Preview Key match-ups VS FREO

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope you let Mick know you don't need to tag Barlow or Hill or Morabito or Suban or Palmer.
I'll let Harvey know he should bring in some stoppers for youer guys.:rolleyes:

ok i'll give you barlow and hill but morabito and palmer your kidding right? this is the same palmer who turns it over every second time he kicks the ball. as for morabito he hasn't exactly been tearing games to bits. i'm pretty sure your coaching panels gonna have more headaches then our coaching panel.

ok i'll give you barlow and hill but morabito and palmer your kidding right? this is the same palmer who turns it over every second time he kicks the ball. as for morabito he hasn't exactly been tearing games to bits. i'm pretty sure your coaching panels gonna have more headaches then our coaching panel.

Nah mate. In 2008 before his knee he was kicking at around 70%. It was a beat up from people on Bigfooty who's club chose Masten instead of him. Ironically Masten kicks flourbags.:D

;) Nah its the same Palmer who got 2 brownlow votes last time you visited Subiaco.

Looking forward to this game. Should be a cracker. I'm usually not sure what to expect being a Fremantle supporter. Usually our form is pretty unpredictable. This year is totally different. We are averaging around the 110 mark whether we are winning or losing. It will depend on whether Collingwood can dissect our zone.

Can't wait.

Nah mate. In 2008 before his knee he was kicking at around 70%. It was a beat up from people on Bigfooty who's club chose Masten instead of him. Ironically Masten kicks flourbags.:D

he's a shocking kick. remember watching him that year and he consistently turned the ball over by foot. we'll see on friday night.

"the game will be played on our terms.. every player knows there role.. its up to fremantle to stop us.. they will be the ones doing the tagging if there is any to be done" THATSGOLD

I hope you let Mick know you don't need to tag Barlow or Hill or Morabito or Suban or Palmer.

I do believe we have an example of the very rare and only recently discovered species "the arrogant Freo supporter" here folks.

There were a few early sighting back in 1995 but these seemed to disappear with some experts maintaining that these were in fact a subterranean dwelling sub-species of the " greater delusional Freo supporter".

Comments like these aren't a slight on Freo. Collingwood simply does not apply tags and most fans know this. Rather we rotate really heavily through the middle and for the most part try to win at the contest. Defending and accountability is a team effort. You might see some run with roles but not your traditional tight tags.

He a footballer who runs faster than anyone on your list, is 18 years old, weighs 92kg and can kick 60m. Might not hit the papers in Melbourne until he has played 200 or so games.
Just the way we like it.;)
This mean he will out-do swan, pendles, thomas, davis,o'bree, beams, sidebottom, ball....
am i missing anyone??

Comments like these aren't a slight on Freo. Collingwood simply does not apply tags and most fans know this. Rather we rotate really heavily through the middle and for the most part try to win at the contest. Defending and accountability is a team effort. You might see some run with roles but not your traditional tight tags.

haha i just read that freo response to my post morborto or something? i ate one of them once..

quicky you stole what i was going to reply though.. collingwood simply does not apply tags!!!! wish this freo supporter actually watched more than one game of football a week.

This mean he will out-do swan, pendles, thomas, davis,o'bree, beams, sidebottom, ball....
am i missing anyone??

I look at that and I think to myself legspeed.

No offence but Swan is not what you'd call electrifying, Pendlebury isnt fast, nor Thomas, a gut runner maybe but not quick by any stretch. Davis has some toe does he play through the middle that much these days?

O'bree is slow, Beams, slow, Sidebottom wonderful, smart footballer but not quick, Ball, slow.

The area in which we have gained an advantage over most sides this year is legpspeed, our ability to spread from the contest has been exceptional.

Guys like Hill, Morabito, who you dont rate, Ballantyne, Suban and Palmer these guys are quick.

We win our share of clean, contested footy and I think we'll run you off your feet pace wise.

But that's my concern, can we match your inside grunt work?

