Kyrgios: "I actually don't like tennis"

Remove this Banner Ad

I was actually quite disappointing when I saw the video, he barely says it it's just that there was a microphone right next to him. When I first saw the headlines I assumed it was a lot more directly at Stan than it ended up being.

Exactly, people need to stop calling this a sledge. It's not a sledge if you don't mean it to be heard.
All it is, is muttering. It ain't clever, it's just soft and pathetic.

i train a fair bit at melb park and i see nick and thanassi quite alot. they are nice blokes and like most people on this forum i am constantly defending him. i thought his comments were below the belt. i understand that tennis is a very emotional sport and at times it can become difficult to control your emotions even when the other guy is having a crack at you. after the Wimbledon experience and hewitt in his corner, i thought nick would of said i am 20 and enough is enough and try and be better than the other guy. obviously it didnt occur with stan. we all know they dont like each other very much. i heard nick has a fine coming his way, but i kind of agree with stan, he needs to be punished other than a fine. dont get me wrong i think entertainment is very good for the sport. we have seen the likes of safin, roddick and djokovic to an extent however those comments should be left in another forum, not on the court. a lot of players look up to nick, espically aussie juniors and i honestly dont want juniors at tournaments trying to sledge there opponents. it will be interesting to see how nick acts moving forward and if he will play in cincinnati

i train a fair bit at melb park and i see nick and thanassi quite alot. they are nice blokes and like most people on this forum i am constantly defending him. i thought his comments were below the belt. i understand that tennis is a very emotional sport and at times it can become difficult to control your emotions even when the other guy is having a crack at you. after the Wimbledon experience and hewitt in his corner, i thought nick would of said i am 20 and enough is enough and try and be better than the other guy. obviously it didnt occur with stan. we all know they dont like each other very much. i heard nick has a fine coming his way, but i kind of agree with stan, he needs to be punished other than a fine. dont get me wrong i think entertainment is very good for the sport. we have seen the likes of safin, roddick and djokovic to an extent however those comments should be left in another forum, not on the court. a lot of players look up to nick, espically aussie juniors and i honestly dont want juniors at tournaments trying to sledge there opponents. it will be interesting to see how nick acts moving forward and if he will play in cincinnati
Fair enough if you thought the sledge crossed the line, but going by Kyrgios it was a sledge in response to a sledge.

The outrage is a joke and a huge amount of it is just beyond comprehension. The volume of people saying Tennis is a gentlemens game and requires a certain decorum, sorry but when was this introduced? Was it after McEnroe? Was it after Agassi hammering drugs half his career? Was it after Gilles Simons comments about female tennis players not being real athletes? Maybe it was after Sergiy Stakhovsky said all female tennis players were lesbians and Mauresmo couldnt coach a man cause a women doesnt understand mens tennis.

In a long long history of "the gentlemans game" Nicks comments were pretty weak sauce.

Also for the record if saying one of my mates banged your missus made every player quit i gurantee you Nick wouldnt be the only one doing it, $10k fine is a small price to pay when the tourny winner gets millions.

this incident is dividing australia, that is still reeling from goodes boo vs anti boo, and michael clarke lovers vs non lovers
The sad thing is that the Goodes debate has the most credibility for outrage of the three and even then that's a bit wtf

We need guys like Kyrgios on the tour. We don't want everyone to be bland.

No we don't.
There is one thing to be competitive but this is above and beyond this.
Aussies need to stop being so bogan and get with the program.
Tennis is a far more refined sport then Aussie rules and this just shows us for the primates we are.
The sooner Australia grows up the better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No we don't.
There is one thing to be competitive but this is above and beyond this.
Aussies need to stop being so bogan and get with the program.
Tennis is a far more refined sport then Aussie rules and this just shows us for the primates we are.
The sooner Australia grows up the better.

Please do tell us what makes tennis so "refined"? As said in my above post its no better (or worse for that matter) than most any other professional sport. I would contend that the individual nature of it and the propensity for "stage parents" make most tennis players far more prone to this sort of behavior but i have no evidence to back that up.

this thread highlights misogyny in the extreme. he doesn't say it just once, but he mutters it behind the baseline within ear shot of fans.

the bloke's a tool and his age is no excuse.

it's a shame that we Australians generally believe that fierce competitiveness and belligerent behaviour go hand in hand.

Tennis is its own worse enemy. They are so soft on abuse to umpires its a joke. Its no wonder that a self entitled clown like Kyrigos has come along. Its my tip that he will become the first tennis player to to get his head kicked in by an opponent on live television. ...........I just cant wait for it to happen.

I really am getting tired of defending this guy. I want to like him but it's getting difficult. The sledge doesn't bother me too much its just more his attitude eg @ 3.20min loses set goes up to umpire and asks for a ball kid to be ejected from the stadium- had to check if i was hearing things right.. swearing carrying on like a baby. Becoming a prima donna. I really hope he matures sooner rather than later as the fame and money is getting to his head

the kids of Australia.

you only have to travel OS to see the belligerent louts and the accents attached to the buffoons......both male and female.

Please do tell us what makes tennis so "refined"? As said in my above post its no better (or worse for that matter) than most any other professional sport. I would contend that the individual nature of it and the propensity for "stage parents" make most tennis players far more prone to this sort of behavior but i have no evidence to back that up.

the other thing is Tennis has one of the worst doping problems in world sport, and continuously cover it up. Hardly a gentleman's game.

Tennis is an international sport...not just localised to Australia.
Unfortunately act such as these are viewed by the everyone, not just the narrow minded dogmatic view of certain Australians!!

Tennis is its own worse enemy. They are so soft on abuse to umpires its a joke. Its no wonder that a self entitled clown like Kyrigos has come along. Its my tip that he will become the first tennis player to to get his head kicked in by an opponent on live television. ...........I just cant wait for it to happen.

You don't come across being mentally sound.

Agree with this. If I was a tennis ump I'd be docking them points left right and centre for some of the things that are said to them. Where is the respect?

Agree with this. If I was a tennis ump I'd be docking them points left right and centre for some of the things that are said to them. Where is the respect?

spot on.

you see mutual respect in rugby. the ref calls captains in, exerts authority, they listen.

The thing that upsets me the most is that he's behavior is shedding a bad light on Australians in general.
And as an Aussie most of us are not like this. Tomic's attitude doesn't help either.
And to make matters worse, Nick brought the only decent Aussie male player in Kokinakis into it so now he's dragging others down with him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Kyrgios: "I actually don't like tennis"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back