kdfl sept 07-jan 08

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Kyabram District FL

Oxxy - Name one KDL club that would make the five in the MFL. I don't think you would find one. The KDL gets the crap belted out of it by the Picola League, so i think the MFL is more than a "bit better standard".
On Stanhope players not wanting to make the next move to a higher standard - i don't think it should automatically be assumed that good players have to take the next step. It is not as if they are budding AFL players. If they are happy where they are, good on them. There is, i suggest, a hell of a lot more loyalty shown by Stanhope players to their club than any other club around here.

Very good point old mate 41, and the majority play for peanuts.

Oxxy - Name one KDL club that would make the five in the MFL. I don't think you would find one. The KDL gets the crap belted out of it by the Picola League, so i think the MFL is more than a "bit better standard".
On Stanhope players not wanting to make the next move to a higher standard - i don't think it should automatically be assumed that good players have to take the next step. It is not as if they are budding AFL players. If they are happy where they are, good on them. There is, i suggest, a hell of a lot more loyalty shown by Stanhope players to their club than any other club around here.

i think little oxxy is a little tired from all the walking he has been doing lately. i believe he was just trying to say that MFL isn't quite as good as the GVFL in Major League terms. As hank has stated it is a major league and its standard is continuely growing.
On the loyalty of the stanhope players, 41 and mainland are spot on! times are changing where players just want to play at a club with all their mates and a good culture, which stanhope obiviously has. you can't say ky hasn't tried to lure the better players to the GV but they just can't leave the "mainland" due to on the field and off the field success. and thats my two cents.:thumbsu:

I wouldn't exactly call the murray league a 'major league'. yes it's a bit better standard than the KDL, but not by much. the GVL is the only 'major league' round these parts.

and another thing, it's probably not that they don't like tongala, it's that they were chasing premierships at stanhope would be closer to the reason why many stayed with the premiers over the last couple of years.

is hayden best from tally going to shepp swans next year?
isn't that 1/2 the reason why you play sport to win and be the best team alex

Some very good points made regarding the Mainland boys and loyalty. I think the club attracts genuinely good blokes, and they just so happen to be decent players too. Expect the Mainland to be up there for many years to come.

Some very good points made regarding the Mainland boys and loyalty. I think the club attracts genuinely good blokes, and they just so happen to be decent players too. Expect the Mainland to be up there for many years to come.

come on ringa ding ding, break that loyalty of yours...:D

Agree king, there is some good points made but surely there comes a time when you have got to test yourself out a little bit. dont get me wrong, winning every week would be fantastic, but dont you eventually say to yourself, maybe its time to see how good i really am. i think sidebottom is a good case. brilliant player in the kdl, but some doubted how good he would be at the next level. he has now showed that he is a great player and good on him have having a crack at it.

Agree king, there is some good points made but surely there comes a time when you have got to test yourself out a little bit. dont get me wrong, winning every week would be fantastic, but dont you eventually say to yourself, maybe its time to see how good i really am. i think sidebottom is a good case. brilliant player in the kdl, but some doubted how good he would be at the next level. he has now showed that he is a great player and good on him have having a crack at it.

Your right sly pup the thought has been there to have a go, I'm not saying that I'm going to play every game of my career for the mainland. But for me personally I have thought about having a go at a higher level but mates came first then the premiership now its the lure of back to back. I've got a few years of footy ahead of me so I think to possibility of having a go at a higher standard will definitely be on the cards.

Your right sly pup the thought has been there to have a go, I'm not saying that I'm going to play every game of my career for the mainland. But for me personally I have thought about having a go at a higher level but mates came first then the premiership now its the lure of back to back. I've got a few years of footy ahead of me so I think to possibility of having a go at a higher standard will definitely be on the cards.

I have been reading with interest all this debate and as far as the Murray league goes Nathalia have been brilliant there have been a block of 2 or 3 good sides behind them in recent years and behind that they other sides have been that far off the others that if they are any better than the leading sides of the Kyabram League it wouldn't be by a bees d...
I actually think Rushy might have bowled Tonny over in the Praccy last year.

As far as guys testing themselves there has been 13 and 12 sides now in the comp so the test is to be best in that big field a great achievement by who ever ends up winning it. It seems that the people on here squarking would have ulterior motives to try and get these guys to there club or want to see them out of the league.

Football for most is about competition and enjoyment both of which are easily found at District league level.

I have been reading with interest all this debate and as far as the Murray league goes Nathalia have been brilliant there have been a block of 2 or 3 good sides behind them in recent years and behind that they other sides have been that far off the others that if they are any better than the leading sides of the Kyabram League it wouldn't be by a bees d...

