Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Who's a better coach, Longmuir or Mitchell?
I got inspired to do a comparison on the numbers. I hope I got these right!

Year 1:
Longmuir (2020) - 7 Wins (from 17 games), 12th
Mitchell (2022) - 8 Wins, 13th

Year 2:
Longmuir (2021) - 10 Wins, 11th
Mitchell (2023) - 7 Wins, 16th

Year 3:
Longmuir (2022) - 15.5 Wins, 5th
Mitchell (2024 so far) - 10 Wins (from 18 games), 11th

I get that there are differences in lists, what kind of set up the coach inherited, and the expectations of the clubs, etc. etc., but Mitchell looks a bit behind the curve for mine.

Of course, if he goes 5 W's from 5 for the rest of 2024 and/or manages to have a Year 4 that keep trending rather than the relative drop off that we had in 2023, then I'd have to revisit that.

And regardless of the stats, I'm pretty comfortable in my belief that Longmuir is a better human being than Mitchell. Though whether that should be a factor in assessing the better coach is a whole other conversation.

It might be bias on all kinds of levels but for mine, Mitchell is getting more put of less (currently). Like Mcrae and Scott, he seems to be able to get a lot out of role players and elevate them. It's also probably bias on how they appear in media but on nothing but feels, Mitchell feels like the better coach.

No one can definitively say who is better though and really, never will be able to, just like you can't really say whether Matthews or Clarkson was a better coach. Just too many other factor that lead to coach success.

All you really want to.be able to say is you have a really good one, I'm pretty positive at this stage we can say we have a really good one.
The amount of glazing Mitchell gets from the Eastern States media (virtually labelling him a genius), even getting minor exposure to that, it'd be natural to form an impression (ie "feel") favouring Mitchell.

But my scepticism of said media glazing had me pondering if there were any metrics supporting that "feel".

My inclination/suspicion is Longmuir's metrics would come out on top. (At some point I'm hopeful to run some stats myself if I get a chance.)

Has to be Mundy, yeah — the only one to have both played with and been coached by Longmuir?
Sounds plausible if the guy played with him and didn’t just make an observation of his abilities even though he didn’t actually run out alongside him. JL was a very good player.

Maybe someone like Bob Murphy - played against him and now coaching under him. He’d fit that description also.

Also have an ITK who’s mates with AP. He says that AP really likes and rates JL so that’s a decent endorsement.

Sounds plausible if the guy played with him and didn’t just make an observation of his abilities even though he didn’t actually run out alongside him. JL was a very good player.

Maybe someone like Bob Murphy - played against him and now coaching under him. He’d fit that description also.

Also have an ITK who’s mates with AP. He says that AP really likes and rates JL so that’s a decent endorsement.

There’s even former players at the club currently in other roles.

Hayden, Johnson, Sandilands, J.Carr and Bell (lol) have all been involved with the club in some capacity since and played with him.

Webster has both played with him and witnessed him as an Assistant Coach.

I’m sure if spent enough time I’d find more too.

Whether Longmuir continues as Freo coach or not beyond this season all comes down to tomorrow nights match. If he loses he must pack his bags by end of the season, pass mark for him to continue as coach must be at least a pre lim final this year
No Way Do Not Want GIF by Schitt's Creek

Whether Longmuir continues as Freo coach or not beyond this season all comes down to tomorrow nights match. If he loses he must pack his bags by end of the season, pass mark for him to continue as coach must be at least a pre lim final this year
Mutterings of a person who will admit they were wrong over their dead body.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lol. he’s almost coach of the year at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He's really coming out of his shell this year. Public bakes and now he's throwing phones. First time I think I've seen him lose his cool.
It's good to see him show some emotion.

He knows we are in with a genuine chance this year.

I am sure he would have given them bake at half time as well because they responded in the second half.

hopefully not

Our assistants are doing well

Adam cna go help coach the AFLW West coast
I mean to be brutally honest....

This time last year, most of us Questioned the coaching staff Justin Longmuir had to work with.

Right now looking at the ladder, things are tight but Freo are doing ok.

Might be my tainted glasses speaking but the eagles coaching gig is a bit of a poison chalice isn’t it?
Coaches generally don’t survive a full rebuild - you’d want most of the future list there, and the eagles aren’t anywhere near it. Simpsons job was borderline untenable given the climate here, but you’d think they’d be a better proposition with another year of culling, drafting and development behind them
You have a good point.

when teams go through a rebuild, it usually means a good 5 or 6 or even 7 years in a row of no finals. So getting a bunch of 18 to 21 year olds in one year means they are 22 to 25 years old 4 years later with years of development. That could mean any amount of games of 50-80 games under the belt.

I look at Carlton for example after Malthouse was sacked in 2015. Brendon Bolton lasted 3 and a half years from 2016-19. David Teague lasted 2 and a half years from 2019-21. Then Voss Became coach at the end of 2021.

If you are undertaking a rebuild which lasts 5 or 6 years , at least one or possibly 2 coaches will get sacked before making finals.

You guys fail to understand Simmo is probably completely burnt out and mentally cooked from this saga - why would he want to join Freo right now when:
a. he is getting paid to not work until end of next year
b. he already is wealthy and doesn't need the money
c. he has coached 11 seasons straight and probably needs a break from footy
Maybe in a year or two, but if f I were him I would be booking a 1 way ticket to a pacific island with my surfboard and leave my phone behind
Sounds about Right.

I predicted Justin Longmuir would last 6 to 8 years here. So from 2020 until 2025 or 2026 or 2027.

Maybe Justin Longmuir will last 10 or 11 or 12 years here at the dockera and take a break or go for another challenge? Who knows?

Bomber Thompson left the cats at the end of 2010 as he was "burnt out". Damien Hardwick left the tigers in the middle of last year as he was burnt out too.

John Worsfold coached the eagles from 2002 until 2013 and he looked like he was Burnt out when he was done.

Ross Lyon was out coach from 2012 until 2019. He lasted 8 years. We sacked him with a year left on his contract. He left the dockers a wealthy man. We were paying him 1 million a year too. He ended up doing media work for a year or 2 until he coached again.

I know everyone wants Justin Longmuir to coach the dockers to our 1st ever flag.

I cant see Justin Longmuir being a coach for freo for 20 seasons.

I can see him last 10 or 11 years and leave. I just hope He guides us to a flag or 2 with this side before he leaves us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back