Time will tell, think it will be a cracking game have to say Freo by 8 points. Simply for the home ground factor.

Could go either way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do believe we have an example of the very rare and only recently discovered species "the arrogant Freo supporter" here folks.

There were a few early sighting back in 1995 but these seemed to disappear with some experts maintaining that these were in fact a subterranean dwelling sub-species of the " greater delusional Freo supporter".

Not at all mate, not at all. The Freo fan you mention does not speak for all of us. Of course, I'm happy with the way things are going obviously but it's a very long season and I'm not getting ahead of myself at all.

If we can stop Pavlich, Barlow, Hill and Hasleby we will win. Should be a tight game.

No offence but Swan is not what you'd call electrifying, Pendlebury isnt fast, nor Thomas, a gut runner maybe but not quick by any stretch. Davis has some toe does he play through the middle that much these days?

Are you being serious?

Swan may not look fast because of his waddle but he is very quick. Try and remember when you've watched us play whether you have ever seen him get run down.

Even more laughable if your description of Thomas as not being fast. If he's not quick across the ground then no-one in the league is.

Btw, you forgot Wellingham who will be back this week and is very quick.

O'bree is slow, Beams, slow, Sidebottom wonderful, smart footballer but not quick, Ball, slow.

The area in which we have gained an advantage over most sides this year is legpspeed, our ability to spread from the contest has been exceptional.

Guys like Hill, Morabito, who you dont rate, Ballantyne, Suban and Palmer these guys are quick.

Ballantyne plays forward, he's probably as quick as Medhurst. Hill is certainly quick, Palmer has the explosive pace from packs, Suban isn't lightning, Morabito I haven't seen all that much of [only 3 games this year] but he seems fairly quick.

If you're suggesting Suban is quicker than Thomas, you're kidding yourself. Swan has some serious toe, but it's deceptive due to his running style, bursts from packs similar to Palmer. Wellingham is back this week and is probably our quickest player. Plus Johnson is pretty quick. That's four players who go through our midfield with pace; all are playing brilliant football at the minute. Leon Davis, Paul Medhurst and Alan Didak up forward have some pace. Shaw, O'Brien and even Maxwell aren't bad off half-back, and Toovey would probably be our third quickest player. We're quick enough.

And BTW... Beams isn't slow.

We will succesfully shark Sandi's taps and win the clearances and thats a start. Though what has won us games this year has been our forward pressure, zone work and scoring from turnovers. This poses a problem as Subi is such a wide ground. If we can effectively zone there they will struggle against us. Though i fear with their speed and size of the ground we may not be able to score so fluently as we have the past few weeks. It will be a good test to cloke and dawes who IMO need to stand up and kick a bag in order for us to win. Our spread of goalkickers wont help at subi if we cant force turnovers and therefore have to rely on the big fellas.

Not saying we can't, just saying we need to adjust well and quickly.

Are you being serious?

Swan may not look fast because of his waddle but he is very quick. Try and remember when you've watched us play whether you have ever seen him get run down.

Even more laughable if your description of Thomas as not being fast. If he's not quick across the ground then no-one in the league is.

Btw, you forgot Wellingham who will be back this week and is very quick.
Yeah, was gonna say.

well before this year , our mids were use to roving to opposition rucks, at least this time jolly may actually restrict his effectiveness a bit more than fraser could in the past.

Pav is who im worried about , does harry O get the job ? harry didnt look right to me last week. Or does N Brown stay in the team to play on him ? pavs in awesome form atm so that could be a massive risk too.

freo are still a fairly inexperienced side , so thats another edge to us hopefully.

We win our share of clean, contested footy and I think we'll run you off your feet pace wise.

But that's my concern, can we match your inside grunt work?

Time will tell, think it will be a cracking game have to say Freo by 8 points. Simply for the home ground factor.

