Knights to Port?

Remove this Banner Ad

As for what compensation we'd receive.. The AFL have said that clubs will be compensated relative to the number of players the lose each year due to Free Agency. The actual compensation itself will be determined by the AFL, presumably using a similar formula to that used for the GC/GWS thefts.
I sense another reaming coming on.

However I don't expect us to roll over and just cop it. We will write a polite but firm letter to Mr Demetriou's underlings, who with some cajoling, will pass it along to him or at least give him the gist of it.

However I don't expect us to roll over and just cop it. We will write a polite but firm letter to Mr Demetriou's underlings, who with some cajoling, will pass it along to him or at least give him the gist of it.

I expect that some of our strongly-worded toadying will be lost in translation sadly. If only we could directly kiss his arse!

I dont think Port chasing him or Knights ending up at Alberton is that silly a suggestion. He'd be one of the prime targets that Port would look at because a) he's already living here b) we can probably guarantee he'll be playing every week and c) he'd improve our side.

Reckon you'd find it would be round 2 in the draft, using Kraks as the reason
I doubt we'd get that. His value is probably closer to that of Josh Fraser, who earned Collingwood an end-of-3rd round selection. Even then, like Collingwood, we'd be making out like bandits.
Yes they can.

8 years, out of contract, unrestricted free agent

I don't see anything exempting GWS from grabbing free agents this year who have played 8+ years for their original club....
http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=130820
Nobody is debating that Knights is elegible for unrestricted free agency, nor are they debating GWS rights to sign him under that rule (OK, Buzzasto Da Silva might be). Unlike the "uncontracted player rule", which had a window for signing players 12 months ahead of time, there is no such window for signing free agents. Free Agents cannot be signed until October, with free agency being the main reason why trade week now lasts for almost the entire month. They can sign him as a FA, they just can't do so until October.
I can confirm that GWS would have to trade for Knights. They are entitled to only one uncontracted player from each club during their two years of eligibility (2011/2012) and they have already taken Davis. Although Knights is eligible as a free-agent, GWS are NOT entitled to sign him under the free-agency ruling because they have already taken a free-agent from Adelaide during their window. :thumbsu:
There are two different rules at play here. GWS cannot sign him as an uncontracted player, as per the terms of their draft concessions. They can, however, sign him as an unrestricted free agent.

I sense another reaming coming on.

How is it possible for us to get reamed? Knights value right now, having not played a single decent game since 2009, is essentially zero. The worst we can get is Band 5, an end of 3rd round selection, the same as Collingwood got for Fraser. Get that and we'll be making out like bandits.

We all know that Knights used to be a much better player, but it's been a long time since his injury riddled body allowed him to produce that level of performance. Right now.. getting anything at all for him would be an absolute bonus.

I dont think Port chasing him or Knights ending up at Alberton is that silly a suggestion. He'd be one of the prime targets that Port would look at because a) he's already living here b) we can probably guarantee he'll be playing every week and c) he'd improve our side.

Agreed, I think he would make for a great pick up for you guys, especially if you lose Boak, he's a good leader and would definitely offer some genuine midfield depth and a mature body to protect the likes of Wingard and Hartlett.

Port & some of other sides well below the salary cap (which isn't necessarily the bottom teams) are best placed to throw $'s at free agency players like Knights.

Unless Knights starts to win a regular spot in the Crows, can't see him staying as 1) not getting a regular game & 2) won't get a significant payrise, given other players value has increased.

How is it possible for us to get reamed? Knights value right now, having not played a single decent game since 2009, is essentially zero. The worst we can get is Band 5, an end of 3rd round selection, the same as Collingwood got for Fraser. Get that and we'll be making out like bandits.

We all know that Knights used to be a much better player, but it's been a long time since his injury riddled body allowed him to produce that level of performance. Right now.. getting anything at all for him would be an absolute bonus.

