Kangaroos all set for four games in Hobart

Remove this Banner Ad

Fact: It takes longer to get to Bellerieve from outside of Hobart than it does to get from anywhere else to Aurora Stadium. This WILL and does make a difference to people in Tassie, where anything more than a 20 minute drive is seen as "long".

Basically what youre saying is if you had a straight highway (which we do) going from Hobart to launceston it would take longer to drive north than it would south. Its logically flawed.

Not to menion all those that live down on the South-East coast (Sorrel, Cygnet, Dover, Port Arthur, Huonville).

Hawthorn will get huge sustained growth ...............because...............well..............we're Hawthorn.
How about because we put in the hard yards? Hawthorn run clinics in the off season and every time they come down to play, do community work where ever possible and actively seek to promote its ties with Tasmania on the mainland. The Monday after the 2008 Premiership the Cup was presented in Tasmania.

Unless North does the same you will wither and die. The reason people are skeptical about North going to Tasmania is you have a track record of playing in other venues solely for the money. And you let it be known you're doing as much.

Good luck to you in Hobart, but like I said you've got a lot of hard work ahead of you if you're going to make it work.

How about because we put in the hard yards? Hawthorn run clinics in the off season and every time they come down to play, do community work where ever possible and actively seek to promote its ties with Tasmania on the mainland. The Monday after the 2008 Premiership the Cup was presented in Tasmania.

I'm pretty sure any other club would have done the same thing. Nothing miraculous about that. It's called PR.

Unless North does the same you will wither and die. The reason people are skeptical about North going to Tasmania is you have a track record of playing in other venues solely for the money.

And you let it be known you're doing as much.

See, you're an intelligent person, but it's comments like this that insult my intelligence.

Hawthorn are playing in Tasmania solely for the money.

Any other reason is a delusion or a lie on your behalf.

Good luck to you in Hobart, but like I said you've got a lot of hard work ahead of you if you're going to make it work.

100% agree, but like I stated, it's not as if Hawthorn are turning water in to wine. The Hobart folk are going to rightfully expect their moneys worth.

Basically what youre saying is if you had a straight highway (which we do) going from Hobart to launceston it would take longer to drive north than it would south. Its logically flawed.

Not to menion all those that live down on the South-East coast (Sorrel, Cygnet, Dover, Port Arthur, Huonville).

You telling me that the average punter going to a game at Bellerieve can do the entire trip from the opposite end of the state in a time faster than coming from south to Aurora Stadium?

I don't think so. Bellerieve you bottleneck everywhere trying to get out from the Eastern Shore.

It's easier to get parking around Aurora stadium and a lot faster to get back on the Highway to go South/North West.

Simple. Then don't read it.

Thankfully, Your average North supporter is not quite as fatalistic as your average South supporter.

Hawthorn won 9 of their 10 premierships prior to 1992 and almost went out of existence in 1996.

Clearly, your thinking is very wrong on this count.
Well where is your support at games Brad, its pathetic to try and mask it.

Well where is your support at games Brad, its pathetic to try and mask it.

I am a 16 game platinum Schimma member in 2010. I have been a coterie member in seasons past.

My children, brothers, sister, nieces and nephews are also North members.

My grandfather played for the club and my families involvement at North goes back to before we were a VFL club.

Any other questions, or would you finally like to discuss the topic at hand?

I'm pretty sure any other club would have done the same thing. Nothing miraculous about that. It's called PR.
I'm not having a go Brad, but this is what a lot of posts have countered with when they discuss North's poor track record in the last 12 years at other venues.

If it was just a bit of PR, then Canberra and GC and Darwin would have made North money, gained them thousands of supporters and you would still be there.

The type of investment Hawthorn has made in the Tasmanian community goes far beyond mere PR and sponsorship. Yes, winning the 2008 GF made it easier, but 8,000 members in tasmania alone is a fabulous result.

How would North be with 8,000 more members?

So don't write off hawthorns hard work as 'mere PR' and "anyone could do it". Because your club has tried multiple times and failed miserably each time.

What would be 'miraculous' is, if North could do half as good as Hawthorn on their 4th attempt.

Well, someone down there is making loud noises so the money must be thereabouts somewhere.

Yeah.
I am just trying to hose down some of your supporters unrealistic expectations.

The Hawthorn deal works because of the State Government support.
The money won't be coming from there.

The three major councils are all significantly smaller than the Launceston City Council that has invested heavily in its own stadium over more than ten years. They may support Hobart games but won't be big investors, much as many club supporters don't buy memberships.

AFL Tasmania is virtually insolvent.
Cricket Tasmania is trying to find somebody else to pay for improvements to their headquarters.

Somebody will have to pay. I just can't see who.

The loud noises are coming from people who don't have the money...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it was just a bit of PR, then Canberra and GC and Darwin would have made North money, gained them thousands of supporters and you would still be there.

ACT and GC DID make us money.

ACT fell through because the dollars weren't on offer any longer.

GC fell through because they had an insidious agenda.

The exact same thing could happen to Hawthorn, but I wouldn't be lazy enough in my thinking to suggest that Hawthorn must therefore be at fault.

The ACT/North and GC/North relationships and not comparable to the Hawthorn/Tas relationship.

