Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2010 Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know any of the draftees for a bar of soap in terms of game style but how would someone comparable to both Luke Hodge & Brendan Goddard fall to pick 8??? While a Jarrad Grant is at pick 5?

Watson is an interesting one. Some are going as far as to say he is a 2nd rounder. I really like Watson but I think Geelong will be looking at more pacy types. Smedts while nice one on one has some real class and a little bit of speed. Geelong looked really exposed in the finals against Collingwood's speed around the ground so I think they are going to top up with some relatively speedy types.
Watson probably doesn't suit the Geelong team all that well. My feeling with him is that he might get a little exposed on the lead with his relative lack of speed. In a team who zone off well and have midfielders regularly pushing back like Hawthorn and St Kilda would probably be better fits for Watson.

Adressed their key position defense needs to an extent with Tape who for mine is an ideal Tom Harley type replacement. I'm aware Scarlett is nearing the end but for Geelong I'd probably hold off and trade into or go after a mature option when they need to. They have every opportunity to remain competitive and a force of the competition, so I'd recommend they continue to go for it while their veterains are still around. These players are mostly complimentry to their excisting players, and then at a later date replacements should be looked at.

Prestia I have put allot of thought into but it Jayden Pitt available I just couldn't go past him. With some many other great midfielders I think Pitt would fit perfectly into an already strong team. Give him time and space and he is deadly by foot.

Going to respectfully disagree with you here. I don't think Geelong need to look at pacey types. Last year we picked up Menzel, Duncan and Christensen all pacey types and if we want pacey types we can address that at pick 24 and 30 odd.

Watson actually reminds me a bit of Hurley. Many people were calling him to slow and he turned out allright. I dont think that will be a problem for Watson so i still take him at 15 if available. So a Watson, Pitt and Prestia grab for our first 3 selections takes cares of needs (a defender) and a bit of pace and class.

What would we know anyway, but in Wells we trust.

I don't know any of the draftees for a bar of soap in terms of game style but how would someone comparable to both Luke Hodge & Brendan Goddard fall to pick 8??? While a Jarrad Grant is at pick 5?

Because he's describing playing style/positions, not ability. Hodge/Goddard would (presumably) be a utility type player that's can hold down KPD if needed, but can also go through the midfield, while Grant is an athletic tall type. Lynch might turn out to be a better Grant, which you might want to take over a worse Goddard.

Watson is an interesting one. Some are going as far as to say he is a 2nd rounder. I really like Watson but I think Geelong will be looking at more pacy types. Smedts while nice one on one has some real class and a little bit of speed. Geelong looked really exposed in the finals against Collingwood's speed around the ground so I think they are going to top up with some relatively speedy types.

Watson probably doesn't suit the Geelong team all that well. My feeling with him is that he might get a little exposed on the lead with his relative lack of speed. In a team who zone off well and have midfielders regularly pushing back like Hawthorn and St Kilda would probably be better fits for Watson.

Adressed their key position defense needs to an extent with Tape who for mine is an ideal Tom Harley type replacement. I'm aware Scarlett is nearing the end but for Geelong I'd probably hold off and trade into or go after a mature option when they need to. They have every opportunity to remain competitive and a force of the competition, so I'd recommend they continue to go for it while their veterains are still around. These players are mostly complimentry to their excisting players, and then at a later date replacements should be looked at.

I have no doubt that we'll take Smedts if he's there at 15, because h's all class, and a typical Wells pick, but if he and Caddy are gone (as may happen given GC has 8 picks before us) then Watson will be very much in the frame.

To me, and this is just my opinion, but Tape is very good, but I don't think he'll develop enough size wise to be a full back, and we need another tall defender. Particularly when Gillies is your more slender but extremely quick closing speed defender, it makes sense to select another defender of a different type, particularly the big bodied type, which Watson is. While I have concerns about him possibly being the next Tom Hawkins (i.e. dominates as a teenager due to size but once he gets to AFL where the size difference is nullified, doesn't have enough tricks to have a lot of room for improvement) he's the logical pick. We certainly won't wait to trade into a quality key defender...that's very hard to do, and Carlton's inability to do it shows the problems you run into if you can't pull it off, so I have no doubt we'll draft one.

In regards to the speed, we were exposed by Collingwood (as we keep discussing on our board) because we played the old slow guys, Ling and Corey in particular, and didn't play the quick kids. We don't really need to draft them, we just need to play the ones we have.

Hunt and Motlop in the 08 draft addressed our speed needs, and ditto Christensen and Duncan last year.

