Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2011 Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks neddy. I remember Persinos playing U18s for Norwood with Gavin Roberts a few years back. So I assumed he had to be this year. Although he is only small, I thought he was deserving of a state screening invite. Might not be the biggest player, but he is quick and smart around goals.

Thanks neddy. I remember Persinos playing U18s for Norwood with Gavin Roberts a few years back. So I assumed he had to be this year. Although he is only small, I thought he was deserving of a state screening invite. Might not be the biggest player, but he is quick and smart around goals.

Yeah he is tiny but he knows how to use it well. Have lost count at the amount of "high" free kicks he has received this year. Knows where the goals are too.

It will be interesting to see how he tests and whether he will improve on his 2.97sec 20m time and 8.12sec agility.

Richards was quite good for Sandy in the TAC Cup Grand Final last week, was very strong over head and kicked 2 nice goals before going to the backline where he was solid. Might be a shot to get into the National draft now....got injured late in the game so his second half he had little impact and game time...but could come into calculations late...thoughts?

Late chance.

If not hopefully will get a shot as a rookie.

Really good effort Knightmare :thumbsu:

Two KPD's for the dogs maybe a bit unlikely in the main draft though, I believe we're pretty into Jack Frost from Williamstown and we will probably use a rookie pick on him.

Anyway I just noticed how high you have Fraser McInness and Waylen Manson. I'd like to get some footage of these two. Having never seen him, but I'm not sure Manson will go that high given his background. Guys like this generally hate the lifestyle in Melbourne especially when the cold winters come. Zeph Skinner had a good start to the season then he really tappered off when the winter months came around. Liam Jurrah is a bit of a rarity really. Anyway I'm not sure clubs willl want to risk a first round draft on something that could very easily be a flop.

The one question mark from a Melbourne point of view is taking 3 or 4 guys above 190cm's.

It's a bit unrealistic IMO, especially considering all our picks last year were talls.

How to view the draft

Was wondering what time the 24/11/2011 draft commences.

Also is it viewable on a website, or do you have to have pay tv.
:confused:

Re: How to view the draft

Really good effort Knightmare :thumbsu:

Two KPD's for the dogs maybe a bit unlikely in the main draft though, I believe we're pretty into Jack Frost from Williamstown and we will probably use a rookie pick on him.

Anyway I just noticed how high you have Fraser McInness and Waylen Manson. I'd like to get some footage of these two. Having never seen him, but I'm not sure Manson will go that high given his background. Guys like this generally hate the lifestyle in Melbourne especially when the cold winters come. Zeph Skinner had a good start to the season then he really tappered off when the winter months came around. Liam Jurrah is a bit of a rarity really. Anyway I'm not sure clubs willl want to risk a first round draft on something that could very easily be a flop.

Jack Frost wouldn't be a bad rookie choice. Was unlucky last year. Will be shuffling all the selections around more still so probably won't have the two KPPs from two selections, but with that said would look at it if the quality is there. With Lake likely to move forward next season and long term list of key backman is very slim, think WBD should take at least 2 KPDs between both drafts.

Fraser McInness is one of the better talls in this years draft. Should feature late 1st - 2nd round.

Manson is a curious one. To be honest with you haven't seen Manson either. But have heard about his talent and his production if you look at his stats card is absolutely unbelieveable. Very keen to see footage of him.
If I was Carlton would absolutely look at him with that pick 23 because he is the only really talented enough full forward option who could take them to a premiership post Fevola. Is the only single player who could be that final piece in their puzzle which is why I think he could be a hell of a selection for Carlton. Carlton have the resources to make it work and also with the likes of Betts and Garlett up forward then Yarran also I think he could be well supported and potentially fit in ok.

The one question mark from a Melbourne point of view is taking 3 or 4 guys above 190cm's.

It's a bit unrealistic IMO, especially considering all our picks last year were talls.

Don't think drafting tall is necessarily a bad thing. Obviously Melb last year loaded up on KPPs. Most of these aren't KPPs.
+ Next year you will be going shorter - Jack Viney. So don't necessarily see height as being an issue. Always allot easier to draft quality short players than it is high level medium size types.

But will be shuffling around selections anyway so chances are next update I won't have you have so many talls anyway.

Full marks on a great read. Outstanding.

I know you'll shuffle selections around, but looking purely as an Essendon fan, Kerridge at #59 would be a ridiculous steal. I haven't watched TAC this year so i have little to compare him against, but i did see his VFL games live and he looks like a solid AFL prospect at worst. I reckon anyone who drafts him is on safe ground to get a reasonable player, minimum. Imo, if he's a third round selection, then the draft pool must be a lot better than many think.

Hi Knightmare, great effort again this year! I'm interested to know who you think would've taken Jarrod Witts if he wasn't zoned to Collingwood and about what range he would go? Also, would he be taken on a needs basis, or would he go as a best available?

Full marks on a great read. Outstanding.

