KDFL - 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope...but am in a league that develops kids . Are you??
I'd like to think we are doing our best at developing our kids but with a shortage of kids in our town and the fact that our league dosen't have an u/14 or u/15 is making the task even harder for our club. We have auskick and u/18's but the gap in between is rather large hence in this period they venture elsewhere in which most cases they don't return..Our local kids in this period went to either Euroa or the Benalla junior comps where they form friendships and bonds making it hard for our club to convince them to return.

Your going a bit hard on grasskat.. Obviously you've been proven correct now that durward leaving has transpired, but at the time, grasskat was pretty much compelled to back up the club, and he probably wouldn't have been aware of all the 'murmurings' you were alluding to.

Anyway, hopefully Murch can regroup but I tend to agree with fuzzy swan and their chances of making the top 3 are now severely inhibited. There's been some really interesting talking points on here this season and of the few forums I read this forum would have the most consistent and productive posters.

Keen to hear Joe mama and Earl hickey's game reviews; can anyone beat VT Earl and can Murch regroup Joe..?

As soon as Terry got hurt again (Damn shame because he looked pretty good in the twos and would've got back into the 1sts if he hadn't got hurt), it was always on the cards. Yes, it's a blow, and it makes making the finals that much more difficult, but footy has a funny habit of surprizing us, so I'm holding out for a big upset against a very talented Nagambie side.

But as far as this is harbinger of things to come, one less player does not a crisis make.

Avenel vs. VIOLET TOWN. The Swans should put in a good effort in front of thier old supporters against the blokes up the highway, but I think the Towners should beat Avenel by over 10 goals (I heard that the Swans might get a 3rds side going for the rest of the season, is that true ?, because that would be better than a win Saturday :thumbsu:)

Girgarre vs. LANCASTER. The Wombats will eat, root and leave Girgarre with a 100 point plus win:D.

STANHOPE vs. Merrigum. Stanhope will win this game but Merrigum have some good players in Church, Stammers and Pell, and should make a good account of themselves, but not enough to get close to another win, Stanhope to win by over 7 goals.

Longwood vs TALLGAROOPNA Tally had the classic 8 point win last week, and thankfully for them they don't have a tough game this week after suffering a few injuries against Murchison at home. Longwood have had a tough draw, and I don't think this game will be much better for the 'Legs. Tally to win by 79 points.

Murchison vs. NAGAMBIE As much as I would like to pick Murch to win after what's happened this week, Nagambie will simply overwhelm Murchison and run out comfortable winners by 5-6 goals.

RUSHWORTH vs. Undera. A hard game to pick, but I'm only going for the Tigers only because it's at home, but it'll only be a 2 goal game.

ARDMONA have the bye

Thats all you can say kat?? I know people who have said reeves is nothing but a two faced back stabbing person and his off sider with red hair is the same! Murch only have them selves to blame by not doing there homework and looking deep into what the person/persons personality or credibility is and only listening to what they wanted to hear:thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

I don't know his offsider but I do know of the main man and he will only take the club down. But at least he created a bit of interest for a few rounds. So long.......................................................

Avenel vs. VIOLET TOWN - The Swans will face the Towner boys in front of a big crowd at home hoping to give a good account of themselves. Violet Town to get up by 70 points.

Girgarre vs. LANCASTER - The Wombats to have to much run and carry for the Girgarre boys, however, I think it will be closer than last week against Avenel. Lancaster by 85 points.

STANHOPE vs. Merrigum - This will be first time Merrigum go into a game with Stanhope with a realistic chance of winning for a long time. Having said that, I still think Stanhope will win by about 35 points unless everything comes together for Merrigum on Saturday.

Longwood vs. TALLYGAROOPNA - Tallygaroopna to inflict another heavy defeat on their fellow Redlegs by 120 points.

Murchison vs. NAGAMBIE - With the turmoil at Murchison this week they'll be hard-pressed to beat a Nagambie side that is looking like a genuine contender. Nagambie by 27 points.

RUSHWORTH vs. Undera - The Tigers to win by 40 points for mine.

Ardmona to get up over the bye. :cool:

[YOUTUBE]qXatqcigUFw[/YOUTUBE]

Keen to hear Joe mama and Earl hickey's game reviews; can anyone beat VT Earl and can Murch regroup Joe..?

Think VT will be very hard to beat this season, Will be a good contest between them and Lanky again!.

Stanhope probably had 3 players out from our best 22 and we were blown out of the water. 44 points down at quarter time, made it a tough day for the boys. As hard as we tried VT were just too strong in every aspect, harder at the footy, players were willing to run, very good forward line and a great midfield.