I think the simple answer thus is with 6 picks we'll probably take both (i.e. speedy mids and a key defender) but the latter is much more of a need and a priority given what currently does and doesn't reside on our list.

Smedts will be one of those looked at with pick 15.

Caddy is shaping as a top 10 pick. Wouldn't personally take him in this range, but all indications are after a surprisingly good draft combine that he will be in this very high range. If available certainly would be looked at.

But don't be disappointed with Lester or Tape. Both could go in the 2nd round. So considering they are available they are more selections based on value more than being the best fits.

For Geelong maybe a Kyle Hartigan might get looked at with a late or rookie selection. Very good key position defender who is very good one on one.

Yeah, I'm frustrated by Caddy's draft camp, because he won't slide to 15 now ;)

Still be happy with Smedts though.

I'm sure Hartigan will be looked at, probably rookie draft (although we may only have 2 or 3 live selections in the rookie draft). I would think, given Scarlett is likely to retire in 1-2 years, and be replaced by Gillies, leaving us no key defenders in reserve (Lonergan's ok but at 26 he's not a long term solution) that we'll take one defender in the ND, and one in the RD, just to cover our bases.

We might go down the road of a big key defender, and then with the other pick, a more mobile 3rd type, considering Enright is nearing the wrong side of 30. Tape, among others, could be a good fit here.

Excellent mock mate, well done.

I think Josh Green will go the next pick, to Melbourne.

Have heard they were very, very impressed with his interview and are wuite keen on picking him up.

Does not reflect how good the player is. Just based more so on some of the attributes posessed.

While it might sound favourable to say it is better to look like Nick Riewoldt than it is to look like Jarrad Grant, it is not to any extent reflective of how good or otherwise the player is. It is purely based on style of play.

Going to respectfully disagree with you here. I don't think Geelong need to look at pacey types. Last year we picked up Menzel, Duncan and Christensen all pacey types and if we want pacey types we can address that at pick 24 and 30 odd.

Watson actually reminds me a bit of Hurley. Many people were calling him to slow and he turned out allright. I dont think that will be a problem for Watson so i still take him at 15 if available. So a Watson, Pitt and Prestia grab for our first 3 selections takes cares of needs (a defender) and a bit of pace and class.

What would we know anyway, but in Wells we trust.

Not all these selections are speedy, but Geelong have expressed interest in injecting some speed into the midfield. Have heard from nearly all reports in relation to Geelong this offseason that this is the case.

The selections if anything are more top quality sliders who are worth allot more than where selected.

For example Jayden Pitt is not all that speedy, but is more a player with outstanding skill by foot and great evasive skills. He is a player who in a good team would thrive and given space and time he can be deadly. So from a pure "fit" standpoint I could not think of a better selection.

Smedts again while speedy isn't a pure athlete and again if anything more of a pure footballer than anything. Great one on one, but notable also are his flair and ability to execute under pressure. Very versatile and can play either end.

Both very much complimentary players for mine who would be ideal fits for your team and ideal players to inject to compliment your excisting players.

Watson is very much like Hurley. I am a fan and like him more than I like McCarthy frankly. The fact that he is an immediate player is appealing, but on style I'm not convinced he is the best pick for Geelong.

For defenders there might even be someone suitable in the rookie draft.

Will still edit selections and perhaps I find an appropriate fit down back. But for now I think going best available fits is the right approach. Same with ruckman. So I wouldn't be super concerned.

Because he's describing playing style/positions, not ability. Hodge/Goddard would (presumably) be a utility type player that's can hold down KPD if needed, but can also go through the midfield, while Grant is an athletic tall type. Lynch might turn out to be a better Grant, which you might want to take over a worse Goddard.

:thumbsu:

Pretty much it.

When he was interviewed a couple of weeks ago Wells said our draft priorities were speedy mids and key defenders, so I think it's fair to say both will feature prominently in our selections, though I doubt our first 3 picks will be solely on one or the other, they'll be a mix of both.

Side point knightmare, where do you rate Guthrie? I like him, but I'm having trouble predicting how high he might or might not go.

Yeah, I'm frustrated by Caddy's draft camp, because he won't slide to 15 now ;)

Still be happy with Smedts though.

I'm sure Hartigan will be looked at, probably rookie draft (although we may only have 2 or 3 live selections in the rookie draft). I would think, given Scarlett is likely to retire in 1-2 years, and be replaced by Gillies, leaving us no key defenders in reserve (Lonergan's ok but at 26 he's not a long term solution) that we'll take one defender in the ND, and one in the RD, just to cover our bases.

