Kellie Underwood

Remove this Banner Ad

None of the criticism has been wether she was fluent, accurate and competent, which she was, but on the tone of her voice and bias, derived i might add purely from the fact she was calling a match resembling a man kicking a dog.

The team of Hudson, Underwood, Darcy, Richardson and whatshisname did a fair job in my opinion and i would watch and listen to them again ahead of the so called A team of Quartermain, Lane, Walls and Maher.

There is no place for Women doing footy unless its something like gossip programs like Footy Classified. They can't do footy shows because they get to offended on things guys do. I don't want to sit watching a couple of metro boys talking about their boyfriends on the footy show.

I'm happy to be a man with balls who like to swear,have no crap with this political correct shit. The old school is the best,stop making the world all a bunch of Women with Gay men. I'm all for Women who want to work but leave the man shit alone like we leave Netball and Swimming/Tennis to the girls and metro guys who think they guys,lol.

All the guys who give me shit are guys who don't wear the pants i guarantee you that. I bet these guys have to ask their woman to go out and need to have a mobile every time they out and be on call every second. I bet they get asked where they going every time. They all whipped and have no control probably walk with a beeper on every call.

Be A Man there is plenty of Woman to every guy and they know it.There is more women in the world. There is plenty of hookers also to satisfy your sexual needs if they get too smart.

Let me guess. You are the man who discovered the wheel and built the Eiffel Tower out of metal and brawn.
Nice post Ron.

None of the criticism has been wether she was fluent, accurate and competent, which she was, but on the tone of her voice and bias, derived i might add purely from the fact she was calling a match resembling a man kicking a dog.

What does that have to do with it? She was embarrasingly biased, and as a Melbourne supporter watching the game, I found it frustrating. She groaned when Geelong turned it over, commented on umpiring (non)decisions a number of times, all when they didn't go the way of Geelong, and quite often the correct decision was made by the umpire.

If she wasn't biased, I wouldn't have had too much of a problem, it just would've been her annoying voice. But Huddo can put his affiliation aside and called the game well, she obviously couldn't, and that's not good enough...

The team of Hudson, Underwood, Darcy, Richardson and whatshisname did a fair job in my opinion and i would watch and listen to them again ahead of the so called A team of Quartermain, Lane, Walls and Maher.

She was articulate. But as a commentator, you are inevitably going to be judged based on your tone as well. A monotonous voice is not going to be as engaging and a large portion of the audience will lose interest or turn it off. This criteria comes with any public speaking role. As for her bias, it is her job to remain as neutral as possible in any given match. If the match resembled "a man kicking a dog" as you say, then she should have been biased against the man, not the dog. I'm a Geelong fan, and I got annoyed at her on Melbourne's behalf. She heavily implied she was after a beatdown rather than a genuine contest from both sides.

Well like I said earlier Watermelon, her blatantly obvious bias comes as no surprise to me, since her previous job was at K-Rock - and honestly, that mob are about as impartial as Goebbels during the war... :rolleyes:

I only watched the first half on the weekend and thought she did I fine job.

I don't want to hear insights from a play by play commentator when you have two supposed experts to provide those sitting beside her.

After assessing the feedback on this thread, it appears Geelong vs Hawthorn wont be watched by too many because she has scored that gig too.

It's good to see her given the experience and making the most of the opportunity she has been given.

I knew the reaction to her on BigFooty would be negative and it goes to show how close minded the majority on here are.

What other reaction would there be to a commentator who can't commentate?

She forgot the names of players countless times, fell behind the play over & over again, didn't really say anything intelligent, and was so biased that it bordered on the ridiculous!

Did she think it was like K-Rock and only Cats fans were watching or something?

I'd say the same thing about any commentator if they put in a performance as diabolically awful as that was.

Shes commentating the Hawks Geelong game?

Bwahaha. Hawks fans, get ready for some absurdly biased anti-Hawks comments and a play-by-play of Buddy Hodgelin and Cyril Rougholi's games.

I knew the reaction to her on BigFooty would be negative and it goes to show how close minded the majority on here are.

I think the close minded one would be the one who is unable to criticise someone for being just as bad, if not worse than other highly criticised commentators, simply because of their gender.

Just some thoughts from a neutral observer who watched most of the game.

Positives:
- Refreshing to hear a woman's voice. A bit monotone and nasally but overall it's okay. Her voice was getting scratchy towards halftime but she recovered well.
- Seems to have a solid understanding of the game, not great but solid.
- Have to cut her some slack because she would've been understandably nervous.

Negatives:
- Bias for the Cats was showing quite early. Not sure if it was because they were dominating or she has ties w/ Geelong. Not as bad as others though (re: the whole ch10 team). Either way, this is the cardinal sin for commentators, show any bias and lose all credibility. Hopefully she improves on that.
- Calls the play in a very basic manner. I've discussed this with friends who argue that the main play-by-play commentator should not add special insights, that's the job for the analysts, but I disagree. Bruce and Denis do this really well, pointing out things beside the obvious in long passages of play. The fact is, the special analysts mostly suck balls and offer very little, so she needs to improve this aspect as well. Btw, I think a 4-man commentary team is one too many, but that's another matter.
- Didn't bring any excitement to the call. I can give her a pass on this because the game was over by quarter time.

One thing she needs to improve on is engaging with her co-commentators. Not only to bring out their personalities but also to show some of hers. She came off as very bland.

Overall she did okay. She's already ahead of some, like Dwayne "give it some shoe" Russell. Good enough for another few goes but definitely plenty of room for improvement. Hopefully the next time we hear her, it will be a really close, exciting game where she will get more opportunities to show off her chops.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

caught the last 15 minutes of the game and if theres a worst caller going around I'll like to know.
Her voice makes you want to throw up
her knowledge of teh game is poor
she trys to sound funny at times

I can tell you now that if she was male she would have a job in the media. Poor form on Channel 10's part for hiring based on sex and not skill.

I don't think I have ever laughed when a woman has done stand up.
Try Lisa Lampanelli. Good for some laughs.

The female used in NBA games interviewing the players is awesome, she is increbibly knowlegeable and the players respect her. I think there is definately an avenue here for women to commentate, just needs to be tinkered a little.
Doris Burke? I think all sideline reporters are more or less useless though. Apart from updating injuries, no smart player or coach will reveal anything interesting. It's to their detriment to do so.

I agree with your point. There is room for females to commentate. There just needs to be one who connects with the typical Aussie yobbo (of which this board has plenty). :D

Whatever happened to Tiff Cherry? She was more than competent boundary commentator.

tiff-1.jpg

Can't believe a possibly great game is going to be ruined by her calling it here...seriously I can understand the trialing of a woman but perhaps in the NAB cup or something when we don't care?

Remove this Banner Ad

Kellie Underwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back