Kyabram DFL 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m not to sure what they do Roota, there is a good bunch of people running the club but there has to be a burn out point they can’t put the amount of time in and keep ending near the bottom.
One way may be if the local leagues went to divisional football , they could be in a div 4 which would put them against teams in the same boat , it might help with attracting more people or maybe merge with another club , l just don’t see a way in the near future that they can get out of the situation they are in, without more points or a higher salary cap.
Putting in an application for higher points and a higher salary cap would be a good start but if what you hear is right they don't spend near what the Cap is currently. They do appear to do plenty of hard work in their Community to promote their Club etc but Longwood especially won't get away without paying some top end money to be Competitive. If they think they could get together 95k or so together for players it's worth lobbying for the higher Cap but if 45 to 55k has them busting the bank it's time to tap on a couple of nearby doors to sell what they could offer those Clubs in a merger. The Paid administration of the League should be having these conversations with them as well about what their options are.

Last edited:
Putting in an application for higher points and a higher salary cap would be a good start but if what you hear is right they don't spend near what the Cap is currently. They do appear to do plenty of hard work in their Community to promote their Club etc but Longwood especially won't get away without paying some top end money to be Competitive. If they think they could get together 95k or so together for players it's worth lobbying for the higher Cap but if 45 to 55k has them busting the bank it's time to tap on a couple of nearby doors to sell what they could offer those Clubs in a merger. The Paid administration of the League should be having these conversations with them as well about what their options are.

I’m assuming/hoping they don’t pay any of their current players. They have about a million sponsors on their FB Page so surely cash can’t be the issue??

Dylan Buckley and Nick Butler playing a game for Ardmona in May, Awesome for the bushcats

What’s their selling point for a one off game against Ardmona at the Wood?
Maybe a porterhouse at the Whitehart (nothing wrong with that btw), a round of golf on the sand scrapes of royal Longwood. ....and a box of frothies !!! . Just having fun with this of course

On SM-G900I using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good to put some spotlight on them I guess but this Might sound harsh but to me it shows they are just a gimmick club at moment.
Need to attract and sign serious players for at least the season. Not just blokes for a game.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
A gimmick because one ex AFL player in Franchina is playing with the Club and Buckley and Butler are going to play a game? Fair go. They did a great job on Saturday with the team they had in I thought. It was a 25 goal to 30 goal improvement on what their 2019 side would have dished up against a side of Violet Town's quality. Outside of that he has pulled 3 or 4 mates and a couple of local boys who were handy Reserves players in the Murray League. That's your normal sort of Ky League recruiting recipe for a Coach. I reckon they can knock Longwood and Tally off and might sneak another Win if they catch a team with a weaker side on the day.

A gimmick because one ex AFL player in Franchina is playing with the Club and Buckley and Butler are going to play a game? Fair go. They did a great job on Saturday with the team they had in I thought. It was a 25 goal to 30 goal improvement on what their 2019 side would have dished up against a side of Violet Town's quality. Outside of that he has pulled 3 or 4 mates and a couple of local boys who were handy Reserves players in the Murray League. That's your normal sort of Ky League recruiting recipe for a Coach. I reckon they can knock Longwood and Tally off and might sneak another Win if they catch a team with a weaker side on the day.
That would be a hell of a fall for Tally .

That would be a hell of a fall for Tally .
Only got 1 Round to go off so far Ardy went down 3 goals to 26 to Violet Town Tally went down 3 goals to 22 to Merrigum. Most would expect Violet Town to be alot stronger than Merrigum this Season so I'm thinking Tally are within reach for the Ardy boys.

Only got 1 Round to go off so far Ardy went down 3 goals to 26 to Violet Town Tally went down 3 goals to 22 to Merrigum. Most would expect Violet Town to be alot stronger than Merrigum this Season so I'm thinking Tally are within reach for the Ardy boys.
I think Round 1 would be hard to Judge after 18months off, Ardy were up for a challenge early but after Qtr time it was a lot of the same in some senses was a tough day conditions wise as the wind was quite Swirly. So might come down to how things are tracking as if they keep getting beat comprehensively can see them dropping off further

I think Round 1 would be hard to Judge after 18months off, Ardy were up for a challenge early but after Qtr time it was a lot of the same in some senses was a tough day conditions wise as the wind was quite Swirly. So might come down to how things are tracking as if they keep getting beat comprehensively can see them dropping off further
So Tally won't drop off further following regular smackings too? If Crawf identifies it as a game they can Win and grabs a couple extra they can have a realistic shot at them too.

So Tally won't drop off further following regular smackings too? If Crawf identifies it as a game they can Win and grabs a couple extra they can have a realistic shot at them too.
A side going from playing in the last Grand final to be beaten by a side that hasn’t won a game since 2015, would be a hell of a fall .

Last edited:
A side going from playing in the last Grand final to be beaten by a side that hasn’t won a game since 2015, would be a hell of a fall .

When you have 3 seniors players left from that grand final team and 19 new players that have had minimal training sessions all together due to work and travel situations.

it will take time to click together and get an understanding of one another. But things are looking alright, agree it mite be a longish year, but it’s a step that’s got to be taken, majority of clubs have had there time towards the bottom end/middle of the ladder in abit of a rebuild stage. And so be it.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Isn't that crawfs mantra not short term success but long term sustainability, crawf could have players signing up from all over Aus whilst he's coaching, but what happens when he leaves, I understand he could have had Bernie Vince full time, plus a few more, but what happens when crawf leaves, the one off games will help boast the coffers and hopefully crawf can keep Ardmona alive for many years to come, which is far more valuable then spending a heap to play finals then falling in the same hole when he leaves, maybe more coaches should take a leaf out of his book

Isn't that crawfs mantra not short term success but long term sustainability, crawf could have players signing up from all over Aus whilst he's coaching, but what happens when he leaves, I understand he could have had Bernie Vince full time, plus a few more, but what happens when crawf leaves, the one off games will help boast the coffers and hopefully crawf can keep Ardmona alive for many years to come, which is far more valuable then spending a heap to play finals then falling in the same hole when he leaves, maybe more coaches should take a leaf out of his book
Be surprised if Bernie Vince would have been lining up full time given the Media roles he currently has. Correct they do need to try and cash in while he is there but I haven't heard of any Sunday games where they could have pulled a big Crowd in too make a good dollar. Given there isn't many Sunday games at all across the Competitions in the area having two of them would have been Winners I'd say!

Is is safe to say the best thing they could have is getting additional player points?
I mean the club copped a big wack a few years ago for exceeding points when clearly they were trying to put in it's most competetive squad avaliable and not 'cheat' the system. From memory they lost those games by sizable margins.

I feel for the club, it would be a tough sell and they have a few factors that would be a fair challenge.
You have two powerhouse clubs within the league as your neighbours as well as two major GV clubs beyond that, combine that with a very small population base and a regimented points system it's near impossible to completely build within when your such a small community.

Yet from the outside the club appears to do plenty right and it's admirable that they can even get so many football & netball grades up and running each year.
Longwood don't strike me as a club that pay excessively to players which isn't a bad thing that they are self sustainable from a financial perspective and live within their means.

But where it becomes hard is ideally they'd target a bunch of 5-10 recruits who are mates and just want to play together, no world beaters but just reasonable players and clubman who can provide much needed depth but the points system basically kills off any hope of this type of recruiting.
From there you could at least build off that in years 2-3 but these days it's like plugging holes with player in's/outs each off season and points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Kyabram DFL 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Back