Kangaroos all set for four games in Hobart

Remove this Banner Ad

There wasnt a national comp 100 years ago.

Think about it. If they are are paying millions every year to get eight games a year played in Tassie, its only a short hop from there to getting eleven. At that point they'll want their own side based in Tassie, and the gravy train for the Vic fly-ins will stop. Its a natural progression.

You haven't factored in the millions in tourism that the arrangement with the Melbourne clubs brings to the table, which is the primary reason for these arrangements in the first place.

In fact, you don't seem to know anything really in relation to this whole matter.

The Tasmanian Government has no part in any prospective arrangement with North.

Get yourself better educated with the matter instead of continually making yourself look ignorant with stupid comments.

So where's the money coming from????

from the original article...
"Hawthorn plays at Aurora Stadium in the north of the state four times a season in a lucrative deal with the Tasmanian government. That deal ends after the 2011 season, so the government will then be under pressure to ratchet back the money it pays Hawthorn to help fund the Roos' foray into the south of the island."

You haven't factored in the millions in tourism that the arrangement with the Melbourne clubs brings to the table, which is the primary reason for these arrangements in the first place.

In fact, you don't seem to know anything really in relation to this whole matter.

The tourism argument applies equally if they had their own club based equally in Hobart and Launceston. Paying Vic clubs to play games here is just a stepping stone in a grander plan.

If you want to move to Tassie you need to be prepared to move there permenantly, because unlike Hawthorn you cant afford to move back home.

So where's the money coming from????

This answer has been pointed out on more than one occasion in this thread, go back and find it.

Hawthorn plays at Aurora Stadium in the north of the state four times a season in a lucrative deal with the Tasmanian government. That deal ends after the 2011 season, so the government will then be under pressure to ratchet back the money it pays Hawthorn to help fund the Roos' foray into the south of the island.

The Tasmanian Government has publicly stated that it is seeking an ongoing arrangement with the Hawthorn Football Club.

Your level of fail in this thread is reaching epic proportions.

This answer has been pointed out on more than one occasion in this thread, go back and find it.

The Tasmanian Government has publicly stated that it is seeking an ongoing arrangement with the Hawthorn Football Club.

Your level of fail in this thread is reaching epic proportions.

I quoted from the original article. It clearly states the Govt has to fund the Roos foray into Hobart. Obviously they dont want Hawthorn to leave at this stage- that would defeat the purpose of expanding AFL in Tassie.

Who do you think is going to write the cheque if it isnt the Tassie Government????

If the gate receipts are similar to other interstate deals (~$400K per game), and if it is indeed a long term deal for 4 games a year, it could very well be the move that establishes them in Melbourne forever.

Assumning $1.5 mil to play the games there, probably at least half a mill in memberships, local sponsorship and merchandise on top of that. I'm not on top of the finer details of the new MCG/Etihad statium deals agreed to last year, but this kind of deal might also have the added bonus of taking a couple of loss generating Melbourne based matches (against interstate sides) off their books.

It doesn't hold a candle to the Hawthorn deal, but still, $2mil a season to the bottom line, year in, year out can prove the difference between long term viability in Melbourne and relocation.

I wish the Doggies would have pursued it, rather than the split Darwin/Canberra ventures.

If the gate receipts are similar to other interstate deals (~$400K per game), and if it is indeed a long term deal for 4 games a year, it could very well be the move that establishes them in Melbourne forever.

Assumning $1.5 mil to play the games there, probably at least half a mill in memberships, local sponsorship and merchandise on top of that. I'm not on top of the finer details of the new MCG/Etihad statium deals agreed to last year, but this kind of deal might also have the added bonus of taking a couple of loss generating Melbourne based matches (against interstate sides) off their books.

It doesn't hold a candle to the Hawthorn deal, but still, $2mil a season to the bottom line, year in, year out can prove the difference between long term viability in Melbourne and relocation.

I wish the Doggies would have pursued it, rather than the split Darwin/Canberra ventures.

That is exactly how I see it.

Some on our board think it is some Machiavellian plot to have the club eventually relocated, but the majority of the Tasmanian people will never embrace a relocated Melbourne club as a Tasmanian club.

The scenario would be good to run for a decade to build up the existing infrastructure and then make a serious launch for a stand alone Tasmanian side.

Some on our board think it is some Machiavellian plot to have the club eventually relocated, but the majority of the Tasmanian people will never embrace a relocated Melbourne club as a Tasmanian club.

I dont know why you'd come to that conclusion. They've been waiting a long time for their own club and they'll be happy either way.

I dont know why you'd come to that conclusion. They've been waiting a long time for their own club and they'll be happy either way.
Doubt it.

I was born and raised there. Most Tassie people already support an AFL club.

If a Melbourne based side was relocated there, you'd have a damn hard time getting the locals to get behind them. It's still an opposition club, simply a relocated one.

I know if I were still living there I'd have a hard time supporting North Melbourne playing as the "Tasmanian Kangaroos" or whatever.

Having their own side from scratch would be a different matter however, they could support that side a lot more easily, knowing that the Tassie side would only come up against their originally supported side at most two or three times in a season.