When they are up and running they will be very hard to stop. We struggled to get the ball inside 50, which was proven in the 3rd quarter when we were kept goalless.

But having said that we still had 23 scoring shots (compared to their 51).

Overall VT are just too strong around the ground, they don't seem to have any weaknesses that stand out at the moment, but anything can happen on any given day and if a side happens to expose that who knows what can happen.

After playing Lanky and VT in the previous two weeks, I see VT a fair way ahead of the pack, and they should rightly be premierships favourites.

Not looking forward to seeing what they do to Ardmona.

I'd like to think we are doing our best at developing our kids but with a shortage of kids in our town and the fact that our league dosen't have an u/14 or u/15 is making the task even harder for our club. We have auskick and u/18's but the gap in between is rather large hence in this period they venture elsewhere in which most cases they don't return..Our local kids in this period went to either Euroa or the Benalla junior comps where they form friendships and bonds making it hard for our club to convince them to return.
Can understand that would be a huge issue, what is the reason for the league not wanting under 14's/15's, or is it a case that it simply hasn't been raised ?

As for the ills of junior footy, there is not enough space here for me to download my thesis so instead in a nutshell:

Lazy Parents. Two categories, those who will not make their kids play some kind of sport and those who won't cart them around.

The TAC Pathway. This system rewards two types of people. Former elite players generating a living wage by doing a job that volunteers do at club level every week (please refrain from commenting on the cost of professionalism etc, these coaches have paid recruiters, paper shufflers, magnet movers etc) and the other group are those players whose genetics peaked early. Many TAC players leave the game after failing to realise their dream ad a good deal of those are from country areas.

Dumb Coaches. Ooops did i say that. Wake up boys, underage footy is just that. It is preparation for the benefit of the future of clubs and the game. Coaches (and clubs) that place an emphasis on underage flags at the cost of establishing the skills of still growing players, those who do not enforce a culture of self discipline, those who do not look beyond the flashy players are a blight on the game.

The AFL. Again not enough time or space. It's all about bums on seats. I nearly choked when I read that Euroa is happy with a $2000 gate in the Shepparton News. $2000 for a GVFL gate, there are KDFL clubs that generate that amount and the entry price is $2 less. What happens to the AFL when the bums aren't on the seats at the VCFL level?

Lazy Parents. Two categories, those who will not make their kids play some kind of sport and those who won't cart them around.

Agree with most you said, interesting parenting though, not sure who benefits when kids get made to play sport by their parents!

Interesting stuff woody, how do I get a hold of your thesis & have the AFL read it..? Couldn't agree more on most points, I think the tac needs to be revamped, or at least expanded to u21 or u23 (best 18yr olds would still get drafted), but like you could go on John carrot like about it. Not much can be done about parents who don't have an appreciation for sport; most of their angst I'm sure is brought about by the underage coaches you mention.. If they've had bad experiences why would they want their kids to play??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting stuff woody, how do I get a hold of your thesis & have the AFL read it..? Couldn't agree more on most points, I think the tac needs to be revamped, or at least expanded to u21 or u23 (best 18yr olds would still get drafted), but like you could go on John carrot like about it. Not much can be done about parents who don't have an appreciation for sport; most of their angst I'm sure is brought about by the underage coaches you mention.. If they've had bad experiences why would they want their kids to play??