Free agency compensation is yet to be determined? It wont be the same as the compo for the new clubs so its possible we could get a 5th rounder, nothing, or a first rounder. AFL discretion :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought that there is only compensation to be given under free agency if there is a "net loss of free agents"??

Does that mean, hypothetically for example, Carlton loses Judd and picks up Salopek (assuming both were free agents) then they have no net loss and hence no compo?

I thought that there is only compensation to be given under free agency if there is a "net loss of free agents"??

Does that mean, hypothetically for example, Carlton loses Judd and picks up Salopek (assuming both were free agents) then they have no net loss and hence no compo?

yeah that's the impression i have.

^ Correct. So I think tactically, clubs will have to learn when is a good time to suck up losing a key player to FA without replacing them. You don't want to sacrifice a good compo pick to grab a mid-range plodder in free agency.

Rucci also wants Roos, Malthouse to coach. Every time someone is out of contract, Rucci goes to sleep at night with his hand on it and thinks port are a chance to nab anyone.....Newsflash - Port simply don't have the pulling power or the money for the kind of personnel Rucci is always banging on about. Knights wouldn't be commanding so much money at the moment, so there's a very minute possibility Knights would go to Port. He'd be a lot wiser to stay with the crows.

I have a 'friend' who is an regular time traveller...he's just returned from the year 2062 where he spoke to Crows coach Max Doughty at pre-season training who told him how excited he is about Knighta and that he's definitely poised to recapture his 2009 form in the upcoming season...just needs to get over a slight niggle he picked up at training this morning

Anyone see a connection with Knights leaving at seasons end, and Kurt waiting till then to re-sign? Knights is on a reasonable clip, maybe that situation needs to play out before we can have enough space to give Kurt the contract we need to?

Just thinking outside the square.

Anyone see a connection with Knights leaving at seasons end, and Kurt waiting till then to re-sign? Knights is on a reasonable clip, maybe that situation needs to play out before we can have enough space to give Kurt the contract we need to?

Just thinking outside the square.

I think the amount that Knights is on has been overstated. It's my understanding that as he is an unrestricted free agent, it means he's not in the top 10 earners at the Crows. My guess is that Kurt has a figure in mind that he thinks he could be worth, but probably realises that his form over the last 3 years doesn't warrant that figure, and is hoping for a big finish to the season with some good performances in finals to be worthy of that figure.

Ive been pondering the symes situation.

Is symes back to port a possibility? Meets all the criteria above.

Is symes already signed up to GWS - reason I wonder is I dont know how someone can play so well at SANFL so consistently and not have had a chance to come in - if he'd have signed elsewhere and crows got wind of it, that might explain why he hasnt got a gig.

Ive been pondering the symes situation.

Is symes back to port a possibility? Meets all the criteria above.

Is symes already signed up to GWS - reason I wonder is I dont know how someone can play so well at SANFL so consistently and not have had a chance to come in - if he'd have signed elsewhere and crows got wind of it, that might explain why he hasnt got a gig.
Symes cannot have signed with GWS, as they have already signed Davi$ under the uncontracted player rule. Besides.. why on earth would they be interested in a player like Symes? Choco was more than happy to trade him to us, knowing his significant failings - why would he trade to bring him onto his new team's list? It makes no sense.

Symes isn't getting an AFL gig because his file has been marked "select only in case of dire emergency". He's not good enough and we now have an abundance of younger players who have the potential to be far better - and who will be on our list beyond the end of the 2012 season.

If Knighta is so bad, why do you think Sando is picking him?
My opinion is that hes being picked to increase his value. He's not a bad player overall but fragile (or acutely unlucky) Half a dozen games into him in the middle of the season gets us more net value at end of season that getting an extra 6 games into one of the younger players. He is past his peak and by the time we are peaking in 3-4 years he will be well past his prime. load him up with posessions, demonstrate to other sides that his body is holding up, second round pick, profit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Knights to Port?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back