Put yourself in the situation - if you lived in Tassie as a Collingwood supporter, would you get behind another Melbourne club dressed up as a Tasmanian side?

Put yourself in the situation - if you lived in Tassie as a Collingwood supporter, would you get behind another Melbourne club dressed up as a Tasmanian side?

I probably wouldnt change either way.

But in 20 years time when I'm old and frail my kids wont care whether their team was born in Tassie or migrated from across the shores.

But in 20 years time when I'm old and frail my kids wont care whether their team was born in Tassie or migrated from across the shores.

So you take a vulnerable team from Melbourne and make them an instantly vulnerable team in Tasmania?

That logic really worked well for the Sydney Swans, and they had a market that was 10 times bigger.:rolleyes:

So you take a vulnerable team from Melbourne and make them an instantly vulnerable team in Tasmania?

That logic really worked well for the Sydney Swans, and they had a market that was 10 times bigger.:rolleyes:

What makes you think a team from Tasmania will be vulnerable?

It's North Melbourne that's in a vulnerable position, but people like you, can't accept that fact.

But, at least the Swans WILL survive, I give North at least 3 years, before the AFL will ask them to relocate to Tasmania or fold. (Depends which comes 1st). This is just the 1st step in that relocation plans, since Brayshaw is going against his word about playing all your games in Melbourne.

You should be pissed off at your administration, not applauding them. :thumbsdown:

That's why it is a ridiculous concept to relocate a side to Tassie.

Living in Sydney, I can understand the argument that having an AFL side get a firm foothold in the market is a generational thing - it is a big task to turn people around in a non-AFL state. The Swans are still not there yet, it may take another generation before they are.

But in an Aussie Rules mad state, it is a completely different situation. You shouldn't have to wait 20 or 30 years for the majority of people to fully get behind the team.

If an AFL side goes into Tassie (or anywhere for that matter), you have to give it the maximum chance of early success. And you will do that by starting a side from scratch, not by importing some Melbourne club and waiting for a generation of new supporters to get behind it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NMFC have previously whored themselves out and sold home games to Sydney, Canberra and Gold Coast as blow-ins for a quick grab for cash. For their sake, I hope they show greater commitment to this Hobart venture and it isn't just another cheap quickie.

Does this mean Tim Lane will stop writing articles about Tasmania getting their own AFL team, or will he redouble his efforts?
The North move is in line with the Hawks revenue from poker machine's. Can't really lose when money is thrown at you for short term gratification.

Tim Lane is right, Tassie Team stand alone was the way to go. Won't happen for even longer now.

They survived in a hostile market and won a flag after a 76 year drought. Better than extinction.

The Bears started from the ground up and fared worse than the relocated South Melbourne, until a merger with Fitzroy turned the ship.

Tassie is not a hostile market. Relocation there would be a lot easier than what the Swans went through in the 80's.

It's North Melbourne that's in a vulnerable position, but people like you, can't accept that fact.

But, at least the Swans WILL survive, I give North at least 3 years, before the AFL will ask them to relocate to Tasmania or fold. (Depends which comes 1st). This is just the 1st step in that relocation plans, since Brayshaw is going against his word about playing all your games in Melbourne.

Wow.
How many times have I heard that over the years?
How many times have you doomsayers been right?

Last time i checked we:
1. Are still alive.
2. Are still based at North Melbourne.
3. Have World Class training facilities.
4. Have a new, fresh, brilliant coach amd exciting young list.
5. Have an administration which is moving the club forward.
6. Turned two consectutive profits, and are likely to post a third successive profit in 2010.

I reckon i've been told we'd be dead "in three years" every year for the past 15 years atleast...

Time to give it a rest i think, and maybe come up with some new material. :thumbsu:

They survived in a hostile market and won a flag after a 76 year drought. Better than extinction.

Tassie is not a hostile market. Relocation there would be a lot easier than what the Swans went through in the 80's.

That is not a justification for a relocated Melbourne side in Tasmania.

It's a dumb stupid idea.

It won't happen.

That is not a justification for a relocated Melbourne side in Tasmania.

It's a dumb stupid idea.

It won't happen.
Agreed.

I've already pointed out to him why it is totally the wrong idea to relocate a Melbourne side into Tassie.

What makes you think a team from Tasmania will be vulnerable?

You should be pissed off at your administration, not applauding them. :thumbsdown:

I don't like this Tassie shit but for the record, Brayshaw was always very open and honest in saying we may still have to sell games interstate.

You moved because you were struggling in Melbourne mate. That is a fact. When you moved you were struggling. You have made it work helped by a permier team and good luck to you but don't try to ignore history. The hawthorn which moved to Tassie was a struggling club.

In 2000 (the year before we played 2 games in Tasmania)

27,879 members (6/16 in the league) Debt Free

In 2005 (the year before we played 4 games in Tasmania)

29,261 members (9/16 in the league) $7m in Net Assets

Hardly a sign of struggling in the Melbourne marketplace.

Remove this Banner Ad

Kangaroos all set for four games in Hobart

Remove this Banner Ad

Back