Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2011 Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey knightmare, if the rumours are true about us trading pick 14 for pick 15 and morris, who do you think we'll get with pick 15 and our 4th rounder (which would've been the pick we'd use to get morris)? Would we still have a shot at nabbing Kavanagh or Greene?

I don't know the details of the move. But if Richmond trade down from pick 14 to pick 15 I'd epect Morris wouldn't need to be taken through F/S meaning by going through with the trade he just goes straight onto your senior list.

1 position different in the draft shouldn't have a huge impact on who you take.

Kavanagh has been spoken about as someone who might slide and be available - and would be far and away be the best selection for Richmond at that stage. Same if Buntine slides - is an absolute must get.
Greene could be available but probably not my first choice.

personally i would like to see st kilda pick a midfielder with their first selection...an inside mid with excellent skills...and a bit of pace...any suggestions...?

tom curran at 54...that'll be a bargain imo...do you still stand by that prediction...? i would love to see st kilda pick him with their second pick.

personally i would like to see st kilda pick a midfielder with their first selection...an inside mid with excellent skills...and a bit of pace...any suggestions...?

tom curran at 54...that'll be a bargain imo...do you still stand by that prediction...? i would love to see st kilda pick him with their second pick.

I considered Tom Sheridan for St.K. Might be one you look at. Skill level good. Pace ok but endurance in that very top percentile.

Also Josh Waldhuter while he probably doesn't go 1st round would be a really nice selection. Attacks the ball as hard as anyone and has good pace + a long kick on him.

Tom Curran I do think is a 2nd-3rd round selection. Is a powerful unit and a very strong mark but really lacks pace. For Melbourne is an appropriate fit since they are looking for that strong forward.

St Kilda could consider Curran in the 2nd round, possibly a couple of better players should still be available though, at that stage if looking for a KPP Curran might be one of the better options and could be worth consideration.

I really cant see Brisbane taking another injured player with our first pick it has not really worked for us in the last two drafts we took Callum Bartlett and Jared Polec with our two last first picks. What makes you think third times a charm I know a lot of members that are not happy to take anymore injured players even if Elliot Kavanagh is a fantastic player I just cant see it what happens if he breaks down again

I really cant see Brisbane taking another injured player with our first pick it has not really worked for us in the last two drafts we took Callum Bartlett and Jared Polec with our two last first picks. What makes you think third times a charm I know a lot of members that are not happy to take anymore injured players even if Elliot Kavanagh is a fantastic player I just cant see it what happens if he breaks down again

Polec was not Injured before the draft was he? and Kavanagh showed the recruiters/scouts more than enough to prove he is over them didnt he? If any of our member regret taking Polec they are very impatient not every top ten pick plays every game and has a massive impact.

Would love someone like Crozier at 19... but is he the kind of midfield type that we are looking for??

Can't wait till trade week to see what picks get swapped around!!!

Disagree. Talia is a quality KPD, and probably one of the best in the draft, but the sheer quantity of quality midfielders this year means we have to go a mid at pick #10. Depending on how high our pick is that we get for Gunston, I think we should use that on the defender, if necessary.

Talia is a quality prospect who will be drafted.

However I have to question the statement that he is a KPD.

Unless he has grown from the listed 191cm (AFL data), he is more a 2nd or 3rd tall.

This has the potential to lower where he is picked up in the 2011 draft.

There are only a few 194cm plus tall defenders, who will be in my opinion be more highly valued than the 190-192cm defenders.

Talia is without a doubt a KPD. And was listed at 194cm this year anyway.

But really, a couple of centimetres means very little. Being less than 190cm hasn't really stopped Josh Gibson, who is the best spoiler in the league. A defensively sound 190cm player is a much better prospect than a defender whose greatest strength is simply being 195cm.

Haven't heard anything about this Jackson Paine?

Can someone fill me in on his position/stranghts/weaknessess

Would the Tigers pick him up with pick 15?

Key forward who can play some mid. CHF/FF primarily.

Lacks the profile of some of the other prospects.

Strong mark. Marks at highest point. Work rate good. and gets to contests. Reads the ball well. Body work good. Skill level good. Can either be the man up forward or a secondary target.

Ok but not great athlete. Maybe not a defined position - but think he can comfortably develop into a key forward no issue.
Not hugely flawed. Just might not come with the flash some other more athletic types come with and is more of a solid citizen.

Hey Knightmare, love your work (and your username gives me chills)

Do you think Brad McKenzie might slip till pick #19 ? since we're lacking a midfielder with good foot skills.

