Kersten

Remove this Banner Ad

the fact that he made the coice to leave for GWS proves that he had come around to the idea of being at the GWS team. he said yes, so therefore he was happy to go, but he must have got a nasty shock when he got there... probably feeling something similar to the way rhys palmer is feeling right now ;):D

I dont feel anger towards Rhys. He did what he thought was best for him and his family. The problem is that when he is counting his money off the field, he is going to be getting SMASHED on the field. Sheeds was out of tricks 5 years ago and this new team is going to be suffering during its infancy. Despite all of the draft concessions in the world (Ones that we did even get close to when we started) he has a team that is either too young or too old.

Rhys is stuck in the middle and will be asked like Ward to shoulder a very heavy burden.

You'd think so, in GWS's opinion not necessarily everyone else's.

Look it could be anything. For example - At the time I think Kersten was 189cm and sub KP height, whereas Turnbridge might have already hit 191cm. Or it could have been on some other criteria which they were applying for only that prior year.

I def think that we should take Kersten despite some of his recent comments that he wants to live in Melb. In the end he is what our team needs the most so 'IF' he turns out to be a decent AFL player and 'IF' he wants to leave in a couple of years then we should be able to trade him for something decent.

But there a couple of big IFs as he grows up a bit he will no doubt appreciate the importance of family and hopefully he enjoys his time at the club and what the club has done for him so he stays. But either way I still think he is what need and dont think we have much to loose so grab him if is available and although he is almost rated top 10 on BF I think he there is a very good chance he will be there at 16 and possibly even 20.

If GWS overlooked Kersten a year ago but selected Tunbridge (both 191cm KP). Isn't that saying that Tunbridge is better player?

I previously heard that GWS had a chat with him last year & he came across like a bit of a knob / they weren't bowled over by his attitude. After seeing his facebook comments, that sounds plausible.

Attitude aside, I'd still think take him at pick 20. Would love to get Adams at 16 but would happily take that tough nut HBF (Ellis?) if Adams goes. If Kersten goes before 20, take McInnes. Horsley would be good get at 58, but I heard St Kilda/Watters are all over him.

Isn't it interesting how differering points of view can be transferred to different threads!

Prove it?

The choice was his. No doubt.

But he was dubious from the outset. You have no idea how much pressure that this kid, and his family, were under.

There is a certain amount of prestige by being drafted in the way that he was. Something that anyone would consider seriously at the beginning of their career.

He couldn't cope with where he was living and the distance between himself and his family.

It is as simple as that.

There is a difference between arguing someone's point of view and arguing their misinformed fact claiming.

Did you know that Tunbridge had the option to re-locate to GWS this year? He could have stayed in WA for 2011 and played in the WAFL if he wanted too. Seemed like he wanted to have a red hot crack at it.

Like I said, if he didn't want to join GWS as a 17 year old selection he could have said no and went into this years draft. He took the spot instead of Shanke Kersten who was upset that he didn't get to join GWS (at the time). I understand the home sick factor and being in GWS but he was forced into nothing.

I found it hard it hard to compare the presitge between being a 17 year old selection or a possible first round draft pick.

There is a difference between arguing someone's point of view and arguing their misinformed fact claiming.

Did you know that Tunbridge had the option to re-locate to GWS this year? He could have stayed in WA for 2011 and played in the WAFL if he wanted too. Seemed like he wanted to have a red hot crack at it.

Like I said, if he didn't want to join GWS as a 17 year old selection he could have said no and went into this years draft. He took the spot instead of Shanke Kersten who was upset that he didn't get to join GWS (at the time). I understand the home sick factor and being in GWS but he was forced into nothing.

I found it hard it hard to compare the presitge between being a 17 year old selection or a possible first round draft pick.

Ok, ok, ok.

You know everything.

The fact that I am mates with his old man, and bounced Simon on my knee as a baby means nothing.

You must be right.

Well done.:thumbsu:

I previously heard that GWS had a chat with him last year & he came across like a bit of a knob / they weren't bowled over by his attitude. After seeing his facebook comments, that sounds plausible.

Attitude aside, I'd still think take him at pick 20. Would love to get Adams at 16 but would happily take that tough nut HBF (Ellis?) if Adams goes. If Kersten goes before 20, take McInnes. Horsley would be good get at 58, but I heard St Kilda/Watters are all over him.

Can't say I half blame him for acting like a knob to GWS..I'd hate to be drafted to Greater Wretched Shithole.

It means you're old. :thumbsu:

:(:( I know.

Thanks for reminding me.:p

I have never said that he was forced into anything.

Actively coerced? Maybe. But not forced.

The fact remains that there was massive pressure on the kid to take up the GWS top 12 draft thing, as it was part of the AFL's policy for the GWS expansion.

He DID NOT want to go, but he finally relented.

Just because he made the right sounds in subsequent media releases means jack shit.

He was hardly going to bag out GWS and the AFL when he had decided to give it a crack.

Living in Sydney just wasn't for him. And I can fully understand that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok, ok, ok.

You know everything.

The fact that I am mates with his old man, and bounced Simon on my knee as a baby means nothing.

You must be right.

The simple fact that he chose to head over to GWS means you are wrong.

He wasn't obliged to move there, and did so by choice.

:thumbsdown:

Ok, ok, ok.

You know everything.

You must be right.

Well to be fair u were the one who said that rod and Simon are eagle fans, which they are not, says that u haven't been in contact with them lately so how could u comment on his behalf?

