Coach Justin Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does this rule out Clarkson then?

Clarkson is like the Hulk. Always angry. I don't think I'd like him in the box when Freo players are derping it up on the oval. Ross Lyons phone was always taped together and his desk nailed down. But that would not stop Hulk Clarkson from tearing it apart.

Dean Solomon bolts into Fremantle Dockers coaching frame after speaking with club
Gold Coast assistant Dean Solomon has emerged as a contender for the Fremantle senior coaching position.
The West Australian understands that Solomon has been spoken to by the Dockers amid predictions by industry observers that he was developing rapidly as an assistant and was ready to take on a senior role.
It is still widely assumed that former Fremantle forward Justin Longmuir is the frontrunner for the Dockers coaching position with dual West Coast premiership forward and former Eagles and Dockers senior assistant Peter Sumich one of his main rivals.
Solomon’s stocks have risen despite the fact that he has been an assistant at the Gold Coast Suns, who have been on or near the bottom of the ladder in recent seasons.
His former coach at Essendon Kevin Sheedy is understood to have lobbied for the Bombers to take him back with a view to him becoming a possible successor to John Worsfold at some point in the future.
Like Longmuir, Solomon has done the AFL’s level four coaching accreditation course which is considered a good guide and tool for developing future AFL senior coaches.
The shock resignation of Don Pyke from Adelaide’s coaching position this week has added a level of intrigue to Fremantle’s search for a senior coach.
If nothing else, it means there is another bidder for senior coaching talent in the market place.
The Dockers are understood to have spoken to Longmuir several times and have paid Collingwood the courtesy of notifying them of their interest in him.
But as of earlier this week they were yet to hold any formal interview with him despite the fact that the pre-finals bye and Collingwood’s week off created by their qualifying win had created a window of opportunity.
Pyke’s resignation from the Crows makes him a potential candidate for the position but while he is yet to formally rule himself out he is taking some time to consider his next move.
Essendon assistant Ben Rutten, a former Adelaide player, is expected to be a frontline contender for the Adelaide job.
Solomon was a member of Essendon’s 2000 premiership team and played 158 games for the Bombers and 51 at Fremantle before a degenerative knee problem forced him into retirement. He was an assistant coach at Fremantle in 2010 before joining the fledgling Suns in 2011 as an assistant.
He coached the Suns in three games at the end of the 2017 season after Rodney Eade’s departure from the club.
The West Australian understands that the Dockers have also made contact with Port Adelaide assistant Jarrad Schofield and former Docker, now North Adelaide coach Josh Carr but it is not clear whether they were contacted in regard to a senior role or an assistant’s position

didn't one of the AFL's most successful coaches do something much worse.....tap tap ummm....Mathews ;)

At least Solomon was (rather spectacularly misgudedly) avenging some unfair clips our first year players were copping from the "good blokes" (aka shitcampaigners protected by the boys) but somehow missed both messrs Mooney and Johnson and clipped one of the only fair (ish) Geelong blokes out there. Doesn't justify it but it does add some much needed context that nobody in the east wants to give it

Why are we only being linked to former Fremantle people?

This feels like it is going to be a massive **** up and we are going to be anchored to the bottom of the ladder for the next 6 years.

fu**.

Because the media can only put 2 and 2 together. Anything more complex goes straight over their heads.

Because the media can only put 2 and 2 together. Anything more complex goes straight over their heads.
Yeah the vast majority of the time in the media it often appears to be leading candidates for roles are either current assistants/caretaker coach at a club plus past players at said club. Look at Adelaide for example and how Ben Rutten has been named one of the favourites (past player), or when there was speculation at Essendon with so called candidates including Rutten (current assistant at the club) and Caracella (past player and soon to be assistant at the club)

Nothing against Dean, but surely we can do better.

Do you know what he can do?

Edit : The reason I ask is because JLO is being touted madly on here as being the next head coach despite little or no experience at that level...and yet because Dean Solomon's C.V isn't quite as impressive (having not been at two of the more fashionable clubs as assistant) he is to be disregarded?

