Coach Justin Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you've misunderstood.

The conversation is about best 22 and players you wouldn.t want to lose. You mention Nankervis, who is 30 next year.

Let's come at it from another angle. Do you think Nankervis's age and injury history makes Soldo less or more valuable to Richmond?

fwiw, I'm going with 'more'.
I’m sure they didn’t want to lose him, but he was clearly behind Nank in their pecking order. Hence not B22.
But like us with Hamling, valuable player to have as depth but not B22.

The conversation is about best 22 and players you wouldn.t want to lose. You mention Nankervis, who is 30 next year.

Let's come at it from another angle. Do you think Nankervis's age and injury history makes Soldo less or more valuable to Richmond?

Soldo is at the same level as Hamling, Tucker, meek.
A player who is not best 22 and moved for more opportunity.
He is not fit to lace the boots of Nankervis as a ruck and would never get selected ahead of him for the next 3 or 4 years if he stayed at Punt Road.
If you are considering Soldo a B22 player the every club has 35 best 22 players

I’m sure they didn’t want to lose him, but he was clearly behind Nank in their pecking order. Hence not B22.
But like us with Hamling, valuable player to have as depth but not B22.
I think we've reached agreement.

Additionally, Port traded 2 2nd Rounders, a 3rd Rounder and a 4th Rounder for Soldo.

They rate him very highly. As did Richmond.

Point is - as you stated - Richmond didn't want to lose him (which was my original point).

Anyway, this is the JL thread.

Soldo is at the same level as Hamling, Tucker, meek.
A player who is not best 22 and moved for more opportunity.
He is not fit to lace the boots of Nankervis as a ruck and would never get selected ahead of him for the next 3 or 4 years if he stayed at Punt Road.
If you are considering Soldo a B22 player the every club has 35 best 22 players
Actually, most clubs use about 35 players across a season so...yeah.

Also, you may want to look at what Soldo was traded for, then compare it to Hamling, Tucker and Meek. I think this will help you get a better understanding about the value of Soldo.

Losing injury prone fringe players is a net positive for list management. That's where I see Billings and Soldo. The discussion is about us losing players like Cerra, Schultz, Lobb, Acres, Hill etc, and often in a situation where we are blindsided. Players who get games at every single opportunity, and who are realistically contenders for best 22 at most if not all clubs. Billings and Soldo aren't approaching that category. Gresham is though.

I'm also not talking about the club list management decisions where they trade out a player such as Adams or O'Meara. All clubs balance their lists.

I’m not usually one to bag the coach on here, but I was scrolling through the photos from training the other day, it came to a pic of Longmuir, and I was overcome with an irrational feeling of annoyance and frustration. It surprised me.
I hear ya. 2 words just straight away came to my mind. But I’m trying to remain upbeat so I won’t mention them.

I hope he proves a lot of us wrong this season.

Slow starts and poor home record are the focus for me this season. Having a nervy starter as captain doesn't help, however, I hope Pearce grows there also.

Looking at the draw I think it is about as positive as we could have hoped. We should reach the bye with at least one more win than losses. At the same time, I look at it and think we could be a in a nightmare scenario with only 4 wins at the bye.

I hope he proves a lot of us wrong this season.

Slow starts and poor home record are the focus for me this season. Having a nervy starter as captain doesn't help, however, I hope Pearce grows there also.

Looking at the draw I think it is about as positive as we could have hoped. We should reach the bye with at least one more win than losses. At the same time, I look at it and think we could be a in a nightmare scenario with only 4 wins at the bye.
If we don’t add some of the Pies handbook plays, especially at home the heat
will be turned on.
We have some exciting talent to take the game on and the space to run teams off
their feet.
Jlo must get the contested/uncontested matchup right otherwise we will look too
Slow.
There are more questions than answers at the moment.
To lose at home was an issue this year, especially to teams that we shouldn’t.

I think there is a very strong possibility that it’s almost impossible for freo to win the flag. Even the way the talent is divided across the teams does not favour us.
I agree.

Its almost impossible for freo to win the flag.

we need stability 1st to even think about contending for a flag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why because the new head of football talked about a plan for sustained success? Every club is floundering then.
Only time freo has had sustained finals success is 2012-15. thats the only time we made back to back finals or finals for a minimum 2 years in a row.

I wish we could add 2005-6 and 2021-22.

Looking at other clubs....

Adelaide: made a prelim final in 1993 (under Graham cornes) . nearly won that and nearly made a grand final in 1993 vs Carlton. Crows have had 6 different coaches in their history that at least made a prelim and won at least 1 final. Had sustained finals success in 1997-8 (both years were flag years under Malcolm Blight), 2001-3 (prelim in 2002 under gary ayres. 2005-09 (prelims in 2005-6 under neil craig), 2012 (prelim under Brenton Sanderson) 2015-7 (grand final loss in 2017 under Don Pyke).

West Coast: Sustained finals run from 1990-99, then another one in 2002-7, then another one in 2011-2, then another one in 2015-20.

Saints: Yep from 1990 onwards, they have had sustained finals runs in the AFL era. 1991-92, then 1997-8, then 2004-6 then 2008-11.

