Autopsy North vs Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

X was good without being dominant.
Kerch tried hard.

Don’t think anyone else had a good day.
Archer kept Weightman to 2 goals which is as good as any effort since he’s played us.

First quarter we dominated early play and all of their 5 goals came from our turnovers.

Bevo then moved to a zone defence and with Chom out, Larkey hobbling, etc there was no one to kick to and that was the easiest 3 quarters of footy the Dogs will play.

The list has a long way to go and I just wonder how long will we continue to turn it over and churn players in and out and finish bottom 2. Can’t be axing 10+ off the list and expect improvement.

5 years. 5 years of bottom 2.

That’s just not right.

Between 2008 and 2015, the Dees finished 16th or 17th five times too

Literally did an Ultra Marathon before going to the game and my pain gradually increased after Comben got subbed for concussion. If this team needs more picks to be good and tanks wooden spoon once again to just get 3-5 wins next season.

Just please set up for us North Fans a big funeral.

Same poster. What's the deal with him?

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

One of many, many posters I traumatised with my forthright and direct posting style back in the day, likely because they mentioned the Gold Coast stuff.

See also - the entire Sydney board.

I will call it right now - Bulldogs will NOT play finals. That would be a shock to their supporters, but bookmark it.
I reckon GWS will roll them in Ballarat. And Freo will beat Port.
I hope you are right with the prediction but Bevo looked as sober as I've seen him when they cut to the box on Sunday and that has me worried.

My concerns here really go a bit deeper than just what we saw yesterday.

People keep saying that we need to play the kids, we have all of these top draft picks playing in the seconds, etc..

However I have been watching a lot of VFL this season, just to see if there is anyone coming through that may provide a semblance of hope, and I really don't see where it is going to come from.

On exposed form:
-I don't think Hardeman will get there, I haven't seen any of the run and carry or ball use that we thought he'd bring
-Payne hasn't got near it since being drafted
-Lazarro tries hard but I think we all know he just doesn't quite have it to make it at AFL level.
-Same with Phillips. In fact he was poor on Saturday when he really should be tearing it up against lower players.
-Greenwood will retire
-Taylor & Sleevo are cats (and I can add Stephens to that list as well)
-CCJ - does any more need to be said
-Biggie, I think we all agree on his ability at AFL level
-We ruined Sellars
-I still have hopes for Harvey but in reality think he also won't make it.
-Free will be delisted
-Goad is scared to go near a contest (yes I know it is early but he is a loooong way off)

From a semi positive perspective
-Goater and George - should be playing AFL based on reputation; however with their serious injuries who would really know if they will get back to the top level?
-Maley - Looks like a prospect but still sooo raw
-Duursma - yes, if his head is in the right space at Nth
-W Dawson hopefully will get there
-Drury - probably the only one who stood out on Saturday, unfortunately though he is similar to Lazz in just missing a yard of pace and is probably a bit short..

So out of that list of 19 players I would say conservatively 13 or 68% are list cloggers. Not a great drafting success rate...

And on top of that we seem to be continually drafting light bodied players. Sleevo, Taylor, Payne, Biggie, Bergman, Goad, Hardeman, Ford, RHJ... it is no wonder we constantly get bullied by most opposition teams

It's no wonder we are where we are, and not sure how we really improve without a lot more pain.
Hi Wayne, agree with most of the above. Given we won't/can't delist 13 in one year, I suspect that we will keep Hardeman ,Payne, Goad, Goater, George, Maley, Drury, W Dawson, Drury, which still leaves 10 which is still on the high side.
We desperately need three experienced leader types and these won't come from the draft, but getting them to North is going to be a challenge. The next few months will be interesting.

That's not what he said though is it. He said bottom two of the ladder, not specifically 16th or 17th. Ever since 2011 16th place has not equated to bottom two of the ladder.

So in that period of time the Godees were bottom two four times in total. 2008, 2009, 2013, 2014. Four times but never more than two years in a row.

That also conveniently leaves out that in the 3 year gap they had 20 wins. So while that ultimately turned out to be a false dawn for them, that level of performance was still at such lofty heights we can currently only dream of.

There's really no sugarcoating just how god awful we have been this decade because it is without comparison.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi Wayne, agree with most of the above. Given we won't/can't delist 13 in one year, I suspect that we will keep Hardeman ,Payne, Goad, Goater, George, Maley, Drury, W Dawson, Drury, which still leaves 10 which is still on the high side.
We desperately need three experienced leader types and these won't come from the draft, but getting them to North is going to be a challenge. The next few months will be interesting.
3 experienced leaders to come to North and there ok with McDonald being Captain Round 1 and beyond in the AFL as we all know that he will be captain

3 experienced leaders to come to North and there ok with McDonald being Captain Round 1 and beyond in the AFL as we all know that he will be captain
If North is to climb the ladder in 2025, neither McDonald or Simpkin can be captain nor should be regular players.

Okay that was flipping painful.

Our midfield mix was horrible.

Powell as the sweeper just not good enough. He allowed one bloke to exit the front of the stoppage more times than not which just should not be happening at AFL level. His stoppage craft just isn't there and time and time again his man burnt us. They seemed to rotate that role, but Jy and George playing it managed to force them to exit the side more often than not, unless they were 3 on 1. This is going to show us up time and time again when we play against sides with strong contested markers in their forward half.

I want Powell in that half back distributor role, or he needs to work towards a wing.

Jy was good defensively when he was sweeping but was simply not good enough at the other aspect of that role - quarterbacking the back of the stoppage.

Now how did they get 3 on 1? LDU wasn't really helping his mates in this regard and didn't really try to half that many stoppages when they looked like not going out way.

Treloar and Bont burnt George on fitness every chance they got. Simply not good enough in that respect, and it's a known quantity but he does struggle around the ground. How best we use him in the midfield mix going forward will be interesting because his intensity when near the ball is top notch.

Man we need Harry back. He seriously papers over so many cracks in that crew.

There’s brave and there is stupid. I’m with you and leaning towards stupid.

Flying for contests you can’t impact and hurting yourself constantly is a good way to end a career very quickly.
Spot on… there is a tipping point.
It’s all well and good to be brave. But your no good to the team, if your missing the next 2 games with concussion

1724070867751.png
So, this is after the Dogs came out breathing fire in the 2nd. Red time is on, We get a clearance from Wardlaw and he hits up Ford lace out.

Ford looks ahead and see this shit. How can there be more Dogs players in their back 50 than North? Where are our numbers? Match them up! Get 1v1s and pull them away from the space being clogged up. Look far left side of the ground, NO ONE leads there and the ball goes to a contest with like five North players and none get a finger to it. Why do they all go to the one spot? That literally makes it so easy for the Dogs to clear. They just need to spread from the contest after it's intercepted.

Shit work rate. Lazy.

We make things so difficult for ourselves because we flat out refuse to work when we have possession and then do the usual 'woe is me' chasing tail to get the ball back.

We are such a braindead team offensively.

Ford had to go into the corridor just outside the 50 so that our forwards could spread across and get a lead on their opponent.

Stop kicking to a contest and increase the likelihood of a shot on goal.

They were bad.
Just not as bad as us who have done it back to back to back to back to back.

The Oliver/Petracca draft built their flag side.

Sheezel and Wardlaw hopefully the same for us.

It’s just the free agents they got in through May and Lever.

We can’t continue to build through the draft as Clarko said and expect to get results. The time to land some names is now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy North vs Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back