Certainly one I expect Essendon will look at. Is in that general range and might be available. Should land somewhere in the 15-30 type range.

Also think Hayden Crozier and Daniel Markworth might be two of the others Essendon look at with that 1st selection.

Injury as an 17 or 18 year old doesn't mean career injuries.
Chris Judd has done pretty well. So did Joel Selwood. Same with Heppell.
Often it means you can get better value.
Kavanagh I expect will be the same and be that value guy clubs wrongly overlook.

Polec was not Injured before the draft was he? and Kavanagh showed the recruiters/scouts more than enough to prove he is over them didnt he? If any of our member regret taking Polec they are very impatient not every top ten pick plays every game and has a massive impact.

Polec didn't have great injury concerns entering the draft as far as I remember.

Kavanagh has convinced me anyway. Whether he has convinced 18 other clubs will be determined on draft day.

Would love someone like Crozier at 19... but is he the kind of midfield type that we are looking for??

Can't wait till trade week to see what picks get swapped around!!!

Crozier would be a good get. Is that speedy, outside talent with the skill set to add something long term. Expect an inconsistant start, but he should develop that with time.

Stylistically Crozier would be an ideal fit. Think he might be one worth consideration if available.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably been asked many times, but any relation between Brad and Trent McKenzie ?

Not to my knowledge but could be wrong.

How does Devon Smith compare to Dion Prestia from last year? Similar talent-wise?

Prestia is a more solid talent physically - stronger build. Bigger kick.
Smith is the better forward.
Prestia probably the better talent, but different players. Both very good talents for their height and can both go on to have quality AFL careers with work.

Talia is a quality prospect who will be drafted.

However I have to question the statement that he is a KPD.

Unless he has grown from the listed 191cm (AFL data), he is more a 2nd or 3rd tall.

This has the potential to lower where he is picked up in the 2011 draft.

There are only a few 194cm plus tall defenders, who will be in my opinion be more highly valued than the 190-192cm defenders.

Good pickup.

I have Talia listed at 193cm and was listed as that under the u18 champs page, unsure where afl.com got 191cm from. Could be an error.
Interestingly afl.com also have a different birth date to the one I have listed. Would be very interested to know which is correct.
2nd rounder if only 191cm, but then if Talia is really November born, then probably has another couple of cm of growth left in him.

In any case should still be ok. Still a solid prospect and the better of the key defenders this year.

Love your thread every year Knightmare :thumbsu:. Was wondering if you thought Kavanagh has any chance of slipping to #10? I'm not enjoying reading all the renewed love for him! ;)

Still the chance he does make it through to pick 10, without a doubt.

There is some uncertainty around him and is a real unknown in terms of draft position. Some think he could go as low as 25 but on quality would have to go higher. But only takes one to take him.

I'm liking this Crisp kid.Another basketballer/footballer.Did ok in the Combine.Something in the air up Myrtleford way..Ablett was playing there when recruited by Geelong,the rest is history.

I'm liking this Crisp kid.Another basketballer/footballer.Did ok in the Combine.Something in the air up Myrtleford way..Ablett was playing there when recruited by Geelong,the rest is history.

Yes i've liked Crisp's game for a while now. Tackling is in the top couple of this years group. Kicking good + has penetration. Is a nice height and has reasonable positional flexibility.
Wouldn't be surprised to see him go earlier than I have him. Could easily go 2nd round.

Hey mate, rumour on our board a few weeks ago we would draft Doug Morris. I remember you had him in your draft at the beginning. Can u give me some info on him? Is he an extractor type? I know he's a solid body who can get a lot of ball.

Massive winner of the ball at Tac Cup level. Ave around 30 disposals a game. Had a really outstanding season.
The thing with Morris is that he is probably a bully type extrator - dominates TAC Cup level because he is that much bigger and stronger than everyone else.
More of a late/rookie pick if you select him. But might not necessarily be a bad selection.

Tigers should use this draft to add to their midfield depth... any reason you have us only taking 1 mid (3rd rd). I would think that our first pick will definitely be a midfielder.

Also, how come Mitch Grigg has slipped so much. Sure he is not super quick but he AFL ready at 85KGs. Other mids might have to add 5-8 KGS to their frame, which will slow them down too. I dont think clubs will jump off him just because of poor 20m sprint testing

Talia is without a doubt a KPD. And was listed at 194cm this year anyway.

