KoopK

Rookie
Sep 19, 2016
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Strikers, Flipsid3
Just another amateur who's followed throughout the year. May have a slight bias towards the SA players and players lasting until Port's selections so I'll put that disclaimer out now.

NOTE: I am also one of the minority that doesn't expect a Quaynor bid to come in the first round.

1. Carlton - Sam Walsh

Why: Most seem to think that Walsh is a certainty to be at the very least a very solid footballer at the next level, similar in that high-floor aspect to Andrew McGrath from 2016. While nothing is ever guaranteed or certain in the world of sport, the way that Walsh presents himself both on and off the field tells me that Carlton are onto a real winner, and a very handy addition to their future on-ball brigade. Will always strive to get the best out of himself and will be a future leader for the club. Averaged 29 disposals for the Falcons & 28 at the Championships for Vic Country.

Who else?: Izak Rankine is the other they’re considering based on reports.

2. Gold Coast - Jack Lukosius

Why: Having known Lukosius from a sporting perspective since playing junior sport at the same club from as far back as 2010, this kid is a freak. Naturally talented in every sense of the word. Jack had a solid if unspectacular season playing senior SANFL footy, but his lead-up speed and disposal smarts are absolutely elite. Some have questioned his mental toughness, and I’d agree that he isn’t the most steel-willed bloke I’ve ever met. If you’re the Gold Coast however, you NEED to back yourself to turn things around, and they’re potentially staring at the next Nick Riewoldt.

Who else?: The King twins would be the outside chance to go 2 & 3, but I can’t see GC taking the Vic Metro risk.

3. Gold Coast - Connor Rozee

Why: I’m actually quite surprised that the Gold Coast didn’t turn this selection into multiple others throughout the trade period. I’m of the opinion that they’re caught between a rock and a hard place in this particular draft. I honestly consider all 3 of the VM ‘Big 7’ to be flight risks in some capacity, and the player who I’d expect to be the most ‘non-risk’ selection to head north is destined to go to Carlton at 1. It’s a well known fact that Lukosius & Rozee are mates, and I think keeping them together is the best way to help their culture moving forward. It does also help that Rozee is a fantastic player in his own right, too. Has outside class to burn and is one of the most polished and athletic prospects in this years pool, as evidenced by a fantastic combine. He will also be able to play forward, on the wing, or off the half-back flank early on for the Suns, which will make him indispensable to their lineup from the offset.

Who else?: Izak Rankine would be the other thought here, but I’d honestly consider Rozee the safer pick for the club.

4. St. Kilda - Max King

Why: Local boy who kicked 8 goals in his sole TAC Cup game before going down with an ACL. Max is an absolute freak of nature and one of the most athletic 200cm prospects to come through in some time. His marking coupled with said athleticism & a high football IQ is going to make him an absolute nightmare to defend. Will provide the Saints with a fantastic forward option in the years to come with question marks surrounding McCartin.

Who else?: The Saints recruiting department made the comment a few weeks ago that they see having Pick 4 over Pick 5 to be a considerable advantage, so Rankine would be the other option here you’d suspect. Caldwell has been mentioned, but I can’t see him going this high.

5. Port Adelaide - Izak Rankine

Why: The ready-made Chad Wingard replacement, Izak Rankine is capable of tricks that no-one in this draft crop possesses. Rankine possesses fantastic acceleration and movement, as well as an innate goal sense, highlighted by his spectacular U18 carnival for SA where he averaged 3 goals to go with 15 touches. Has some discipline issues and is certainly a character, but in a team which struggled to score in 2018, and with no genuine small forwards now outside of Robbie Gray, he seems tailor-made to one of Port’s glaring weaknesses.

Who else?: Ben King would be under consideration here, but I could just as easily see Port topping up their dearth of key defender stocks with Wilkie or Hore in the rookie, it doesn’t have to be here. No way they pass on Rankine if still here. As a Port man, if Rankine is gone, I’d be happy with Caldwell here as he’d address our need for speed out of the middle.

6. Nick Blakey (GC bid matched by Sydney)

7. Gold Coast - Jye Caldwell

Why: A well-balanced prospect who has been spoken about by both St. Kilda & the Bulldogs in the road to the draft as interesting them at their respective selections. Caldwell is a super-athlete who possesses a ferocious attack on the ball and the ability to go forward and hit the scoreboard. Compliments the slower bigger bodied mids that the Suns’ brought in with the ability to play both inside & outside really well, as well as having a fantastic burst of pace. Injuries stopped him from showcasing more of his talent in 2018.

Who else?: Bailey Smith or Ben King would be the other choices for the Suns here, but both come with risks. Ben King the more likely of the two in my eyes here.

