Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2014 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cal Twomey suggesting De Goey now potentially top 5 at Coll or GWS. Picket in the mix at 6 or 7 and Dan McKenzie top 20. Says Weller and Ellis knocking on the door of the top 10 depending on what the GWS, GC or Geel does with potential talls

Says the first 5 talls will be Goddard, Lever, Marchbank, Wright and Durdin

After McCartin

Last edited:
Cal Twomey suggesting De Goey now potentially top 5 at Coll or GWS. Picket in the mix at 6 or 7 and Dan McKenzie top 20. Says Weller and Ellis knocking on the door of the top 10 depending on what the GWS, GC or Geel does with potential talls

No McCartin?

After McCartin

Cal is talking to the clubs so he'll have a fair idea of what is going on.

I like the Dan McKenzie call and that doesn't surprise me.

Weller and Ellis nearing 10 doesn't shock me either though with Ellis it does leave me scratching my head.

De Goey top 5 is interesting and as a guy with nice size and ability overhead, makes sense that clubs like him. His production doesn't suggest he should be top 5 but that's for clubs to make a call on.

Weller and Ellis nearing 10 doesn't shock me either though with Ellis it does leave me scratching my head.

De Goey top 5 is interesting and as a guy with nice size and ability overhead, makes sense that clubs like him. His production doesn't suggest he should be top 5 but that's for clubs to make a call on.
What do the clubs get out of telling Twomey anything though? I'd be surprised if they tell him much at all and I think most of his info would be second hand.

What do the clubs get out of telling Twomey anything though? I'd be surprised if they tell him much at all and I think most of his info would be second hand.

Yeah I always found that fascinating. Especially in a year like this where you have GWS and Collingwood's picks intertwined. You get the impression clubs just say broad things like, we like this guy and see that guy going early, but why they even do that is a mystery to me. Of course I love that they give us clues, but if it were me I think I'd be ignoring the calls.

Km, do you still think the crows will take durdin at pick 14? (if not who will we take) and who will we take with our 2nd round?

KM - which current player would you compare Touk Miller to? I see a little Matt Crouch in him as that inside mid who can win his own ball and impact the scoreboard, but I'm not entirely sure.

Also, which picks around the 20-40 range do you believe have the potential to become star players with the right development?

It's probably just more quantity of contacts and with that many contacts he'll ask people who he thinks other like. Clubs will do their own phantoms so based on that talk Cal probably gets a fair idea.

Km, do you still think the crows will take durdin at pick 14? (if not who will we take) and who will we take with our 2nd round?

If available Adelaide certainly will consider Durdin. Marchbank and Goddard also make sense in his absence.

In the second round while after the first round it is guesswork, I can see Adelaide looking at Maynard as someone Adelaide have loosely been rumoured to like.

KM - which current player would you compare Touk Miller to? I see a little Matt Crouch in him as that inside mid who can win his own ball and impact the scoreboard, but I'm not entirely sure.

Also, which picks around the 20-40 range do you believe have the potential to become star players with the right development?

Miller is something like a less explosive, less productive Dion Prestia as a sub 180cm guy with rare strength.

Compared to Crouch, Miller also is less productive but perhaps has a few different tricks.

Connor Menadue in that 20-40 range really could become a star if things go right.

Dean Gore and Reece McKenzie are two others likely to go in that range who really have some star potential.

Hey km, with this draft being so even do you think hawthorn did the right thing trading 19 for o'rouke?

I'd say yes.

He's worth roughly pick 15 in this draft but the key is O'Rourke is a list fit offering Hawthorn something a little different but also those few extra years advanced having experienced a few seasons in the AFL system.

Km when's the update?

When I go over my bios and I'm happy with them.

I've got my 50 profiles done, I'm just checking through my bios and tweaking some of them, around 10 players checked through, will spend tomorrow on it so at the earliest Tuesday night, but otherwise Saturday/Sunday night is more likely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I believe GWS will take Laverde and pickett in two of there 3 picks.
So Collingwood may see DeGoey as similar to Laverde.

I believe GWS will take Laverde and pickett in two of there 3 picks.
So Collingwood may see DeGoey as similar to Laverde.

I've got similar at present.