But really, a couple of centimetres means very little. Being less than 190cm hasn't really stopped Josh Gibson, who is the best spoiler in the league. A defensively sound 190cm player is a much better prospect than a defender whose greatest strength is simply being 195cm.

Quoted for truth:thumbsu:

I really like the idea of Essendon getting Josh Waldhuter a quick inside mid who tackles hard this is because although it seems we have a bit of grunt Watson and Hocking are the only ones i would count on 9 times out of 10. One question though i seen people saying he needs to improve on his outside game. Is the problem not getting to the right spots or does he just get caught out ball watching when the pill isn't in his area.

Personally i don't see either as too big of a problem as it can be an easy fix for someone with good pace and skills just interested to know because as you and others have said this is one of the only things keeping him behind grigg.

The other question is over Ben Brown i like the idea of getting him as the 2nd ruck that can go forward. I saw you have written he has great work ethic around the ground but how do you rate his ruck work. This is because although we have Joe Daniher next year there is a good chance Hille might retire then and JD is very light only really leaving us with Bellcambers and Ryder so how do you rate him to come straight in as a 2nd ruck.

Thanks a lot mate

Tigers should use this draft to add to their midfield depth... any reason you have us only taking 1 mid (3rd rd). I would think that our first pick will definitely be a midfielder.

Also, how come Mitch Grigg has slipped so much. Sure he is not super quick but he AFL ready at 85KGs. Other mids might have to add 5-8 KGS to their frame, which will slow them down too. I dont think clubs will jump off him just because of poor 20m sprint testing

Still shuffling the picks around. Could have Richmond taking 3 mids next week. Really depends on who moves up + down the draft order.
Mainly just use it as a guide for some of the players who could be available or go around that particular selection.

Grigg because he is that little bit more physically mature chances are he has less physical development left.
Athletically not great so you can't expect it to ever be all that good.
Also while he is a great accumulator questions on ability to win the contested footy - is ok in this area but probably not quite to the level you'd hope for a high draft pick.

Grigg still looks as a solid selection and still as potential 1st rounder, but don't think he is any longer a top 10, and could very easily slip into the 2nd round.

I really like the idea of Essendon getting Josh Waldhuter a quick inside mid who tackles hard this is because although it seems we have a bit of grunt Watson and Hocking are the only ones i would count on 9 times out of 10. One question though i seen people saying he needs to improve on his outside game. Is the problem not getting to the right spots or does he just get caught out ball watching when the pill isn't in his area.

Personally i don't see either as too big of a problem as it can be an easy fix for someone with good pace and skills just interested to know because as you and others have said this is one of the only things keeping him behind grigg.

The other question is over Ben Brown i like the idea of getting him as the 2nd ruck that can go forward. I saw you have written he has great work ethic around the ground but how do you rate his ruck work. This is because although we have Joe Daniher next year there is a good chance Hille might retire then and JD is very light only really leaving us with Bellcambers and Ryder so how do you rate him to come straight in as a 2nd ruck.

Thanks a lot mate

Waldhuter would be a great selection. As my power rankings indicate he is absolutely someone I would look at early.
Hardness at the footy, kicking skills + penetration and speed all there. But I haven't really heard him being discussed by all that many as a 1st round prospect which those couple of months ago me off his trail a little, even though initially I did have him going 1st round. Certainly should be though because he has most things you'd be looking for.
Certainly outside game needs work, has the attributes but needs to learn how to play more outside - just to complete his game.
Also as an inside player sometimes just needs to better understand when to become a receiver - because at this stage he just always goes at the footy, so maybe reading the situation better and gaining that understand of when a team mate will win the ball and when he needs to win it.
But all very minor type things which can be learned.
One of those who could slip through and really develop into an incredibly high level player. And quickly.
Can recommend and I think whoever drafts him will fall in love with his game very quickly.

Ben Brown's ruck work is not bad. Certainly wouldn't have him playing as a no.1 ruck because he is still physically developing and will never be a dominant ruck. But certainly if thrown in there for up to 25% game time could cope, no issue. The primary strength of Brown when playing in the ruck is that he moves better around the ground and gets more involved in general play.
Brown can also very easily play as a key forward and I probably like him up there more than I do in the ruck because he is so good below the knees
The thing with Brown is that he is still a long term project. So will be another 2-3 years, minimum before he is ready. But if/when he develops because he has such a unique skill set he could be anything.
Richmond, Brisbane and Collingwood would be the main teams who could do with Brown. If Essendon look at a no.2 type ruck who plays key forward to a high level - then Brown should a serious consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back