The type of investment Hawthorn has made in the Tasmanian community goes far beyond mere PR and sponsorship. Yes, winning the 2008 GF made it easier, but 8,000 members in tasmania alone is a fabulous result.

That is a tremendous result, but once again, walking on water was not involved.

You seem to believe that Hawthorn are the only club that will go an extra yard for 16 million dollars. I don't believe that for one second.

How would North be with 8,000 more members?

Safe and secure, just like Hawthorn.

So don't write off hawthorns hard work as 'mere PR' and "anyone could do it".

Yes, Hawthorn players at this very moment are handing out loaves and fishes to the starving folk of Launceston and running up huge debt in the process.

I've got some news for you mate, Hawthorn are following what is referred to as a "business plan" and all "business plans" are about making bucks.

Norths history of entrepreneurship is second to none.

Because your club has tried multiple times and failed miserably each time.

As I explained, ACT and GC were very different circumstances.

What would be 'miraculous' is, if North could do half as good as Hawthorn on their 4th attempt.

1st attempt champ, unless Hawthorn are considering relocating to the Gold Coast.

How will you cope if the Tassie Government pulls the dollars on Hawthorn?

I'll tell you how you'll cope, you won't be there.

Why is North pretty much pioneering new markets seen as a failure?

If North went and played 4 games in the USA every year and a few years later the US had a team, would you clowns be thankful for a world game or whinging like 12 year olds that they fail at finding a home. Think outside your square.
Someone has to grow the game to keep ahead of other sports and football is the winner.

It isn't the highway.
It is the poor access from the highway to the ground
It is the maze of tiny suburban streets that you get lost in...trying desperately to find a park.

When you do find a park you need a GPS to find the ground

Been once for cricket, never again.
Derwent Entertainment Centre no problem
Domain (Athletics, Swimming, Tennis) fine
Bellerive nuh. Melbourne is easier to get to.

Yeah.
I am just trying to hose down some of your supporters unrealistic expectations.

The Hawthorn deal works because of the State Government support.
The money won't be coming from there.

The three major councils are all significantly smaller than the Launceston City Council that has invested heavily in its own stadium over more than ten years. They may support Hobart games but won't be big investors, much as many club supporters don't buy memberships.

AFL Tasmania is virtually insolvent.
Cricket Tasmania is trying to find somebody else to pay for improvements to their headquarters.

Somebody will have to pay. I just can't see who.

The loud noises are coming from people who don't have the money...

We shall wait and see.

Personally, I place little value in your opinions as you seem to be too personally involved.

If it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen. I'll survive.

This was just a week ago.

http://www.examiner.com.au/news/local/sport/general/tigers-push-ahead-with-tassie-deal/1886364.aspx

North Melbourne, by contrast, is almost distancing itself from the notion given its sensitivity to even the slightest suggestion of relocation.
North chief executive Eugene Arocca said yesterday: ''We hear this chatter that's coming out of the AFL and around town. We haven't sat down with anyone. We are not chasing it. Unlike Richmond who are all over it like a rash.
''We have two non-negotiables: we're a Melbourne club and we ain't leaving Arden Street. It's as simple as that.''

A Rocca = massive w***er.

I don't think its been officially announced yet, has it? Therefore, technically he hasn't been proven saying anything wrong.

Is there any? Not sure if there is. The only real way to find out for sure is to suck it and see.

But I'd be prepared to take an educated guess based on the record attendance at Aurora, the 1200 or so members of the Hobart Richmond Tigers Supporter group, the 400 odd that attended a recent function held in Bernie, the decent little whack of RFC members with TAS listed in the state column........

Dunno what that has to do with North succeeding in that market though but you won't get close to what Hawthorn have achieved.

We should all doubt Brayshaw for the pathetic effort of bringing this up on the footy show to hide behind the Aker show.

Political assclown obviously with no idea what he's doing, and this venture would not hold up under scrutiny if Caro wasn't too busy rail roading Aker.

Where you train is irrelevant.

Its where you play

Canberra - burned them off.
Gold Coast - burned them off.
Hobart - fast running out of options so they better make this work. Not too many options after this - perhaps Geelong or Darwin?

And lets look at North's VFL history
Port Melbourne - burned them off
Now you have to split your list into two seperate VFL sides, one of them 2 hours up the road. Hardly ideal.

North Melbourne Bedouins. They just wander from town to town looking for a place to sleep.

Nothing but facts mate:thumbsu:

Re: Kangaroos all set for eight games in Hobart

No one wins cups without some type of fortress advantage.
How this will apply to the North and Tasmania given that they will only play 4 games there I'm not so convinced but the 'fortress' argument is a pretty good hypothesis.

There is little if any advantage in being a MCG or Eddiejad Stadium tenant these days.

Mate $4 million of that came from the SANFL, you know, the mob we (along with the Crows) bankroll?

The AFL gave us $1million. Wow. That's what you guys have been getting every 6 months from them for the past decade.

Anyrate, unless you relocate to Hobart, this is a cynical, revolting cash grab and to yet again prop up your unviable club. Again, although not about Port, if we were to find ourselves in your position for as long as you had, I would accept that we had no right nor reason to be in the comp, something that your deluded supporters continue to refute behind a mountain of excuses.

So in about 2 more years then?

Remove this Banner Ad

Kangaroos all set for four games in Hobart

Remove this Banner Ad

Back