Kangaroos all set for four games in Hobart

Remove this Banner Ad

i wonder whether theres been any consideration for the years in which half the roos reserves played for the tassie vfl team.

they came down, contributed nothing, made it clear they had no interest in being there and stirred a heap of shit.

were it not for the fact that tasmanians have short memories, that in itself couldve been a deal breaker.

as it is, i think its a reasonable indicator of the lack of respect that the roos have for tassie

I think Skilled Stadium is the narrowest isn't it (am happy to be corrected on this one) at around 117m wide?

Correct :thumbsu:
In fact I think it's 169m x 115m at Geelong.
I was there last Saturday when the Cats played Collingwood in the VFL game and was actually quite surprised at how narrow the ground was.
It's actually almost as narrow as North Hobart (very narrow), Bellerive (I was there a few weeks ago) is a larger ground.
Aurora is a lot larger than both.

i wonder whether theres been any consideration for the years in which half the roos reserves played for the tassie vfl team.

they came down, contributed nothing, made it clear they had no interest in being there and stirred a heap of shit.

were it not for the fact that tasmanians have short memories, that in itself couldve been a deal breaker.

as it is, i think its a reasonable indicator of the lack of respect that the roos have for tassie

I think AFL Tasmania, Scott Wade and Darryn Cresswell were as much to blame in that whole balls-up as anyone to be honest.
They saw "AFL LISTED PLAYERS!!!!111!!!!" in big lights and were falling over themselves, creaming their pants in an effort to get them into the Devils to try and win the VFL flag, because, as good an effort as the Devils made in going close to winning a premiership, the lack of having those listed players probably cost them in the end.
But - that's was NOT what having that team playing was all about, it was about giving the players here a "pathway" (that corporate wanky word) to the higher levels since the TFL was liquidated in 1999.
This was an adminstrative ego-trip more than anything and it was quite obvious the visiting North players weren't all that interested, and who can blame them, they had no real connection with the place and just wanted to get back in the 1's.

PS: Did anyone happen to see the news here tonight?
If what was reported was true, then North fans on here won't have any hassles about losing home games in Melbourne.
The narrow-minded, backward Launceston Mafia are at it again! Apparently a large number of business groups in Launceston are trying to band together in an effort to have games banned in Hobart, so that Launceston exclusively hosts AFL football, plus they want the sport's governing body relocated there as well :rolleyes:
If that happens I'll be boycotting the venue for good, regardless of whether Richmond plays there, I'll fly to Melbourne instead.
It's a disgrace.

Where you train is irrelevant.

Its where you play

Canberra - burned them off.
Gold Coast - burned them off.
Hobart - fast running out of options so they better make this work. Not too many options after this - perhaps Geelong or Darwin?

And lets look at North's VFL history
Port Melbourne - burned them off
Now you have to split your list into two seperate VFL sides, one of them 2 hours up the road. Hardly ideal.

North Melbourne Bedouins. They just wander from town to town looking for a place to sleep.
You forgot there VFL team the Murray Kangaroos and they played in Sydney as well didn't they?

I personally made the trip a couple of years ago and saw North flog Hawthorn with Corey Jones bagging 7 goals.

What's more, I was pleasantly surprised to see the crowd was made up of ~40% North supporters.

I inquired at the local sports store as to how the memorabilia was going, and he stated that he had sold more North gear than Hawthorn gear. Truth.

Gee the flights from melb must have been fully booked.....to get that many.

Yeah.
I am just trying to hose down some of your supporters unrealistic expectations.

The Hawthorn deal works because of the State Government support.
The money won't be coming from there.

The three major councils are all significantly smaller than the Launceston City Council that has invested heavily in its own stadium over more than ten years. They may support Hobart games but won't be big investors, much as many club supporters don't buy memberships.

AFL Tasmania is virtually insolvent.
Cricket Tasmania is trying to find somebody else to pay for improvements to their headquarters.

Somebody will have to pay. I just can't see who.

The loud noises are coming from people who don't have the money...

PAY?? North/Brayshaw .... maybe one of those white knights so conveniently ignored by some ... this mob have a handout mentality, how about the Hawks kicking the can for North.

& more cricket types trying to get into the wallets of AFL fans ... join a cricket club to go the footy, yeah !!

A fantastic day for our club.

My thanks to all the true football people in this thread that give their best wishes.:thumbsu:

In all seriousness do you think this is true ? I don't care that North have beaten the tigers to this but all the north supporters hated the games they sold interstate previously and didn't JB say you were staying in Melbourne now ? Your club struggles now to bring a crowd in good days or bad in melbourne (even the days when you were an asbolute powerhouse and Carey was king of the jungle). What happened to JB's grand plans ? Sounds like he's out of Ideas and he's dishing up more of the same. I seriously thought North had ruled the moving around option out, why is tasmania going to be any better for you financially than any of the other failed moves to draw a crowd. This isn't a potshot I seriously don't understand how this aligns with the JB alternate strategy to build your club, you've done this before a couple of times and failed horribly. Your not going to bring any more of a crowd in tasmania than you did anywhere else.

The sinister piece here..... which you guys might not have entertained here is that Tassy really want an afl side , the afl tried to send you to the gold coast you didn't go. In 3 to 4 more years times when your still struggling financially and they want a tassy team ... guess what you're already down there with a ground and some supporter base they withdraw the equalisation money they give you and you have now choice.