As far as guys testing themselves there has been 13 and 12 sides now in the comp so the test is to be best in that big field a great achievement by who ever ends up winning it. It seems that the people on here squarking would have ulterior motives to try and get these guys to there club or want to see them out of the league.

Football for most is about competition and enjoyment both of which are easily found at District league level.
A majority of the teams only have 2 or 3 players that would be good consistant GV players. Stanhope had no more then Ardy, or Tally or Rushy, its just that the players that make up 4-26 on Stanhopes list are a lot better then the other clubs. The leagues better players have all played a higher level (walker, best, gray, godsmark, etc.) and done well. Stanhope are a perfect example of why depth is important for longevity, they are always competitive at seniors, seconds and thirds, and therefore maintain their playing groups and can attract more recruiting possibilities. I am not sure but......Mason is probably their only example of a possible good GVFL player that hasnt tested himself at a higher level (i think).

A majority of the teams only have 2 or 3 players that would be good consistant GV players. Stanhope had no more then Ardy, or Tally or Rushy, its just that the players that make up 4-26 on Stanhopes list are a lot better then the other clubs. The leagues better players have all played a higher level (walker, best, gray, godsmark, etc.) and done well. Stanhope are a perfect example of why depth is important for longevity, they are always competitive at seniors, seconds and thirds, and therefore maintain their playing groups and can attract more recruiting possibilities. I am not sure but......Mason is probably their only example of a possible good GVFL player that hasnt tested himself at a higher level (i think).

Mason played about 6 or 7 senior games in a stint with Tat back in 2002 i reckon starting first rover before going back to Stanhope.

It depends with which side at GV level you mean in the top sides in may be 3 to 5 that would be good players with others around the frings while in the lower sides it would be more like 10 to 12.

Mason played about 6 or 7 senior games in a stint with Tat back in 2002 i reckon starting first rover before going back to Stanhope.

It depends with which side at GV level you mean in the top sides in may be 3 to 5 that would be good players with others around the frings while in the lower sides it would be more like 10 to 12.
Yeah, stanhope might have 10-12 players capable of playing regular GV, but whether they would be any good would drop back to only 3-4. Some of the previous treads talk about blokes testing themselves, but its not that easy, I think there are only average two or three players on each list that dont get tested, and most of these guys have played higher levels. The others are good players but still get tested week in, week out. To qualify yourself as needing to step up and be tested, you need to clearly out perform your opposition each week, and even though Stanhope does this as a team, there are only a select few that can claim this individually.

Mason also played a couple of games for Tongala as a 17 year old, but went back to Stanhope that year as well.

I don't think its about testing yourself, but more a case of playing with the mates you grew up with. Most of the boys at Stanhope grew up together and still live there and are not to interested in playing for anyone else. If they did most of them could ask for big $ compared to what they are getting now. So its not about money either.

I think if most of them stay for another year, and win another flag, you might see some of the younger boys move on. But not this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

QUOTE]

True OTM, but Tonny only won 3 games and got beat by sides only a rung or two above it by 15-20goals that year, in saying that we still would have been better than even money against any side in the KDL in the season proper. The Rushy game our top 4 in that years B&F did not play and also had a brawl that seen 4 of our guys sent off and none from Rushy, 14 v 18 for 15minutes will sort most sides out.

Stanhope side this year could have won 4-6 games if in the MFL, no other side would have won any in my opinion.

Without writing an essay, I'd say there's more than 3 or 4 from Stanhope who could play in the GVFL pretty comfortably.

Jarrod Mason, Matt Trist, Dave Hansford, Nick Gibbs, Brenton Gray, Chris Sanders and Marcus Emmett would all have no troubles.

Hoota's obviously done it before, as has Dwight Weeks. Having a look around, Kyle Harrison and Rhys Martin both played seniors at Tonny without getting a look in at Stanhope and Justin Chalmers has been playing 1s at Ky and would struggle to make the Lions' 21

hank1;9383151 Stanhope side this year could have won 4-6 games if in the MFL said:
Are you saying that Stanhope were as good or better then Tongala this year?????

Wouldn't think there would be too much in it, would obviously expect us to win, but we did have a couple of bad days during the year so they could certainly knock us off on their day, if both sides played their best footy I would think we would win by 5 goals. Who knows though, would expect our forwards to be hard to cover, and A. Reid a wildcard on a wing, but James would be a handful to contain and onball would be even.

Without writing an essay, I'd say there's more than 3 or 4 from Stanhope who could play in the GVFL pretty comfortably.

Jarrod Mason, Matt Trist, Dave Hansford, Nick Gibbs, Brenton Gray, Chris Sanders and Marcus Emmett would all have no troubles.

