Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

The 1 year extension makes things interesting. It was essentially kicking the can down the road, because we didn't have faith in a long term deal for him. What it said was "Let's see how you go this year".

Well this year was 10th with an end of season capitulation. Let's see if that's considered good enough for the board.

Name one.
Hawthorn.

Now hears a question for you. What are we bottom 4 in the league for pressure and whose fault is it? The players or the game plan.
Pressure.
The one thing every single AFL coach ever, table non stop about.
And we are bottom 4 in it.

Hawthorn.

Now hears a question for you. What are we bottom 4 in the league for pressure and whose fault is it? The players or the game plan.
Pressure.
Take this to the list management thread I reckon. People want goal scoring forwards but we're going nowhere until our forward pressure is in the top eight. A fair bit of that is personnel - it's a taller forward line without any small nimble players outside of the HFFs.

The worst thing if Longmuir goes 4-8 at the halfway point next year and we sack him is that Graham will take over as interim so we will then waste the year as we cant approach anyone decent until the end of the next season so
I’d agree on Geelong and Hawks. The Dogs and Carlton have a better list.
The Blues have a lot of spuds in their team.

Hawthorn.

Pressure.
Not sure. I guess its the players who have to apply pressure?

I just want to say this.... If we ever make back to back finals or make finals for 2 years in a row, we should celebrate that as much as a premiership LoL

We should be happy if we make back to back Elim final losses if we ever do that again in my life time.

That is how high I am setting the bar lol

So the **** what if we have been in every game. But after winning 1 in 8 decided by 2 goals and the 1 was because Logan McDonald shanked a gettable kick, there is something seriously wrong with the method or the message. That’s on JL
Hang on, so our game style gets us in games, in a winnable position to the point where we are are in front late in the last quarter in most of them & your saying it’s the coaches fault we can’t finish off??

The method you mention gets to that point that is taught by the coaches & the players can’t finish it off. That’s on the players not the coach.

There’s no doubt a lot of the preseason will trained on those end scenarios so the players don’t shit the bed. If we haven’t done enough of this, then that’s on the coaches, but really that is just executing under pressure which is hard to replicate at training.

Not sure. I guess its the players who have to apply pressure?
When it’s a consistent trait it’s not the players it’s the brand. Listen to JLo after the game “can’t fault the effort” was said 4-5 times. What effort? We played that game like it was a standard home and away match, if you can’t get up for what is essentially an elimination final at home then that’s on the coach. All week I bet it was drilled into them that this is just another game, trust your role etc etc.

RonnieRaven you still got faith with Justin Longmuir?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hang on, so our game style gets us in games, in a winnable position to the point where we are are in front late in the last quarter in most of them & your saying it’s the coaches fault we can’t finish off??

The method you mention gets to that point that is taught by the coaches & the players can’t finish it off. That’s on the players not the coach.

There’s no doubt a lot of the preseason will trained on those end scenarios so the players don’t shit the bed. If we haven’t done enough of this, then that’s on the coaches, but really that is just executing under pressure which is hard to replicate at training.
Are we in games because of the style or because the talent is too good not to be? If north play with 160 pressure rating they are losing by 100+ every week. Hell if Geelong play with that level of “effort” they are probably bottom 4.

Hawthorn.

Pressure.
Our pressure was marginally higher than Ports in the last yesterday, yes it’s the pressure you bring, buts what’s equally important, probably more for us is being able to execute under pressure & our players can’t do that yet.

To survive he's got to be ruthless.
That means Fyfe, Walters out unless no better options.
And there are better options. Fyfe was a liability in the middle yesterday. Port's mids way too quick.
We need speed in the middle and speed in the forward line. All our speed is in defence.
And Fred should be at Peel until he pushes his way in.
He was horrible yesterday

When it’s a consistent trait it’s not the players it’s the brand. Listen to JLo after the game “can’t fault the effort” was said 4-5 times. What effort? We played that game like it was a standard home and away match, if you can’t get up for what is essentially an elimination final at home then that’s on the coach. All week I bet it was drilled into them that this is just another game, trust your role etc etc.
I don't think we lost due to effort anyway. Ithink we lost because A) Port were/are a very good team who outclassed us in the 2nd half and B) our front half didn't make the most of their opportunities (we had the same amount of scoring shots). There were also some seriously horrendous inside 50s.

