Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve tried the backing through adversity for 30 years. It hasn’t worked. Not changing anything and expecting to improve is not going to work and hasn’t yet. Try something different. Turn the place upside down. We don’t know unless we try it. Stop being conservative.
Chopping and changing plans rarely yields results either. Consistent movement in one direction is what's required. Until the players give up on JL, he's our best option. We've been in every game this past horror month, that at least tells us they haven't given up. They're just not handling the pressure, yet.

Chopping and changing plans rarely yields results either. Consistent movement in one direction is what's required. Until the players give up on JL, he's our best option. We've been in every game this past horror month, that at least tells us they haven't given up. They're just not handling the pressure, yet.
So the **** what if we have been in every game. But after winning 1 in 8 decided by 2 goals and the 1 was because Logan McDonald shanked a gettable kick, there is something seriously wrong with the method or the message. That’s on JL

It’s the shots we didn’t get to take that cost us in the 2nd half. The lack of composure from about half way through the third in our forward half where we created separation or 1v1’s & couldn’t even get a shot away was extremely frustating.
Yep. Which is why the expected score is so misleading. It only counts the shots we took not the countless opportunities we ****ed up in the first place.

yeah well.... Insanity is doing the exact same thing over and over and expecting different reults .

Ross Lyon was copped for doing the exact same thing for 8 seasons.

I back Jl.

The players though. Surely. 4 straight ****ing weeks on the line, surely the players don’t crumble.

Jl coaches this team to an extent, it’s the players that have to stand up.
4.6 to 4.0.
4.6!
Wagner and Sharp asking for the ball 20m away from the kicker. Spare me

Switta gets a mark inside 50, 35m out. I said to my dad- watch, he ll miss this and won’t make it.
What happened next play? The ball ends up at the other end with JHF roasting a perfectly straight drop punt halfway up the goal posts 50m out.

Could Ross Lyon coach this team ? I don’t know, because just dont see any clutch, nor edge or hard but within this group.
No one to just get in there and have 10+ tackles.
But is that not a reflection of the coach's style? He appears insipid and uninspiring in his press conferences, and seemingly has no "mongrel" himself, so how does he instil that in his players?

But is that not a reflection of the coach's style? He appears insipid and uninspiring in his press conferences, and seemingly has no "mongrel" himself, so how does he instil that in his players?
Ross wasn’t inspiring nor motivational in press conferences.

Ross wasn’t inspiring nor motivational in press conferences.
Yes, but at least he had Ryan Crowley in the team! Not that I was an admirer of Lyon either, but JL just seems like he couldn't punch his way out of a wet paper bag, and the team plays like that whenever hard pressure is applied.

I think people are forgetting the impact of having your spine removed from the game. If we weren't missing Pearce, Darcy and Treacy we probably would have won one more game and secured finals. The one point I do agree with, though, is the lack of intensity/pressure. That you cannot excuse. Regardless, JLo will be given the final year of his contract before they make a move on him. Let's hope he pulls through, otherwise we need to throw everything at Chris Scott.

I think people are forgetting the impact of having your spine removed from the game. If we weren't missing Pearce, Darcy and Treacy we probably would have won one more game and secured finals. The one point I do agree with, though, is the lack of intensity/pressure. That you cannot excuse. Regardless, JLo will be given the final year of his contract before they make a move on him. Let's hope he pulls through, otherwise we need to throw everything at Chris Scott.
Agree to a certain extent.
But teams have gone into finals and won flags off losing spine players. It happens.
The capitalisation of the club when Treacy gets a knock? Really?
Was expecting some inspiring, next player up challenge like that when Fremantle played North in 2012 with Pavlich out. Never got it.

Agree to a certain extent.
But teams have gone into finals and won flags off losing spine players. It happens.
The capitalisation of the club when Treacy gets a knock? Really?
Was expecting some inspiring, next player up challenge like that when Fremantle played North in 2012 with Pavlich out. Never got it.

Have to over come it. West Coast won a premiership missing the Palm tree, Brad Shepherd and that gormless sniping campaigner…

Have to over come it. West Coast won a premiership missing the Palm tree, Brad Shepherd and that gormless sniping campaigner…
Exactly.
AA Ruck, elite defender and elite wing.

Treacy wasn’t even a B22 start of this season.

Pearce. I’m always expecting him to get some freak, demoralising injury. He got it this season.

Darcy isn’t new. It’s the coaches fault not supporting Reidy early and just roll the dice with him. Darcy has been unfit for years now. But suddenly because he’s out, can’t win? Spare me. The team play half a season with him anyway

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why do people bring up Chris Scott? Why on earth would he ever come to Freo? Contender to disappointment. He's got it made in the shade with Geelong.

Exactly.
AA Ruck, elite defender and elite wing.

Treacy wasn’t even a B22 start of this season.

Pearce. I’m always expecting him to get some freak, demoralising injury. He got it this season.

Darcy isn’t new. It’s the coaches fault not supporting Reidy early and just roll the dice with him. Darcy has been unfit for years now. But suddenly because he’s out, can’t win? Spare me. The team play half a season with him anyway

For me the priorities this year are:

Get Warner, abolition n and Baker if possible.
If no Warner, get another small forward, through either draft or cheap trade.

Fast track Cooper Simpson to a wing, and Max Knobel.

IMO by end of 2026 he needs to be close to number one ruck.
I never want to see Treacy rucking, and Jackson should only be ruck relief.

We need some fail safes

Oof ! Imagine !

riot GIF

Lol looks like our fwd line trying to tackle a port player

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pretty interesting timing.

We're only hours away from the first real test against an AFL opposition, a time when almost unanimously clubs are in the 'finding out' phase and the club has seemingly decided that results be damned, we're extending now anyway.

Kind of proves the point some on here have been saying (Joao for example) that he's safer than the general public thinks. But it simultaneously proves the point that those of us who think he's been wrong from the start have been trying to make is that they are measuring something different to us.

I think this just highlights that the Dockers don't have 'win the flag' as a goal at the start of each pre-season. 'Win the flag next year' is probably the most accurate way to describe it. It feels like the club thinks that this group of players is so good that once they reach the magical age and games of experience intersection on a graph they will suddenly be able to contend and a flag is inevitable.

I'll be interested to see how they go on the weekend, winning is the only way the noise actually goes away.

King or dunce, you take your clips and your buckets. - even though the board does have a pretty good knack for talking their way out of trouble.
I know this is going back a long way but this season just makes me agree more with this line of thinking.

I also could not be more convinced that it's the wrong path to take.

Just expecting things to happen.

My point was Hardwick was an outlier. Most coaches achieve consistency and success much earlier. McCrae won a premiership in his second year, Beveridge in his second year, Roos in his third year, Clarkson in his fourth, Simpson and Goodwin in their fifth (after making it much deeper in prior years than Longmuir has)

Why is Longmuir taking so long?
I’ll ask again. Why is Longmuir taking so long? Our list wasn’t a complete shitshow when he took over. It wasn’t North or West Coast bad. And yet 1-4 for finals appearances in that time, and that sole appearance was not top four.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back