Coach Justin Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didnt' even respond to you?
He doesn’t need you to.

Go Crazy Wtf GIF

I have no idea what will happen next year. This year was just weird. To finish the way we did in 22, a summer of optimism then just come out of the blocks playing the most scared, toothless football over the opening rounds was gobsmacking.

Devastating to lose Shultz & Henry, outright stupidity to let Hamling, a proven, cool headed premiership level defender & keep the likes of Corbett & a few others who don’t belong on an AFL list.

We have serious talent on our list but we just can’t keep playing the careful, slow nonsense from last year.

I have no idea of what to expect because we keep making stupid decisions in all areas, especially list management & preparation mentality. The only time we look good is when someone freakish like Jackson puts the team on his back.

And is Fyfe even a thing anymore? Dare we hold any hope he can A be fit & B remember how to play like he used to? He played like a guy that’s mentally shot on the rare occasions he did play.

I have no idea what will happen next year. This year was just weird. To finish the way we did in 22, a summer of optimism then just come out of the blocks playing the most scared, toothless football over the opening rounds was gobsmacking.

Devastating to lose Shultz & Henry, outright stupidity to let Hamling, a proven, cool headed premiership level defender & keep the likes of Corbett & a few others who don’t belong on an AFL list.

We have serious talent on our list but we just can’t keep playing the careful, slow nonsense from last year.

I have no idea of what to expect because we keep making stupid decisions in all areas, especially list management & preparation mentality. The only time we look good is when someone freakish like Jackson puts the team on his back.

And is Fyfe even a thing anymore? Dare we hold any hope he can A be fit & B remember how to play like he used to? He played like a guy that’s mentally shot on the rare occasions he did play.
I mean Henry wanted to go at the end of last season. So he's been a gooner since then. Glad he had had a good last half so maybe the price increased if just a tiny bit.

Hamling was a backup, reliable for sure. How long do you resign and for how much?

Lachie is the one I wished we kept. But we got good price for him and set up good for making some big deals next year or refill the barn.

This season was definitely shitty. But you can tell theres a good team, makings of a great one.

Which means you have to be ruthless and not resign players like Acres, Logue or Hamling for overs.

This general narrative about the exodus from Freo is absurd.

Call me a sycophant, but this management group have my full backing.
Until it doesnt of course. And I could obviously be way off

Cheers!

On SM-A505W using BigFooty.com mobile app

I mean Henry wanted to go at the end of last season. So he's been a gooner since then. Glad he had had a good last half so maybe the price increased if just a tiny bit.

Hamling was a backup, reliable for sure. How long do you resign and for how much?

Lachie is the one I wished we kept. But we got good price for him and set up good for making some big deals next year or refill the barn.

This season was definitely shitty. But you can tell theres a good team, makings of a great one.

Which means you have to be ruthless and not resign players like Acres, Logue or Hamling for overs.

This general narrative about the exodus from Freo is absurd.

Call me a sycophant, but this management group have my full backing.
Until it doesnt of course. And I could obviously be way off

Cheers!

On SM-A505W using BigFooty.com mobile app
As you say probably more talent on paper than even our greatest era.
So many first rounders, but it’s who are cracking the whips that is the
concern.
That era was ruthless, physical and mentally strong, left nothing on the track.
This team has a softness about them and until that is fixed we will still see
mixed results.
The saying nice guy’s finish last rings true.
Our best assistants were Scott, Kirk, Suma, and maybe Carr.
Coaching is not a singular job, and without quality people involved the
revolving door is just getting a workout.

That's borderline rant material, apart from the fact that it is also a borderline understatement of the year we just had.

