Kangaroos or North Melbourne...

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 3, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Just noticed something weird...

did a white page web search for the Kangaroos Football Club... and only got a match for some club I had never heard of... then did a search using North Melbourne Fotball Club... hey presto... up came our footy club...

is this a diliberate change of direction by our club... or just our marketing department stuffing up???

I know this has been discussed plenty of times in this forum, but I'll say it again: The minute we change the name back to North Melbourne (not to say that'll ever happen), we will get more members. I am convinced some have not resigned for that reason.

I think everyone I have spoken to prefer North Melbourne

Originally posted by shintemaster
Could be wrong, but my guess would be that because North Melbourne Football Club is the trading name... it shows up in the White Pages as such...

In that case, I'd say most business would have a listing under both names.

I do get the feeling though, that since Greg Miller left the club, the "don't call us North Melbourne, we are the Kangaroos" approach went with him.

Perhaps the club has had some feedback over the last few years (either asking for opinions or having a look at forums such as this one), and taken into account the poor Sydney crowds, and found a more comfortable niche as a Melbourne club that plays a couple of games a year in Canberra.

agree Vlad

NORTH MELBOURNE

NORTH MELBOURNE

NORTH MELBOURNE

one only has to attend a game live to hear the chants from the supporters.

Again I will say,
Please Fix the song played over the loud speakers at games!
It sounds silly and its hard to sing because of the collision b/w NM & Kang.

Car'n North

Originally posted by hundini
Again I will say,

Car'n North

Couldn't agree more! The new song is awful, the rhythm is all wrong!

North Melbourne!

Originally posted by hundini

Car'n North

I agree.

I like both North Melbourne and the Kangaroos. Can remember back in 1954, my mother getting a bag of kangaroos pins made when we became the Kangaroos. We seemed to manage very well being both North and the Roos for a long time - it was when we tried to hide the North Melbourne bit things came unstuck. It seems we tried to force the Kangaroo name where it just didn't work. We don't see Adelaide tripping over the Crows, Sydney over the Swans, Richmond over the Tigers - why do we insist on doing so at NM/Roos? If we use a bit of common sense, we can wear both names proudly. But have to say the Kangaroo version of the song just doesn't cut the mustard - that's one place we need to be North Melbourne.

I thought the club was still officially the North Melbourne football club.
I did a search at the ASIC and it seems that the club never officially changed its name. It’s still listed as 'North Melbourne Football club Limited'
I think that they only ever changed the name that is listed in official AFL publications and asked the media to follow suite.
North Melbourne still exists and we all know it’s a better name!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I never use the term Kangaroos. There are too many other sporting clubs also known as Kangaroos.
It has always been North Melbourne to me and it always will.

i hate the name kangaroos and the song they play at the game is awful. wheneva ppl say kangaroos i correct them and tell them its north melbourne. were not talkin about skippy were talkin about a footy club :mad:

Yay! It is great to read that so many of you prefer the name, NORTH MELBOURNE! As you can gather, I also prefer to call the club by its correct name - the NORTH MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB. If they want to call the team 'The Kangaroos' occasionally, then that's fine by me, because we are the Kangaroos - BUT the CLUB'S name is NOT the 'Kangaroos Football Club'.

And I absolutely DETEST the new version of the song. I have written many letters to the club over the past few years about the song, asking (even begging!) them to change it back to the old version but I always get the standard reply; that it has been changed for marketing purposes and to attract new supporters.

Yes, it has been said before, but I think we need to keep making our feelings known on this matter - the crowd and the cheer squad always chant 'North Melbourne', the players say 'North Melbourne' (even the younger ones) and the players also rightfully sing the North Melbourne version of the song. Reinstate the old song NOW! If they want to keep the 'Kangaroos' version for interstate, then fine, but play the 'North Melbourne' version in Melbourne. Simple!

(I hope the person who works for the club and who posts on here occasionally is reading this thread and can make our feelings known to the board. Is it KangaroosMedia???)

North Melbourne Kangaroos- that should be our official name.

We are Not the Kangaroos- we are NORTH MELBOURNE.

Old Name, Old Song.

Go Roos
(I know I call them the Roos when signing, but they are still North)

Reflecting on the replies in this thread, it seems the key issue is the club song. If we can simply go back to the old version, the other issues will largely sort themselves out.

Comments?

If the club was to find the will and guts to revert back to the old club song, then I don't see why they can't change the name back to North Melbourne.
It is all about guts IMO. Everyone knows that the Kangaroos football club isn't a genuine club name and it doesn't do anything positive to our image (IMHO). In fact it adds that nomadic homeless feel to it. I think the only reason I see why anyone would want to stick with the Kangaroos football club is if they had a possible future relocation in mind. I sincerely hope this isn't the case.

Had a quick chat to Doc Aylett about this very issue last night.

It was at the very end of the shindig and i was half way through the innings by this stage and well on the way to autism, so i wasn't in the greatest of listening form, but from what i gathered, the club still has big plans for the Kangaroos brand name stuff they're always sprouting on about, and hence would remain as our trading name.

He did concede the theme song sounded clumsy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Kangaroos or North Melbourne...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back