We might go down the road of a big key defender, and then with the other pick, a more mobile 3rd type, considering Enright is nearing the wrong side of 30. Tape, among others, could be a good fit here.

I've really liked Lonergan and along with Giles and Taylor I don't have a huge problem with that defence.

Scarlett has been great and I think he will continue to be good. I expect once he retires for Geelong to trade into a replacement full back.

This draft while it is cherry ripe when it comes to key position forwards, there are few key position defenders of great value.

There will be a couple look at. No doubt. But my guess is as a late/ rookie selection due to the relative lack of quality.

Excellent mock mate, well done.

I think Josh Green will go the next pick, to Melbourne.

Have heard they were very, very impressed with his interview and are wuite keen on picking him up.

Melbourne have a need for quality key position players, and with players of other positions being the better available selections at 12 I expect pick 32 will be for a key position player.

Melbourne have a need for quality key position players, and with players of other positions being the better available selections at 12 I expect pick 32 will be for a key position player.

Yeah, fair enough. Do realise this. Just what I've heard in regard to Green!

Do you think Carlton are a cert to take Watson? Any chance he will slip to the brown and gold in your opinion?

When he was interviewed a couple of weeks ago Wells said our draft priorities were speedy mids and key defenders, so I think it's fair to say both will feature prominently in our selections, though I doubt our first 3 picks will be solely on one or the other, they'll be a mix of both.

Side point knightmare, where do you rate Guthrie? I like him, but I'm having trouble predicting how high he might or might not go.

Will not the comments of Wells. I view your backline as probably the area in the need of the biggest upgrade. So I'm looking at Smedts and Jacobs with pick 15 as the two possibilities.

At 23 Pitt as a midfielder I feel will be a star. But if not available then I think Lucas Cook might be the selection. He is a key position forward/ defender. Probably at this stage more of a forward, but I don't see why he can't be developed into a key position defender.

I've heard AFL club recruiters consider Guthrie a mid 1st rounder. So he is likely to go in the 14-16 type area.

In my personal rankings I don't rate Guthrie quite so high and view him as more of a 2nd rounder myself, but that's just my personal preference and I'm trying to reflect in this draft more so what AFL clubs might be thinking as opposed to my personal thoughts.
I think in that range there are a fair few more talented players and my belief is those defensive types come best as late draft or rookie selections anyway. So personally I wouldn't pay a 1st rounder to get him.

Yeah, fair enough. Do realise this. Just what I've heard in regard to Green!

Do you think Carlton are a cert to take Watson? Any chance he will slip to the brown and gold in your opinion?

Yes. Green will be looked at by a number of clubs. Melbourne included. No reason why he won't end up there. But I think Brisbane might be even more keen at 31 and beat Melbourne to it.

Watson could slide to Hawthorn's selection, in which case he would be a great pickup and a really nice fit into the team as a big bodied key position defender. If you would have asked me a month or two ago I probably would have said minimal chance, but with some considering Watson a 2nd rounder, there is every chance he will be available at 19. But other alternatives will have to be arranged because his availability is far from certain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've really liked Lonergan and along with Giles and Taylor I don't have a huge problem with that defence.

Scarlett has been great and I think he will continue to be good. I expect once he retires for Geelong to trade into a replacement full back.

This draft while it is cherry ripe when it comes to key position forwards, there are few key position defenders of great value.

There will be a couple look at. No doubt. But my guess is as a late/ rookie selection due to the relative lack of quality.

I actually think that (Scarlett will retire at the end of next year, or at the latest the year after) our trading priority will be ruckman-with Ottens almost done, the interchange rule having ended Blake's career (thanks afl :thumbsdown:) and one of Simpson or West not likely to survive beyond next year, we will desperately need a ruckman (Vardy will be very good down the track but he is just a baby) and that's where our salary cap and trading priority will be, because we'll need it for round 1 2012.

On the other hand, as you correctly identify, Lonergan's a decent stop gap and Gillies will be AFL ready soon, so we need more key defenders but it's more a "stockpile for a couple of years from now" need hence I think we'll draft them this year and do just that.

I'm interested that you're worried about the depth of key backs...do you think that beyond Watson and McCarthy, there's not much quality? Or do you just think the good ones aren't big enough for the key spots.

Will not the comments of Wells. I view your backline as probably the area in the need of the biggest upgrade. So I'm looking at Smedts and Jacobs with pick 15 as the two possibilities.