We are in a position where we cannot afford to rule anyone out who is legitimately qualified.

I'd rather an assistant coach from a successful club, than one from a club even lower on the ladder than Freo.
Weren't people raiding Malthouse assistants cabinet a decade ago trying to get some of that elite quality coaching to their club, because they were touted as having learned from the best?

Weren't people raiding Malthouse assistants cabinet a decade ago trying to get some of that elite quality coaching to their club, because they were touted as having learned from the best?
Didn’t that produce Buckley, McKenna, Neeld (lol), BScott and maybe someone else I’ve forgotten?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the idea that Belly's current approach consists of flicking though the old address book from when he last played.

With Belly having coffee catch-ups with Schofield, Carr and Solomon recently to discuss assistant coaching roles, I can only speculate that he's waiting for extra funds to be released before he wines and dines the big fish.

Browny.

leigh-brown-coach-of-vic-country-is-seen-during-the-afl-2019-u18-picture-id1153792615

Look at big Browny go. He's imagining slow roasting that kid.

At least Solomon was (rather spectacularly misgudedly) avenging some unfair clips our first year players were copping from the "good blokes" (aka s**tcampaigners protected by the boys) but somehow missed both messrs Mooney and Johnson and clipped one of the only fair (ish) Geelong blokes out there. Doesn't justify it but it does add some much needed context that nobody in the east wants to give it

Yep I liked him in his enforcer role.

Interestingly, Due to his amazing regenerative powers it only took Ling 2 weeks to get over those broken cheek bones and eye socket too

I reckon Solomon would be a good guy to have on board in some role not sure about his credentials for the senior role tho

Ditto Josh Carr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you know what he can do?

Edit : The reason I ask is because JLO is being touted madly on here as being the next head coach despite little or no experience at that level...and yet because Dean Solomon's C.V isn't quite as impressive (having not been at two of the more fashionable clubs as assistant) he is to be disregarded?

We are in a position where we cannot afford to rule anyone out who is legitimately qualified.

Agree with your last line but I still think that we can do better. There are certainly quite a few that have better CV’s.

I don't mind the dean solomon option being a good coach in a bad team is much harder than being a good coach in a good team.
Dean Solomon has been a coach at a club that is a revolving doors for assistants (which means gold coast like him). So you know he could work under multiple coaches rather than being poached by someone they would like to work under. Stayed loyal to gold coast is a great thing.
Gold coast have made a lot of mistakes i assume he would have learnt a lot from them.
Being a gold coast coach is like being a development coach.

I don't mind the dean solomon option being a good coach in a bad team is much harder than being a good coach in a good team.
Dean Solomon has been a coach at a club that is a revolving doors for assistants (which means gold coast like him). So you know he could work under multiple coaches rather than being poached by someone they would like to work under. Stayed loyal to gold coast is a great thing.
Gold coast have made a lot of mistakes i assume he would have learnt a lot from them.
Being a gold coast coach is like being a development coach.

So you’d like him as our next head coach?

The other way to look at it is, that despite hanging in there at GC, no one has poached him. If he was as good as you’re making out, they would’ve, or he would’ve got the top job last year.

Sheedy even begged Essn to take him on but they didn’t.

He’s been learning the coaching game off Harvey, McKenna, Eade and Dew.

It’s a no from me.

Last edited:
At the time Rodney Eade got sacked and Dean was caretaker he was very highly regarded within the Suns and was very close to actually getting the gig full time. Being from the Suns he's probably flown under the media radar but I'm not surprised his name is being bandied around.

So you’d like him as our next head coach?

The other way to look at it is, that despite hanging in there at GC, no one has poached him. If he was as good as you’re making out, they would’ve, or he would’ve got the top job last year.

Sheedy even begged Essn to take him on but they didn’t.

He’s been learning the coaching game off Harvey, McKenna, Eade and Dew.

It’s a no from me.
I wouldn't be upset if he was our coach but i'm not campaigning for him either, if it seemed like that sorry, I was reacting to the previous two pages of people saying just because hes a gold coast coach hes terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back