As you say probably more talent on paper than even our greatest era.
So many first rounders, but it’s who are cracking the whips that is the
concern.
That era was ruthless, physical and mentally strong, left nothing on the track.
This team has a softness about them and until that is fixed we will still see
mixed results.
The saying nice guy’s finish last rings true.
Our best assistants were Scott, Kirk, Suma, and maybe Carr.
Coaching is not a singular job, and without quality people involved the
revolving door is just getting a workout.
Sorry , I usually like your posts but Suma went from sitting next to RTB match day to being a pissed off development coach sitting on the bench match day in 2 years. When I started watching training regularly at fremantle oval, he would spend most of the session talking to a few old bulldog friends, occasionally stopping to spray a player. He was shit.

The head coach is the most important person at the club, by a factor of 100 over any individual player. Having a top level guy in that role is far far more important than losing a player like Schultz or Henry.
Mediocre players can win flags in this sport, but Mediocre coaches will win nothing.
The jury is still very much out on whether Longmuir is a dud or not.
And it’s a completely independent issue to the quality of our list.

The head coach is the most important person at the club, by a factor of 100 over any individual player. Having a top level guy in that role is far far more important than losing a player like Schultz or Henry.
Mediocre players can win flags in this sport, but Mediocre coaches will win nothing.
100 per cent

Do you really mean it’s a completely independent issue to the quality of our list? Surely the pie chart of 'quality of the coach' and 'quality of the list' should have some substantial overlap?

Wow you know last season has cooked freo fans when E Shed is melting.

Welcome

Jack Nicholson Yes GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you really mean it’s a completely independent issue to the quality of our list? Surely the pie chart of 'quality of the coach' and 'quality of the list' should have some substantial overlap?
I do mean they are independent issues. Every team is trying to improve their list. We have people in our LM team who’s whole job evolves around that. Trades, draft etc. we should strive to improve there at all times.

Then there is the coach. Is he the right guy? I believe the answer to that question has zero to do with whether a given individual player is on the list or not.
We have a decent collection of talent. But there’s a big question mark over the coach IMO.

We have a decent collection of talent. But there’s a big question mark over the coach IMO.

I agree mostly but I'm still of the opinion he needs to have a crack with the people under him completely cleared out. If there was a world where JLo is sacked next season, can't have some new guy coming in with the likes of Bob Murphy and ****ing Mzungu still charity employed.

I agree with your post.

I am unsure where this list and our club is headed. I would love freo to enter a finals window of 2024-27 or even 2025-7.

The only time I felt confident of contending for finals was that Chris Connolly era of 2004-6 after making finals in 2003 and Ross Lyon 2012-15 era.

The question will be asked if we go back to this time last year before trading off the likes of Tucker, Logue, Lobb, acres and meek. Would the dockers would of made finals in 2023 had we kept all 5 of those blokes? I am not saying it was dead certain we would but that cheap rotating depth would mean an extra win or 2.

We also lost Lachie Schulz who kicked 33 goals for us in 2023. He also played a decent role in Freo making finals in 2022.

We also lost Liam Henry when in his 4th season, he really showed something.

Losing Hamling sucks too. He wasnt great in 2023. But he was handy when either tall defenders in Alex Pearce or Brennan Cox was injured. Heath Chapman is 193 cm but has played 20-25 games in 2021-23, Josh Draper is 197 cm but untested.

I have noticed This as well.

I know some people find it irritating about me constantly bringing up that Connolly 2002-7 era and Ross Lyons 2012-15 finals era.

Did Freo lose any best 22 players in that 2003-6 Connolly era? Only noticeable player I cant think of was troy simmonds the KPF / ruck.

I cant recall a mass exodus of players leaving when we made finals under Ross Lyon from 2012 until 2015.

As I stated, I want a sustained finals run of 3-5 years in a row. We are not gonna get a finals window if we lose decent best 23 players.

