Kangaroos all set for four games in Hobart

Remove this Banner Ad

Obviously edited after I quoted.

I agree. I don't believe North are culpable of generating this smoke.
But they are buying into it massively.

The club isn't, the supporter are, and that's highly understandable considering the media we have attracted in the last few years.

Apart from some individuals blog, there is absolutely no substance to North playing any games in Tasmania.

Cricket Tasmania and the Local Council are creating some rumours to try and generate interest.

The Tasmanian Govt. and AFL have distanced themselves from this in no uncertain terms. They have stated in the media that this is not emanating from them, and that Bellerive would require massive improvements that they are not funding.

Who the hell will pay a team to play there?

This is exactly like the White Knights saga. Because at the end of the day it just will not materialise. There is no substance.

I have posted numerous links to the Hobart Mercury and going by that I can dispell a few of your notions.

- Cricket Tasmania and the Hobart Councils are officially interested in the scheme.

- The AFL have also expressed interest.

- Very little is required to get Bellerive up to initial AFL readiness.

Go back through the thread and find the links.

IMO, it's all a matter of dollars now.

This is exactly like the White Knights saga. Because at the end of the day it just will not materialise. There is no substance.

Thats rubbish, one of the White Knights handed over about $2 million as the clubs payment towards the new facilities at Arden Street.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a con job Brayshaw has pulled on Roos fans.

I don't like this Tassie shit at all, but Brayshaw ALWAYS said we may need to sell some games interstate.

The fact is he's delivered the club back to member control, delivered Arden Street too.

As I said, I don't like this Tassie stuff one little bit but I will wait and see how the club plays it before making up my mind.

I don't like this Tassie shit at all, but Brayshaw ALWAYS said we may need to sell some games interstate.

The fact is he's delivered the club back to member control, delivered Arden Street too.

As I said, I don't like this Tassie stuff one little bit but I will wait and see how the club plays it before making up my mind.

May be wrong but did Eugene Rocca recently say that North were not looking into Tasmania?

May be wrong but did Eugene Rocca recently say that North were not looking into Tasmania?

Clearly no:
North chief executive Eugene Arocca said yesterday (July 14): ''We hear this chatter that's coming out of the AFL and around town. We haven't sat down with anyone. We are not chasing it. Unlike Richmond who are all over it like a rash.

''We have two non-negotiables: we're a Melbourne club and we ain't leaving Arden Street. It's as simple as that.''

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/tigers-push-ahead-with-tassie-deal-20100714-10b36.html

Its a delicate one. I actually emailed Eugene and received a reply that said words to the effect of we weren't actively seeking it but would consider offers.

It would appear an offer has been made and we have looked at it and accepted.

I don't like it at all, but technically, Arocca was correct.

Its a delicate one. I actually emailed Eugene and received a reply that said words to the effect of we weren't actively seeking it but would consider offers.

It would appear an offer has been made and we have looked at it and accepted.

I don't like it at all, but technically, Arocca was correct.

Splitting hairs, semantics and all that, but fair enough. Perhaps Eugene has missed his calling in politics? ;) I can understand why they would not want to discuss it openly considering recent history but on the other hand I have empathy for North fans that feel left out in the cold.

You seem a bit hesitant about the whole thing and I have to say I can see why. With such low revenue, if you latch onto the extra cash by playing in Tassie, it's going to be awfully difficult to every extract yourself unless significant gains are made in other areas.

Splitting hairs, but fair enough. I can understand why they would not want to discuss it openly considering recent history but on the other hand I have empathy for North fans that feel left out in the cold.

You seem a bit hesitant about the whole thing and I have to say I can see why. With such low revenue, if you latch onto the extra cash by playing in Tassie, it's going to be awfully difficult to every extract yourself unless significant gains are made in other areas.

I see two possibilities.

My main concern is the AFL are keen for us to be involved. To steal a line from The Thick Of It, now we are taking advice from our own rapist.

The Good Scenario:

Realising it has bitten off more than it can chew with GC and GWS, the AFL realises it needs to have its ducks in a financial row with the Melbourne clubs that provide the game's vital ongoing revenue.

It helps us set up this deal and does actually schedule games against the Freos and GCs and so on down there. It does help us maintain the sceptical Melbourne membership by giving us replacement games, a few Friday nighters against Essendon/Collingwood etc. In a few years time, we've significantly reduced our debt, we've built a second home in Tassie and the Melbourne mebership and attendances are rising.

The Bad And Far More Likely Scenario:

Having lured us into the bedroom at the party, the AFL locks the door and turns nasty, pulling a knife. It has been said to me by someone who is well placed to know that the AFL are increasingly concerned about Hawthorn 'owning' the Tassie market. The AFL doesn't like this.

So my fear is that with us agreeing to four games, the AFL continues to screw us slowly in Melbourne, scheduling a draw that continues to see low attendances, stagnating or falling membership, thus increasing the pressure and reliance on Tassie.

Then, the AFL turns the screw on Hawthorn. Their deal is not as secure as they may think. There is government support for it NOW.

I find it tremendously ironic that a club led by a man who suffered a surprise election defeat in 99 continues to think that government will act predictably in perpetuity.

In say four years, having bled us dry, the AFL goes to the Tassie Govt of the day and says, look, we'll take that spend off your hands, you can invest in incest counselling services or something. We'll guarantee four/five games at Launceston, that will still, it just won't be BHawthorn, even better, it will be the Tassie Kangaroos.

So the AFL thyen says to Hawthorn, bad luck chaps, Tassie fun is over. But you've got these 50k members you keep telling us about and all this money, you'll be fine right? Right?

Then we see the Tassie Kangaroos playing half their home games in Hobart and half in Launceston. That way the AFL can say that it has a Tassie team that represents the whole state. And one less Melbourne team.

Anyone, especially Hawthorn fans who thinks that is implausible should recall recent AFL history.

They broke a deal with you over moving from Waverley, nakedly shafted you. They'd do it to you over Tassie in a flash if they thought it was for their advantage.

I dont like it. Same shit, different state. Why cant we just slowly build our brand in Melbourne?

I'd like it more if Tasmania wasnt the next state earmarked for expansion. I'd rather we play in Darwin or regional Victoria, so there's no chance for the relocation perceptions to refocus on us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Kangaroos all set for four games in Hobart

Remove this Banner Ad

Back