Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Listens to The buck stops here on SEN on Monday with Kane and Buckley.
They went through all the finals sides. Buckley (the ex afl coach let’s not forget) had one constant theme when talking about all the finals.

Their relentless pressure on the ball.

Now whether you are a JL believer or not, it’s not in dispute that our pressure on the ball is nowhere NEAR the required level to be a serious finals side.

How are we going to win big finals without increasing our pressure? And whose fault is it - the coach or the players? Or both?

Secondly Xav Ellis made a good point on HBG about the whole “inexperienced team giving away 50s and being ill disciplined” theory. As if it will stop when these players get more experience. Who gave away he bulk of these free kicks in recent weeks?
Banfield - 26 yo, nearly 100 games played.
Fyfe - has seen and done it all in the game.
Cox - 8 years and over 100 games in.
Clark - over 100 games and an AA nominee, hardly inexperienced.

Not exactly a bunch of junior players there is it? Are we expecting all these player to magically become more disciplined in 2025 because they are a year older? Not buying it. Something else needs to change this off season - the inexperience excuse is a complete cop out.

I think we just felt pressure of each week needing that 1 win.

And it just built up where we froze on Sunday
Please do not give them an out. Every finals game will be played like that, with high stakes and high pressure. We need to have the game plan, skills, and experience to overcome it. One area of improvement as Taylor has been banging on about the last few years is contested marks from our talls. They are so important and will allow us to fight through the pressure. Looking at you, Jackson and Amiss.

Please do not give them an out. Every finals game will be played like that, with high stakes and high pressure. We need to have the game plan, skills, and experience to overcome it. One area of improvement as Taylor has been banging on about the last few years is contested marks from our talls. They are so important and will allow us to fight through the pressure. Looking at you, Jackson and Amiss.
The last 3 weeks gave them an idea of the level they need to get to. They were finals-like in intensity and pressure.

Yeah, they crumbled, but that will absolutely be the focus during preseason.

So getting Pickett and Bolton won't fix our game plan issues

It solves our small forward issue, but that's not game plan

I hope we are looking at a new midfield coach and looking at ways to improve our game plan that allows a higher pressure game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope we are looking at a new midfield coach and looking at ways to improve our game plan that allows a higher pressure game

The club have leaked the trade speculation very skilfully this week.

It’s taken about 3 days for 90% of fans to completely forget the serious flaws that have been exposed in JL gameplan and the disappointment of folding like meek puppies last weekend.

Pickett will improve our forward half pressure massively.

Bolton and Pickett will improve our ground balls gets.

Actually agree with this, we brought in a stoppage coach this year because Corey needed help, but we still got smashed in CB a few times (last quarter against Bombers the biggest **** up) since Carr left end of 2022 this has been our Achilles heel.

Actually agree with this, we brought in a stoppage coach this year because Corey needed help, but we still got smashed in CB a few times (last quarter against Bombers the biggest **** up) since Carr left end of 2022 this has been our Achilles heel.

Differential wise we were the best center and stoppage clearance side in the comp. We could probably get cleaner looks but overall clearances were our biggest strength.

And yet we still let the bombers walk it out 5 times in a row and score every time.

That whole last quarter was bizarre but overall clearance numbers for 2024 were off the charts good and if anything will take a dip next year. Why AP is going to be so important as we can't rely on winning a record number of clearances each year.

That whole last quarter was bizarre but overall clearance numbers for 2024 were off the charts good and if anything will take a dip next year. Why AP is going to be so important as we can't rely on winning a record number of clearances each year.
I think that’s part of the issue, we don’t have a plan b for when opposition gets on top in the middle, dogs (game 2) and Bomberd last quarter just walking it out, while we are still setting up to win the clearance. Looks great when we are winning the clearance battle but horrible when we aren’t

I think that’s part of the issue, we don’t have a plan b for when opposition gets on top in the middle, dogs (game 2) and Bomberd last quarter just walking it out, while we are still setting up to win the clearance. Looks great when we are winning the clearance battle but horrible when we aren’t

Agree. I don't even think clearance numbers are that important, it's more what you do with them and how you defend the ones you give up. Just from the eye we seem to win a heap of them but rarely use them well inside 50 but the ones we give up...always seem to result in clean looks.

Giants have been bottom 4 in clearance differentials last two years. Pies were bottom 6 last year. They are handy to win as they give you field position but they don't always mean increased scoring.

EDIT: Had a look and we were clear first for center clearances differential but only 9th for scoring from center clearances.

Last edited:
It was interesting to listen to Duffield on JL over the last couple of days.
In the most professional manner possible, he basically said if freo don’t make finals next year JL is toast.

Also went VERY hard on Sean Darcy. Duff has inside word in freo, h’s as in-the-tent as they come so I just wonder is there something to these claims that Darcy is not giving himself every chance of becoming an elite footballer?

