Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

The fact that we have 5 players in the AA squad and 4 in the under 22 AA team confirms we have some serious talent.

Add Pearce and Chapman to that list. That is 11 very talented footballers. Probably more than are on most lists.

In addition we have a very good draft hand this year.

There is absolutely no reason why this team can't make a serious run at the finals in 2025. If not Longmuir should be moved on.

The talent is there and any moderately usefully coach should as a minimum get them into the finals. Over to you JL.

The fact that we have 5 players in the AA squad and 4 in the under 22 AA team confirms we have some serious talent.

Add Pearce and Chapman to that list. That is 11 very talented footballers. Probably more than are on most lists.

In addition we have a very good draft hand this year.

There is absolutely no reason why this team can't make a serious run at the finals in 2025. If not Longmuir should be moved on.

The talent is there and any moderately usefully coach should as a minimum get them into the finals. Over to you JL.
The talent is there, I don't think anyone can genuinely question it, it needs to come together though.

I don't think any other teams in the league would swap out their coach for JLo.... whereas I would easily take any of the top-8 team coaches... and dare I say I like that coach at St Kilda too.... 🥸

Edit: Maybe skip on Voss ....

Your original post that I commented on was talking about that somehow JL doesn't deserve the criticism of "hurt fans" (patronising much?)

Bit precious, every response to my initial post was patronising.

Well "elite footballers" sign long deals at many clubs ... its called job security.

All of those players could have gotten the same security at other clubs. They chose to stay with us, so they obviously believe in the direction of the club. Yes sometimes they get it wrong too, but it's a good sign.

You want to know where your club is at ... don't read fan comments on Big Footy or look at contract terms. Look at the bloody ladder. It will tell you everything you need to know.

Where have I been taking the opinions of Big Footy in this thread? I've quite clearly been contrary to most. Makes a good rant, though.

Old mate Flagmantle on Facebook has gone full scorched Earth on the team and Longmuir, he seems like an example of someone who takes football too seriously. Like I get it, being frustrated is fine, but he borders on pure anger issues.

I don't know what people on this forum think of him though.

I’m super annoyed he’s got the name “Flagmantle” which is an optimistic, fun, positive name and he’s the most pessimistic, sad, negative person out there.

Essendon had 11 wins, Freo had 12. We lost by 1 pt.

Kyle Langford kicked 2.

You don't think we would have won with Pearce (who was having an AA season)?
It blows my mind people don't think having to play a 20 y.o. KPD (as good as he was developmentally)... vs having Pearce/McDonald (or decently fit Cox)... would have any substantial effect on those close results.

I mean, it's awesome we've got 20 games into Draper now. And he did magnificently in plenty of situations and his trajectory looks great. But he's just not going to have the weight and experience to close down critical situations this year as consistently as you'd get from Pearce et al. He's playing on gorillas with 150+ games experience most of the time.

Why is 2025 do or die? Why not 2024?
In my view 2024 was do or die for JLo, my standard was make the 8, against all those that said our list was too young and there were many. It still is.
The difference is it was a weird year. 12 wins, 9 losses is usually a top 8 performance. In addition to that we have a top 8 percentage.
And we finally have a great forward line and the elusive mid-fwd connection. ie there has been real progress.
And the club gave him an extra year.
And the club way out-performed the big majority of expert opinion.
So I think JLo has done enough to satisy me on my pre-season expectation - unless I want to apply the letter of the law, not taking any of the above into account. I'm not that sort of person.
But I'll restate an opinion I posted elsewhere, if Chris Scott is available tomorrow, we should take him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shoulda coulda woulda we aren’t and we won’t know how it affects the group till next year. If they are as angry as the fans are it could be the best thing for the group
Where was the anger at half time the last day when our season was slipping away?? Or at 3QT? We started Q3 like it was a pre season scratchie at Cockburn!

One team were facing jeopardy the other day with season over if they lost.
The other had nothing to play for and guaranteed finals.

It blows my mind people don't think having to play a 20 y.o. KPD (as good as he was developmentally)... vs having Pearce/McDonald (or decently fit Cox)... would have any substantial effect on those close results.

I mean, it's awesome we've got 20 games into Draper now. And he did magnificently in plenty of situations and his trajectory looks great. But he's just not going to have the weight and experience to close down critical situations this year as consistently as you'd get from Pearce et al. He's playing on gorillas with 150+ games experience most of the time.
I can’t bear the blaming injuries stuff.
Over a 23 game season we had a better than league average injury availability I’m pretty sure.
I’ve got some breaking news for ya about next season - we are going to have key players out injured for decent spells again.
We don’t know much about the future but I can guarantee to one thing - key players will miss big games for us though injury next year.
And every single other team in the league too.

If Sean Darcy only plays 12 injury hit games in 2025 and I see fans using it as an excuse this time next year….

One doesn’t need to be Nostradamus to see that coming as we sit here right now. It’s the active choice of the FFC and the coach to build their game plan and structure around a guy that can’t get on the park for more than half a season.

I think the arguement is that every single in the competition team has injuries. They shouldnt be used as an excuse.

