Traded Lachie Schultz [Traded to Collingwood for #34 and F1]

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't be worse than 6 and 23 for Hogan who was then traded two years after for pick 54

Hogan 18 goals for Freo. Schultz 24 for Collingwood.

Its worse.

Hogan was and obviously is still a star. Off field issues, which were at the extreme end, caused Hogan to drop off football wise at Fremantle.

Collingwood overpaid after overrating their own list, and it has cost them far more than just draft picks. It cost them Ginnivan and any chance they had at Bailey Smith and Christian Petracca.

Its worse.

Hogan was and obviously is still a star. Off field issues, which were at the extreme end, caused Hogan to drop off football wise at Fremantle.

Collingwood overpaid after overrating their own list, and it has cost them far more than just draft picks. It cost them Ginnivan and any chance they had at Bailey Smith and Christian Petracca.
Hmm you can justify 18 goals for picks 6 and 23 if you'd like, but it's certainly a worse trade than Schultz. At least the Pies can say they made an error after winning a flag.

You don't know that it's hampered our ability to acquire talent this year. That is yet to play out.

Hmm you can justify 18 goals for picks 6 and 23 if you'd like, but it's certainly a worse trade than Schultz. At least the Pies can say they made an error after winning a flag.

You don't know that it's hampered our ability to acquire talent this year. That is yet to play out.

It 100% has hampered Collingwoods ability to acquire talent this year. How has it not?

Hogan had cancer, lost his dad and some incidents too. Freo cant control any of that.

Freo knew it was best for him to be away from Perth.

Collingwood overpaid massively for a C grade player.

It 100% has hampered Collingwoods ability to acquire talent this year. How has it not?

Hogan had cancer, lost his dad and some incidents too. Freo cant control any of that.

Freo knew it was best for him to be away from Perth.

Collingwood overpaid massively for a C grade player.
Hogan had cancer and his father died when he was at Melbourne. He went to Fremantle, partied hard and played awful football, so was traded for very little. I can come up with hypotheticals as to why Schultz has been a dud trade and it’s not Collingwood’s fault, but I won’t. I’ll assess the trade on the football that has actually been played.

The C-grade forward would have been Freo’s third top goal kicker, with more goals than any small. Freo also lost numerous games by narrow margins in a season they could have been a top four side and premiership contender. Freo fans have been chirpy all year, but the truth is you missed him bad.

Hogan had cancer and his father died when he was at Melbourne. He went to Fremantle, partied hard and played awful football, so was traded for very little. I can come up with hypotheticals as to why Schultz has been a dud trade and it’s not Collingwood’s fault, but I won’t. I’ll assess the trade on the football that has actually been played.

The C-grade forward would have been Freo’s third top goal kicker, with more goals than any small. Freo also lost numerous games by narrow margins in a season they could have been a top four side and premiership contender. Freo fans have been chirpy all year, but the truth is you missed him bad.

Weird comment.

Schultz has been terrible at Collingwood. Thats the on field part of it. You burnt the equivalent of pick 5 for a small forward who sits behind Hill, Elliott and Mccreery in the pecking order.

Hogan had kicked 40+ in two season before the age of 21. He was regarded as the best young KPF in the league. It was market value at the time.

Collingwood overrated their list, refused to make the tough calls on their old players, and paid way overs for a C grader. It was the start of the decline this season, which will continue into next.

Hogan had a navicular injury that sat him out for most of his time at Freo

But we can ignore that if you like

Jason Weber got the sack eventually, should've never passed his medical

We cut him a year early as he was gonna hit a lucrative trigger and we made the conservative call while not playing finals

Shocker trade I agree but he was clearly worth those picks

Weird comment.

Schultz has been terrible at Collingwood. Thats the on field part of it. You burnt the equivalent of pick 5 for a small forward who sits behind Hill, Elliott and Mccreery in the pecking order.

Hogan had kicked 40+ in two season before the age of 21. He was regarded as the best young KPF in the league. It was market value at the time.

Collingwood overrated their list, refused to make the tough calls on their old players, and paid way overs for a C grader. It was the start of the decline this season, which will continue into next.
The equivalent of pick 5? What? It's pick 10 + pick 34

Schultz has been disappointing at Collingwood, but not terrible. He was our second top goal kicker and his weekly forward half pressure enabled Collingwood's forward line to be one of the most efficient at scoring per entry in the competition despite numerous personnel issues. A combined 16 games from Mihocek and McStay meant Schultz played several weeks as a pseudo key forward. His role couldn't have been much harder. He has lacked polish and missed numerous gettable goals. Make no mistake, he'd have played every game at every club.

