Porps is a star!!

Team Captain
Jun 5, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
I know every man and his dog is putting new threads up since last night...

But after sitting in the cheer squad last night right behind the goals it became glaringly obvious to me that for whatever reason the way we set up for a kick in is just not up to it, and I was trying to get through to one of the radio stations after the match to see how many times we had a score kicked against us after a kick in with no luck....

Don't get me wrong I'm not bagging whoever takes the kick, because I was looking around and there was rarely a simple option, on the flip side Collingwood (with the exception of a couple of times when we put good pressure on) seemed to just waltz out with it.

Just made a comment in another thread about Johncock's poor decision making this year. He has (among others, but he's been most glaring) caused numerous turn overs with his indecision which has generally put his fellow player under immediate pressure from the opposition resulting in a turnover.

When we play against teams with a zone defence, our kick in tactics work a treat. We usually aim to double team some poor sucker, taking advantage of the extra number to win the ball - the second kick is usually long to the wing. Get that right and we're clear of the zone and are usually free to move it into our forward line.

Last night Collingwood went man-on-man. We weren't able to move the ball out of defence with any fluency at any stage during the game - even during our first quarter period of total domination. We didn't get the run & spread we normally expect - and when we did we often coughed it up in the midfield after one too many poorly executed handpasses.

The Adelaide head-shed need to examine their tactics for bringing the ball out of defence, when the opposition are going man-on-man rather than zoning.

Arguably this is the one area all year that the Crows really didn't improve. There weren't too many times where we had a clear kick in which resulted in a score at the other end. I would say more often than not, we took our full quota of time before releasing the ball. We really struggled against the top teams in this area and to be honest that is when they matter the most.

I have no issue with the skills of the kicker but the set up and carry from that is more of the concern. It is an area that needs addressing in 2010. I think we have the personnel to execute correctly, just need to break the zones when they are in place. Conversely, teams have managed to get over the Crows zones on occasions so it can be done and that was also evident last night. Parhaps it is a running issue, something that works well when the players run hard but falls down when players drop off a few percent.

We are a fantastc team running from half back, just need to adjust that one more position when it is needed.

I have full faith in the coaching staff at AFC so I am sure this can all be recitified.

We seem to prefer to take our time. What we don't do now is go for the short one on the bondary line. We will go long to the 50 instead.

Remove this Banner Ad

Kick ins

Remove this Banner Ad

Back