Coach Justin Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, exactly. There is no rush, he's not getting poached.

Give him the year and have a good look at it in October (if its not obvious before - either bottom 2 or finals where I think we are forced to act either way).

Unless there is an injury Tsunami he should lose his job if we finish any lower than 12th. It would indicate practically no improvement in his time with us.

I like Longmuir, but Footy is a brutal business. We have to be playing finals next season
Yeah I don't think that failing to play finals after 6 seasons is a brutal target. Pretty reasonable. I'd agree what happened to Harvey and perhaps Lyon was brutal, but it's a big boy game.

If we aren't tracking well by mid-year I hope someone is having discussions with Carr.

Anyone think he may get a cheeky one year extension before the start of the season, just to take off the pressure going into the season? Jlo will argue it’s hard going into the season uncontracted.

If no one is going to poach him why would we be rushing to extend him? Also if the club think he’s safe they should have extended him by now too, not many good coaches go into a contract season unsigned unless there is some doubt around them.

If we are stuck in the bottom 5 again after 10 or 12 games he should be sacked. Apart from Amiss most of the teams best players will be hovering around the 80 to 100 game mark by next year. The excuses will be starting to wear thin. These are our 10 most important players for 2024 and their total games player. 9 of the 10 listed below will no longer be in the development phase of their careers. Instead they should be right in the sweet spot of consistent high quality output.

Brayshaw - 123
Serong - 80
Jackson - 75
Darcy - 98
Cox - 102
Ryan - 132
Clark - 79
Young - 57
Amiss - 25
Pearce - 107

Add then some good experience in the next bracket of the team
JOM - 164
Aish - 163
Walters - 222
Fyfe - 218

Supplemented with good semi-experienced role players like
Frederick - 57
Switta - 68

That’s 16 players I’ve listed there that will be B22 next year and the only one less than 50 games is one of the most talented players in the 28-year history of the club. I certainly wouldnt call him a weak link.

Like every other team - the last 6 spots on the team are going to be taken by a mix of less proven talented up and coming players and more experienced fringe players.
Chapman - 26
Johnson - 18
Erasmus - 19
Sturt - 18
Emmett - 2
Treacy - 36
Wagner 28
Walker 45

Some of these players will improve a lot next year and get more consistent. They have to, otherwise JL is not doing his job properly.

I haven’t even mentioned experienced depth that the coaches might like to play such as Brodie (54 games) Banfield (75 games), Hughes (102 games) Taberner (120 games - actually think Tabs will play more AFL footy than people on here think if he’s fit next year).

Finally, games played as a metric can be a bit misleading as to a players expected influence. For example, Josh Treacy, a developing power key forward is always going to be a much slower burn than someone like Young or Clark. Those guys could win an All Australian at 60 games. It’s entirely plausible for Hayden young to have a career best season next year going from game 57 to 80, and win an AA. He might never play as good again, but his best football is possible right now.
By contract, Treacy probably needs to reach 150 games and 28 years old before we see his very best, given the nature of his position.

Overall there is more than enough talent and importantly experience, to indicate another bottom 6 finish next year would be an absolute failure.

Unless there is an injury Tsunami he should lose his job if we finish any lower than 12th. It would indicate practically no improvement in his time with us.
Given the undeniable youth of the squad (as it stands) ladder position is too broad a metric. It doesn't take a "tsunami" of injuries to set things off kilter. But player loss is a worry.

I reckon implementing a more charismatic gameplan would be a fantastic illustration of his coaching chops. Given charisma, from what we see, isn't his strong point, but strategy seemingly is, having a system of play that adds an edge, is exciting and is geared towards the strengths of the squad would show he's the man to go forward with.

Given the undeniable youth of the squad (as it stands) ladder position is too broad a metric. It doesn't take a "tsunami" of injuries to set things off kilter. But player loss is a worry.

I reckon implementing a more charismatic gameplan would be a fantastic illustration of his coaching chops. Given charisma, from what we see, isn't his strong point, but strategy seemingly is, having a system of play that adds an edge, is exciting and is geared towards the strengths of the squad would show he's the man to go forward with.
Out of curiosity what is a charismatic gameplan?
Exciting footy is great, but I don't understand it as an end itself.

Out of curiosity what is a charismatic gameplan?
Exciting footy is great, but I don't understand it as an end itself.
I'm going with something that's especially engaging for the players, but draws everyone else in as well. It would be built in and around the players strengths, so they can wholly own it and feel exhilarated to play it.

A game plan that's not only exciting, but unique and custom-fit through enhancing the strengths and point of difference of the playing group.

I agree it doesn't take heaps of injuries to throw things off kilter. In this instance it is the only out I can justify.

Will a charismatic game plan mean anything if we are losing enough to drop below 12th?

What do you think are the strengths of the squad?

Last Pre season there was an emphasis on our slow starts and how they were addressing that,it didn't work and i see to many comfortable players in the team.I wish Brennan Cox would really go to the next level , he seems the most comfortable in the team if body language is anything to go by.He said he was comfortable in Perth signing on to the new contract.I don't want anymore comfortable talk ,get out there and do the hard yards to make yourself an elite player,because you have the potential.Coaches need to stop wrapping their hands around these guys and get down to hard work and extra sessions . Lachie Neale said on his time off he would head to the club and Hit the Punching bag 1000 times i think everyday,Thats not being comfortable that's being professional..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't ask you a question, I stated my opinion, which you then followed up with a dislike and this strange response.
You quoted me and since I have already said it multiple times in here I simply used the dislike button and that response because I couldn't be arsed typing it again.

