Kallis, Ponting or Tendulkar - Who is better?

Remove this Banner Ad

BluesInTheSky

Debutant
Suspended
Jun 11, 2009
Brussels
AFL Club
Carlton
For me I would take Tendulkar by a country mile. Followed by Kallis, Tendulkar is a true great a living legend, Kallis is very, very good and Ponting is good. What do you guys think?

It entirely depends on what context one is looking at, if it is playing an important part in the teams victory and scoring runs when it matters then the order is

Ponting
Sachin
Kallis

with very little difference between Kallis and Sachin

But if its the sheer pleasure of watching a batsman bat and dominate bowlers when in full cry then the order is

Sachin
Sachin
Sachin

Though one must say Ponting at his best is a batsman that one can watch all day as well Kallis not so much.... But the way Sachin used to go after bowlers in his day was something not seen by many the only other person that gave so much pleasure in watching him bat was King Vivian Richards....

I would take Kallis in a heart beat.

He is basically two players in one. A gun top order batmen (averaging 55~) and a solid 1st change bowler (averaging 30~). He is a guy you can structure your team around. Absolute all-round genius.

Ponting and Tendulkar are close seconds but i'd probably take Sachin. Ponting to me doesn't look as fluent as the little master as he 'jumps' at the ball. Sachin is more technically gifted.

all at their best i would take Ponting as a dominant number 3 always ensures a good start and pressure back on the other side.

Kallis while a run machine just never seems to have a influence on games a huge run maker should.

Tendulkar for pure talent is the better batsman then both of them but Pontings record at batting number 3 holds more value in my opinion.

Purely on stats you would say that Kallis is the best. But purely on stats one could also argue that Scott West was better than James Hird.

Looking at the bigger picture, Kallis does not influence games the way Ponting and Tendulkar do. You'd have to say that Punter has declined a fair bit in recent years where as Tendulkar just keeps on keeping on. But when they were both at their absolute best it was a pretty close battle.

It's a difficult one - that's for sure - however anyone claiming that any of the three is miles ahead of the others is delusional.

In terms of batting - it's between Tendulkar and Ponting. From a records point of view, Tendulkar I would say is slightly superior - however he has failed on the big stage of the pointy end of world cup finals. Ponting on the other hand has stood up twice. IN addition - Ponting bats at 3 - probably the toughest spot - neither Kallis or Tendulkar have been able to do that.

In saying that I'd still lean towards Tendulkar though for an all-round batting game.

Kallis's batting is effective but slow - Ponting as an example scores his runs at a much quicker rate and therefore creates more opportunity for victory.

Kallis obviously has the other two covered in bowling. Tendulak is better than ponting at bowling - but it likes comparing finding 10 cents on the grond as opposed to 20cents. One is better, but they are both irrelevant.

Ponting also has the captaincy record that the other 2 have. For all that he is bagged, he still holds better records as captain than anyone else - and for 4 years of that - without mcgrath and warne.

Overall - i'd have ponting and tendulkar on par as cricketers - slightly ahead of kallis.

1. Sachin - weight of numbers and pleasure to watch leaves him as an easy to pick at number 1. Can't argue with 47 hundreds @ 55. And at a time where aussie bowling attacks tormented batsmen the world over, he was able to make them look mortal with 10 tons @ 56.

2. Kallis - as Good Win said, he is 2 players in one, and 2 world class players at that. In an era of 10-15 tests a year, to be able to average 55 in the top order and 31 with the ball as a genuine 1st/2nd change bowler is amazing. Is now 3rd of all time in Test Centuries, and 28th for Test Wickets (should easily finish top 20 with 300+)

3. 3rd best batsman I have ever seen in my lifetime. Like Sachin, his record speaks for itself. 39 tons @ 55 is amazing, and has the ability to make any bowling attack look like a first class side.

I have Sachin ahead of Ponting purely on his undeniable numbers. Both are similar batsmen in that they both look to stamp authority on teams and take the attack to bowlers, Sachin has just been able to do it better.

I have Kallis ahead of Ponting because he is world class in both facets. Has only 5 less tons than Ponting, but has 260 wickets. If it was just on batting Ponting would be streets ahead, but his wickets are enough to edge him in front.

The next 12-18 will decide for me where Ponting ends on this list. The rough patch he is going through at the moment was the same as what Sachin went through a couple of years ago. He has been able to come out the other side and score 7-8 more tons and is looking as strong as ever. If Ponting can do the same and end up with say 44 or 45 centuries, it coould leap frog him to number 1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tendulkar purely as a batsmen, closely followed ponting who has probably played less against the minnow nations, but has a poor record in India, whereas Sachin has a great record all round the world.

However i will still chose ponting as he has captained Australia to two world cups, numerous series victories, bats at 3 and has a great record of making runs when needed. How good would a side be with Ponting at 3 and Sachin at 4.

Kallis 3rd, great all rounder, terrific player but i don't seem him as damaging as the other two and can be a bit selfish and stagnate in his approach to batting. Wouldn't be a bad number 5 to follow the other two.

You clearly have an issue with Punter, but that's fine ;)

Interesting that we're discussing batting and bowling, yet nobody seems to consider fielding ability too important.

Very Good point KE:thumbsu:. I don't think there would be anyone better at the moment in the world when it comes to fielding than ponting. And I still can't believe Kallis is getting mentioned in the same sentance as Tendulker and Ponting.

I don't think there would be anyone better at the moment in the world when it comes to fielding than ponting.
Oh dear god :eek:

A horrible slipper is Ponting, and hasn't been consistent at throwing the stumps down since the 90s.

Was a great fielder in his day, but he's average now.

A horrible slipper is Ponting, and hasn't been consistent at throwing the stumps down since the 90s.

Was a great fielder in his day, but he's average now.

We must be watching different games then???? because I haven't seen ponting miss too often.

But thats just my opinion

Kallis plays for himself more than the other two.

Interesting to see how long each lasts for. Kallis may choose to play on until after ponting retires just to get more test runs.

Anyone have the stats?

Was a great fielder in his day, but he's average now

[YOUTUBE]UpTPQsMR6o0[/YOUTUBE]
is his day? the 90's?

sounds like your the one that needs the 'oh dear god' :eek:

[youtube]UpTPQsMR6o0[/youtube]
is his day? the 90's?

sounds like your the one that needs the 'oh dear god' :eek:
Oh ffs. How about those catches he's dropped in the recent era with his fingers up technique? Dropped a crucial catch in the ashes with that horrible technique of his. He stands way too far back, so many balls fall short of the slips.

In the 90s when he was at Point/Gully he was a gun fielder. It looks like a more natural position for him, took everything and was a much better thrower when he fielded in that position.

Now he might get 1 run out a summer and they say "he rarely misses" which is clearly not the case.

Remove this Banner Ad

Kallis, Ponting or Tendulkar - Who is better?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back