I think the arguement is that every single in the competition team has injuries. They shouldnt be used as an excuse.
"Excuse" is not really a thing. It either has an effect or it doesn't. You can then discuss specifically the merits of that effect and how much of it was in (in this instance) Longmuir's control.

Statistically one of the biggest needle shifters on W/L is the average age of the playing group.

Of course a lot of teams have critical injuries at different times. Doesn't stop that from effecting the overall capacity of the team.

Longmuir took the second youngest team of the round to travel to western Sydney and came within a few brain farts of winning. That's a reasonable endorsement of coaching ability in my opinion.

"Excuse" is not really a thing. It either has an effect or it doesn't. You can then discuss in the merits of that effect and how much of it was in (in this instance) Longmuir's control.

Statistically one of the biggest needle shifters on W/L is the average age of the playing group.

Of course a lot of teams have critical injuries at different times. Doesn't stop that from effecting the overall capacity of the team.

Longmuir took the second youngest team of the round to travel to western Sydney and came within a few brain farts of winning. That's a reasonable endorsement of coaching ability in my opinion.

You can probably go further, and say you a large number of players between 26 and 32.

Our average age is skewed by having Walters, Fyfe who are based it but still in our best 22.

We only have Cox, Pearce, Ryan plus fringe players like JoM, Aish in that age bracket.

I can’t bear the blaming injuries stuff.
Over a 23 game season we had a better than league average injury availability I’m pretty sure.
I’ve got some breaking news for ya about next season - we are going to have key players out injured for decent spells again.
We don’t know much about the future but I can guarantee to one thing - key players will miss big games for us though injury next year.
And every single other team in the league too.

If Sean Darcy only plays 12 injury hit games in 2025 and I see fans using it as an excuse this time next year….

One doesn’t need to be Nostradamus to see that coming as we sit here right now. It’s the active choice of the FFC and the coach to build their game plan and structure around a guy that can’t get on the park for more than half a season.
It's not "blaming" it's just the reality. We were short of experience this year (but still came within a solitary point of paying finals).

Next year, we should (no guarantees) not be as vulnerable experience-wise.

Geelong, as an example, ensures their team has ample experience. It explains their regularity at making finals. But also how they may not always have enough "X" that pushes them over other high quality teams at finals time.

Where was the anger at half time the last day when our season was slipping away?? Or at 3QT? We started Q3 like it was a pre season scratchie at Cockburn!

One team were facing jeopardy the other day with season over if they lost.
The other had nothing to play for and guaranteed finals.

I can't get over how flat we were after half time, at home in what was essentially an elimination final and we came out with zero effort or intensity. The game was lost in those 10mins and given the break was a chance for the coach to instill some fight I put the blame on JLo. No doubt he would have preached the just another game chat, play your role etc. This was the one time to go nuclear and fire the team up, what good is it being the calm and collected coach when you can't sting them with some fire when required.

You can probably go further, and say you a large number of players between 26 and 32.

Our average age is skewed by having Walters, Fyfe who are based it but still in our best 22.

We only have Cox, Pearce, Ryan plus fringe players like JoM, Aish in that age bracket.
Yep, it's more a critical mass of players with less than full physical development and experience than the competing team. There's 18 players out on the ground, that's quite a lot compared to other sports. Thus leading to more broken tackles, getting caught out of position a few more times, last quarter fades etc....

Yep, it's more a critical mass of players with less than full physical development and experience than the competing team. There's 18 players out on the ground, that's quite a lot compared to other sports. Thus leading to more broken tackles, getting caught out of position a few more times, last quarter fades etc....

It would be interesting to know how many seasons it takes to build a good fitness bsae. It appears it takes 5 or 6 seasons to get there, plus build your strength.

I think playing 100 games of football, gives the situational awareness to deal with most situations.

I can't get over how flat we were after half time, at home in what was essentially an elimination final and we came out with zero effort or intensity. The game was lost in those 10mins and given the break was a chance for the coach to instill some fight I put the blame on JLo. No doubt he would have preached the just another game chat, play your role etc. This was the one time to go nuclear and fire the team up, what good is it being the calm and collected coach when you can't sting them with some fire when required.
We seemed very jittery. Lots of fumbles and slight misses of targets with the handball.

I wonder a little if there was any cumulative affect of the preceding weeks close losses. Whereas Port got in a few easy kills against weak opponents of late, fluffing their confidence levels.

We seemed very jittery. Lots of fumbles and slight misses of targets with the handball.

I wonder a little if there was any cumulative affect of the preceding weeks close losses. Whereas Port got in a few easy kills against weak opponents of late, fluffing their confidence levels.

Perhaps, I can also kinda forgive a team being nervous or making some mistakes that they normally wouldn't make, especially a team as young as us. Intent is something that should never have been an issue though, not from opening bounce until final siren.

Perhaps, I can also kinda forgive a team being nervous or making some mistakes that they normally wouldn't make, especially a team as young as us. Intent is something that should never have been an issue though, not from opening bounce until final siren.
I don't think being 4.6 to 5.0 halfway through the 2/4 helped much either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back