Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

What pressure did we see after halftime.

We came out snoozing and i reckon that 10 min period cost us we had to play behind the 2nd whole half and panicked for the rest of it.

Seriously i reckon we bring the heat straight after HT yesterday and win the first 10 mins of that quarter and jump to a 3 goal lead we win.

I think Port would have dropped off and the crowd would have been up and about which got us home and we would have fed off it.
Yesterday's loss scarily reminds me about that infamous 2015 preliminary final loss to the hawks.

We brought the effort but you knew deep inside Freo wasnt gonna win and you knew Freo would fall short.

I did shed tears when we lost that 2015 preliminary final.

I didn't shed a tear yesterday. I didn't care. We as dockers fans are used to it.

We are used to losing.

We are used to being pathetic.

We are used to being mocked and laughed at.

We are used to have people get behind us to knocked off a hated side and let everyone down by losing.

We are used to being mediocre.

We are used to being garbage.

We are used to putting time and effort and money to this club.

We are used to broken promises.

We are used to try and defend our club when the put up embarrassing performances like this game.

We are used to seeing other clubs winning flags while we fall short.

Most importantly we are used to accepting a losing culture.

We can't say well... Yeah we are in bad times but at least we can look back at the flags we won. But he can't because we haven't won one.

We look at all the other non Vic sides. Adelaide, Brisbane, Port Adelaide, Sydney and west coast all won a flag.

GWS looks like winning one soon, possibly this year. I won't be shocked if the suns won one before us.

Do you know why? Because we are used to it.

Why invest time effort supporting this club when they don't care about us?

When it’s a consistent trait it’s not the players it’s the brand. Listen to JLo after the game “can’t fault the effort” was said 4-5 times. What effort? We played that game like it was a standard home and away match, if you can’t get up for what is essentially an elimination final at home then that’s on the coach. All week I bet it was drilled into them that this is just another game, trust your role etc etc.

Interesting. When they showed the pressure meter on Fox yesterday both teams were towards the top of the elite end with ours slightly higher.

It was skills & ability to execute under pressure. Nothing to do with lack of effort.

Interesting. When they showed the pressure meter on Fox yesterday both teams were towards the top of the elite end with ours slightly higher.

It was skills & ability to execute under pressure. Nothing to do with lack of effort.
Not for the whole game it wasn't.

And its not just this game, we're bottom 3 or 4 for pressure this year.

Being in games and winning are two different things.

So players are responsible for fitness programs designed to run out games? Players are responsible for implementing and training both match winning and match saving scenarios to the point that they become natural. Are players responsible for match committee, like choosing an obviously injured Darcy against Essendon?
25 points up with 7 minutes to go v Essendon. That’s the players, whether Darcy is fit or not.
You can pick & choose continuously to blame the coaches with no blame on the players. Have you played footy?

I'd personally argue our pressure and effort was as good as its been all year, we just couldn't deal with Ports. I'm pretty sure the stats would back that up as well.

Same with all these last 3 games, we weren't bad, just not good enough. I don't know if that's better or worse

I'd personally argue our pressure and effort was as good as its been all year, we just couldn't deal with Ports. I'm pretty sure the stats would back that up as well.

Same with all these last 3 games, we weren't bar, just not good enough. I don't know if that's better or worse
It's better if we can improve it but there doesn't appear to be an appetite for that.

That was only in the final quarter.

Midway though Q3 it was 210 to 162 in favour of them.
Unbelievable really.

Not for the whole game it wasn't.

And its not just this game, we're bottom 3 or 4 for pressure this year.
In the second quarter we miss basic shots from players like Frederick, Sharp, Switta and Serong a couple of times wheras they nail most of their shots in the first half. We should have been 4 goals up at half time.

With Longmuir's contract running out at the end of 2025 the club faces an interesting situation.
If they don't extend, and JLO coaches through until the end of the season, there will be extreme pressure applied to the club from the media. Win or lose.
That situation could become a major problem for the club.
If he is again extended for just one season there is also going to be plenty of questions regarding the club not having the confidence in him to extend longer than one year.
Do the club have the confidence to give him more than a single year extension?

With Longmuir's contract running out at the end of 2025 the club faces an interesting situation.
If they don't extend, and JLO coaches through until the end of the season, there will be extreme pressure applied to the club from the media. Win or lose.
That situation could become a major problem for the club.
If he is again extended for just one season there is also going to be plenty of questions regarding the club not having the confidence in him to extend longer than one year.
Do the club have the confidence to give him more than a single year extension?
Its a terrible situation, if we are failing halfway through the season they appoint Graham as an interim and then we waste another season.

That was only in the final quarter.