I have :
3. McCartin - Melb
4. Laverde - GWS
5. Langford - Coll
6. Lever - GWS
7. Pickett - GWS
8. De Goey - GC
10. Ahern - Gee
11. Weller - WC
12. Wright - Rich

But that surely will change as we learn more and hear word of the latest rumours.

I've got similar at present.

I have :
3. McCartin - Melb
4. Laverde - GWS
5. Langford - Coll
6. Lever - GWS
7. Pickett - GWS
8. De Goey - GC
10. Ahern - Gee
11. Weller - WC
12. Wright - Rich

But that surely will change as we learn more and hear word of the latest rumours.

I like the look of that order, in fact I pretty much spot on agree with it as a prediction.
I've been thinking for a while that GWS might pip Collingwood with Laverde with the expectation that Collingwood won't go tall. I've also rated Langford as a likely top 10 for a while now and I could definitely see Collingwood taking him if Laverde is taken at #4.
For West Coast I'm really hoping for one of Pickett, Weller or Duggan, and the likelihood of one of them lasting to #11 is very high. I'm just hoping I don't get massively let down if one of them is available and West Coast recruiters select De Goey or Ahern instead.
Obviously it's impossible to know but what do you expect West Coast's preference list is (out of realistic options)?

I like the look of that order, in fact I pretty much spot on agree with it as a prediction.
I've been thinking for a while that GWS might pip Collingwood with Laverde with the expectation that Collingwood won't go tall. I've also rated Langford as a likely top 10 for a while now and I could definitely see Collingwood taking him if Laverde is taken at #4.
For West Coast I'm really hoping for one of Pickett, Weller or Duggan, and the likelihood of one of them lasting to #11 is very high. I'm just hoping I don't get massively let down if one of them is available and West Coast recruiters select De Goey or Ahern instead.
Obviously it's impossible to know but what do you expect West Coast's preference list is (out of realistic options)?

Pickett, Ahern or Weller would I imagine be the hopes. Duggan could be the backup plan. Otherwise Garlett and Cockatoo could be further considerations in the discussion. That's my guess for West Coast.

Hey KM if you're still up.. It's a little off topic but how do you think the Cats will go next year?

Geelong 7th/8th for me. With with Christensen and Varcoe gone I see the midfield taking a step back and the team looking a little slower. Geelong while there is a good young core I evaluate as being too reliant on the performance of the veterans and those veterans at 30+ now (Enright/Bartel/Johnson/Kelly/Lonergan) they'll surely experience deadline to at least some extent.

Sydney, Hawthorn, North Melbourne, Port Adelaide, Fremantle and Gold Coast as that 6th team all look better to me.

No doubt Christensen and Varcoe leaving hurts. I'm hoping that Caddy, Horlin-Smith and Guthrie can take the next step in the midfield along with Lang to help cover our losses (and hopefully Weller :D). I think we'll finish between 3rd to 6th but I can see where you're coming from.

If Clark can stay fit our forward line looks so much better than it did this year but it is a big if.

Also, look for Thurlow to take the next step.

I'm not as keen on North as some others are. They we're very inconsistent this year and will face a tougher draw next year so it will be interesting to see if they can live up to their expectations.

knightmare, it sounds like lately pies could take, laverde, Langford or de goey at 5. Would you be disappointed with this? Which one would you take of the 3? From what I have seen it looks like Langford would become a midfielder more than Laverde. Although De Goeys kicking looks exceptional and would really complement broomhead on a forward flank. But I also like that Langford has a late birthday and has shown improvement all year.

No doubt Christensen and Varcoe leaving hurts. I'm hoping that Caddy, Horlin-Smith and Guthrie can take the next step in the midfield along with Lang to help cover our losses (and hopefully Weller :D). I think we'll finish between 3rd to 6th but I can see where you're coming from.

If Clark can stay fit our forward line looks so much better than it did this year but it is a big if.

Also, look for Thurlow to take the next step.

I'm not as keen on North as some others are. They we're very inconsistent this year and will face a tougher draw next year so it will be interesting to see if they can live up to their expectations.
The thing with Norths inconsistency is they play well against the good teams and worse against the poor teams so a tough draw could have the opposite effect on them. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back