KISS to play at the Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

So an organisation that just signed a $4.5b broadcast deal couldn't find an artist to perform on its most important day that's got a single song in the Australian charts during the lifetime of any current player.

Remarkable.
Yep, they could only come up with a band that has sold 75 million albums and had 13 separate platinum albums.

The outrage on here is ludicrous. The artist on the day does about 25 minutes work. The main show is always the footy. 95% if the crowd will know a few Kiss songs and sing and have a good time and then get ready for the footy.

Kiss aren't mugs either. They will come up with something that resonates.

Won't stop the outrage though. Apparently someone who has charted recently (no matter how minor) is more suitable than major megastars. Spare me.

There are plenty of Aussie bands that could easily fill the slot, be recognisable, and not demand a ridiculous payment to fly out here.

I agree that it does make sense to lean into groups that already happen to be in Australia, but KISS seems like a bad choice given no one under the age of 30 would have heard of them, let alone heard of their music.

Any idea what the target demographic for the Seven Network is on a Saturday afternoon? Since they monopolize the spot it's probably heavily involved in the selection.

So an organisation that just signed a $4.5b broadcast deal couldn't find an artist to perform on its most important day that's got a single song in the Australian charts during the lifetime of any current player.

Remarkable.
I wasn't aware that the bolded is part of the criteria for booking a Grand Final act.

Pretty sure that they'll be in the rooms warming up. Not sure why it's important?

Surely it's more important how many of the actual crowd know them and there body of work
From some of the comments here, you'd think that the players will be taking a break from their preparations to listen to the pre-match entertainment. :cool:

I wasn't aware that the bolded is part of the criteria for booking a Grand Final act.
The majority of people who attend the footy are under the age of 45.

I think you'll find the Venn diagram of people who are AFL supporters, and who know more than four lines of any Kiss song, and who are under the age of 45 is pretty small indeed.

Kiss will appeal to gentlemen of a, cof cof, certain age, and sigh sigh, of a certain current body shape, and, err, vomit vomit, of a certain neanderthal sense of music.

Perferct for the AFL GF!

It's not like the AFL is trying to drum up the eyeballs on that particular part of the broadcast in order to sell the grand final broadcast rights for more - buying a headline act to fly them to Australia for a set and then back they go. It's an exercise of trying to secure a recognizable brand for the cheapest price for the people who are most likely to be watching at home.
By your own criteria, Kiss sucks as an option.

"When considering to hire Kiss, you will need secure a minimum budget of $550,000 - $962,500 for Kiss's booking fee."

Source: Why Not Hire Kiss for a Corporate Event, Tradeshow, or Appearance? - Las Vegas Talent Booking Agency

If you're going to spend that kind of money, might as well go local and get someone like Sia. Chandelier would be the perfect half-time song.

"When considering to hire Kiss, you will need secure a minimum budget of $550,000 - $962,500 for Kiss's booking fee."

Source: Why Not Hire Kiss for a Corporate Event, Tradeshow, or Appearance? - Las Vegas Talent Booking Agency

If you're going to spend that kind of money, might as well go local and get someone like Sia. Chandelier would be the perfect half-time song.
I think anyone that thinks SIA is good has no right to comment on music

...and the people watching at home that the adverts on the TV are aimed at might have no idea what that song is.

There are plenty of Aussie bands that could easily fill the slot, be recognisable, and not demand a ridiculous payment to fly out here.

I agree that it does make sense to lean into groups that already happen to be in Australia, but KISS seems like a bad choice given no one under the age of 30 would have heard of them, let alone heard of their music.
It won't matter if no one under 30 has heard of them. The big hair and make up will be a talking point amongst them anyway.

You also have to realise the the AFL fan base has a significant level of boomers and gen X's that would have grown up listening to them. It's a win all round.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The majority of people who attend the footy are under the age of 45.

I think you'll find the Venn diagram of people who are AFL supporters, and who know more than four lines of any Kiss song, and who are under the age of 45 is pretty small indeed.
Kiss will put on a great show, I"m sure.

People who don't know them, either well or at all, will cope, like I cope when I see acts perform that I'm not overly familiar with.

It's not that hard to have an open mind and sit back and enjoy a show - and a show is what people will get with Kiss.

This discussion occurs every year with Grand Final entertainment and all it proves is the AFL can never book act(s) which will make everyone happy.

To answer people's questions, the Grand Final is just about ratings in Sydney and Brisbane, that's the only goal the AFL have for it

Everybody else will watch it anyway

They just get the biggest name they can that will resonate with enough people to tune in, whether that's to watch or cringe-watch.

What ever you think of KISS, they are famous as **** and the biggest name they could get. So here we are.

Open with Detroit Rock City into I was made for lovin' you then close with Rock n roll all nite and a smashed guitar.
Love gun or god of thunder instead of I was made for loving you would be spot on.
Paul Stanley needs be on a zip line across the g, gene needs to be craned up on top of a light tower with his cape and battle axe guitar and more fireworks then a Sydney new year

Surely it's more important how many of the actual crowd know them and there body of worl?
Plenty of people knew Meatloaf and his big fat body of work, how did that work out.

Honestly I don't really care, it would just be nice to have something relevant.

Even if it is a disaster, that makes for good ratings, and that's all that matters to the powers that be. People will still be entertained by a train wreck. I would think Meatloaf and Angry Anderson are the two most talked about and well known performances of all time.

kisscarlton.png

Why do you need pyrotechnics to put on a good show?
To distract you from the geriatric farts in makeup and high heels miming to shit music no one listens to.

Remove this Banner Ad

KISS to play at the Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Back