• kane lucas

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • jordan gysberts

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sigh. I thought we'd been through this already?

Lucas's disposal average is 17 in games he wasn't injured.

True. Plus he was the sub against Richmond. Still played a half though.
Gysberts has pretty good numbers. Is he the typical ball magnet type player?

There really is not much between them on exposed AFL form.

Ok- Gysberts' average is 26 then if removing games when injured.

Game one- 27
Game two - 26
Game three- 10 (but injured mid second quarter so removed)
Game four 25

Average when not injured 26.

Stats still look better than Lucas's even if you dont remove the injury game. Further highlighting that he is better performed at this ridiculously early juncture in their careers, which in turn further highlights why rating Lucas 'as far head' of Gysberts is wrong.

In any case both players will be very good for their clubs.

No idea where you got many did accidentally put an 's' on the word poster to make it plural.

I acknowledge at least 1 poster said they thought Geelong wanted him, however he knows nothing about the draft.

Anywho, Lucas has to try and get a game where we have a abundance of mid fielders and flankers whereas at Melbourne Gysberts will regularly get games.

Dont worry, this thread will be subscripted to and will get a much needed bump in a year or 2.

Contradicting yourself in one sentence- that's impressive!

You have no idea where I got 'many' from- yet you wrote 'posters'....

Anyway I don't understand why you are being so single minded about the topic. Both players will be very good moving forward, and no one knows who will be better (as I've said many times).

I simply don't think it is fair for anyone to say either is ahead 'by far', let alone the one who is trailing considerably in every stat...

Stats still look better than Lucas's even if you dont remove the injury game. Further highlighting that he is better performed at this ridiculously early juncture in their careers, which in turn further highlights why rating Lucas 'as far head' of Gysberts is wrong.

Not doubting that Gysberts has been the better performed player to doubt but Lucas hasn't exactly struggled to date either.

Whether they'll both end up good players, only time will tell. I'm optimistic about the prospects of both but its too early to say with certainty whether they'll make it or not.

Not doubting that Gysberts has been the better performed player to doubt but Lucas hasn't exactly struggled to date either.

Whether they'll both end up good players, only time will tell. I'm optimistic about the prospects of both but its too early to say with certainty whether they'll make it or not.

Yep- pretty much where I'm at as well. I'm fairly confident that both will make it, albeit as fairly different types of player :thumbsu:

Really impressed with what I have seen of Gysberts, reminds me a lot of a young Pendlebury.

Lucas reminds me more of a vanilla Scotland/Carazzo type of player.

Still early days, but long term I'd have my money on Gysberts being the better player.

Interesting poll.

To be honest, I'm only interested in the opinions of non Carlton/Melbourne supporters.

to those who think its a stupid poll i started it because some carlton supporters think that lucas is miles ahead of gysberts and i cant see how they can come to that conclusion it is still way to early to tell and will both be good players i would still take gysberts but im biased so interested to here neutral supporters thoughts

They both have good footy brains and can accumulate a lot of the ball but that's where the similarities end. Lucas can dispose of the ball well, is a good, fast runner, good mark and tackler and those are all things Gysberts really struggles with. He's always been a better player right back to juniors and has been much more effective at AFL level so far as well.
Yet Gysberts averages more tackles, marks and goals per game.

Sigh. Gysberts averages 26 when un-injured.

Both players will be good over the distance of their careers. But for Carlton fans to say Lucas is ahead let alone a long way ahead is stupid.

I love this topic because it's hilarious watching Sin City absolutely lose his nut with Anti-Gysberts rage, champagne comedy right there. Gysberts could win the rookie award, then the Norm Smith medal and the next three Brownlow's and Sin would still find something to bitch and moan about :D

Very happy with Gysberts. Smart and strong inside mid with good awareness and disposal, when his body fills out he's going to be very hard to match up against because of his size and ability to run all day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anywho, Lucas has to try and get a game where we have a abundance of mid fielders and flankers whereas at Melbourne Gysberts will regularly get games.

Love this comment. Gysberts has played a total of 4 games so you saying he will regularly get games because Melbourne are no good highlights your lack of knowledge.
Also highlights how utterly pointless this comparison is at this stage.

You came to that assumption yourself that Melbourne are no good, I said nothing of the sort.

We have an established midfield, you dont...think you may be demonstrating a lack of knowledge there.

You came to that assumption yourself that Melbourne are no good, I said nothing of the sort.

We have an established midfield, you dont...think you may be demonstrating a lack of knowledge there.

I love this topic because it's hilarious watching Sin City absolutely lose his nut with Anti-Gysberts rage, champagne comedy right there. Gysberts could win the rookie award, then the Norm Smith medal and the next three Brownlow's and Sin would still find something to bitch and moan about :D

Where's the rage? I get mild amusement from Melbourne supporters who think Gysberts is good because he knows how to find the ball yet they can't see how all his other deficiencies make him a pretty ineffective player. The only rage comes from Melbourne supporters who are getting embarrassed about their club constantly stuffing up their high draft picks.

Where's the rage? I get mild amusement from Melbourne supporters who think Gysberts is good because he knows how to find the ball yet they can't see how all his other deficiencies make him a pretty ineffective player. The only rage comes from Melbourne supporters who are getting embarrassed about their club constantly stuffing up their high draft picks.

