Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

At the end of the day it’s a result based business. Being 3rd a month ago and dropping out the 8 gives supporters every right to question whether JLO is the right man.

If Fremantle extend Longmuir before next season starts it will be an extremely dumb move. I still question whether Fremantle at the time went through the full process of selecting a coach. There is no doubt that Longmuir being an ex Fremantle person helped him get the job which is extremely narrow minded.

5th season now I just don’t want to see another group of players careers get wasted.
Your time frame is too short and sounds a bit like those who believe in global warming on a hot day and don't on a cold day - yes, studies really do reflect that phenomenon.
Weve lost 3 games by an average of 7 points, two of them to Top 4 sides.
I 100% agree about the need to not waste this playing group. I think JLo has earned 2025.

This is what scares me, GWS wasted an amazing chance due to keeping Cameron for way too long. We have the players to win flags, I just hope we don't waste the opportunity due to keeping a nice Fremantle person around too long.

GWS is a good comparison, because their players were talented enough to carry a mediocre coach to reasonable results, even though they were capable of better.

Questioning Longmuir is fairly justified at the moment, you have to ask what they're actually training during the week if the slow starts and final quarter fade outs still haven't changed.

Your time frame is too short and sounds a bit like those who believe in global warming on a hot day and don't on a cold day - yes, studies really do reflect that phenomenon.
I 100% agree about the need to not waste this playing group. I think JLo has earned 2025.
What? How is the study a bit short?

If anything the study has been going for 5 years now and instead of admitting maybe we got it wrong we are going to keep pumping money into this study to save public face.

I have no problem with JLo continuing next year, but I’d guess that if we miss finals this year, the trigger for his extension has not been pulled and he is coaching for his career in 2025. There will likely not be an extension again until the end of next year, so he’ll have to wear that added media attention, that’s on him.
Regarding his actual performance as a coach, my biggest issue is the conservatism at the selection table. Reidy has just shown he can cut it at AFL level, and while he won’t dominate like Darcy, can hold his own to allow Jackson to play forward and be more damaging when he does go into the ruck, they took Reidy to Melbourne as the emergency for the bombers game, should have given him a debut then in front of friends and family at the G and we probably aren’t in the position we are now. That’s poor selection from the MC, the other one is Brodie missing all year, that just dumbfounds me, if the plan is to sub Fyfe off (which it has been several game this year) then why isn’t Brodie the Sub? The biggest knock is his tank, but playing for a quarter when everyone else is gassed would be the perfect scenario for him and would be much more effective than playing JOM, Ras, Worner or Aish as sub.
I have no idea who has final say at MC but some of our decisions have been really poor.

Last edited:
I think a finals clause is essential from this point. They don't have to exercise it, but the club should have the option.
I’m sure at the time of the one year extension (for 2025) when probed by the media, JLo mentioned there were clauses built into it that both he and the club had agreed to that would let results determine the ultimate length of the deal. Finals in 2024 probably trigger a 2026 deal, finals in both 2024&5 probably triggered 2027 as well, this is just me speculating but it was definitely mentioned at the time.

At the end of the day it’s a result based business. Being 3rd a month ago and dropping out the 8 gives supporters every right to question whether JLO is the right man.

If Fremantle extend Longmuir before next season starts it will be an extremely dumb move. I still question whether Fremantle at the time went through the full process of selecting a coach. There is no doubt that Longmuir being an ex Fremantle person helped him get the job which is extremely narrow minded.

5th season now I just don’t want to see another group of players careers get wasted.
They clearly didn’t.

They picked the coach first then went through the charade of having a selection process.

GWS is a good comparison, because their players were talented enough to carry a mediocre coach to reasonable results, even though they were capable of better.
Agree. Although we’re a finals quality team that doesn’t make finals. They were a potential dynasty that got pumped in a sole GF appearance.

What? How is the study a bit short?

If anything the study has been going for 5 years now and instead of admitting maybe we got it wrong we are going to keep pumping money into this study to save public face.
The post I replied to specifically refers to the past month.

Jobs for the boys.

I don't buy that Longmuir was the best choice. I think he was the best fit from a PR perspective and the board are more interested in being financially successful than successful on field. Ross was clear in his final presser that the board had told him he wouldn't be renewed even if he was successful. I don't believe they seriously canvassed the marketplace for the best guy. I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't even talk to the other 4 coaches that got appointed.

I'm struggling to think of a coach that played for a club returning as a senior coach with success and I can't think of any good examples.

I would agree with Salim completely in saying that the media conference was underwhelming. I found it cringeworthy and turned it off.

Just shy of 5 years on. Hate to say a toe to sew.

Lyon would actually have had a serious chance with this list. He is the exact type of coach we now need and we have Buckleys chance of attracting a coaching and football talent like him to WA.

He's since proven he's still one of the best coaches in the league. I said a few times on here that I would rather lose Fyfe than Lyon and I stand by it.

