Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Our starts came back to bite us at the end of the season once again. The starts that have been bad JLs entire 5 year tenure with us, except for a blip mid-season this year when it looked like we started to correct it.

Vs Essendon -9 points quarter time (-1 final margin)

Vs Geelong -23 points ten minutes in (-11 final margin)

Vs GWS -20 points ten minutes in (-9 final margin)

Not the main issue vs Port but they still kicked 2 of the first 3 goals as again we were slow out of the blocks

Hell even when we smashed Melbourne by 90 we still looked lost for the first 10 minutes.

What is it about this guy that he cannot get the team ready to jump out of the blocks? Still? And now our final ten minutes of games suck too.

Just cut the cord and get rid of him, how much more evidence do we need at this point, I can’t stand wasting 2025 too.

Our starts came back to bite us at the end of the season once again. The starts that have been bad JLs entire 5 year tenure with us, except for a blip mid-season this year when it looked like we started to correct it.

Vs Essendon -9 points quarter time (-1 final margin)

Vs Geelong -23 points ten minutes in (-11 final margin)

Vs GWS -20 points ten minutes in (-9 final margin)

Not the main issue vs Port but they still kicked 2 of the first 3 goals as again we were slow out of the blocks

Hell even when we smashed Melbourne by 90 we still looked lost for the first 10 minutes.

What is it about this guy that he cannot get the team ready to jump out of the blocks? Still? And now our final ten minutes of games suck too.

Just cut the cord and get rid of him, how much more evidence do we need at this point, I can’t stand wasting 2025 too.
Sydney has worse starts than we do and we at least fixed it till we lost the main parts of our spine to injury. Should they get rid of Longmire too?

Getting a rookie coach with the team another year older and with two extra guns in would be a mistake. He gets one more year to prove himself with all the chips in.

The only positive I could see on replacing JLo would be all the gun assist coaches who turned down the WC job backflipping and applying for the Freo role. It would be funny but not worth it for the sake of our success.

Last edited:

Sydney has worse starts than we do and we at least fixed it till we lost the main parts of our spine to injury. Should they get rid of Longmire too?

Getting a rookie coach with the team another year older and with two extra guns in would be a mistake. He gets one more year to prove himself with all the chips in.

The only positive I could see on replacing JLo would be all the gun assist coaches who turned down the WC job backflipping and applying for the Freo role. It would be funny but not worth it for the sake of our success.

Sydney has had bad starts as a quirk of the 2024 season (and it may still cost them)

Fremantle has had bad starts as a quirk of hmmm… Longmuir’s entire five years at Fremantle.

Longmire is also a premiership and multiple grand final coach. JL is a one time finals coach.

And the starts are just about the only thing wrong with Sydney, whereas it’s just one of many, many issues for JL.

So no Sydney should not just sack Longmire, but we should definitely sack Longmuir.

Sydney has had bad starts as a quirk of the 2024 season (and it may still cost them)

Fremantle has had bad starts as a quirk of hmmm… Longmuir’s entire five years at Fremantle.

Longmire is also a premiership and multiple grand final coach. JL is a one time finals coach.

And the starts are just about the only thing wrong with Sydney, whereas it’s just one of many, many issues for JL.

So no Sydney should not just sack Longmire, but we should definitely sack Longmuir.
To replace him with who exactly? A zero game coach?

To replace him with who exactly? A zero game coach?

The best available candidate after a thorough interview process. If that’s a zero game coach who is a coaching genius, then yes.

Clearly replacing Buckley with zero game coach McRae didn’t work out terribly for Collingwood.

I don’t think JL will be sacked this off season. However this argument seriously annoys me. No new coach would ever get a gig if this was the approach every club took when a new coaching vacancy becomes available.
My point is if we are desperate to get better quicker, it will happen by not sacking the coach. We improved, we copped injuries and a bad draw at the wrong time and still only just missed. The coaching group got a few lessons too, don’t waste those by replacing them and unsettling everything. Stability has worked more than the sugar hit over the past 20 years.