Let's be honest, if Carlton, hypothetically, didn't **** up and trade pick 11 for Mclean, and in turn, used it to select Gysberts, and he had done exactly what he's done for Melbourne at Carlton, you would be loving it and giving him a heap of praise.

As it stands, though, you choose to say outrageous crap like Gysberts really struggles to tackle, whilst talking up Lucas' ability to do so, all the while forgetting that Gysberts actually averages more tackles per game than Kane.

To me, the thing that stands out about Gysberts, aside from his intelligence and ability to find the ball, is the way he manages to find that extra bit of time and space that most players don't. In that sense, I think the Pendlebury comparison above is a pretty good one, even if Jordan isn't as good by foot.

Let's be honest, if Carlton, hypothetically, didn't **** up and trade pick 11 for Mclean, and in turn, used it to select Gysberts, and he had done exactly what he's done for Melbourne at Carlton, you would be loving it and giving him a heap of praise.

You need to stop being so childish when you post. It's only Melbourne supporters that keep bringing McLean up because it still stings them that their future captain walked out on them. I didn't rate Gysberts for the pick that he went at, more like a late second rounder and as I and others have continually pointed out to you he hasn't been impressive in his games. FWIW Carlton would've drafted Jasper Pittard if they'd kept the pick.

As it stands, though, you choose to say outrageous crap like Gysberts really struggles to tackle, whilst talking up Lucas' ability to do so, all the while forgetting that Gysberts actually averages more tackles per game than Kane.

Again, you're carrying on like a child. It's been pointed out about three times that while they've both only had a few games Lucas was injured very early in two of his games and came on late as the sub in another. Forget about averages. Lucas has displayed surprisingly good defensive intentions and physicality since he debuted, certainly better than in his junior career while it's just not part of Gysberts game.

To me, the thing that stands out about Gysberts, aside from his intelligence and ability to find the ball, is the way he manages to find that extra bit of time and space that most players don't. In that sense, I think the Pendlebury comparison above is a pretty good one, even if Jordan isn't as good by foot.

I would really hold off on these comparisons if I were you, they will come back to bite you.

You need to stop being so childish when you post. It's only Melbourne supporters that keep bringing McLean up because it still stings them that their future captain walked out on them. I didn't rate Gysberts for the pick that he went at, more like a late second rounder and as I and others have continually pointed out to you he hasn't been impressive in his games. FWIW Carlton would've drafted Jasper Pittard if they'd kept the pick.

Again, you're carrying on like a child. It's been pointed out about three times that while they've both only had a few games Lucas was injured very early in two of his games and came on late as the sub in another. Forget about averages. Lucas has displayed surprisingly good defensive intentions and physicality since he debuted, certainly better than in his junior career while it's just not part of Gysberts game.

I would really hold off on these comparisons if I were you, they will come back to bite you.

Really Sin City? :confused:

There's a fair amount of tripe and vitirol in that post. I rate your work normally & can't understand your posting here... Especially the Mclean part!

I don't reckon this thread is going anywhere- both sets of supporters are right to think their player will be better, as there's no way to be sure at this point. Probs not worth continuing this discussion until at least the end of the season so they can get a few games under their belts...

Really Sin City? :confused:

There's a fair amount of tripe and vitirol in that post. I rate your work normally & can't understand your posting here... Especially the Mclean part!

I don't reckon this thread is going anywhere- both sets of supporters are right to think their player will be better, as there's no way to be sure at this point. Probs not worth continuing this discussion until at least the end of the season so they can get a few games under their belts...
There's no vitriol. Melbourne could've used a decent draft pick on a good player but I don't think they did. They could've got a much better player than what they did. The same as McLean could've been playing good footy for us but couldn't get on the park after Ryder slammed into his hip.

I agree though, it's not much of a thread and is going nowhere.

what's this i hear about gysberts' kicking being poor?

he was top 10 for kicking efficiency in his draft year at the combine and he had an efficiency of 72% on the weekend iirc

solid numbers

gysberts has a lot of time and space, which i think is fantastic, there are areas he can work on his game definitely, but he is also a fantastic clearance player, 8 clearances on the weekend, and in the vfl i think he had something like 13-15 the week before he got called up

will be an important part of our midfield going forward, really happy with that pick by barry p.

i was never a fan of lucas, but i can see he has the ability to be a fairly good afl player

Numbers mean nothing if you've got zero hurt factor.

One poster mentioned that they felt Kane Lucas was a bit vanilla - but to me, that is exactly what Gysberts is. Nothing more, nothing less.

The thing that amazes me the most about this thread, is that nearly every Carlton supporter is an expert on Jordan Gysberts after 4 games. So many of you have apparently seen every game he's played (and I assume many VFL games as well) and have seen enough to be able to write him off- despite most neutrals and stats saying he's been impressive.

I watch a lot of football and feel in no way qualified to pass judgement on Kane Lucas- despite having seen him play more times than I've seen Gysberts play (purely due to Lucas having played triple the AFL games).

In any case I think the thread has run it's course, there's not much evidence to go on for either player as their careers are in their infancy. Will be interesting to revisit in a year or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back