Sorry , I usually like your posts but Suma went from sitting next to RTB match day to being a pissed off development coach sitting on the bench match day in 2 years. When I started watching training regularly at fremantle oval, he would spend most of the session talking to a few old bulldog friends, occasionally stopping to spray a player. He was s**t.
Yeah Suma is a knob, but the guy knows what it takes to win. Obviously Ross
and him had a fallout.
Suma also is good at player development. Just like when Judge told the eagles
after Malthouse that there were serious problems, maybe that’s why Suma
was gone?
Once Kirk, Suma, left Ross’s assistant coaches were all inexperienced.
You can see the exact same thing with Freo now when Carr wasn’t replaced.
If we are going to win anything it will take a team of quality people who are
driven, experienced. You don’t get that vibe with us, it’s always the next McDonald or future picks.

Ross burnt through assistants when he was first at the Saints and then with us. We ended up with Michael Prior, Anthony Rock and Brent Guerra FFS, blokes who are hardly smashing doors down anywhere else of note. Because Ross is a rolled-gold, 24-karat campaigner.

I actually think this crop - Boyd, Graham and Corey - are a huge uplift on what Ross spent most of his time working with.

But you'll notice they are all decent citizens. I wouldn't mind a half-crazed tiprat like Bogan Josh Carr in there, plotting the ruination of our enemies. Just to add some much-needed campaigneriness.

Ross burnt through assistants when he was first at the Saints and then with us. We ended up with Michael Prior, Anthony Rock and Brent Guerra FFS, blokes who are hardly smashing doors down anywhere else of note. Because Ross is a rolled-gold, 24-karat campaigner.

I actually think this crop - Boyd, Graham and Corey - are a huge uplift on what Ross spent most of his time working with.

But you'll notice they are all decent citizens. I wouldn't mind a half-crazed tiprat like Bogan Josh Carr in there, plotting the ruination of our enemies. Just to add some much-needed campaigneriness.
Agree completely but a bit of Josh Carr mongrel is exactly what we are missing.

Yeah Suma is a knob, but the guy knows what it takes to win. Obviously Ross
and him had a fallout.
Suma also is good at player development. Just like when Judge told the eagles
after Malthouse that there were serious problems, maybe that’s why Suma
was gone?
Once Kirk, Suma, left Ross’s assistant coaches were all inexperienced.
You can see the exact same thing with Freo now when Carr wasn’t replaced.
If we are going to win anything it will take a team of quality people who are
driven, experienced. You don’t get that vibe with us, it’s always the next McDonald or future picks.

Far too much kudos for Mr potato. Sumich is a grade A spud with no knowledge of anything. The fact he was a good footy player in his day, in a good team, means nothing towards his coaching ability. His post career coaching and media career has come purely on the coat tails of a good playing career. If he wasnt a good premiership forward, there's no way he'd have been considered for any coaching or media roles. Spud.

Agree completely but a bit of Josh Carr mongrel is exactly what we are missing.
I didn't mind Josh Carr as a player. Needed a thuggish type at the club along with his brother Matt Carr.

We unofficially had that Thugmantle tag from 2005-8 partly because of it.

And yes I remember a derby in 2006 where one of the carr brothers conceded a free kick for taking Daniel Kerr's head off LoL

I agree mostly but I'm still of the opinion he needs to have a crack with the people under him completely cleared out. If there was a world where JLo is sacked next season, can't have some new guy coming in with the likes of Bob Murphy and ******* Mzungu still charity employed.
Murphy works in the AFLW and Gu is NGA. And yes, they will be paid poorly because this is the AFL. So I don't understand what your point is?

Here's the question I will ask you. Dockers have made finals.... 8 times in 29 seasons. Back to back or 2 years in a row they made finals. That has only happened once in our 29 years. That was 2012-5.

Made a grand final in 2013.... But lost.

Are you really happy with what our playing list historically has done in the last 30 years?

I didn't mind Josh Carr as a player. Needed a thuggish type at the club along with his brother Matt Carr.

We unofficially had that Thugmantle tag from 2005-8 partly because of it.

And yes I remember a derby in 2006 where one of the carr brothers conceded a free kick for taking Daniel Kerr's head off LoL
Carr copped a lot of bad press during the finals this season.
He was called out plenty of times as missing the boat with moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back