Midway though Q3 it was 210 to 162 in favour of them.
Unbelievable really.
What's really odd is how we came out in the 3rd quarter was on the back of Fyfe doing Fyfe things of old on the half time siren. Shit like that is the easiest team lifter of them all for a coach, just stand Fyfe up in the rooms at half time, point to him and say that is how ****ing much it means to him to play finals, what does it mean to the rest of you? I'll bet my bottom dollar it didn't happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

25 points up with 7 minutes to go v Essendon. That’s the players, whether Darcy is fit or not.
You can pick & choose continuously to blame the coaches with no blame on the players. Have you played footy?
There is some blame on the players but ultimately the buck stops with the coach. If the players arent continually carrying out directives, drop them and send a message. We weren't strong enough to stop Essendon coming out of stoppage through the front of the contest. Is that on the players, maybe, a bit is player mindset but it totally is about tactics and match saving scenarios and the way you set up. If Darcy was fit, we are probably 8 goals up at that stage and safe and not having this conversation. Go back and watch that game to see how poo he was.

Same with all these last 3 games, we weren't bad, just not good enough. I don't know if that's better or worse

At the game it was pretty noticeable that we were not switched on during periods of the 3rd quarter.

The free kick that was given away by Fyfe that resulted in a goal was a massive momentum breaker for the team. I felt like Port were starting to feel the pressure but we let them off the hook in Freo style.

My biggest takeaway from the game was the forward line did not function well at all. We laid 9 tackles inside 50 and we didn't really draw any head-high frees as well. The forwards missed too many easy opportunities when we were finally able to generate a shot.

In the second quarter we miss basic shots from players like Frederick, Sharp, Switta and Serong a couple of times wheras they nail most of their shots in the first half. We should have been 4 goals up at half time.
100% agree, but the lack of intensity is still a massive problem in games and across the season.

We started the last quarter at over 200 but we were at 160 for the start of the third which imo is where we lost the game. I refuse to believe that we gave enough effort over the whole game given what was on the line.

We started the last quarter at over 200 but we were at 160 for the start of the third which imo is where we lost the game. I refuse to believe that we gave enough effort over the whole game given what was on the line.
and yet Serong ran into an open goal in the last 5 minutes to put us in front.
Games always ebb & flow and once again we put ourselves in a position to win when it counted and we failed to execute.

and yet Serong ran into an open goal in the last 5 minutes to put us in front.
Games always ebb & flow and once again we put ourselves in a position to win when it counted and we failed to execute.
The point is, if we match them for intensity all game, we're probably 3 goals up at that point.

We're leaving teams in it because we can't play 4 quarters.

The point is, if we match them for intensity all game, we're probably 3 goals up at that point.

We're leaving teams in it because we can't play 4 quarters.
That’s kinda my point. The talent will keep us close regardless but the lack of effort over the full game means that games are close and then it comes down to moments like Serong etc.

That’s kinda my point. The talent will keep us close regardless but the lack of effort over the full game means that games are close and then it comes down to moments like Serong etc.
Yep and we suck badly at those.

It's not a surprise that all of our wins were by 20+. Anyone who got close got over the top as we bottled it (except the Swans because Logan).

With the huge role momentum plays in the game these days, most fans of any team would lament the four quarter performance (eg even the Swans at their peak this year were regularly coughing up 1/4 time leads). It then does come down to moments and how well and consistently you're able to fully capitalise on them.

Given the young age of the team, what we really needed is the more senior players being more ruthless and bringing cutthroat levels of desperation. It's probably a harsh lens, but O'Meara is the most obvious one for not throwing his weight around and going above and beyond. Would like to think he would take on yesterday ( or any of the weeks leading up to it) to play as though his life depended upon it, instead of snarl and claw it was just nice and tidy.

Last edited:
There is some blame on the players but ultimately the buck stops with the coach. If the players arent continually carrying out directives, drop them and send a message. We weren't strong enough to stop Essendon coming out of stoppage through the front of the contest. Is that on the players, maybe, a bit is player mindset but it totally is about tactics and match saving scenarios and the way you set up. If Darcy was fit, we are probably 8 goals up at that stage and safe and not having this conversation. Go back and watch that game to see how poo he was.
Blaming the coach is an easy out & gets the players off the hook.
That Essendon game, Darcy on one leg had us in the game & if he was fit we would have won. But what was the alternative? Reidy?
Did you watch him yesterday, surely you can see why Darcy is so important to us with the other options available in at their current development level.
The midfield was good enough to stop that but it was a mindset thing as much as an execution. How does a coach control that in that moment?
A lot on here think that coaches have some sort of super power. The coaching gets us in positions to win games, the players need to be backed in to carry it out. Our players can’t do that yet, they haven’t been exposed to it enough.
Our tactics are fine, we are in all games. Blaming the coach for players lack of execution when they would train it regularly is just bizarre.

With the huge role momentum plays in the game these days, most fans of any team would lament the four quarter performance (eg even the Swans at their peak this year were regularly coughing up 1/4 time leads). It then does come down to moments and how well and consistently you're able to fully capitalise on them.
That’s fair. Just seems like it comes down to those moments most weeks for us where as the swans etc have had plenty of big wins. When the game is always close it doesn’t take much for it not to go your way.

Happy to see how it all goes next year with another preseason into the younger players. I’m hoping that’s all it is and it’s really not a system based issue.

Last year is his final year of his contract, if he can't get us to finals and top 4, he's probably gone, as he should be.

I've lost all the will to get angry or upset now, at the end of the day it's just football and I can't let this shit have an effect on me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back