As I said, you want me silenced. I am not demanding a flag. But this long suffering dockers fan base deserves a sustained finals run. at least make finals for 2 years in a row, even if its back to back elim final losses.

Without top2 it's impossible for freo to win the flag .....just have to keep building the team till it gets to that level
dockers didnt finish top 2 in 2013. Made a grand final that year from 3rd, remarkably beating the cats on their own turf.

freo finished top 2 in 2015, lost a home prelim final vs the hawks. It was a combination of freo faltering and hawks having crazy depth of good players all over the ground that we lost that game.

I hate to remind people of this....

Only 2 times in my life I felt devastated and literally broke down in tears after a dockers loss.

1. the 2009 game vs the crows where we kicked 1.7.13. Yep I was there and stayed the full 4 quarters of that game.

2. that infamous 2015 prelim final vs the hawks. Seeing Luke McPharlin in tears after the game hurt a lot. I knew it was all over too and we would drop.

Without top2 it's impossible for freo to win the flag .....just have to keep building the team till it gets to that level

fed up people GIF

You are making a storm in a tea cup. It is not as big a deal as it's being made out. Every team loses b22 players most years.
If thats the case.... Explain how we went from 5th with a finals win 15 wins , 1 draw and 6 losses i the regular season in 2022 to 14th wth 10 wins and 13 losses in 2023?

Call me a doomer but I just don't see a flag or 2 prelims happening by 2025 for either the Mens team or the Womens team.
The very quick expansion of the women's programme and the free hits the teams coming in later got , make it very hard to to realise that part of the prediction.
The talent pool is now just too thin.

Losing injury prone fringe players is a net positive for list management. That's where I see Billings and Soldo. The discussion is about us losing players like Cerra, Schultz, Lobb, Acres, Hill etc, and often in a situation where we are blindsided. Players who get games at every single opportunity, and who are realistically contenders for best 22 at most if not all clubs. Billings and Soldo aren't approaching that category. Gresham is though.

I'm also not talking about the club list management decisions where they trade out a player such as Adams or O'Meara. All clubs balance their lists.
West coast don't lose players and look where it got them .
On the other side of the coin Collingwood have probably turned over more than most .

Big difference is they all have had sustained success ( Eagles until recently)

If Lyon got us into finals every year after 2015…he would of 100% been kept on after 2019.

Connolly and Lyon are the only two coaches of ours who have coached into their 6th years. One made 2 finals series and the other 4 including a GF. Longmuir to join them has to at least play finals, doesn’t even have to win one.
I have posted this before... the average span of a dockers coach is 5 seasons.

Connolly and Lyon lasted at least 6 seasons as we constantly contended for finals and made finals.

If Justin Longmuir doesnt make finals in 2024, he is gone and will be in the Mark Harvey calibre coach: a Coach that lasted 5 seasons and 1 year of finals.

Justin Longmuir guides the dockers to finals in 2024, even if its 8th spot, he gets a 2 year extension.

Call me a doomer but I just don't see a flag or 2 prelims happening by 2025 for either the Mens team or the Womens team.
Im gutted about that 2020 AFLW season. It was all set up for a dockers vs Kangaroos grand final in WA. I am still gutted.

If thats the case.... Explain how we went from 5th with a finals win 15 wins , 1 draw and 6 losses i the regular season in 2022 to 14th wth 10 wins and 13 losses in 2023?
I don't know how that happened all i do know is that it happens to teams all the time. 2015 tigers finish 5th and play finals, 2016 finish 13th, 2017 premiership.
Collingwood 2020 finish 8th play finals, 2021 finish 17th, 2022 finals premiership 23.

It happens.

I don't know how that happened all i do know is that it happens to teams all the time. 2015 tigers finish 5th and play finals, 2016 finish 13th, 2017 premiership.
Collingwood 2020 finish 8th play finals, 2021 finish 17th, 2022 finals premiership 23.

It happens.
We wont turn it around quickly like those teams did

Last edited:
Only time freo has had sustained finals success is 2012-15. thats the only time we made back to back finals or finals for a minimum 2 years in a row.

I wish we could add 2005-6 and 2021-22.

Looking at other clubs....

Adelaide: made a prelim final in 1993 (under Graham cornes) . nearly won that and nearly made a grand final in 1993 vs Carlton. Crows have had 6 different coaches in their history that at least made a prelim and won at least 1 final. Had sustained finals success in 1997-8 (both years were flag years under Malcolm Blight), 2001-3 (prelim in 2002 under gary ayres. 2005-09 (prelims in 2005-6 under neil craig), 2012 (prelim under Brenton Sanderson) 2015-7 (grand final loss in 2017 under Don Pyke).

West Coast: Sustained finals run from 1990-99, then another one in 2002-7, then another one in 2011-2, then another one in 2015-20.

Saints: Yep from 1990 onwards, they have had sustained finals runs in the AFL era. 1991-92, then 1997-8, then 2004-6 then 2008-11.

As I said, you want me silenced. I am not demanding a flag. But this long suffering dockers fan base deserves a sustained finals run. at least make finals for 2 years in a row, even if its back to back elim final losses.
I didnt' even respond to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back