At 23 Pitt as a midfielder I feel will be a star. But if not available then I think Lucas Cook might be the selection. He is a key position forward/ defender. Probably at this stage more of a forward, but I don't see why he can't be developed into a key position defender.

I've heard AFL club recruiters consider Guthrie a mid 1st rounder. So he is likely to go in the 14-16 type area.

In my personal rankings I don't rate Guthrie quite so high and view him as more of a 2nd rounder myself, but that's just my personal preference and I'm trying to reflect in this draft more so what AFL clubs might be thinking as opposed to my personal thoughts.
I think in that range there are a fair few more talented players and my belief is those defensive types come best as late draft or rookie selections anyway. So personally I wouldn't pay a 1st rounder to get him.

I like Smedts, all quality, and versatile, which Wells likes (see Menzel last year)...the fact that he's local helps too.

Pitt looks a likely type but I wouldn't be unhappy with Cook, however like I said if Watson slides into the 20's I think that's where we have to go.

I like the look of Guthrie and our other need is a lockdown player, be it small defender, or replacement for Ling, so I'm interested to see where he'll end up. I think good role players like him tend to go later (we are in agreement on that) but I reckon it's too optimistic to say he'll be there at our three third round picks, but it would be nice if he was.

Knightmare,

Are you happy with Collingwoods picks according to you Phantom Draft?

A great draft for Collingwood would be:
44: Joel Wilkinson
45: Sam Crocker
60: Tom Hickey

But unfortunately things don't work out that well.

This is more a type of draft I think Collingwood would be aiming to have and these are some of the likely names I think we will target at each of our selections based on who I think will be available.

I actually think that (Scarlett will retire at the end of next year, or at the latest the year after) our trading priority will be ruckman-with Ottens almost done, the interchange rule having ended Blake's career (thanks afl :thumbsdown:) and one of Simpson or West not likely to survive beyond next year, we will desperately need a ruckman (Vardy will be very good down the track but he is just a baby) and that's where our salary cap and trading priority will be, because we'll need it for round 1 2012.

On the other hand, as you correctly identify, Lonergan's a decent stop gap and Gillies will be AFL ready soon, so we need more key defenders but it's more a "stockpile for a couple of years from now" need hence I think we'll draft them this year and do just that.

I'm interested that you're worried about the depth of key backs...do you think that beyond Watson and McCarthy, there's not much quality? Or do you just think the good ones aren't big enough for the key spots.

I like Smedts, all quality, and versatile, which Wells likes (see Menzel last year)...the fact that he's local helps too.

Pitt looks a likely type but I wouldn't be unhappy with Cook, however like I said if Watson slides into the 20's I think that's where we have to go.

I like the look of Guthrie and our other need is a lockdown player, be it small defender, or replacement for Ling, so I'm interested to see where he'll end up. I think good role players like him tend to go later (we are in agreement on that) but I reckon it's too optimistic to say he'll be there at our three third round picks, but it would be nice if he was.

After Watson + McCarthy the quality does taper off.

McCarthy I'm not a huge fan of. Very athletic and could become a very good player, but he feels at the moment too much like a Grant Birchall in defence who almost plays like an oversized half back flanker. My hope with him would be that he develops more into a Ben Reid type.

Watson of the key position defenders is my preference of the pair, but for Geelong I think a late/rookie selection and a moderately priced key position defender like a Matthew Warnock for example if he isn't getting opportunities might be a type of player I'd look at as a Scarlett replacement.

Ruckman I don't view as a huge problem. Blake, Simpson and West are all fine. If a top quality guy becomes available then that can be looked at, but 3 serviceable ruckman is fine. Probably a rookie project ruckman could be added to this, but don't view it as a huge priority.

lynch at 5 :eek: that would send the brisbane board into meltdown LOL

as crazy as it seems i could see it happen

but as chopperduck mentioned earlier in the thread we have been pretty much guaranteed to take a mid at 5 whether it be gaff or heppell

but as you did mention there are plenty of good mids around 25-31 but brisbane really are in dire needs for midfielders

what are your thoughts on ben duscher and callum sinclair? i think they especially duscher would suit brisbane to a tee

Good job Knight, very different from the same 30 players rearranged :thumbsu:

If Essendon pick up Atley AND Parker, Essendon would get an A++++ for there drafting, hope Parker's "down" year coasts him to Essendon at Pick 30..