I don't think we lost due to effort anyway. Ithink we lost because A) Port were/are a very good team who outclassed us in the 2nd half and B) our front half didn't make the most of their opportunities (we had the same amount of scoring shots). There were also some seriously horrendous inside 50s.
We watched a different game, the pressure we brought after half time was that of a side finishing 15th with nothing to play for. We lost the game in the first ten mins of that third quarter due to zero intensity IMO.

I think we’re stuck with JL now on this particular iteration of our continuous rebuild. Clubs generally sack coaches towards the end of a season, and I can’t recall any team making finals (let alone being in flag contention) having sacked their coach mid-season. But my memory isn’t as good as it used to be.

If JL isn’t sacked this off season, then 2025 is going to be either heaven or hell for us. There’s no middle ground where he goes mid-season and we magically make a run into premiership contention.

The Club really needs to decide before trade week(s) whether they back him in or give him the boot. The 1 year extension at the start of the year and accompanying reasons for it (remove the media noise) has left them in a quandary. If they give him the boot, they’ll be crucified for the 1 year extension. If they don’t and we have a 2025 like we have 2024, then the opportunity to actually compete with the big boys may well be lost.

After being invested in this Club since inception, I fully expect we will give JL a 2 year extension this off season and then sack him in 2 years time with 1 year left on that contract and no flags.

Sorry to be so down on this Monday morning.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
The one year extension has only left them in a quandary if they blink and don't follow through on the reasoning behind it.

It was a sound decision, they gave him every chance this year and unfortunately he's come up short.

If they follow through on the plan they should start planning for his replacement today, if they haven't already started.

But the more likely thing, as you say, is they will blink. We're not a ruthless club. The board isn't ruthless and it filters down to the coach and playing group.

On the flip side of that, if I can be conciliatory to Bell and the coach for a moment, it's increasingly obvious the club did need healing after that one time in our history we were relevant because we were ruthless, but by the end that regime went too far and carried on too long. In retrospect, he's probably been the perfect choice to recalibrate and bring some humanity back. I think he's made an important contribution.

But it's time to get ruthless again. Does the board have it in them? We'll see, I am not holding my breath

Our pressure was marginally higher than Ports in the last yesterday, yes it’s the pressure you bring, buts what’s equally important, probably more for us is being able to execute under pressure & our players can’t do that yet.
What pressure did we see after halftime.

We came out snoozing and i reckon that 10 min period cost us we had to play behind the 2nd whole half and panicked for the rest of it.

Seriously i reckon we bring the heat straight after HT yesterday and win the first 10 mins of that quarter and jump to a 3 goal lead we win.

I think Port would have dropped off and the crowd would have been up and about which got us home and we would have fed off it.

What pressure did we see after halftime.

We came out snoozing and i reckon that 10 min period cost us we had to play behind the 2nd whole half and panicked for the rest of it.

Seriously i reckon we bring the heat straight after HT yesterday and win the first 10 mins of that quarter and jump to a 3 goal lead we win.

I think Port would have dropped off and the crowd would have been up and about which got us home and we would have fed off it.
Bingo. To come out after half time like that was pathetic. That has to be on the coach as I have no doubt he pushed the “it’s just like any other game” mantra HARD at half time.

We watched a different game, the pressure we brought after half time was that of a side finishing 15th with nothing to play for. We lost the game in the first ten mins of that third quarter due to zero intensity IMO.
Fair enough. I guess that's the beauty of footy. 2 people can watch the same game and see it 2 different ways. Happy to agree to disagree and move on.

Being in games and winning are two different things.

So players are responsible for fitness programs designed to run out games? Players are responsible for implementing and training both match winning and match saving scenarios to the point that they become natural. Are players responsible for match committee, like choosing an obviously injured Darcy against Essendon?

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back