Hey Tav ..Are you intimating that Woody might be taking the lord JC's word in vain?;)
In the nineties, when my bloke came through the Wangaratta Junior League of .. would you believe .. at 1 January, Under 13 1/2s, Under 15 1/2s and Under 17 1/2s, I put my hand up to be Secretary/Treasurer of my lad’s Club and quickly realised that that 80 year old SATURDAY junior competition was simply a breeding ground for the elite to go onto Wang Rovers or Wang Magpies O&MFL Under 18’s. That was the reason for the age structure where players with beards were driving to after-bloody-noon games of JUNIOR football once they went from “Under 17 ½ “ to 18 years after 1 January!!
The non-elite, including my son and mate who was a gangly 6 foot 7 at 16 years old were just taken off after one quarter to be replaced by the elite Under 15 1/2s after they had had their 4 quarters of “junior development footy”!
The Under 17 1/2 game started on Saturday arvo and by the time we workers wound things up at 4.30 pm there was no way players or workers could get to see any senior footy .. let alone travel to nearby O&KFL Footy.
As well, the 4WDee’s would pull up to watch the Under 13 1/2s, next shift Under 15 1/2s .. but “Nah sorry.. can’t goal umpire mate ‘cos I like listening to the Couldabeens”. The 4WDee set dropping off the under 17 ½ s for the 1.30 pm Saturday start didn’t have that problem. “We’re off to watch the local Derby Rovers and Magpies – look after my son please.” Pharwkin’ puissants!!
Needless to say we were out to thirds level in the King Valley half-way through that last 17 1/2s season.
Next year, 2002, a new committee man of the junior Club was a journalist at the Wangaratta Chronicle and listened to my story of disappointment .. not a baitch session .. even tho’ I had left the WJFL scene. He supported my ideas and published basically the above on the back page of the paper as my letter to the editor. I lost a lot of footy mates in Wang exposing the junior league as an elite breeding ground giving ziltch to the O&K.
By, I think 04, the Wang Junior League became Under 14 and Under 16 only, played on Sunday to allow all to enjoy Saturday footy and at end season the elite went to Under 18 major league while other players over 16 were to directed to a choice of the O&K thirds they wished to play for.
Lately, news from up there seems to say that the flap has fallen out of the long johns!!!
Meantime in (either ’05 or ’06) the AFL decreed that Junior Football Leagues will not go beyond Under 16 ..’cepting the Benalla Junior League (70 years breeding for the Saints and All Blacks) being given a dispensation due to longevity .. And to stop the then Benalla & District Football League trying to survive with a thirds level !!!
Cheers John Carrot:thumbsu:
Ps. I like to restate this as although me mate Slim18 agrees mostly .. he arcs up when I say that bit about the Saints and Blacks .. Cheers Slimbo!:thumbsu::thumbsu:

I can't fault Tav, JC; he knows it, plays it and bleeds it and wants to see a future at all levels.

Not often that a draw should receive accolades but what Patto has done is worth noting. He's probably dark that inaccurate kicking might seen a better result. Hard work, intelligence and belief almost pulled off the upset of the round!

Well, I'll say it... Gigarre drawing with Lancaster is the most surprising result I have seen during my time in the KDL. Having witnessed the two play in the previous two weeks against Avenel, I was genuinely expecting a win in the vicinity of 100 points. Not like it was a wet day or Lancaster kicked terribly either. Huge congratulations are in order for the Roos, and again gives a good indication of how most teams in the comp have improved this year.

Avenel played Violet Town on what was a big day for the club, with Avenel football royalty in attendence (Shelton, Aldous, Henderson, Corkran...). Avenel battled manfully all day but Violet Towns quality and fitness really showed out in the end. Whelan in particular caused huge troubles for Avenel. The scoreboard probably wasn't a real reflection of the closeness of the game, with VT kicking about four goals in the last five minutes of the game. It was a very intense game, and it was good to see that we can be with the top sides. I thought that Arandt, Hatelely and Green were very good, and Lowis did a great job on Lamaro. For VT, the big guns were all very good.

Also interesting to note Nagambie's form. Having rolled undera, Murch and Rushy they must be considered at least in the top three, but I'm interested to hear the thoughts of the Murch boys. How do they compare to VT?

Have just seen Charmicheal Hunt being pumped up for his 16 touches. Must be a proud moment for Demetrio given the 400 plus AFL raised kids overlooked since he was signed.
Good comment Woody! I still don't know if his first name starts with a C or a K .. or if he plays for the GC T'Abletts or the Greater Western Dubbo Zoo? But I thank you for getting Hunt's initials in the right order. Or is that Andrew Demonistoiro .. we should be careful about name pronunciation? ..eh? Cheers John Carrot

Well, I'll say it... Gigarre drawing with Lancaster is the most surprising result I have seen during my time in the KDL. Having witnessed the two play in the previous two weeks against Avenel, I was genuinely expecting a win in the vicinity of 100 points. Not like it was a wet day or Lancaster kicked terribly either. Huge congratulations are in order for the Roos, and again gives a good indication of how most teams in the comp have improved this year.

Avenel played Violet Town on what was a big day for the club, with Avenel football royalty in attendence (Shelton, Aldous, Henderson, Corkran...). Avenel battled manfully all day but Violet Towns quality and fitness really showed out in the end. Whelan in particular caused huge troubles for Avenel. The scoreboard probably wasn't a real reflection of the closeness of the game, with VT kicking about four goals in the last five minutes of the game. It was a very intense game, and it was good to see that we can be with the top sides. I thought that Arandt, Hatelely and Green were very good, and Lowis did a great job on Lamaro. For VT, the big guns were all very good.

Also interesting to note Nagambie's form. Having rolled undera, Murch and Rushy they must be considered at least in the top three, but I'm interested to hear the thoughts of the Murch boys. How do they compare to VT?