Could go either way.

electrifying is bennel from the dees, not many players are that. These two guys tho are still reasonably quick, i dont know why youd see them both as plodders lol

Its funny how some people forget we haven't had any sort of decent ruck division for the almost a decade.

Sandi has always dominated against us, but once its on the deck its as good as ours. Now we have Jolly, which only means this season we've gone from guessing to knowing where it is going to be. Funnily enough talking to most people they think, beat us in the ruck and the clearance is as good as theirs.
Oh so wrong. The likes of swan/obi/tarks/leon/didak/medders/thomas/ pendles have long had the ability to read it off the opposition ruck men ingrained into their brains, it aint funny.

Simply dont expect your man mountain to be so dominate against this mob...

Oh and the kid Brown has quietly kept super pav super quiet the last few times they have played.:)

Re, Pav and Nathan Brown, I assume your talking Round 1, 2008 when he kicked 1.1. I remember that game; the delivery from our pedestrian midfield was woeful and the ball was consistently kicked to his ankles. Last year Pavlich he managed just over a quarter before going off injured for the rest of the game. Not much of a sample really. Not saying that Brown wouldn't necessarily do quite well but Pav is in the best form of a stellar career and he's now getting it kicked lace out from the likes of Barlow, Hill, Duffield among others.

The strength of both sides is their balance; while Pavlich and Sandi are dominant for Freo, you've also got a whole group of other players like Mundy, McPharlin, Tarrant, Hayden, Duffield, Hill, Barlow, Mayne, Johnson and Haselby in great form. Even Kepler caught the bug on Saturday when introduced for Silvagni. The Magpies as well are superbly even. If this was at the G I'd go the Pies for sure but the Subi factor evens it up. Probably Pies based on a slightly greater spread of experience.

electrifying is bennel from the dees, not many players are that. These two guys tho are still reasonably quick, i dont know why youd see them both as plodders lol

I'd suggest the perception of Swan as slow or a plodder is based on his somewhat shambling running style. Might have been why he went so far back in the draft, not sure.

He certainly hasn't lacked for pace when I've seen him.

I havent seen enough of Freo this year to dissect them fully.
Interesting if they are a heavy zoning team, it will allow us to continue our 'full court press'.

This will create a similar scenario to the St Kilda game then with plenty of ball in our forward half, and Freo looking to get us on the counter attack with speed. I expect them to be more positive though than St Kilda so it won't be too low scoring.

Obviously the key will be to win stoppages and centre clearances to have the initiative. Football is more about territory now, our possesion count the last 4 weeks has not been massive compared to the opposition, but our inside 50's have been.

Will need our defensive group to be on the ball on this long ground and always keep goal side. Structure will be more important than matchups.
Pavlich is the obvious worry and then a few of their goal sneak types will need to be watched.

Pretty confident we will get up, by 2 goals thereabouts.

I don't think we'll specifically go out to tag anyone unless a Freo player starts to turn it on like Judd did the other week. We back our midfielders to go head-to-head with the opposition and win contested footy. Collingwood does so many rotations that we don't really tag players anymore.

If Pavlich goes forward then Harry should get him because he's able to play tight and also run off Pav which makes him more accountable. When Pav's in the middle then we'll simply back our midfielders in to get first hands on the footy.

Sandilands is a tricky one. I think at the stoppages we'll do fine because our midfielders have shown over the past few years that they're very good at reading taps off the opposition ruckman. When Sandilands goes forward, we've got confidence that Maxwell/Reid/Brown can run off their opponent and get a fist on the ball. Sandilands will also have to watch out for Jolly and Wood/Fraser who will rest in the forward line or sneak down when he's not switched on. No doubt they'll be aware of this after Jolly and Wood kicked a few goals against North last week.

I'm confident that we can win this one, mainly due to the way we zone and put pressure on our opponents. It'll be more difficult on the big Subiaco ground but I wouldn't be surprised if we get up by 5+ goals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Key match-ups VS FREO

Remove this Banner Ad

Back