Kyabram DFL 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badly need ruckman , maybe finish in the 5-9 bracket
Have heard they may have a big unit coming from the prison. Not sure of his potential but has size on his side. This leads to a question that I have. Do you think the prison release program is a good one and do you support it?

Have heard they may have a big unit coming from the prison. Not sure of his potential but has size on his side. This leads to a question that I have. Do you think the prison release program is a good one and do you support it?

Pretty hit and miss imo. Against it personally. Is only available to selected sides and have had bad experiences with them on the field.

Not sure how it can be allowed with a salary cap in place? Clubs getting free players is a Salary Cap dodge.

Robbie Walters in the '80's was no slouch out of the Dhurringle stable !!! :D:thumbsu:

Pretty hit and miss imo. Against it personally. Is only available to selected sides and have had bad experiences with them on the field.
Not sure how it can be allowed with a salary cap in place? Clubs getting free players is a Salary Cap dodge.

I recall one inmate lamenting that the Shepparton News had been stolen from the prison library and that he couldn't point out his name in the best players. Another inmate expressed mock shock and pointed out that this might happen in place housing convicted thieves.

Now to your points.

Wombat needs to clarify whether his question is in regard to player involvement, helper involvement or just in general around the community. I'm happy to debate the "rehabilitative" nature of prison in its current form until the cows learn to milk themselves and also willing to state that the only difference between wearing a green t-shirt and freedom for quite a number of the population is being caught or a good lawyer.

Ultra is correct, it is hit and miss. Any grievances need to be raised with the club concerned and can be directed to the prison. The player concerned can be removed from the program and participants are aware that any breaches may not only see the withdrawal of the program but impact on an individual's eligibility for parole. I've also seen unprovoked verbal and physical targetting of prisoners on the field.

With regard to Doc, ALL players are welcome and encouraged to play for the love of the game and its benefits rather than remuneration. Any inmate who has played football recently is still rated under the points system.

Don't think for one second that there aren't blokes who want to and manage to play the system but also consider the following statement. More than 50% of first time inmates will re-offend and finish up back in the "big house", of those who go back in twice the rate of re-offending after release increases exponentially. If programs such as these help to reduce the recidivism rate for first time inmates then surely we all benefit.

I recall one inmate lamenting that the Shepparton News had been stolen from the prison library and that he couldn't point out his name in the best players. Another inmate expressed mock shock and pointed out that this might happen in place housing convicted thieves.

Now to your points.

Wombat needs to clarify whether his question is in regard to player involvement, helper involvement or just in general around the community. I'm happy to debate the "rehabilitative" nature of prison in its current form until the cows learn to milk themselves and also willing to state that the only difference between wearing a green t-shirt and freedom for quite a number of the population is being caught or a good lawyer.

Ultra is correct, it is hit and miss. Any grievances need to be raised with the club concerned and can be directed to the prison. The player concerned can be removed from the program and participants are aware that any breaches may not only see the withdrawal of the program but impact on an individual's eligibility for parole. I've also seen unprovoked verbal and physical targetting of prisoners on the field.

With regard to Doc, ALL players are welcome and encouraged to play for the love of the game and its benefits rather than remuneration. Any inmate who has played football recently is still rated under the points system.

Don't think for one second that there aren't blokes who want to and manage to play the system but also consider the following statement. More than 50% of first time inmates will re-offend and finish up back in the "big house", of those who go back in twice the rate of re-offending after release increases exponentially. If programs such as these help to reduce the recidivism rate for first time inmates then surely we all benefit.

Good too see you back Woody! And spot on as per usual ;)

I understand there is concern these days with the point system it just needs to be looked at from a league perspective and maybe cap the amount of people playing in the one side , l have no real problems with it l have seen guys from the prison deliberately walk away from altercations and l also seen last year one do a disgusting act to a player , l must admit l was more annoyed with the umpires that day as we had 3 due to a bye in the GV and l watched them see it then turn away as they must have been busy Friday, luckily the captain of the opposition told the bench to get him off.

We had a club forfeit there senior side all last year and a hand full of reserve games forfeited due to lack of numbers.

Maybe the prisoners should of been sent to Those clubs to help support there existence rather play in senior sides who have won premierships in the last 3/5 years.

With some of the prisoners possibly being in jail for more than 3 years they automatically become 1 point players.

It's almost impossible to get a 1 point player that is a walk up senior starter in your side for free. So I think it compromises the competition and gives an advantage to those in the program.
So many clubs would kill for extra players and volunteers.

We found the lads in the program very respectful and clean when we played so it's more an advantage issue rather than a safety issue with us.

Now to your points.

The fact remains it doesn't make sense to implement a Salary Cap then allow an avenue for Clubs to access avenue players who won't be paid. I'd be surprised if Club's don't push up for the concept to be canned or altered.

The fact remains it doesn't make sense to implement a Salary Cap then allow an avenue for Clubs to access avenue players who won't be paid. I'd be surprised if Club's don't push up for the concept to be canned or altered.
The salary cap would be an issue if any of these clubs were pushing the limit which I doubt is likely to happen. More so, the program existed before points and salary caps and as such the league delegates had every opportunity to suggest changes to "even" things up, and they may still choose to do so in the future. I could be wrong but I believe that other clubs are welcome to apply to the league and prison to be part of the program. I also believe that the prisoners can nominate to be "paid" with those funds being transferred to an approved charity. As stated previously, no club is forced to pay any player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not every player is paid, so can’t see the problem with it IMO

So if you're able to get more players to play for nothing then you can spend more money on the players you do pay to get better quality players. Hopefully that makes sense to you.

Wish everyone just played footy for the fun of it like majority did back in the old days. Money has ruined country footy in my opinion.

Wish everyone just played footy for the fun of it like majority did back in the old days. Money has ruined country footy in my opinion.

And as for prisoners playing, it was originally put in place for them to play at club that was struggling for numbers. And last year one of the clubs that had them won a premiership and the other went from almost bottom of the ladder to also playing finals. So go figure.

And as for prisoners playing, it was originally put in place for them to play at club that was struggling for numbers. And last year one of the clubs that had them won a premiership and the other went from almost bottom of the ladder to also playing finals. So go figure.

We had prisoners last year at murch. We went from 8th in 2016 to 7th in 2017 and didn't win a flag... merrigum being the other team went from 5th down to 9th!?
So I am unsure what sides you are refering to?

We had prisoners last year at murch. We went from 8th in 2016 to 7th in 2017 and didn't win a flag... merrigum being the other team went from 5th down to 9th!?
So I am unsure what sides you are refering to?
Merrigum had one in the line up when they won the flag John Forbes good player too.

Incorrect. The program was started as a brain child of a Merrigum person working in a welfare role at the Prison. With the aim to help low risk classification prisoners to reintegrate into society. It was started through showing initiative.
I’m fairly certain all clubs can apply if they wish. The onus is on the clubs to have volunteers trained and registered to look after them and transport them to and from games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back