Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I wish I had your confidence.

I don't see Freo winning a flag with this group. There are so many factors going against us.

I still think Justin Longmuir will have that 8 to 10 year stint as coach.

I really hoped at worst we have a similar stint like Chris Scott at North Melbourne.

They made finals in 2012, 2014-6.

We made finals in 2022. Hoping we make finals in 2024-26.

If we don't win a flag with this group we might as well just pack it in, this is about as good as we can hope for tbh.

I don't see Freo winning a flag with this group. There are so many factors going against us.

I really hoped at worst we have a similar stint like Chris Scott at North Melbourne.

Brad at North Melbourne or Chris at Geelong? Certainly the latter is more appealing. Perennial finalists for 10+ years and bagged out for not taking it all...until they did.

Another preseason into Amiss, Draper, Jackson. Get in a ready to go quality small/med fwd or two and some luck with injury and we're a good a chance as anyone next year I'd bet.

If we can keep Switta/Sturt and bring in Bolton I would have us as the favourites. Might be a bit nuffy given we are unlikely to even make finals this year but the talent we have is insane and will only get better.

Brad at North Melbourne or Chris at Geelong? Certainly the latter is more appealing. Perennial finalists for 10+ years and bagged out for not taking it all...until they did.
Brad Scott at North Melbourne.

North Melbourne were finals contenders almost every year in the 2010s

What makes Longmire and Chris Scott elite coaches? Longmire 1 flag in 15 years with all the free academy players the greatest fwd of all time in buddy and cola for half those years doesn’t sound like it’s been successful to me
Scott 1 flag in 12 years that first flag doesn’t count I could’ve coached that team to a flag it coached its self. The second flag was about recruiting danger and Jcam for cheap and had an elite team. Everyone talks about how good these 2 coaches are but I feel like they’ve underachieved massively with the benefits both clubs get ( Geelong get to recruit country players with ease and stars for less money)
There is only 2 elite coaches in the game Hardwick and Clarkson.
JLs game style is a funny one we seem to match up well with the best of the best by no real killer instinct to put away shit teams. The thing with that is finals is defensive type games which suits us to a T the only problem is getting there. Once we get to finals constantly I don’t think we will be outsiders in any game

What makes Longmire and Chris Scott elite coaches? Longmire 1 flag in 15 years with all the free academy players the greatest fwd of all time in buddy and cola for half those years doesn’t sound like it’s been successful to me
Scott 1 flag in 12 years that first flag doesn’t count I could’ve coached that team to a flag it coached its self. The second flag was about recruiting danger and Jcam for cheap and had an elite team. Everyone talks about how good these 2 coaches are but I feel like they’ve underachieved massively with the benefits both clubs get ( Geelong get to recruit country players with ease and stars for less money)
JLs game style is a funny one we seem to match up well with the best of the best by no real killer instinct to put away shit teams. The thing with that is finals is defensive type games which suits us to a T the only problem is getting there. Once we get to finals constantly I don’t think we will be outsiders in any game
1'm 99% sure the players make more difference than the coach. I think you can be a bad coach, but I don't think there's that much difference between a good one and a great one.

I do think whoever was responsible for the Tigers gameplan change in 2017 did a great job. Rumour was that wasn't Hardwick or at least not him alone.

Hardwick's real legacy will be decided by what happens at the Suns now.

Clarkson’s Hawks didn’t have that killer instinct till they beat us in the 2013 GF either. Despite winning in 2008, they choked numerous times trying to get back there. We smashed them in the middle, just too many players shitting the bed with their disposals/shots & some dubious umpiring getting them over the line.

Flip that result and maybe no Dynasty. It seems to be fine margins in the comp and the winners are lauded as the best ever when in reality, they might only just pip their rivals.

Our team still has huge scope for improvement but the coaching group has more to learn as well from this season.

I’d argue that Clarkson and Hardwick aren’t elite either, look at how bad North are and Hardwick can’t win on the road (which was fine when he coached a big vic team that played 16+ games at the G every year, he is on record as saying he hated Marvel FFS).

1'm 99% sure the players make more difference than the coach. I think you can be a bad coach, but I don't think there's that much difference between a good one and a great one.

I do think whoever was responsible for the Tigers gameplan change in 2017 did a great job. Rumour was that wasn't Hardwick or at least not him alone.

Hardwick's real legacy will be decided by what happens at the Suns now.
Laughable.

Attitudes reflect leadership.

The head coach is a role model as much as anything.