The sinister piece here..... which you guys might not have entertained here is that Tassy really want an afl side , the afl tried to send you to the gold coast you didn't go.

A Tassie side will eventually happen, but it will be at least another decade IMO.

In the meantime, this is a good way to build up infrastructure.

In 3 to 4 more years times when your still struggling financially and they want a tassy team ...

This sentence is representative of most of the poorly thought out media lemming arguments.

If North get $10-12 million over that 3-4 years then we will be completely debt free.

...guess what you're already down there with a ground and some supporter base they withdraw the equalisation money they give you and you have now choice.

Tasmania will never accept a relocated Melbourne club as a Tasmanian club.

Again, you have a poor understanding of the financial realities.

If North get $10-12 million over that 3-4 years then we will be completely debt free.

How much profit did North make last year with AFL equalisation money ? Thats not a loaded question I don't know . Is 10-12 million profit a reality in 3-4 years ? You'll need to be making 3 or so million profit each year to achieve that and I don't the afl will continue to pay you from the equalisation fund at the rate they do when your making that much profit.

How I see it is the afl might think this is good for you , it will allow you to stand on your own two feet without subsidisation every year only the money here the AFL will use to replace your subsidisation not to allow North to build a massive financial portfolio at the expense of the clubs that subsidise it now from the equalisation fund, which I guess is a good thing for North and it's supporters I don't think its going to make you debt free.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In all seriousness do you think this is true ? I don't care that North have beaten the tigers to this but all the north supporters hated the games they sold interstate previously and didn't JB say you were staying in Melbourne now ? Your club struggles now to bring a crowd in good days or bad in melbourne (even the days when you were an asbolute powerhouse and Carey was king of the jungle). What happened to JB's grand plans ? Sounds like he's out of Ideas and he's dishing up more of the same. I seriously thought North had ruled the moving around option out,

JB has said since the very start of his time as Chairman that selling games interstate may still be a necessity. Sorry that you didn't get the memo.

How much profit did North make last year with AFL equalisation money ? Thats not a loaded question I don't know .

I believe it was around $60,000.

BTW, I hope you're not intimating that equalisation money is some form of charity that can be pulled off the table at a moments notice.

We get paid that so Collingwood can have 6 Friday night games, 17 matches a year in Melbourne, Anzac day game, Queens Birthday game etc, every year.

Most North fans would be happy to have a fairer draw and scheduling and forgo the CBF.

Is 10-12 million profit a reality in 3-4 years ? You'll need to be making 3 or so million profit each year to achieve that and

Where you get the notion that we need 3 million dollars profit a year over 4 years to extinguish our debt is anyone's guess, but it has no relationship to reality.

Norths current overall debt is around $4.5 million, which only costs the club around $200K per year to service, which goes to show the doomsayers around here just how far away we are from insolvency.

I'd be comfortable in claiming that the Hobart deal would see North extinguish it's debt inside 3 years, possibly 2 years.

Everything after that will be profit. North could then set about investing some of this money in to the local/Ballarat area.

A 10 year arrangement would see North become a strong viable club in its own right.

I don't the afl will continue to pay you from the equalisation fund at the rate they do when your making that much profit.

Maybe it would alter somewhat, but the equalisation fund is a complex equation.

How I see it is the afl might think this is good for you , it will allow you to stand on your own two feet without subsidisation every year only the money here the AFL will use to replace your subsidisation not to allow North to build a massive financial portfolio at the expense of the clubs that subsidise it now from the equalisation fund, which I guess is a good thing for North and it's supporters...

Yes, aside from your misunderstanding of the equalisation fund, I agree.

It's a good thing for all parties concerned and only those that are insincere about Norths best interests would conclude otherwise.

I don't think its going to make you debt free.

You need to look at the numbers again.

And then what happens to North nomads?

Get your facts right.

The North Melbourne Football Club are still in North Melbourne.

It's a pity a similar thing can't be said for the Collingwood Football Club.

Sooner or later the Tassie Govt will work out that its cheaper to run their own club than to waste it on two Victorian clubs.

Then that does not bode well for Hawthorn.

You're not very good at this trolling caper, I suggest you give it away before you make yourself look like an even bigger fool.

Does this mean Tim Lane will stop writing articles about Tasmania getting their own AFL team, or will he redouble his efforts?
I certainly hope he keeps writing the articles.

Tassie deserves its own side, not a few games from each of a couple of Melbourne based clubs whoring themselves out for money.

Is there any? Not sure if there is. The only real way to find out for sure is to suck it and see.

But I'd be prepared to take an educated guess based on the record attendance at Aurora, the 1200 or so members of the Hobart Richmond Tigers Supporter group, the 400 odd that attended a recent function held in Bernie, the decent little whack of RFC members with TAS listed in the state column........

Dunno what that has to do with North succeeding in that market though but you won't get close to what Hawthorn have achieved.
Did they spend the weekend there?

Do you by any chance mean Burnie?

Gee, do you think? Wonder why they didn't just start their own team 100 years ago.

There wasnt a national comp 100 years ago.

Think about it. If they are are paying millions every year to get eight games a year played in Tassie, its only a short hop from there to getting eleven. At that point they'll want their own side based in Tassie, and the gravy train for the Vic fly-ins will stop. Its a natural progression.

Remove this Banner Ad

Kangaroos all set for four games in Hobart

Remove this Banner Ad

Back