Just a couple of things you have mentioned (as you well know I love my VFL footy more so than the TAC cup [stuffed if I know why :D]) but you spoke about Russell Gabriel being one looked at.

Have heard several clubs are into him as he has (rumor mill only) grown to the ripe height of 200cm for a ruckmen up from his reported 195-196cm days at Dandenong.

His contested marking is a key to his game and resembles fresh Swan Shane Mumford in the way he goes about his footy.

Gabriel is a real hustle and bustle type ruckmen who will not shy from a contest and could 'potentially' be ready to go for a round 1 guernsey next year.

His skills are very good for a big man and actually gets a bit of it around the ground which would propel him further up some peoples rankings.

FWIW, at 22 he still has so much learning to do and would be a real find if someone was to take him in the National Draft.

You also mention young Kyle Hartigan from Werribee. He had a very good year after starting the season in the reserves was given a call up to the struggling ones side and never looked back. He had an outstanding game on Frosty Miller Medalist Matt Little in the Tigers upset win in round 13 (i think it was) and also had a couple of very solid games for a fresh senior debutant.

His skills are ok, but you can tell he is certainly before anything else, went forward a couple of times this year and failed to really show his full artillery in front of goal.

He is very good one on one and excels at reading the ball in general play especially floating as a third man up.

I would actually be surprised to see him fall to the rookie draft, with such an emphasis on 'best available' this year, surely Hartigan would be in the top 70 prospects in the country.

Would also like to commend you on where you rate young Michael Hibberd, at 20 years of age, his rapid improvement has seen him become one of the better VFL prospects going further and playing AFL (even a starter in round 1, 2011).

Any ways, good read and definitely something a bit different.

Would love to see this draft pan out as you have it, but highly doubt it will happen (although very well could happen). Every year throws up bolters and sliders, this year is no different.

Just a last note: At Essendon's 2nd pick, we are going to get a very good highly rated midfielder that slides, look at some of the names that are being bantied around as pick 30 or later.

Am excited, and draft day is still so far away :(

Round 1, 2011 is even further... bring back the FOOTY :D

From Longmire's comments about needing to strengthen the midfield and his pursuit of Sherman, I'd expect the Swans to target at least one, maybe two midfield-sized runners with the first three picks at least. You have us taking two undersized key position players with our first two picks and then a player I don't know much about but I believe is a small forward.

I've not seen any of these kids play, but Josh Green seems to have the attributes that would appeal to what Longmire says he wants, and it has been reported that the Swans were impressed with Conca at draft camp (and I think he's a Swans fan too!)

but as chopperduck mentioned earlier in the thread we have been pretty much guaranteed to take a mid at 5 whether it be gaff or heppell

but as you did mention there are plenty of good mids around 25-31 but brisbane really are in dire needs for midfielders

what are your thoughts on ben duscher and callum sinclair? i think they especially duscher would suit brisbane to a tee

I agree, we were short of quality mids before sherman, Risky, & Brennan bailed out of the den...now those guys are gone we need mids more then ever

Lynch is an interesting one but I do expect he will be a real riser in the order over the next month, I think Brisbane will consider it, whether it happens is another thing. Could go as high as 5. But Gaff/Heppell are probably the favourites at this stage at pick 5.

25-31 there are a number of mids who I think might slide into that range and be good value selections. So even in the scenario Brisbane did selection Lynch early there is a good chance you could stag a quality mid in that range.

Duscher was a standout in the VFL for Bendigo and is every chance to get rookie listed by a club with an outside chance to go in the main draft. One to watch out for.

Sinclair I expect to go in the national draft, and start to come onto the radar of clubs in the 3rd round. Melbourne amongst a few other clubs have expressed serious interest in the tall forward.

Both could be potential fits for Brisbane. But don't know their level of interest in either.

Good job Knight, very different from the same 30 players rearranged :thumbsu:

If Essendon pick up Atley AND Parker, Essendon would get an A++++ for there drafting, hope Parker's "down" year coasts him to Essendon at Pick 30..

I would actually be surprised to see him fall to the rookie draft, with such an emphasis on 'best available' this year, surely Hartigan would be in the top 70 prospects in the country.

Would also like to commend you on where you rate young Michael Hibberd, at 20 years of age, his rapid improvement has seen him become one of the better VFL prospects going further and playing AFL (even a starter in round 1, 2011).

Any ways, good read and definitely something a bit different.

Would love to see this draft pan out as you have it, but highly doubt it will happen (although very well could happen). Every year throws up bolters and sliders, this year is no different.