I don't really care what Hogan accomplished at Melbourne. Dayne Beams won a B&F and finished top 10 in the Brownlow in his last two seasons before re-joining Collingwood. His time at Collingwood was marred by mental health troubles that saw him leave after 9 games and never return. Was this a good trade for Collingwood trading 2x late first round picks because he was a superstar midfielder? Your logic says it is. The triumphant logic suggests we got no return on our investment and it was a horrible trade, much like Hogan.

Won't touch the last paragraph. You aren't informed on Collingwood's list at all based on it.

The equivalent of pick 5? What? It's pick 10 + pick 34

Schultz has been disappointing at Collingwood, but not terrible. He was our second top goal kicker and his weekly forward half pressure enabled Collingwood's forward line to be one of the most efficient at scoring per entry in the competition despite numerous personnel issues. A combined 16 games from Mihocek and McStay meant Schultz played several weeks as a pseudo key forward. His role couldn't have been much harder. He has lacked polish and missed numerous gettable goals. Make no mistake, he'd have played every game at every club.

I don't really care what Hogan accomplished at Melbourne. Dayne Beams won a B&F and finished top 10 in the Brownlow in his last two seasons before re-joining Collingwood. His time at Collingwood was marred by mental health troubles that saw him leave after 9 games and never return. Was this a good trade for Collingwood trading 2x late first round picks because he was a superstar midfielder? Your logic says it is. The triumphant logic suggests we got no return on our investment and it was a horrible trade, much like Hogan.

Won't touch the last paragraph. You aren't informed on Collingwood's list at all based on it.

Pick 10 + Pick 34 = pick 5 in the points index. Thats how trades are valued by clubs now.

I am informed on Collingwoods list, as its public knowledge.

Beams trade was horrific, but Collingwood paid market value. You cant change that.

Schultz would not have played every game at every club. That is a terrible call. Sydney, GWS and Brisbane would not have stood for his lack of output, and have players far superior in his position.

Its clear that the Schultz trade has come back to bite Collingwood already. Its how they get out of it now. They can definitely do that, as they have showed in the past, but at the moment its a long way back.

Pick 10 + Pick 34 = pick 5 in the points index. Thats how trades are valued by clubs now.

I am informed on Collingwoods list, as its public knowledge.

Beams trade was horrific, but Collingwood paid market value. You cant change that.

Schultz would not have played every game at every club. That is a terrible call. Sydney, GWS and Brisbane would not have stood for his lack of output, and have players far superior in his position.

Its clear that the Schultz trade has come back to bite Collingwood already. Its how they get out of it now. They can definitely do that, as they have showed in the past, but at the moment its a long way back.
The points have relevance if you need them. The Dockers don't have a F/S or academy player and nor do the Pies. Offer up 10+34 to Melbourne for pick 5 and see what they say. Those picks don't equal pick 5.

The Beams trade was horrific. Good call. But so was the Hogan trade.

The Giants are the only side that conceivably wouldn't have played Schultz every week as no club has put a premium on pressure forwards like they have. Nevertheless, Schultz would be top 5 for pressure acts, first for tackles inside 50, 7th for tackles total and he'd sit at least third in their goal kicking given the easier role with Hogan and Cadman/Riccardi playing so much footy. I'd wager he'd have played every game there too. Given the countless VFL forwards the Lions have rotated into the side at points, and Adams playing every game for Sydney - he'd have played every game there too.

It's a spud trade and no intelligent person will think differently, but save the hyperbole on it being a standalone worst trade in recent times when there are obvious examples of worse i.e. Hogan, Beams, Bowes, Weller, Pies pick swap etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Losing Schultz almost definitely cost us finals with how shit everyone under 190cm is and how poor our forward pressure is. "Winning" the trade is the least we should get for letting him go tbh. Yey, winning in October rather than September...

Losing Schultz almost definitely cost us finals with how shit everyone under 190cm is and how poor our forward pressure is. "Winning" the trade is the least we should get for letting him go tbh. Yey, winning in October rather than September...

Want Him Back ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Lachie Schultz [Traded to Collingwood for #34 and F1]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back