Kyabram DFL 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

There doesn’t need to be any movement or changes, just one club needed to move to the KDL, Two divisions, 8 in both, 16 game seasons play each other twice, Grand Finalists in Div 2 go up, bottom two in Div 1 go down. Perfect scenario, gives your Longwood Ardmona Rushy the opportunity to push for finals in Div 2 straight away after not being near finals for some years, removes regular 30-40 goal floggings.
Travel isn't a factor, we are blessed as a league to have minimal travel.
No brainer for me.
Rate this highly mate 👍🏽
Smaller clubs in div 2 will draw bigger crowds as they will be more competitive, boosting income and potential to recruit better players and improve.

Rate this highly mate 👍🏽
Smaller clubs in div 2 will draw bigger crowds as they will be more competitive, boosting income and potential to recruit better players and improve.
Katandra (only left because of no fourths i think)& Congupna would be the first two calls for mine, Congupna have recruited well and should play finals in the ones again, but before 2019 they have regularly been on the bottom rungs, and this season their U/14 & U/17s haven’t won a game, which points to a real struggle to maintain their competitiveness in a major league.
Bring one of them in with the carrot of being a genuine premiership prospect straight up, geographically fit, just need the U/14s to get off the ground to clinch a deal with either of them I reckon.

I don't think division footy will ever work in country footy. I think the weaker teams are better off merging, as the ongoing problems of getting juniors is the key, as many strong traditional clubs in the north-west of the state are finding and are now seeking mergers to keep going.

I'd go after congupna, from the Murray league and go after Locky, colbo and Elmore, even leitchy, as they're not happy with the junior setup in the hdfl going from 17s to 18s. You could probably instead of having a division system where one goes up and one goes down, an east-west conference, think outside the box rather than going off the metro tried system, which doesn't really work as the same teams go up and down and lower divisions struggle with juniors as everyone wants to play div 1, and juniors is the key to country footy

l was actually talking about this today ( not broadford) but division football , people don’t want to play for the sides getting beaten by 200 odd each week , unless there is a way the club can build out of it.
Bring a few teams in split the league to 2 by 9/10 , winner comes up,last goes down but it seems we are a long way off this happening

I don't think division footy will ever work in country footy. I think the weaker teams are better off merging, as the ongoing problems of getting juniors is the key, as many strong traditional clubs in the north-west of the state are finding and are now seeking mergers to keep going.

I'd go after congupna, from the Murray league and go after Locky, colbo and Elmore, even leitchy, as they're not happy with the junior setup in the hdfl going from 17s to 18s. You could probably instead of having a division system where one goes up and one goes down, an east-west conference, think outside the box rather than going off the metro tried system, which doesn't really work as the same teams go up and down and lower divisions struggle with juniors as everyone wants to play div 1, and juniors is the key to country footy
Where is the evidence that it hasn't or won't work in Country Footy? The more I think about it the more I think it's ideal for the KDFL.

Locky and Colbo would dish out 100+ point beltings to the bottom 4 in the KDFL
Hows that helping the KDFL.

Tiered football within the KDL would see increased player movement particularly within juniors and netball as many would opt not to play in the lesser comp which in turn would put more strain on those clubs ability to field all sides.
Whilst if tiered footy was in place this season within the KDL it would see Tally playing against the better sides every week ( due to playing in 2019 GF) which would see them cop bigger defeats more often .
The only solution to improving competiveness across any competition and across the whole region IMO is improving junior structure across the region .
One to one pathways is critical in ensuring kids twho enter the game have a linked pathway to continue playing .
More people playing the game the better and more even competitions will become and with more options of players , comes greater bargaining power for clubs and therefore lowering player payments .

Last edited:
Tiered football within the KDL would see increased player movement particularly within juniors and netball as many would opt not to play in the lesser comp which in turn would put more strain on those clubs ability to field all sides.
Whilst if tiered footy was in place this season within the KDL it would see Tally playing against the better sides every week ( due to playing in 2019 GF) which would see them cop bigger defeats more often .
The only solution to improving competiveness across any competition and across the whole region IMO is improving junior structure across the region .
One to one pathways is critical in ensuring kids twho enter the game have a linked pathway to continue playing .
More people playing the game the better and more even competitions will become and with more options of players , comes greater bargaining power for clubs and therefore lowering player payments .

The original plan for the 4ths competition was to introduce it as an Under 12 competition with a minimum expectation of having 9 players. This is set to increase to Under 13 in 2022 with a 12 player minimum, followed by the final step of being Under 14 in 2023 with a 15 player minimum. This should then directly translate into an improved 3rds competition.

