Remove this Banner Ad

Master Coach

Debutant
Nov 24, 2007
Australasia
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
By ROBERT WALLS -The Age, May 7, 2010

"...there is one major problem. No one is prepared to sit in the driver's seat when the going gets tough...It's a disappointing start for a team that has as much, if not more, talent than any side in the competition...Their window of opportunity to win a premiership is now and is staring them in the face...Tonight, against a young Demons outfit, the Bulldogs should win and win well. What Doggy supporters and the football world will be desperately looking out for is who among them can fill the driver's seat when crunch time comes. For mine, I think the time has arrived for Murphy and Cooney to show they have the courage and confidence to plant themselves firmly behind the steering wheel..."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...teer-team-to-a-premiership-20100506-uguz.html

My first take is that Eade needs to improve his coaching skills (but that's another story to be discussed at the end of this year). He was clearly outcoached last week and didn't have a Plan B to rebuff his counterparts moves in the last quarter. That said, as Walls has clearly pointed out, the Doggies need a stand-out leader to grab the game by the scruff of its neck (when the game is to be won) and lead the team across the line. Whitten did it when we won our last (and sadly -only) premiership! Problem is guys -I cannot see anyone in our current 22 capable or willing to stand up to the task!? Any suggestions?! -but please provide supportive evidence...

Wallsy can be a pretty self indulgent w***er at times..but he is spot on with this article and it reflects the majority of thoughts us supporters have voiced recently..maybe he reads bigfooty for ideas!
wouldnt be the first journo/ footy "expert" to do so

Not a huge fan of Walls be he is correct in this article in most points.
As Dogma says he echos the thoughts of plenty of posters in this board- especially players who want to take the shot at goal when needed.

I reckon Boyd might be the one, and I think we missed his steadying influence in the last qtr last week. He seems to have that steel a few of the other haven't shown enough of.
We have plenty of skill but to win a premiership we need more than that.

KM

boyd and griffen to be added to the list of leaders.

Cooney, Murphey Boyd, Cooney and Gia have to step and finally take over from GRANT, WEST, SMITH AND JOHNSON.

For mine, it's not about 1 player.

The uncertainty and inconsistancy of Johnno appearances hasn't helped things at all. He's been the leader for 5 years- undisputed. Aka has played cameos for the last 3 also. But, their age is showing this year.

Who is filling the shoes? Shaggy, Lake, Murphy, Gilbee, Guido and Hahn have to blooody well lift and lead. They are the senior heads. Cooney, Griif and Higgo need to step up also. But, it's the other 5 whose time is right now.

The only guy with fire in his belly is Ben Hudson. Of course Barry Hall knows how to lead but his reputation has been shot by his past infringements.

Hudson is always there looking after younger guys, he gets in the opposition's face. He's the man to push this team to a premiership.

Forget all this crap about "leadership groups". You just need one general on the park and the other troops need to follow his example and take some verbal abuse if they stuff up and not hang their heads.

It doesn't have to be *STAR* or *ELITE* player, forget the poetry reading Murphy, Cooney is a great gun but not a leader, Lake lacks the concentration, Hargrave is way too soft, he looked like he was going to cry when Medhurst out-bodied him on the line against Collingwood for one of the many soft kicks that Medhurst got that awful day.

Looking to the future, Addison is the guy I would like to see groomed or Picken. They are both as hard as nails and give 100% effort every game.

Very harsh on Adam Cooney. In the games against Hawthorn, Adelaide and St Kilda it was very noticeable how he lifted his work rate as the game progressed. His clearance work was instrumental in the wins over the Crows and Hawks, and it wasn't his fault we lost to the Saints.

I think this is the next step in the evolution of Ryan Griffen. He has shown this year he is becomming an elite player. Now is the time he puts his stamp on a game like last Friday and either kicks or sets up the match winning goals against a St Kilda, Geelong or Collingwood.

We really missed Matty Boyd last week too, as he is another who often leads from the front when the game is on the line.

I'm thrilled Walls has written an article like this.

It seems like we're just coasting at the minute and as he said it's time for our senior group to step up and make a statement.

3-3 is not good enough for a team with the amount of talent we have right now.

Not a huge fan of Walls be he is correct in this article in most points.
As Dogma says he echos the thoughts of plenty of posters in this board- especially players who want to take the shot at goal when needed.

I reckon Boyd might be the one, and I think we missed his steadying influence in the last qtr last week. He seems to have that steel a few of the other haven't shown enough of.
We have plenty of skill but to win a premiership we need more than that.

KM

Agree with you 100% KM. Didn't Boyd have a go at some of the players in the pre season who he didn't think were working hard enough. He is made of steel and would make an excellent Captain - who leads by example.

Remove this Banner Ad

Key Dogs need to steer team to a premiership

Remove this Banner Ad

Back