Traded Lachie Schultz [Traded to Collingwood for #34 and F1]

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, I'd lock him in for band 2 basically so that would be the starting point with any additional price the cost of getting him a year early and guaranteeing you get him (who knows how much a club like Hawks or North offer next year)

Also Freo gets his services for another year, which is pretty relevant for Longmuir who is potentially on the hot seat after missing finals this year. So pick 18 this year (which will be pushed back) is pretty unlikely to be a worse pick than he goes for next year - so his value is more than that.

He's a bloody good player and will be excellent for collingwood, they should offer a good deal to get it done.

Also Freo gets his services for another year, which is pretty relevant for Longmuir who is potentially on the hot seat after missing finals this year. So pick 18 this year (which will be pushed back) is pretty unlikely to be a worse pick than he goes for next year - so his value is more than that.

He's a bloody good player and will be excellent for collingwood, they should offer a good deal to get it done.
Yeah exactly, there are Senior people at Freo (Bell as well as Longmuir) whose jobs are on the line and there is no one we can bring in at this stage that will make us a better team then having Schultz.

Like I said, everyone will laugh at how much Freo "win" the trade while Schultz goes on to play an important role in the GF next year while we sit outside the 8, still waiting for our kids to come on

I accept that we are not privy to all discussions, but first he should have said that he wanted to return to Melbourne for family.

Freo then field offers from interested clubs.

If the best offer comes from Collingwood, they then start talking turkey.

Schultz has always impressed me with his “will do attitude”. Tough as nails. Confused why he was not more up front with this matter, as he is thought of as an integral player. Loved by all Freo supporters, can’t of any reason why he may feel unloved.
It’s not unusual a player determines which club he wants to be traded to. In fact, I can’t remember when a player simply left it to the club he is departing to determine where he ends up.

Did Jackson select Freo over WCE or did Melbourne choose Freo for him? And what about Jordan Clark? Did he tell Geelong where he wanted to play?

Freo have a history of being (rightfully) tough negotiators with their contracted players who request to leave, and given how it sounds like they've been a bit blindsided by the news, I imagine this will continue.

Will be an interesting negotiation.

Well Wright is known to be Pretty Fair at the Trade Table

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would be a good deal but if Freo is stubborn about it, he can walk out angrily next year. Nothing to lose for him really. Tough luck to Freo 🤷‍♂️

I understand. Noticed how he used the word “likely” there? Didn’t use the word likely for any of the Collingwood players in that list. Ginnivan is the most comparable of the 4.
Nothing to lose from freo letting him walk. Will still get round one compo, and it won't slide to 25.

Well, we don’t know that it won’t slide as it is possible that it could.
Either way, there's no benefit of trading for him this year when we can get something almost identical or better next year. Collingwood also benefit by getting him for free next year.

Either way, there's no benefit of trading for him this year when we can get something almost identical or better next year. Collingwood also benefit by getting him for free next year.

Freo could also gamble it with Collingwood’s first rounder for next year. They will get a higher pick than they would with the expected walkout.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Lachie Schultz [Traded to Collingwood for #34 and F1]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back