Attitudes reflect leadership. The standards you walk past are the standards you accept. Ross gave us some backbone. An identity. Some relevance. It was a once in a lifetime shot that got him here in the first place and we traded it all in so an image obsessed president could get himself a cheap headline.

The club needs to really nail this coming draft and trade period.We have a good hand and hopefully we can load up on maybe another good big bodied mid, and please no Brodie comments.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

first real season of our forward line together with treacy, jackson, amiss and sturt showing a lot of chemistry and becoming a real strength of ours. still clearly lacking a small crumber and the pressure of 2022 is missing big time but we are much more potent now which is a necessity come finals.

our midfield has seen a massive jump from last year in perfomance and with youngs first full year in the guts we see how pivotal he is to our success. weve also seen a switch mid year with young, serong, brayshaw all consistently hitting the scoreboard.

tough to swallow these close losses but with a full hand of picks we can bring in some elite talent to tick us over into bonafide conteders next season

Would Nathan Buckley be useful, word is he's short of cash and therefore might be more open to moving across the country.

Buckley would be great if Freo could get him?

Not sure if he would have any desire to move to WA however?

And I don't think he is the type of person who would like to be seen ousting his friend JLo. Hypothetically if he was interested he would insist on a transparent process (just the way I perceive him to be based on not much other than how he comes over in the media) Anyway it probably won't happen.

Sheesh! There are a lot of kicked dogs mauling anyone who walks by with black skinny trousers and RM's on here at the moment.

Reading this thread leaves me feeling almost too overstimulated to form an opinion, I could've sworn I woke up today sure that we're closer than we've ever been to seriously contending, with no list profile cliff for close to a decade to worry about.

I mean the way some people are carrying on, you'd think we hadn't dramatically changed our footy style over the last 24 months.

And isn't this all a week early? or 53?

The retired true crime buff in me can smell the heady musk of a whole heap of Freo fans who have been walking around at home/work with their chests pumped out like we'd already made finals and won the bloody thing.

Let me ask some questions.

If we're not going to honour a contract that the ink hasnt even dried on, then why should any of our players?

Name one coach not named Leigh or Mick who won a flag at two clubs?

Who wants Clarkson now? Who wants Dimma now? Both uber talented lists with similar age profiles to us, who got their super coach.

Alot of people cherry picking Sam Mitchell as a comparison to Longy. Ever heard the saying "Winners focus on winning. Losers focus on winners"

How about we all focus on winning on Sunday? And save the voodoo dolls for more pressing times.

Even a win on Sunday is no guarantee of a final

And if we make finals we still need to win

MAybe too early to call for Coach changes. but it not too early to alert the BOARD we WANT PREMIERSHIPS not just being competitive

It is a journey yes. But the games we lossed due to our inabilty to keep pressure on need to be fixes. We need to demonstrate a 4 qtr pressure game

Lyon would actually have had a serious chance with this list. He is the exact type of coach we now need and we have Buckleys chance of attracting a coaching and football talent like him to WA.

He's since proven he's still one of the best coaches in the league. I said a few times on here that I would rather lose Fyfe than Lyon and I stand by it.

Attitudes reflect leadership. The standards you walk past are the standards you accept. Ross gave us some backbone. An identity. Some relevance. It was a once in a lifetime shot that got him here in the first place and we traded it all in so an image obsessed president could get himself a cheap headline.
You need to go support St Kilda like you were in round 1 of the season when they played Collingwood

You really need to move on from that slug.

Even a win on Sunday is no guarantee of a final

And if we make finals we still need to win

MAybe too early to call for Coach changes. but it not too early to alert the BOARD we WANT PREMIERSHIPS not just being competitive

It is a journey yes. But the games we lossed due to our inabilty to keep pressure on need to be fixes. We need to demonstrate a 4 qtr pressure game
As long as we make the finals and give a good account of ourselves.
It will be an experience for the players. They will know just what is expected after playing one final. We are capble of beating any team on the day.We get in there, we are a chance.

As long as we make the finals and give a good account of ourselves.
It will be an experience for the players. They will know just what is expected after playing one final. We are capble of beating any team on the day.We get in there, we are a chance.
yes you maybe right. it is just another year on our journeyt

Sadly that is what has been told us by the club for 30 years.

IT all learning ., we always getting better.

WE can jsut hope

yes you maybe right. it is just another year on our journeyt

Sadly that is what has been told us by the club for 30 years.

IT all learning ., we always getting better.

WE can jsut hope
Sadly the last 30 years we can not take back, but we can and must look forward to the future.
Making the finals will be a start .

Those forgetting the past are doomed to repeat them

So yes we look forward.. but dont ever forget what came before.
You learn the lessons, but you don't dwell in the misery.

The majority of our list wasn't even born in 1995. Everything up until about 10 years ago is completely irrelevant. And the 5 years after that is only relevant for the current players that were around then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back