Hey Fuzz
Great report mate.
I played thirds for Avenel-Longwood from 1965. Got word of mouth to come down to Avenel for the “back to” night but I’m still with Longwood after 42 years from 1970 when we got the Redlegs back in action. Plus I am too old to party after the Redlegs game on Satd’y!
As an 8 year old mascot in the late fifties I can remember Bluey Shelton and John Hendo playing their first seasons in the old Redlegs strip while we had been Avenel-Longwood since 1956. We played as B Grade at Longwood at 2.00 pm while Avenel played as A grade at Avenel at the same time. The Waranga North East League took footy away from Longwood town to be seconds footy from 12 noon at Avenel from 1960.
Bluey is a family friend and with no footy at Redlegs Stadium, my Dad Frank; in the nineteen sixties, made sure we went to all 9 home games (out of 18) as members of Windy Hill. Especially in the Southern Stand in 1965 at the Gee watching Bluey, number 10 at centre half-back, be a premiership player for the Bombers over the Saints.
3 years later Bluey buggrad an eye on the farm. But he upset locals by coming back to coach Seymour!!
That year, 1968 .. I was 20th man at 17 in my first senior game for the Swans against Seymour. 19th and 20th are called substitutes nowadays .. no such thing as interchange then. With 15 minutes to go our second (Avenel-Longwood) injury meant that I had a chance for my 15 minutes of fame!
I ran onto the half forward line on the Avenel ground, with Bluey playing centre half-back for Seymour. I had the ball in my sight and next thing I’m in pain on the ground about 5 yards away as I see foggy vision of Shelton kicking Seymour forward!!
But by the time I got back on my feet .. Bluey came running back and with that beaut grin, ruffled my hair and said, “Sorry Carrot”!!
One last story is that a big bloke from Longwood with shoulders three pick axes wide played ruck in the sixties .. no not Max Cox.
Corky .. Peter Corcoran realised that the ruckman was a gentle giant who wouldn’t use his strength at the footy. Corky said to me I’ll fix this. At centre bounces, Corcoran, as a centre man would smack his own ruckman in the ear and claim it was ..”that little buggra Mick Peel from Euroa”. The gentle giant became a raging machine!! Ask Corky .. he will verify it! Even Toot Lewis!!
Hope the “back to” was fantastic and look forward to you guys coming to Redlegs Stadium in about 4-5 weeks.
Cheers
John Carrot:thumbsu::thumbsu:

Cheers JC, thanks for that. It was a big night at the rooms and the old boys certainly didn't mind letting us know about how good they were back in the day. Mind you, given some of their records they might actually be telling the truth, it's been a while since Avenel has had two players wearing the Big V simultaneously... There's a bunch of pictures from the game and the night on the Avenel Swans facebook group.

Just on Max Cox, whilst he may not be the biggest name to ever have played for the club, I'm fairly certain that the general consensus is that he has the best name.

Greg Watson was hoping to have squad out to each club either tonight or tomorrow so hopefully we will know soon.

From Stanhope I know Brad Lowe has made himself available, Ty Guiney would have been another player I would have thought would make an appearance in the squad but unfortunately went down with a shoulder injury on Saturday.

Will VT's big names be available for selection?

Greg Watson was hoping to have squad out to each club either tonight or tomorrow so hopefully we will know soon.

From Stanhope I know Brad Lowe has made himself available, Ty Guiney would have been another player I would have thought would make an appearance in the squad but unfortunately went down with a shoulder injury on Saturday.

Will VT's big names be available for selection?
Jake Williams is still on the injury list so doubt he will play,Russell Lee is looking for a rest so not sure with him but all the others should be ok to play..Pat Horsburgh may not be able to as he lives in Narrandera would be too far for him to travell for training but he would still be keen..

Ardmona - Brent Ralph
Avenel - Paul Arandt, Grant Hateley, Andrew Green
Girgarre - Corey Wheeler
Lancaster - Steve Thompson, MIchael Hill, Jamie Daff, Heath Barnett, Adrian Meka
Merrigum - Josh Pell, Geoff Connally
Murchison - James Milne, Justin Williams, Shane Kay
Nagambie - Michael Shiels, Ben Hutton
Rushworth - Darcy Pogue, Jake Perry
Stanhope - Brad Lowe, Ty Guiney, James Fraser
Tally - Dylan Kerr, Brent Arho
Undera - Daniel Godsmark, Sam LaPorta, Daniel Breen, Danni Heazlewood
VT - Hayden Lamaro, Russell Lee, Jay Pearson, Chris McKay, Jake Williams, Pat Horsburgh, Daniel Sage.

Is that the official squad Earl? Surprised not see a few more names from Nagambie and Rushworth.

Also thought that Whelan would have warranted a spot, I assume he declared himself unavailable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back