News Krakouer and Macaffer set for shock early return

Remove this Banner Ad

Adz

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
COLLINGWOOD livewire forward Andrew Krakouer could make a shock early return late into the season, his teammate Harry O’Brien has declared.

Krakouer, 29, suffered the heartbreak of a torn anterior cruciate ligament in the final stages of this year’s pre-season, with the Pies opting for a safe, but season-ending, full reconstruction for the classy opportunist.
But, O’Brien revealed Krakouer was way ahead of schedule in his recovery and is set to join the main Magpies group for full training as early as Thursday.

http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/articles/2012/07/11/krakouer-set-for-shock-early-return/

Wow, didn't expect this.
Will he be playing you think?

Even if he plays in the next month, it will be in the VFL for sure. He will need a few weeks of VFL, so I wouldn't expect him back before finals to be honest. I really hope he's given the time to go out in the VFL because we can cover for him. It's better that he comes in with a bit of game time under his belt rather than come in and not be able to run it out.

Both Krakouer & McCaff joined in the competitive stuff today.

Have been told Krak had a 'new' method of reconstruction, he had a partial (it was slight) tear & Fellar did a new procedure.

Daisy & Swanny did laps today but none showed any discomfort and moved freely.

Saw that on twitter.

I for one welcome any news about our long-term injured players returning to some sort of normality with their footy lives. If he starts full training, with an eye on maybe some games in the ressies, that would be an astounding and inspiring story. Bloody hope for Krak (and Caff) that this can happen, get a good pre-season in with the group and hit 2013 as 'new recruits' - hungry to cement their spots and desperate to be a part of the Mighty Magpie Machine! CARN!

If he can stay sound and play a month or more in the VFL he'll be an option for the finals - at least as a sub. Probably a better one than Buckley.

Looks like you may have been at training today Terex?
How did Pendles and BJ look? Any indication on those two, I'd love BJ to be a chance later in the year.
So much debate about the Half back role and with young Williams now out, i think we are underestimating his worth.

Would be great if they would come back but I feel it would sort of disrupt the team in a way.

Krakouer's no Bucks (Round 21 2007 return) in playing ability, he's a great player though. And who's spot would he take? Elliott?

I'm thinking maybe just a couple of games for Krak and Mcaff against Norf etc just to get them a feel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You'd need to know all the medical details but certainly it's conceivable that he could play within a month.

Especially if it was a partial rupture.

It all just gets down to chance - he waits till next year he has say a 5% chance of early re-rupture; he plays in a month it's a 10-15% chance of early re-rupture.

If it look like we'll go deep in finals and look likely to have an inform group of 27 players you keep him in cotton wool perhaps but if we have 23 and some out of touch, you'd be silly not to roll the dice.

i guess elliot and sinclair have a few weeks to show they can work together in the same forward line. if not krakouer may find himself with a position up for grabs, fitness and form permitting.

Just as big, Benny Johnson aiming for a round 20 start in the VFL then 2 weeks later in the seniors!
More concerned about Johnson. History says he is ordinary when not at peak fitness. Unless something remarkable happens I wouldn't have him in he 1s this year. At the outside he might be an ok sub option as a last quarter centre clearance player.

More concerned about Johnson. History says he is ordinary when not at peak fitness. Unless something remarkable happens I wouldn't have him in he 1s this year. At the outside he might be an ok sub option as a last quarter centre clearance player.
Does a shoulder injury make it easier to maintain fitness though? Surely it won't take him as long to get match fit. A couple in the VFL and a couple in the 1s should be enough shouldn't it? We need him badly.

I'm not sure what history you are referring to. He has been a great player over a sustained career. It would be a huge boost to the team to have him back in my opinion.

If we suffer no more injuries and get krak and BJ back for finals, i will be super confident about our chances for the flag. Krak offers some magic and skills that our other young forwards like Sinclair and Elliott just don't have at the moment.

Given that Krakouer is 29 an early return will lose us nothing, even if he is not ready and fails. We could send him to Arizona with Wellingham, hopefully not to crack his kneecap like Nathan Brown.

Kraks can't go to USA due to Visa issues.

Would be great to see him back later in the year, but not if there is any risk at all as he is still young enough to play a vital part of our team next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Krakouer and Macaffer set for shock early return

Remove this Banner Ad

Back