Tell me how Michael Walters made a difference in the first half of 2012.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scott has a stunning win loss record over 14 seasons. Simply unparalleled

I really hoped at worst we have a similar stint like Brad Scott at North Melbourne.

Jesus! Have to disagree with you here. This is the group that will probably win it for us and I honestly believe that despite my gripes.

Our 2003-2008 team was fantastic and with the right coach I have no doubt that we should have made a grand final. Cuddles sadly didn't have the killer instinct. Our 2010-2015 team was good but Lyon was dealing with a host of aging players, and burgeoning superstars who would inevitably, when they hit their peak, the old guys were cooked. Imagine having peak Fyfe, Hasleby, Pav, Sandi, Black and J-lo in the team. Just add in Headland, Farmer and Bell as well and or the players we would have drafted had we not sacrificed the picks and gee we would have been unbeatable.

While it is true that J-lo seems to be history repeating itself, I honestly believe that there's a couple of different factors that will prevent us from going down the same road.

One: We are not throwing away draft picks for terrible recruits like we did in the past. And I'll say it again, picks were wasted on Farmer, Croad, Bell, Carr, Tarrant, Hogan, Bennell, McCarthy and many others. We will not go down this road again as the criticism would destroy this club and quite simply the supporters would riot. I think we have learnt from our mistakes. So while we talk about Bolton, Baker and Warner we won't sell the farm to get them.

Two: As a club, the Harvey/Lyon affair proved that we weren't going to accept second best any more. So J-lo will coach as long as he provides results but honestly, if he can't get us into the finals next year then I have no doubt he is out. Cuddles, Harvey in the past were given too much time.

Three: We are building a team around top draft picks much like Geelong did 1999-2011, Hawks 2002-2015. Melbourne 2015-2022 etc (we dates are estimates but those early years are when they got their crop). We have a load of proven potential that if kept together will be a forced to be reckoned.

At this point, the only thing that can stop us winning a flag is the coach. If he can't then we will move on quick and we will get the right person. Longmire, Scott, even Beveridge would be chomping at the bit to get their hands on this squad.

Pencil it in 2026-2028.

Last edited:
Jesus! Have to disagree with you here. This is the group that will probably win it for us and I honestly believe that despite my gripes.

Our 2003-2008 team was fantastic and with the right coach I have no doubt that we should have made a grand final. Cuddles sadly didn't have the killer instinct. Our 2010-2015 team was good but Lyon was dealing with a host of aging players, and burgeoning superstars who would inevitably, when they hit their peak, the old guys were cooked. Imagine having peak Fyfe, Hasleby, Pav, Sandi, Black and J-lo in the team. Just add in Headland, Farmer and Bell as well and or the players we would have drafted had we not sacrificed the picks and gee we would have been unbeatable.

While it is true that J-lo seems to be history repeating itself, I honestly believe that there's a couple of different factors that will prevent us from going down the same road.

One: We are not throwing away draft picks for terrible recruits like we did in the past. And I'll say it again, picks were wasted on Farmer, Croad, Bell, Carr, Tarrant, Hogan, Bennell, McCarthy and many others. We will not go down this road again as the criticism would destroy this club and quite simply the supporters would riot. I think we have learnt from our mistakes. So while we talk about Bolton, Baker and Warner we won't sell the farm to get them.

Two: As a club, the Harvey/Lyon affair proved that we weren't going to accept second best any more. So J-lo will coach as long as he provides results but honestly, if he can't get us into the finals next year then I have no doubt he is out. Cuddles, Harvey in the past were given too much time.

Three: We are building a team around top draft picks much like Geelong did 1999-2011, Hawks 2002-2015. Melbourne 2015-2022 etc (we dates are estimates but those early years are when they got their crop). We have a load of proven potential that if kept together will be a forced to be reckoned.

At this point, the only thing that can stop us winning a flag is the coach. If he can't then we will move on quick and we will get the right person. Longmire, Scott, even Beveridge would be chomping at the bit to get their hands on this squad.

Pencil it in 2026-2028.
The Lyon team had good role players and Lyon knew how to get the best out of them. Mzungu, Spur, Sutcliffe, the pearceys, Crowley, Suban, Dawson. All those guys (aside from Sutcliffe) all had a party trick they were really good at. Tank in the 4th, Pressure, Pace, Lockdown, Feralness and a boot, golden fist. I think a good chunk of our bottom 6 at the moment lack a party trick. Banfield, JOM, Aish, Chapman (Not sold), Worner, Wagner, Emmet. Not sure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back