The fact remains that there was massive pressure on the kid to take up the GWS top 12 draft thing, as it was part of the AFL's policy for the GWS expansion.

Just because he made the right sounds in subsequent media releases means jack shit.

He was hardly going to bag out GWS and the AFL when he had decided to give it a crack.

You are obviously personally involved and impressed with him, and I reckon most Freo posters want him as he fits a specific need for emerging KPP's.

But some of your justifications are bemusing. Not "bagging out GWS and the AFL", yet walking away from the club you had agreed to join are irreconcilable in my view, and definitely something that he would want to address with any prospective clubs who may look to sign him. Maybe he has done that. But training your damn hardest with a club in the lead up to the draft if you have been invited to seems like a good way to do that. Especially as WC are out of the draft early, meaning he needs to bump his prospects to a top 30 selection. Instead they slide to Rookie list territory.

Can't say I half blame him for acting like a knob to GWS..I'd hate to be drafted to Greater Wretched Shithole.

Hard to argue with that. Similar story to darling last year, ie potential d&ck head. Its not uncommon for the big fellas to have a bit of arrogance to them, is not always a bad thing. Never seen him play, but provided he can in fact play I wouldn't hesitate in taking him

Hard to argue with that. Similar story to darling last year, ie potential d&ck head. Its not uncommon for the big fellas to have a bit of arrogance to them, is not always a bad thing. Never seen him play, but provided he can in fact play I wouldn't hesitate in taking him

Not uncommon, but I'd rather be cheering for a pav than a fev :p

Saves me trying to reconcile the 'you're an awesome player but a ******** that I'd punch if I saw you in public' :thumbsu:

Never seen kersten play either, but the likes of Chris , ysaye , twolf , Lach etc etc. have all given a big :thumbsu:

:(:( I know.

Thanks for reminding me.:p

I have never said that he was forced into anything.

Actively coerced? Maybe. But not forced.

I really don't think you get the concept of choice. Obviously in Tunbridge's mind the positives outweighed the negatives. If he did not want to go then he wouldn't have. Lastly if you knew the bloke why the hell didn't you say so?

Spot on! This is not something I thought would be debatable.

Yes, yes Muffin. Ignore the fact that I said that he was extremely reluctant in the first place and then eventually relented after some pretty heavy pressure.

He is a kid FFS. How many life changing decisions did you make when you were just 17?

Well to be fair u were the one who said that rod and Simon are eagle fans, which they are not, says that u haven't been in contact with them lately so how could u comment on his behalf?

I am happy to chat to you via PM to prove my bona fides on this. There is a pretty good chance that we know, or know of, each other if you are as close to them as you claim.

I will admit to not living in Dongara for many years. But two of my kids still do. My son is mates with Simon, albeit 2 years older. And my daughter is very good friends with his sister. I used to regularly catch up with "Tuds" in Perth when our two girls played Country Week basketball together, and on my 1 or 2 trips back to Dongara a year. I now live overseas.

As to who they follow?

Well I can assure you that Rod was initially an Eagles fan. We watched the inaugural Derby together at a bloke called Rex Tomsetts' house. Know him? He now lives in Bunbury.

If he has jumped to us, then I respectfully apologise and congratulate him. But it is not a topic that we discuss when catching up casually at a basketball game.

You are obviously personally involved and impressed with him, and I reckon most Freo posters want him as he fits a specific need for emerging KPP's.

But some of your justifications are bemusing. Not "bagging out GWS and the AFL", yet walking away from the club you had agreed to join are irreconcilable in my view, and definitely something that he would want to address with any prospective clubs who may look to sign him. Maybe he has done that. But training your damn hardest with a club in the lead up to the draft if you have been invited to seems like a good way to do that. Especially as WC are out of the draft early, meaning he needs to bump his prospects to a top 30 selection. Instead they slide to Rookie list territory.

There is a gap of nearly a year between him accepting the position with GWS and making the right noises and then walking out.

A lot of water under the bridge in that time. So I can reconcile it quite easily.

Yeah. He could enhance his prospects by training in Perth at present. No doubt.

But I am told that he has his reasons.

Lots of water Tunder the Bridge.

I've changed my mind lots of times in the space of a year regarding things that seemed like a good idea at the time but later I decided was a bad idea. I can appreciate the likelihood of it happening - for me the two biggest ones have been career related, one location specific.

I am happy to chat to you via PM to prove my bona fides on this. There is a pretty good chance that we know, or know of, each other if you are as close to them as you claim.

I will admit to not living in Dongara for many years. But two of my kids still do. My son is mates with Simon, albeit 2 years older. And my daughter is very good friends with his sister. I used to regularly catch up with "Tuds" in Perth when our two girls played Country Week basketball together, and on my 1 or 2 trips back to Dongara a year. I now live overseas.

As to who they follow?

Well I can assure you that Rod was initially an Eagles fan. We watched the inaugural Derby together at a bloke called ReNo Names house. Know him? He now lives in Bunbury.

If he has jumped to us, then I respectfully apologise and congratulate him. But it is not a topic that we discuss when catching up casually at a basketball game.

I don't live in Dongara and I am not claiming to be close to Simon. I know him and I'm good mates with some of his cousins. I don't know the tomsetts, they're a bit before my time, but I know of them. Their kids were mates with some of my mates. They used to live in that big house about 3km north of the big crayfish I believe?

I take your word for most of what u say about Simon, you sound a lot closer to their family then myself.

They all seem to have good heads on their shoulders, the Tunbridge's, so I wouldn't question his commitment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Kersten

Remove this Banner Ad

Back