Big Darcy is probably heading for more surgery and an interrupted preparation again unfortunately.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Listens to The buck stops here on SEN on Monday with Kane and Buckley.
They went through all the finals sides. Buckley (the ex afl coach let’s not forget) had one constant theme when talking about all the finals.

Their relentless pressure on the ball.

Now whether you are a JL believer or not, it’s not in dispute that our pressure on the ball is nowhere NEAR the required level to be a serious finals side.

How are we going to win big finals without increasing our pressure? And whose fault is it - the coach or the players? Or both?

Secondly Xav Ellis made a good point on HBG about the whole “inexperienced team giving away 50s and being ill disciplined” theory. As if it will stop when these players get more experience. Who gave away he bulk of these free kicks in recent weeks?
Banfield - 26 yo, nearly 100 games played.
Fyfe - has seen and done it all in the game.
Cox - 8 years and over 100 games in.
Clark - over 100 games and an AA nominee, hardly inexperienced.

Not exactly a bunch of junior players there is it? Are we expecting all these player to magically become more disciplined in 2025 because they are a year older? Not buying it. Something else needs to change this off season - the inexperience excuse is a complete cop out.

Jordan Clark is 23, he's still a young man.

The first 3 goals against Port were the 50m against Clark, Horne-Francis being too quick for Fyfe at centre bounce which was a terrible match up, then Walker putting 2 arms around his opponent in a marking contest.

I think that’s part of the issue, we don’t have a plan b for when opposition gets on top in the middle, dogs (game 2) and Bombers last quarter just walking it out, while we are still setting up to win the clearance. Looks great when we are winning the clearance battle but horrible when we aren’t

Mark Stone said in his season analysis that we need a plan B and make more changes on match day. Spot on.

Guys like Jake Stringer, Brent Daniels, Jesse Hogan, etc tore us apart and the coaching box did nothing.

If we don't make the 8 next year JLo has to go and the replacement is irrelevant. You go through the process and find the next Craig McRae or Adam Simpson.
I agree he's gone if we don't make the finals next year, especially with the ins we are likely to have. The pressure will be on from the outset but hopefully it's not as tight as this year and we can get better again.

There should be no reason we can't wait till the end of the season to extend him. If he fails it's the sack, if he succeeds and is top 8, top 4, prelim or better surely no one could poach him anyway, why would you go to another side with the talent on our list and it's performing?

Bottom 2 for contested possessions is a worry. I was a bit surprised we were the No 1 clearance team as well. There were games it felt our mids were getting smashed. My eyes were deceiving me.
probably only a handful of games where we got smashed in the middle, first derby, dogs loss, and the cats and bombers game with darcy being a lard arse and LJ

The club have leaked the trade speculation very skilfully this week.

It’s taken about 3 days for 90% of fans to completely forget the serious flaws that have been exposed in JL gameplan and the disappointment of folding like meek puppies last weekend.
serious flaws that saw us lose out to top 4 teams by less than a couple of goals? could you expand on that

Mark Stone said in his season analysis that we need a plan B and make more changes on match day. Spot on.

Guys like Jake Stringer, Brent Daniels, Jesse Hogan, etc tore us apart and the coaching box did nothing.
Who is Mark Stone and how many years experience as a senior coach does he have?

serious flaws that saw us lose out to top 4 teams by less than a couple of goals? could you expand on that

Flaws in the game plan I'm not sure about but letting the Bombers come back from 25 points down was a mistake. Letting Stringer have his best game for the year. Leaving Dangerfield, Horne-Francis, Brent Daniels, Jesse Hogan, etc to carve us up and not making a change match day was poor coaching.

I thought Liam Reidy held his own. Would our season still be alive if he played against the Cats instead of Taberner?

People take the piss out of Zach Dawson but did anyone have 10 shots on goal against Dawson when RTB was here like Hogan did? If they did I don't remember, Hogan only kicked 2 against the Saints this year. Don't get beaten by what you know. How often do guys like Bontempelli tear us up under JLo?

Flaws in the game plan I'm not sure about but letting the Bombers come back from 25 points down was a mistake. Letting Stringer have his best game for the year. Leaving Dangerfield, Horne-Francis, Brent Daniels, Jesse Hogan, etc to carve us up and not making a change match day was poor coaching.

I thought Liam Reidy held his own. Would our season still be alive if he played against the Cats instead of Taberner?

People take the piss out of Zach Dawson but did anyone have 10 shots on goal against Dawson when RTB was here like Hogan did? If they did I don't remember, Hogan only kicked 2 against the Saints this year. Don't get beaten by what you know. How often do guys like Bontempelli tear us up under JLo?
You're saying all the right things, but unfortunately, it is entirely wasted on this audience.

All of this doesn't matter if we score a bit more.

No defense is perfect, and all sides give away goals.

I really think all we need to work on is more pressure all over the ground, and scoring a few more goals a game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back