This season 9 clubs have fielded teams, hopefully at least 4 of the remaining 6 (Avenel, Lancaster, Girgarre, Nagambie, Tally & Undera) will add a team next season even with the commitment level being higher.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tally would only cop hidings for a year though then they would be back in the lower Division not like a Longwood who haven't beaten the majority of the League in 12 Seasons who clearly don't meet the standard. In regards to Juniors wanting to swap into the higher Div in most cases the reason they already play in the KD is they hail from a town within the Comp or that's the standard they are most suited too ability/application wise. With that in mind playing in the top standard isn't there top priority I don't think. You can bang on about Juniors and try and make it is as good as you can but there are major issues with Junior Football and the lack of numbers and personally I wouldn't be knocking an opportunity like this on the head because of a theory of how it might cause player losses in Juniors.

The original plan for the 4ths competition was to introduce it as an Under 12 competition with a minimum expectation of having 9 players. This is set to increase to Under 13 in 2022 with a 12 player minimum, followed by the final step of being Under 14 in 2023 with a 15 player minimum. This should then directly translate into an improved 3rds competition.

This season 9 clubs have fielded teams, hopefully at least 4 of the remaining 6 (Avenel, Lancaster, Girgarre, Nagambie, Tally & Undera) will add a team next season even with the commitment level being higher.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I would think if they are Gunna go from U/14s to 3rds, u would hope they drop the age group back to U17s

Tally would only cop hidings for a year though then they would be back in the lower Division not like a Longwood who haven't beaten the majority of the League in 12 Seasons who clearly don't meet the standard. In regards to Juniors wanting to swap into the higher Div in most cases the reason they already play in the KD is they hail from a town within the Comp or that's the standard they are most suited too ability/application wise. With that in mind playing in the top standard isn't there top priority I don't think. You can bang on about Juniors and try and make it is as good as you can but there are major issues with Junior Football and the lack of numbers and personally I wouldn't be knocking an opportunity like this on the head because of a theory of how it might cause player losses in Juniors.
Merrigum and Gig who currently occupy 7th and 8th and potentially would go into Div 2 have beaten bottom 4 sides by 20 plus goals .
Why is there thought they will meet the standard or improve if they play against sides beating them by 20 goals ?
Others know the KDL far more intermittently than me but it would appear splitting the comp would provide a more even comp for the stronger clubs whilst the 2nd comp would remain extremely uneven with the better sides in the 2nd div playing the lesser sides more often .

Got 3rd best... probably just trying to impress his mum though 🤣🤣
Trolls around half back picking up cheap possessions. Lives by the mantra
I would think if they are Gunna go from U/14s to 3rds, u would hope they drop the age group back to U17s
Definitely. That said, heaps of kids have played U/12 and U/14 in other junior competitions and then stumped up for a run in the U/18s, obviously not ideal.

Merrigum and Gig who currently occupy 7th and 8th and potentially would go into Div 2 have beaten bottom 4 sides by 20 plus goals .
Why is there thought they will meet the standard or improve if they play against sides beating them by 20 goals ?
Others know the KDL far more intermittently than me but it would appear splitting the comp would provide a more even comp for the stronger clubs whilst the 2nd comp would remain extremely uneven with the better sides in the 2nd div playing the lesser sides more often .
Merrigum & Gig currently in the top 8, so Division 1 spots for them at this point in time. Katandra would join the other ex Picola League clubs in Division 2 🤣😜

May not be perfect but if the Ardmonas Longwood and Tally's ( at current strength) are playing each other twice a year for sure they are much better off. A Club like Girgarre who haven't played finals for 20 years and haven't Won a flag for 30 wouldn't be complaining about being ahead of the pack it's possible they would still find a way to slip up.

I agree wholeheartedly roar, especially when the travel time in the league is relatively low, would Daniel Harris have played his juniors at Rushworth if they were in the lower division or gone to a club in div 1 to play juniors.

In regards to division footy, it's just my humble opinion it will never work in country footy, the intracicies in how country communities work and revolve around their footy club is totally different to metro footy clubs.

How long will the struggling clubs stay afloat in the league? Is division footy going to save them? Or do they merge and get 3-4 home games a year?

Merrigum & Gig currently in the top 8, so Division 1 spots for them at this point in time. Katandra would join the other ex Picola League clubs in Division 2 🤣😜
Your Saints who I assume you would have in div 1 , wouldn’t get within 10 goals of the current Katandra side . 🤣😜🤪

I agree wholeheartedly roar, especially when the travel time in the league is relatively low, would Daniel Harris have played his juniors at Rushworth if they were in the lower division or gone to a club in div 1 to play juniors.
100% Daniel Harris would have played for Rushworth whether they were in Div 1 or 2, and 99% of KDL U/18s would play at their home club regardless of the division, nothing would change, each club would lose their driven and high achieving juniors to GV U/18s, not to neighbouring KDL clubs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Kyabram DFL 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Back