I know you'll shuffle selections around, but looking purely as an Essendon fan, Kerridge at #59 would be a ridiculous steal. I haven't watched TAC this year so i have little to compare him against, but i did see his VFL games live and he looks like a solid AFL prospect at worst. I reckon anyone who drafts him is on safe ground to get a reasonable player, minimum. Imo, if he's a third round selection, then the draft pool must be a lot better than many think.

Kerridge could be a 2nd/3rd rounder. Certainly can play and there is a fair bit to like. Caught one or two go his games playing at VFL level also and did not look out of place.
TAC production has been very good throughout the season and is well worth a shot in the national draft.

Many teams will use minimal picks. Many of those clubs don't rate this years draft - I don't dislike it.
But the bigger reason why clubs are going minimal picks is because next year will be an inredibly strong draft and clubs will be striking gold everywhere.

Hi Knightmare, great effort again this year! I'm interested to know who you think would've taken Jarrod Witts if he wasn't zoned to Collingwood and about what range he would go? Also, would he be taken on a needs basis, or would he go as a best available?

Think Witts would have gone 10-30. Is fairly new to the game but is a 209cm, 114kg unit who has the physical presence he has a serious physical presence and can take big grabs, uses his body well, crashes packs and has an influence on the contest.
Would rival Bolger as the 2nd most desirable ruckman in this draft class.
Think Richmond would have looked very seriously with pick 14 at him since their ruck division is lacking that serious ruck presence.

As mentioned above unlikely Hawthorn select him at all. At this stage looks likely that they only have the two "live selections" with the rookie upgrade as the 3rd selection.

Doesn't even look like a consideration right now interestingly.

Open market Curran goes.

KM , Do they rate him at all or is it just they don't need his type as much as they need a mature player?

If the Hawks did rate him ,they would be constrained due to the fact that FS must use their natural picks. So perhaps they want to be active with trades and they may want all their picks to be available to be extra flexible. Then after trading , who knows , they may have picks available that were not theirs originally which they can grab him with. Of course maybe they don't need another long term tall , they may feel they want a "Lake" or a "Warnock" type player to plug and play.

Either way , I think he would fit Geelongs needs. Look at Geelongs list we will lose a lot of talls the next two years Milburn, Scarlett, Ottens, Blake, Mooney, Drum...even Mackie and Lonergan are not young.

So as he is not a FS pick now , where do you think he may go?

Jack Frost wouldn't be a bad rookie choice. Was unlucky last year. Will be shuffling all the selections around more still so probably won't have the two KPPs from two selections, but with that said would look at it if the quality is there. With Lake likely to move forward next season and long term list of key backman is very slim, think WBD should take at least 2 KPDs between both drafts.

Fraser McInness is one of the better talls in this years draft. Should feature late 1st - 2nd round.

The coach stated on radio last week that Lake will play in defence. We we're going to rookie Frost last year, but he failed a medico. Looks like he's over his injuries now.

My suggestion is you look at a running small/medium defender. Murphy is getting old, Gilbee is pretty well past it, Hargrave is old and injury prone, Harbrow has left us and Howard and Tutt both seem to be developing into wingman (because they are not great defensively). Murphy was really the only one that gave us any sort of run this year.

KM , Do they rate him at all or is it just they don't need his type as much as they need a mature player?

If the Hawks did rate him ,they would be constrained due to the fact that FS must use their natural picks. So perhaps they want to be active with trades and they may want all their picks to be available to be extra flexible. Then after trading , who knows , they may have picks available that were not theirs originally which they can grab him with. Of course maybe they don't need another long term tall , they may feel they want a "Lake" or a "Warnock" type player to plug and play.

Either way , I think he would fit Geelongs needs. Look at Geelongs list we will lose a lot of talls the next two years Milburn, Scarlett, Ottens, Blake, Mooney, Drum...even Mackie and Lonergan are not young.

So as he is not a FS pick now , where do you think he may go?

The news is that he isn't rated inside their top 45. So they probably just don't think he is the right KPP.

One option Hawthorn might persue is a trade for Tim Mohr (Mature age KPD) via GWS.

Curran should feature in the 2nd/3rd round. If Geelong want could be a good get in the 2nd round - if available.

Geelong will have a few options KPD options. McInness, Frost, Tomlinson, Curran, Boseley and Bussey could be options in the 1st/2nd round. Will take at least one with either the 1st/2nd rounder you'd think this year.

The coach stated on radio last week that Lake will play in defence. We we're going to rookie Frost last year, but he failed a medico. Looks like he's over his injuries now.

My suggestion is you look at a running small/medium defender. Murphy is getting old, Gilbee is pretty well past it, Hargrave is old and injury prone, Harbrow has left us and Howard and Tutt both seem to be developing into wingman (because they are not great defensively). Murphy was really the only one that gave us any sort of run this year.

For WBD would just look to load up on defenders in general. Some combination of KPDs + smalls and mediums. Would have to be the priorities since the whole backline is getting on. Maybe a Talia then a Forster.
Certainly the minimum of two KPDs.
Outside players and forwards can be added as rookies or in later years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting to see you went for Buntine at 6 for the PAFC. Sorry if some of the other guys have asked but whats your thinking on going for Buntine over one of the very good mids still about.