They also lost more senior players for the future. That won’t happen this offseason so I agree that there are no excuses in 12 months time.

Given the stories about players we are targeting commenting on how connected the club is, you can absolutely put a line through JL leaving this year.

But my word he'll want to deliver if we add these two without losing anyone of note.

Narrative in 12 months time: “Yes we shat the bed again but it was always going take time for Bolton/Pickett/Warner/Baker to gel with the team. Also check out this age profile”

And a bit of “It took Dimma Hardwick 7 years to win a flag at Richmond, JL has only had 6. Give him time. But he’ll want to deliver in 2026 or the pressure will really be on!”

And definitely more of “Sure we got blown away in first quarters again, and choked in the big moments again, and fumbled under pressure again, and didn’t apply pressure ourselves again, but the players just didn’t execute the gameplan. Also that random injury that happened in round 12 cost us the season, cos no other teams have to deal with that. JL is safe. He’s the man. No team has ever improved by replacing a coach.”

Narrative in 12 months time: “Yes we shat the bed again but it was always going take time for Bolton/Pickett/Warner/Baker to gel with the team. Also check out this age profile”

And a bit of “It took Dimma Hardwick 7 years to win a flag at Richmond, JL has only had 6. Give him time. But he’ll want to deliver in 2026 or the pressure will really be on!”

And definitely more of “Sure we got blown away in first quarters again, and choked in the big moments again, and fumbled under pressure again, and didn’t apply pressure ourselves again, but the players just didn’t execute the gameplan. Also that random injury that happened in round 12 cost us the season, cos no other teams have to deal with that. JL is safe. He’s the man. No team has ever improved by replacing a coach.”

Narrative after we lose the first quarter of round 1 by 2 points:

Sack him now. This bumbling idiot has no idea. Deer in headlights. Justin Snoremuir. Sack the board. Accepting mediocrity. Microwave the membership. This kick/mark game style won’t hold up in finals. This handball happy game style won’t hold up in finals. Can we get Hinkley? Can we get Chris Scott? Can we get Ross Lyon back? Ross Lyon would have a premiership with this list.

Yesterday's loss scarily reminds me about that infamous 2015 preliminary final loss to the hawks.

We brought the effort but you knew deep inside Freo wasnt gonna win and you knew Freo would fall short.

I did shed tears when we lost that 2015 preliminary final.

I didn't shed a tear yesterday. I didn't care. We as dockers fans are used to it.

We are used to losing.

We are used to being pathetic.

We are used to being mocked and laughed at.

We are used to have people get behind us to knocked off a hated side and let everyone down by losing.

We are used to being mediocre.

We are used to being garbage.

We are used to putting time and effort and money to this club.

We are used to broken promises.

We are used to try and defend our club when the put up embarrassing performances like this game.

We are used to seeing other clubs winning flags while we fall short.

Most importantly we are used to accepting a losing culture.

We can't say well... Yeah we are in bad times but at least we can look back at the flags we won. But he can't because we haven't won one.

We look at all the other non Vic sides. Adelaide, Brisbane, Port Adelaide, Sydney and west coast all won a flag.

GWS looks like winning one soon, possibly this year. I won't be shocked if the suns won one before us.

Do you know why? Because we are used to it.

Why invest time effort supporting this club when they don't care about us?

Solid melt here and there's some good points, the club does care though.

I feel that Freo is like Russel Crowe's 'Bud White' character from LA confidential, not smart enough to solve the Night Owl murders but smart enough to figure out there was corruption.

Obscure reference and I'm tired.

The club needs to see that 7 losses were under 2 goals.
Not all doom and gloom. Would love for a bit of patience and backing of Jl. He’s shown he’s a great coach, got a young group into the finals in 2022

Hardwick, the genius and tactician he is, loss the last game in 2016 v Sydney by 113 points.
That Richmond team were getting smashed by 70, 80 points to end the season.