It's not that mysterious.

If you're worried about your like count, let me know and I'll take it off.

You quoted me and since I have already said it multiple times in here I simply used the dislike button and that response because I couldn't be arsed typing it again.

It's not that mysterious.

If you're worried about your like count, let me know and I'll take it off.

And yet did not ask you a question. I wasn't asking your opinion, and I didn't want to read through the last ten pages. I was responding to that one post with my opinion. Not that mysterious.

If we are no shot at the finals come the bye he should finish the year out and not renewed.

If we finish lower than 12th he shouldn't be renewed other than an injury crisis and even then it is 50/50.

If we finish 12th to 9th it is line ball.

Finals and he is renewed.

And yet did not ask you a question. I wasn't asking your opinion, and I didn't want to read through the last ten pages. I was responding to that one post with my opinion. Not that mysterious.

If we are no shot at the finals come the bye he should finish the year out and not renewed.

If we finish lower than 12th he shouldn't be renewed other than an injury crisis and even then it is 50/50.

If we finish 12th to 9th it is line ball.

Finals and he is renewed.
Stop quoting me if you don't want my opinion. It's not hard!

I think we can turn around our playing fortunes with some major adjustments to our preseason. Last year was far too safe & all the training watchers mentioned a lot of ball movement drills & we were moving the ball pretty well.

Safe drills where the ball movement is good achieves nothing, it means there’s not enough pressure on the ball carrier & you learn nothing because the drill is run at less that game intensity.

There was very little talk about strong contested drills & it bit us in the ass over the preseason scratchies & at the start of the year where we lost winnable games that would have got us moving.

Training doesn’t have to be perfect because games never are & if they’re a little bit messy then we’ll learn far more in trying to get those errors right instead of getting it right under little pressure.

More contested & more intensity. This is on the coaches & the S&C team.

I think we can turn around our playing fortunes with some major adjustments to our preseason. Last year was far too safe & all the training watchers mentioned a lot of ball movement drills & we were moving the ball pretty well.

Safe drills where the ball movement is good achieves nothing, it means there’s not enough pressure on the ball carrier & you learn nothing because the drill is run at less that game intensity.

There was very little talk about strong contested drills & it bit us in the ass over the preseason scratchies & at the start of the year where we lost winnable games that would have got us moving.

Training doesn’t have to be perfect because games never are & if they’re a little bit messy then we’ll learn far more in trying to get those errors right instead of getting it right under little pressure.

I also think our running loads were down. They needed to be fitter

I agree it doesn't take heaps of injuries to throw things off kilter. In this instance it is the only out I can justify.

Will a charismatic game plan mean anything if we are losing enough to drop below 12th?

What do you think are the strengths of the squad?
Plenty about outcomes that are uncontrollable. But the implementation of a unique, innovative and exciting plan shows coaching chops.

They do pressure exercises as well. You need both pressure drills and exercises that allow for tuning in the finer elements and build confidence in movement.

But games and training don't exist in two totally separate dimensions. The human brain can (and probably does better) synthesize the experiences on the field with experiences on the training track that have different conditions.

Still can’t see this potato of a man winning a flag. Imagine him fumbling his way through grand final week media. Uninspiring bumpkin. He might coach Quairading to a flag but not an AFL team. Wasting our time.

Brutal but don't disagree tbh. This whole era feels like a waiting period, until we find another highly competent RL type non-Fremantle coach who can inspire an organisation and lead us places. But then I don't have faith in the current admin to make a ballsy decision that is hard and correct, like the last one we made that led us to our only ever semi-successful period. Club has never been more irrelevant under this current leadership. We play safe footy, make safe decisions off field, and players, except for the most headstrong and loyal types like Brayshaw/Serong and co, want to leave. We're not gonna get anywhere close to a flag as it stands, and might end up wasting a core of talented players who could actually play in a Fremantle flag if they had the right support cast and the right coach.

Brutal but don't disagree tbh. This whole era feels like a waiting period, until we find another highly competent RL type non-Fremantle coach who can inspire an organisation and lead us places. But then I don't have faith in the current admin to make a ballsy decision that is hard and correct, like the last one we made that led us to our only ever semi-successful period. Club has never been more irrelevant under this current leadership. We play safe footy, make safe decisions off field, and players, except for the most headstrong and loyal types like Brayshaw/Serong and co, want to leave. We're not gonna get anywhere close to a flag as it stands, and might end up wasting a core of talented players who could actually play in a Fremantle flag if they had the right support cast and the right coach.

I'd argue this is exactly false. Allowing the team to get younger and avoiding the temptation to chase B/C grade top ups to get a short term boost is precisely ballsy.

Rosich and Ross were the weak ones when they mortgaged our future for Hogan, Lobb et al. We finally have the leadership strength to sacrifice the short term for the long term gain. Even if it doesn't work, I am delighted the club actually took the right path.

Still can’t see this potato of a man winning a flag. Imagine him fumbling his way through grand final week media. Uninspiring bumpkin. He might coach Quairading to a flag but not an AFL team. Wasting our time.
Uninspiring, but his conservative nature during game day is worse.

It appeared he finally changed things up and it started with the inclusion of players like Wagner and giving the team a bit more freedom especially coming out of the backline.

The last 5 games were fairly good. Still need that Shultz replacement if we’re any chance as he played so well in those final few games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back