Rooboy 34

Club Legend
Feb 19, 2001
Captains Bar & Bay 34...
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne Wanderers CC...
Ok - I know that some are going to sh1t can me for this post, but I am a bit worried about J-Dubbya. His courage can not be questioned. His ball getting ability is great. And his selflessness (is that a word???) is up there with the best. But I am worried about a) his disposoal and b) his peripheral vision. So far in his 5 games, he has really struggled to hit a target and this week for the second time in 2 games he got hammered. Yes I know that he is still raw, but all the really good players consistently hit targets in their first few games - even if not as many as they would have liked. And vision is not something that is learned at AFL level - it is something they already have by the time they get there...

If he was just any other draft pick then I'd be wrapt with him so maybe I am putting him under extreme scrutiny, but given that he was so highly rated by everyone, I must admit that I am slightly disappointed (but more than willing and prepared to be proven wrong)...

Geez you are tough - I am not even sure he is through puberty yet. Thought he did ok today although his peripheral vision did seem to lack as he made a couple of bad choices - but hes a kid in his first season. What do you expect? I've got wine older than him.

JWS is top 5 at kicking at the Roos easily.

Will be our kick in taker for next year.

As I have said before, be patient.

Re: Boomer has blood on his hands

Worrying signs ? Don't worry about that Rooboy34 >>> I reckon the silly clawing Boomer inflicted on Campbell is this weeks 'only worry' >>> nothing in it but the claret flowing isn't going to weigh in Boomers favour.

Rooboy 34 said:
Ok - I know that some are going to sh1t can me for this post, but I am a bit worried about J-Dubbya. His courage can not be questioned. His ball getting ability is great. And his selflessness (is that a word???) is up there with the best. But I am worried about a) his disposoal and b) his peripheral vision. So far in his 5 games, he has really struggled to hit a target and this week for the second time in 2 games he got hammered. Yes I know that he is still raw, but all the really good players consistently hit targets in their first few games - even if not as many as they would have liked. And vision is not something that is learned at AFL level - it is something they already have by the time they get there...

If he was just any other draft pick then I'd be wrapt with him so maybe I am putting him under extreme scrutiny, but given that he was so highly rated by everyone, I must admit that I am slightly disappointed (but more than willing and prepared to be proven wrong)...

I agree with you, I've pretty muched said the same thing after every game he has played. People gave him votes a couple of weeks ago when he had about 10 kicks and 7 of them went to the op.

Look, I think the guy is something special and looks really good carring the ball but his kicking has been horrible. I guess it's all the talk from people like F/D (but I respect your opinion!!) that have placed my expectations so high.

Yoda, I will be...patient, I am!

Woodson said:
Worrying signs ? Don't worry about that Rooboy34 >>> I reckon the silly clawing Boomer inflicted on Campbell is this weeks 'only worry' >>> nothing in it but the claret flowing isn't going to weigh in Boomers favour.
What's with the >>> ?

Rooboy 34 said:

You're judging his peripheral vision? I think maybe you are judging his nerves and him taking a few games to adjust to the pace of AFL level. I imagine his vision is fine.

Woodson said:

Well spotted Woodson. It was stupid- the tribunal occasionally gives someone a week for stupidity. Hopefully, it'll be deemed accidental.

kangaroo19 said:
You're judging his peripheral vision? I think maybe you are judging his nerves and him taking a few games to adjust to the pace of AFL level. I imagine his vision is fine.

Last week when he got tackled by Whelan (I think) was just a total lack of awareness. It happened right in front of us, and just looked so bad. Vision isn't something you learn - well not at AFL level. It is something that you have from an early age...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your worried about him and his skills and his vision...??
Its just the same with most every other kid who plays.....last year Cooney looked ordinary it wasnt until late in the season he came good....The other comparison l draw is Delidio, l would suggest he gets a few more disposals turns it over and the Tiger supporters would be feeling a little the same as you. One thing JWS has got on most and thats the ability to win his own footy. I read in the paper friday surprisingly that Wells is the 20th worst kick at the club of the players who have played this year....but we remember his great kicks because they often result in goals.
PS: JWS was rated as one of the best in heavy traffic by the guru of the TAC
(sheehan) but he does look like a dear in the headlight at times...give him time.

Just something different..... when I first saw i picture of jesse I thought he doesn't look anything like his dad (who was one of my favourite players). But after he got his nose broken in the last quarter i saw the family resemblence! :D
It was also pretty amazing to see him get his nose put back in place when he was on the bench.

He has played 4 games.

Only the freaks can come into AFL footy and have time with the ball in their hands. The rest take time (more than you would think) to adjust to every facet of the game, most importantly the time you have compared to other comps you have played before.

He would have played 8 games or so against men in his whole life. He has all the tools.

i believe that as a forum group and north supporters we wish to see these kids all jump out and develop like chris judds, a good player is like a fine wine and improves with age, sit back and enjoy watching the players develop over thier games.

sit back and have a look at thier improvement over 25 game intervals.

patience grasshopper. remember the scrawny archer showing up in his first season?

players like skull, simmo, grant, harvey, are fine examples of what has evolved over game time.

harro, jnr, wells, dish, im sure theres more that are gonna form the main grp.

He will improve with experience, he is a very young kid. He should have his games balanced with VFL games so he is not overplayed very early in his career.

What about the Shephard he put on Richardson in the 3rd quarter. Always good to see a kid put his team before his own life in game 4 of his career and good to see that it was effective and he bounced straight back up

Ausgard said:
What about the Shephard he put on Richardson in the 3rd quarter. Always good to see a kid put his team before his own life in game 4 of his career and good to see that it was effective and he bounced straight back up

He is physically up there which is why he can play AFL footy at his age. He has been able to take and dish out bumps and tackles on larger experienced players.

Rooboy 34 said:

I have been walking away from games thinking exactly the same... but to think it is a problem this early in his career... wasn't Carey voted worst on ground in his debut match??? it's just too god damn early to worry about this stuff... :) :) just sit back and enjoy the ride...

Rooboy 34 said:

I thought the same after his first long kick yesterday was a floater BUT then I stopped to think that this kid is still going through the "Gee, look at all of these people" phase.

I reckon he looks an absolute special already. Great size and poise. The kicking and decision making will come very soon when he settles down.

We've got a live one here people.

Remove this Banner Ad

JWS - Some worrying signs...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back