The list is in a good spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Narrative after we lose the first quarter of round 1 by 2 points:

Sack him now. This bumbling idiot has no idea. Deer in headlights. Justin Snoremuir. Sack the board. Accepting mediocrity. Microwave the membership. This kick/mark game style won’t hold up in finals. This handball happy game style won’t hold up in finals. Can we get Hinkley? Can we get Chris Scott? Can we get Ross Lyon back? Ross Lyon would have a premiership with this list.
Is the Tweaker still available?
Chicken Little?

The club needs to see that 7 losses were under 2 goals.
Not all doom and gloom. Would love for a bit of patience and backing of Jl. He’s shown he’s a great coach, got a young group into the finals in 2022

Hardwick, the genius and tactician he is, loss the last game in 2016 v Sydney by 113 points.
That Richmond team were getting smashed by 70, 80 points to end the season.

The list is in a good spot.
Just need the Tweaker to get us over the line!

If we get both Bolton and Pickett, we need to play to their advantages and play a more chaotic brand of footy. None of this controlled and selected I50 entry nonsense.
This is the key.

If we are fortunate enough to snare them both then the whole forward dynamic will change.

We need to have a style that plays to their collective strengths.

JL and Jamie Graham should be planning for changes anyway.

This season we looked an awful lot better when we moved the ball with pace except when we had poor execution and turned it over and got belted on the way out.

Skills and pace will take us a long way.

The real question to ask yourself is, is the team not performing because of Longmuir's gameplan, or is the gameplan fine, and the players have just been failing to execute it?
Gameplan was okay 4 weeks ago.

I think we just felt pressure of each week needing that 1 win.

And it just built up where we froze on Sunday

Gameplan was okay 4 weeks ago.

I think we just felt pressure of each week needing that 1 win.

And it just built up where we froze on Sunday
Players just began to panic, fumble not take shots.
Incredible how much changed 25 points up v Essendon. Never seen the change that drastic that bad. Players just felt tense

Players just began to panic, fumble not take shots.
Incredible how much changed 25 points up v Essendon. Never seen the change that drastic that bad. Players just felt tense
Sounds exactly how you would describe JLo😜
We need a few extroverts at the club, or people who can perform
under pressure.
Hardly hear a peep from anyone at the club.
There is a reason WC, Geelong had success and Cook, Nisbett were responsible.

When you re-sign a player as hopeless as Banfield for two years with an option of a third, then you have no idea.
Couple that with playing two players short every game ( Fyfe, Walters are not AFL standard now) then good luck.
Part of our recruiting should include a strong defender, hand-me-dowm MacDonald doesn't cut it.

I doubt we will get a better coach willing to coach freo this off season

Having said that I totally agree we shouldn't have paid for another 2 years of spud shed Banfield. He is putrid. His selection helped cost us finals. Walters is cooked and Fyfe was can't kick or handball so why is he gifted games?

It's clear we don't put enough pressure on, and we succumb to pressure when it's applied heavy. Facts - see article on afl.com

So what tweaks to our gamelan / strategies does JLo need to do in the offseason?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Given the stories about players we are targeting commenting on how connected the club is, you can absolutely put a line through JL leaving this year.

But my word he'll want to deliver if we add these two without losing anyone of note.

I think the goal kicking Pickett brings, plus the pressure he brings makes as a top 4 side if we play the same way as we did this year.

It's clear we don't put enough pressure on, and we succumb to pressure when it's applied heavy. Facts - see article on afl.com

So what tweaks to our gamelan / strategies does JLo need to do in the offseason?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bottom 2 for contested possessions is a worry. I was a bit surprised we were the No 1 clearance team as well. There were games it felt our mids were getting smashed. My eyes were deceiving me.

Solid melt here and there's some good points, the club does care though.

I feel that Freo is like Russel Crowe's 'Bud White' character from LA confidential, not smart enough to solve the Night Owl murders but smart enough to figure out there was corruption.

Obscure reference and I'm tired.
Great character, and one of Crowe's underrated roles ... "Dance with a man for a change?"

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back