Hoota's obviously done it before, as has Dwight Weeks. Having a look around, Kyle Harrison and Rhys Martin both played seniors at Tonny without getting a look in at Stanhope and Justin Chalmers has been playing 1s at Ky and would struggle to make the Lions' 21

I think Maso, Gray and probs Hansford/sanders might class as possible good GVFL players. I wouldnt say no troubles for the others, they would get a game at the lower clubs, but not 'good' GVFL players. Struggle @ swans, seymore, etc. (and if they did they would be fringies). As for the others.....my mum could have had a kick with Tonny ones 3 years ago (great to see them rebuilding and working up the ladder), and Chalmers has been at Ky a few years now and isnt that old (and isnt a good ones player either).

Mason also played a couple of games for Tongala as a 17 year old, but went back to Stanhope that year as well.

I don't think its about testing yourself, but more a case of playing with the mates you grew up with. Most of the boys at Stanhope grew up together and still live there and are not to interested in playing for anyone else. If they did most of them could ask for big $ compared to what they are getting now. So its not about money either.

I think if most of them stay for another year, and win another flag, you might see some of the younger boys move on. But not this year.
cant knock your argument about playing with your mates saint, but you cant tell me sanders, saunders, alvarez harris, grinton and james live or have ever lived any where near stanhope and play for a pie and a coke. james and grinton we all know come for a very large sum. anyway, grints is getting on, is he still going round again??

seeing both tonny and stanhope play this year i think stanhope would be too good. tonny relying on too few for goals and bit slower through the midfield. biggest thing would be containing james. but the practice game between tonny and rushy was no indicator of the two sides and how the leagues would match up as tonny were missing half there best 18 just about. rick sheers to tonny next year? can this be confirmed hank.

I think Maso, Gray and probs Hansford/sanders might class as possible good GVFL players. I wouldnt say no troubles for the others, they would get a game at the lower clubs, but not 'good' GVFL players. Struggle @ swans, seymore, etc. (and if they did they would be fringies). As for the others.....my mum could have had a kick with Tonny ones 3 years ago (great to see them rebuilding and working up the ladder), and Chalmers has been at Ky a few years now and isnt that old (and isnt a good ones player either).

'Hooda' Gray was a very good footballer for Rochy. When he played there, they made the finals every year. He also won a best and fairest and I'm pretty sure he made an interleague squad.

He showed he was not only good enough to play seniors, but to play great football in a pretty successful side.

seeing both tonny and stanhope play this year i think stanhope would be too good. tonny relying on too few for goals and bit slower through the midfield. biggest thing would be containing james. but the practice game between tonny and rushy was no indicator of the two sides and how the leagues would match up as tonny were missing half there best 18 just about. rick sheers to tonny next year? can this be confirmed hank.

Wouldnt be so sure bout that, can only think of 2 blokes for the Mainland that played in the midfield that hav got a bit of pace to burn.

'Hooda' Gray was a very good footballer for Rochy. When he played there, they made the finals every year. He also won a best and fairest and I'm pretty sure he made an interleague squad.

He showed he was not only good enough to play seniors, but to play great football in a pretty successful side.

Think this is just a stupid argument!!! Gray has well and truly proven he is a G.V standard player but "other" stanhope players havn't done so! Think you are pumping up these players tires a bit! Some good K.D.L players just wouldn't cut it in the good G.V sides. Some good G.V players havn't exactley killed it at K.D.L. Some players adjust and others don't.

I have honestly cut a bit of slack by rating Stanhope about the same as Tonny I am sure most would agree that both sides at their best we would have their measure. No one could go with Roberts up forward for Tonny, and no on could go for pace with Nunn (stanhope's go to man in a crisis is Clymo who couldnt even get a a game week in week out in the Loddon Valley League, did a great job on Meka though), and he will take anything put in front of him, Mark Reid in a pocket would carve up anyone in the KDL let alone just the Stanhope side. Andrew Reid sitting out on a wing would be a match up headache, maybe they could play Sanders on him but they would cancel each other out and would back Reid one on one for muscle.
Luke McGill at CHB would beat anyone they put at CHF. The only posy I would be worried about is James and do we include him after playing five games, why not. I would play Steve Townsend on him and he would do a good job when the ball got down there. Onball would be a good match up. would exploit their best in and under in Grinton by runnning off him all day, if Gray played would have Kyle Harrison(very underated) or myself follow him around, Brennan would soften up Trist in the Ruck but would be a handful around the ground if he ran to the right positions.
As mentioned earlier would be a good match up, but would back ourselves to cover them. Would go in extremely confident early in the home and away if James decided it wasnt worth travelling up for the game;)

Left because wasnt getting full games, may of improved since then but he wasnt up to it then.

He played two games at Tat when he was 19 and got injured in the second didn't get benched until injured. Got third best in first game only left because Stanhope got him work. So if that is'nt up it I don't know what is chicken noodle soup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back