Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Simmo said his family considered Perth home, NGL I'd take him if Graham left.
He would be serious top priority to get on board, existing relationship with JL, still a great analyst, stays in footy but judging by his drive by on the media he might be happy sitting on the back bench while staying in Perth.

Only downside would be eagle flogs telling us when we won our flags its because of Simpson.

He would be serious top priority to get on board, existing relationship with JL, still a great analyst, stays in footy but judging by his drive by on the media he might be happy sitting on the back bench while staying in Perth.

Only downside would be eagle flogs telling us when we won our flags its because of Simpson.
We win a flag and what those campaigners say will be so far from my list of worries.

They’ll be like that anyway.
Jaymie graham, and the time JL spent over there.

JL on who might be Simpson’s replacement, including Jaymie Graham.
He’s all class.

"I'm happy to answer those sort of questions down the track. I just don't really feel like now's the time to talk about Simmo's replacement considering all he has done for me. I just feel for him as a person and what he has gone through. It's been a really challenging time given the rebuild they're going through and the youth of their team. He has been front and square with that and the public face of it. I just hope we remember him for his earlier days. He came in and had instant success, a Grand Final in his second year and a flag. He has had an impact on a lot of young men and a lot of coaches who were around him, me being one of them. He should walk out really proud of what he has done. I'm not calling the end of his footy career, but at the end of his time at West Coast he should be really proud.”

JL on who might be Simpson’s replacement, including Jaymie Graham.
He’s all class.

"I'm happy to answer those sort of questions down the track. I just don't really feel like now's the time to talk about Simmo's replacement considering all he has done for me. I just feel for him as a person and what he has gone through. It's been a really challenging time given the rebuild they're going through and the youth of their team. He has been front and square with that and the public face of it. I just hope we remember him for his earlier days. He came in and had instant success, a Grand Final in his second year and a flag. He has had an impact on a lot of young men and a lot of coaches who were around him, me being one of them. He should walk out really proud of what he has done. I'm not calling the end of his footy career, but at the end of his time at West Coast he should be really proud.”

He’s a ****ing gem 😍

They’ll be like that anyway.
Jaymie graham, and the time JL spent over there.
Just counter it with Sam Mitchell winning them the 2018 flag with his cheat Hawthorn tactics learnt from Clarko and they’ll soon shut up

I'm no employment contract expert, but I'd be surprised if there weren't some kind of restraint of trade clause which prevented Simpson from working for a competitor over the timeframe covered by any payout. I.e he wouldn't be able to take on the (paid) role of assistant coach for at least 6 months, but probably more, if his contract is not subject to the 6-month payout clause that AFL-owned clubs are.

Note: someone with specific expertise in this area might yet confirm the fact that I am, indeed, no employment contract expert.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm no employment contract expert, but I'd be surprised if there weren't some kind of restraint of trade clause which prevented Simpson from working for a competitor over the timeframe covered by any payout. I.e he wouldn't be able to take on the (paid) role of assistant coach for at least 6 months, but probably more, if his contract is not subject to the 6-month payout clause that AFL-owned clubs are.

Note: someone with specific expertise in this area might yet confirm the fact that I am, indeed, no employment contract expert.
If he takes another job next season, he will only get part of the payout. You have to have a year/season off to get the full payout amount (Alastair Clarkson).

Personally feel we should make him an offer he'd struggle to refuse. The guy has excellent footy nous and ex-senior coaches have tended to make excellent assistants.

If he takes another job next season, he will only get part of the payout. You have to have a year/season off to get the full payout amount (Alastair Clarkson).

Personally feel we should make him an offer he'd struggle to refuse. The guy has excellent footy nous and ex-senior coaches have tended to make excellent assistants.
I'd have to think we'd be in the box seat. Graham wants to be a head coach so his next move is probably to move interstate and if we get any hint he's leaving we need to be all over Simpson who genuinely seems like he still has a passion for coaching.

Last edited:
Might be my tainted glasses speaking but the eagles coaching gig is a bit of a poison chalice isn’t it?
Coaches generally don’t survive a full rebuild - you’d want most of the future list there, and the eagles aren’t anywhere near it. Simpsons job was borderline untenable given the climate here, but you’d think they’d be a better proposition with another year of culling, drafting and development behind them

Might be my tainted glasses speaking but the eagles coaching gig is a bit of a poison chalice isn’t it?
Coaches generally don’t survive a full rebuild - you’d want most of the future list there, and the eagles aren’t anywhere near it. Simpsons job was borderline untenable given the climate here, but you’d think they’d be a better proposition with another year of culling, drafting and development behind them
Funny mate, I was thinking the exact same thing.

I reckon the 3 front runners (Cox, Hansen & Graham) would be committing career suicide coming back to that dumpster fire. Especially when one of them is part of the succession plan at a pretty well set up club in Sydney.

I know we all joke about it, but Sumich probably is the best candidate for the job if he's available and wants the job. He's an old boy former player so there's a certain passion for the club. He's proven to be serviceable coach in the past, admittedly for U17s I think it was and of course as RTBs assistant back in the day.

On top of all that, since he's hardly a favourite of the club, it'll be easier to give him the arse when he inevitably fails at the job in 3 years while the list managers have been building the club up in the background. That's when you go for the prime candidate coach, when your list looks a lot more attractive.

Plus, it'll all hopefully shut him up and get him off everybody's radar when it's proven beyond a reasonable doubt that he is truly out of his depth and has absolutely no idea what he's doing, let alone talking about. Win/Win for everybody.

That's how I'd do it.

Funny mate, I was thinking the exact same thing.

I reckon the 3 front runners (Cox, Hansen & Graham) would be committing career suicide coming back to that dumpster fire. Especially when one of them is part of the succession plan at a pretty well set up club in Sydney.

I know we all joke about it, but Sumich probably is the best candidate for the job if he's available and wants the job. He's an old boy former player so there's a certain passion for the club. He's proven to be serviceable coach in the past, admittedly for U17s I think it was and of course as RTBs assistant back in the day.

On top of all that, since he's hardly a favourite of the club, it'll be easier to give him the arse when he inevitably fails at the job in 3 years while the list managers have been building the club up in the background. That's when you go for the prime candidate coach, when your list looks a lot more attractive.

Plus, it'll all hopefully shut him up and get him off everybody's radar when it's proven beyond a reasonable doubt that he is truly out of his depth and has absolutely no idea what he's doing, let alone talking about. Win/Win for everybody.

That's how I'd do it.
Look I'd strongly support the Eagles recruiting Sumich as head coach but sadly I don't think they've deviated that far from being well run, even though there's been some head scratchers over the last couple of years.

Look I'd strongly support the Eagles recruiting Sumich as head coach but sadly I don't think they've deviated that far from being well run, even though there's been some head scratchers over the last couple of years.
I just reckon it's gotta be a sacrificial lamb. Somebody to throw to the wolves becuase whoever gets the job, isn't surviving the duration of the rebuild. IMHO.

Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back