8. Western Bulldogs - Bailey Smith

Why: One of the most consistent and prolific ball-winners of this draft crop, Bailey Smith has a fantastic mix of inside and outside ball-winning matched by very few others. Widely regarded as the second best midfielder on exposed form behind Walsh. He also has the ability to rest forward and hit the scoreboard, and could start his AFL career down there as a pressure forward. I am slightly concerned with what I’ve heard in regards to his professionalism & desire to stay in Victoria from various sources. There’s obviously nothing wrong with his dedication to his craft, but from what I’ve read, he almost sounds a little robotic in the way he’s planned out how things are going to go from him. Having a cousin who went through the private system in Melbourne and had the same attitude in his junior year, who ended up not getting picked up because he reacted badly to a few underage/topage setbacks, I’m slightly concerned about that moving forward, and I can’t see the Suns taking him either.

Who else?: I just can’t see the Dogs passing on Smith here, even though Ben King would be a fantastic pickup considering their tall forward stocks especially, even though he is a swingman.

9. Adelaide - Ben King

Why: Don’t think the Crows can ignore King here if still on the board. We’ve seen the trend over the last few years of key position players slipping on draft night compared to BF Phantoms, and I expect the same to continue with King this year to some extent. Excellent KP prospect regardless who can play at both ends of the ground and has fantastic qualities that make him more than adept at both. His ability to read the play and his athleticism being particular highlights.

Who else?: Could be plenty of other options here. Jordan Clark, Chayce Jones & Jackson Hately to rattle off a few. Wouldn’t be surprised to see any of them here.

10. GWS - Jackson Hately

Why: With GWS losing a few of their midfield cohort over the last few years, Hately provides another option at the coalface, who has consistently matched it with the big boys already in 2018. Has leadership in spades & is an incredibly safe, but smart pick for the Giants. Fantastic hands in close, great endurance runner and at 190cm is the perfect size as a modern midfielder. Solidly built lad who’d have to be in the frame early at the Giants.

Who else?: Jordan Clark would be amazing here if still on the board, but I’d also have the inkling that Freo or the Eagles MAY opt to come up the order if he slides out of the top 9-10.

11. Port Adelaide - Jordan Clark

Why: Fills an outside need for composure and class decision-making out of the back half. Could argue would be better than more than half the half-back flankers on our list from day 1.

12. North Melbourne - Tarryn Thomas (GWS Bid matched by North Melbourne)

13. GWS - Riley Collier-Dawkins

Why: Modern-day midfield prototype who needs time to develop. GWS can afford plenty of that.

14. Geelong - Liam Stocker

Why: Courageous & extremely well-spoken young man who once has an endurance base to compete, will fit right into Geelong’s on-ball brigade with an ageing Selwood & Ablett in the twilight.

15. Adelaide - Chayce Jones

Why: Ferocious competitor who runs all day. His tackling pressure & speed adds another dimension to the Crow’s slower midfield.

16. Fremantle - Ian Hill

Why: Don’t think Fremantle pass here on keeping the family together. Uniquely placed to try & develop Hill, who on talent, is one of the best players in this crop.

17. Port Adelaide - Xavier Duursma

Why: Massive fan of Duursma and he would tick a HUGE inside/outside mid box here for the Power. Quick, versatile, athletic, courageous, Xavier is also willing to do his part defensively on the outside. I wouldn’t be surprised if we called him out at 10, as he’ll be on the radar of almost every club between 10-15.

18. Adelaide - Zak Butters

Why: Bit of a case of out of sight, out of mind when it comes to Butters. Quick, agile, and would complement Adelaide well here. Would not mind if Port took him a pick early. One of those players that can just make things happen.

19. Western Bulldogs - Rhylee West (Richmond bid matched)

20. Richmond - Ely Smith

Why: Follows Richmond’s trend of picking up a few of these consistent, bigger bodied types in the last few years. Smith is surprisingly agile and athletic for his size, especially for an inside midfielder, and has just gotten better and better as the year has worn on.

21. Brisbane - Jez McLennan

Why: Not often you have a prospect that comes out & publicly says he wants to go to QLD. Think it’s a no-brainer for the Lions here if Duursma is off the board. Reads the play fantastically and will pair up fantastically with Witherden.

22. North Melbourne - Bailey Scott (GWS bid matched)

23. GWS - Sam Sturt

Why: Another player with almost unrivalled scope for improvement. Ex-cricketer Sturt has bolted up the rankings, and his athleticism makes him a tasty future prospect should the right development come about.

24. West Coast - Xavier O’Halloran

Why: Classy inside midfielder with leadership in spades. Great burst of pace out of the stoppage and makes the right decision more often than not.

Nice work... I'd be happy with Xavier O'H as our first pick. Then just hope Crows took Williams so we could take Valente.

If Suns took Rankine would you take Rozee?

Nice work... I'd be happy with Xavier O'H as our first pick. Then just hope Crows took Williams so we could take Valente.

If Suns took Rankine would you take Rozee?

Cheers!

I would personally yes. I can't see why we've come up the order NOT to nab one of the South Aussies if available. Not saying King isn't a fantastic talent, but I just can't see the logic behind it otherwise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Phantom Draft Koop's 2018 Phantom

Remove this Banner Ad

Back