I'd be extremely surprised as we are screaming out for a skilled midfielder ie: Tyson, Wingard, WHE, Kavanagh, Greene...

Good stuff anyway!

Love your work, write-ups and knowledge of most draft prospects :thumbsu:

I think the Saints need to use their first pick on an inside midfielder to complement Steven in the future years. If we're looking for the best clearance players for our first pick, who do you think will be available? And who would be your preferred pick at that stage?

Longer has pinged a hamstring. According to Emma Quayle so he wont be able to do much testing.

Not good news. Shouldn't effect his draft rating hugely you wouldn't think.
With GWS needing a ruckman you'd still think he goes top 10.

Any info on severity?

Interesting to see you went for Buntine at 6 for the PAFC. Sorry if some of the other guys have asked but whats your thinking on going for Buntine over one of the very good mids still about.

I'd be extremely surprised as we are screaming out for a skilled midfielder ie: Tyson, Wingard, WHE, Kavanagh, Greene...

Good stuff anyway!

Still shuffling the draft positions. Buntine was there on a best available basis and think he was the better of the talents I had available.

Wingard or Tyson would be optimal but Buntine/Kavanagh or possibly Hoskin-Elliot would be the better of the other possibilities.

Have since updated and have Kavanagh going to PA since i've moved Buntine up to 5.
Will probably be different next week so best just to keep an eye out from those in that 3-9 type range. Your selecion should come somewhere from there.

Love your work, write-ups and knowledge of most draft prospects :thumbsu:

I think the Saints need to use their first pick on an inside midfielder to complement Steven in the future years. If we're looking for the best clearance players for our first pick, who do you think will be available? And who would be your preferred pick at that stage?

As inside mids Waldhuter or Grigg would be optimal if one is available. Waldhuter as a Dangerfield really hard inside type - still has good speed + kicking ability as well as great tackling ability but his attack on the footy is the highlight of his game. Grigg is probably a bigger accumulator and has an even better and more penetrating kick. Both very ready made and can have an impact from next year no worries.

Greene, Adams, Nelson. Kerridge and C.Smith probably more 2nd rounders would be the other options if looking for inside mids.

Does Hayden Crozier have a brother?
[youtube]Vqmiq8HEMXg&feature=related[/youtube]

Don't think they are related. Looks to be playing for Old Carey.
Could be 20 or so years of age, so probably not really a likely draft option - unless form has been off the charts - which I don't have information of.

Where do you think Michael Ialeggio will go Knightmare? Rookie Draft selection, or late ND?

On the short side. Mids of that size not usually drafted unless absolute standouts.
Realistically rookie-undrafted.

Not good news. Shouldn't effect his draft rating hugely you wouldn't think.
With GWS needing a ruckman you'd still think he goes top 10.

Any info on severity?

Still shuffling the draft positions. Buntine was there on a best available basis and think he was the better of the talents I had available.

Wingard or Tyson would be optimal but Buntine/Kavanagh or possibly Hoskin-Elliot would be the better of the other possibilities.

Have since updated and have Kavanagh going to PA since i've moved Buntine up to 5.
Will probably be different next week so best just to keep an eye out from those in that 3-9 type range. Your selecion should come somewhere from there.

As inside mids Waldhuter or Grigg would be optimal if one is available. Waldhuter as a Dangerfield really hard inside type - still has good speed + kicking ability as well as great tackling ability but his attack on the footy is the highlight of his game. Grigg is probably a bigger accumulator and has an even better and more penetrating kick. Both very ready made and can have an impact from next year no worries.

Greene, Adams, Nelson. Kerridge and C.Smith probably more 2nd rounders would be the other options if looking for inside mids.

Don't think they are related. Looks to be playing for Old Carey.
Could be 20 or so years of age, so probably not really a likely draft option - unless form has been off the charts - which I don't have information of.

On the short side. Mids of that size not usually drafted unless absolute standouts.
Realistically rookie-undrafted.

He should still go top 10. Not sure how bad it is I will PM you if I hear anything.

Knightmare, how do you think Buntine would go as a mid?

I don't get to see these kids play and so am going on a couple of minutes of highlights ... but his hands in close look superb. Seems to be able to hit targets by hand out of packs and is desperate in his attack on the ball and body.

Would he have the engine and all round skills to run through the midfield? Physically he looks like an archetypal big tall mid.

When he was first linked to Port I thought no not another quarterbacking hbf ... but he looks like he could be much more.

I think everyone is getting over excited by Waldhunter's highlights. Besides that fact that literally all of the highlights that he has are either tackles or just barreling his head in, he probably has a 2:1 ratio for the number of possessions he got throughout the championships and the number of highlights he had. I think he had like 2 or 3 4-5 possession games, and the highest he got was like 14. With the big body he has, I don't think his scope for improvement will be very big.

Knightmare, well done on some outstanding draft info. Have you seen much of Elliot Yeo? Haven't seen him mentioned in your draft which surprises me. I think he shows a lot of promise.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back