Just a last note: At Essendon's 2nd pick, we are going to get a very good highly rated midfielder that slides, look at some of the names that are being bantied around as pick 30 or later.

Am excited, and draft day is still so far away :(

Round 1, 2011 is even further... bring back the FOOTY :D

This would be the dream draft for Essendon wouldn't it? Atley if available is pretty much a guy who can't be passed up.

Then Parker is the same all over again. Really great value selection who will be able to play in season 1, and play well. But I do feel he has fallen down the draft order, so don't discount it.

Great info on Gabriel. Noted.
Know Hartigan's game well and he is every chance also. One thing which interests me is whether the Gold Coast will choose to prelist him. If they haven't it is almost a wonder why no club traded into him during trade week.

There will be a number of other quality midfielders available with your 2nd rounder. Amongst those who might slide include: Parker, Guthrie, Conca, then the more likely to be available selection is Hallahan. They are the ones to watch with that selection as possibilities.

From Longmire's comments about needing to strengthen the midfield and his pursuit of Sherman, I'd expect the Swans to target at least one, maybe two midfield-sized runners with the first three picks at least. You have us taking two undersized key position players with our first two picks and then a player I don't know much about but I believe is a small forward.

I've not seen any of these kids play, but Josh Green seems to have the attributes that would appeal to what Longmire says he wants, and it has been reported that the Swans were impressed with Conca at draft camp (and I think he's a Swans fan too!)

A bit of love going our to Josh Green. It was interesting to hear during the draft combine many clubs viewed Green as a mid draft guy. I think he has moved up the standings but I don't think he will crack the 1st round.

Conca I think is every chance for the Sydney selection and will be high on the list at 21. Just with Darling sliding I think he is an interesting selection as a forward/midfield option.

Will have to restructure many of the Sydney selections. Darling while considered a forward very much thinks of himself as a capable midfielder.
But I do look to squeeze in another midfielder into one of the Sydney selections (probably 39) next time I update because I do view it a higher order need.

#24 (St. Kilda) – Scott Lycett (SA)
Height: 202cm, Weight: 95kg, DOB: 26/09/1992
Recruited from: Port Adelaide
Style: Dean Cox
Range: 6-19
Why: Good hands. For his height, very agile and has great mobility. I don’t think he will lose much athleticism as he adds muscle. After Gorringe, Lycett is the other standout ruckman and the only other ruckman in the 1st round conversation. At this stage a good value selection and with the way Port Adelaide have drafted since their existence with the way they have valued ruckman over the years and with Coach Matthew Primus now in charge I think he would like this selection allot.
I take it you changed your mind on who would pick up Lycett?

I take it you changed your mind on who would pick up Lycett?

Please note: (up the very top of the post)

*Some serious editing to come. Since the last draft I made have added in all new draft positions and adjusted player positions accordingly, but have not adjusted player descriptions.
Will adjust player descriptions + add more descriptions up to probably the end of the 4th round when I next get the chance.

Plan to get stuck into editing descriptions and adding more over the weekend if I find the time.

Conca I think is every chance for the Sydney selection and will be high on the list at 21. Just with Darling sliding I think he is an interesting selection as a forward/midfield option.

Respect your thinking re Darling's possible future position, though with Rohan and now Everitt already on our list as tall players who might play through the midfield or might become slightly undersized KPP types, I suspect that makes him even less of a priority type (though clearly "best available" comes into play, especially for the earlier picks). From what I've seen of Lewis Johnston, I also wonder if he isn't best suited to a high-half-forward role (a taller version of ROK) than a true key forward, at least for the next year or three.

Out of interest, how quick is Conca?

Respect your thinking re Darling's possible future position, though with Rohan and now Everitt already on our list as tall players who might play through the midfield or might become slightly undersized KPP types, I suspect that makes him even less of a priority type (though clearly "best available" comes into play, especially for the earlier picks). From what I've seen of Lewis Johnston, I also wonder if he isn't best suited to a high-half-forward role (a taller version of ROK) than a true key forward, at least for the next year or three.

Out of interest, how quick is Conca?

Interesting to hear.

I have been toying with the idea of Conca at 21 for some time. Darling at 21 is a best available type big coup. Would be interesting as to where he would slide to if indeed he does slide further.

Conca isn't super quick, but I'd describe him as deceptively quick. He is a type who is hard over the ball. Has midfield potential but can play wherever he is needed comfortably. Certainly a good fit, so will certainly if available be closely considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back