Player Watch Lachie Schultz

Remove this Banner Ad

Is that the deal where you get a vote by just turning up on game day?
Maybe this one is more reflective of his season by independent judges.

Didn't those independent judges give him a Brownlow 4 seasons earlier?

Didn't he poll the same amount of votes as Simon Black, Chris Judd and Anthony Stevens in 2003?

I just hope Shoota turns it around next year and makes the trade semi palatable.

TBH I had never even heard of him until we'd traded a future 1st :oops:

I remember when Chris Mayne came over from Freo and everyone wanted him sacked after a year. But he turned out to be a very good pick up in the end.

Mayne cost us nothing but money. And let's not go too far with 'very good'.

Mayne the player redeemed himself. Mayne, as an overpaid example of the systemic problems with out list management that continued to cause us all kinds of problems, never did.

Schultz wasn't the type of player we needed to be trading for, he clearly wasn't worth what we gave up for him, and he has been terrible on top of it. He was a bad call on several levels.

Hopefully Schultz can find some form but the odds of him ever being a 'hit' are extremely low.

Geez, folks can pile on quick around here! Schultz's forward pressure is outstanding and he brings a level of commitment to the team that others would do well to replicate. Yes, he missed a set shot on Friday noght, but he wasn't Robinson Crusoe there! I'd rather have Schoota in our forward line than most others, expecially with Beau as well.

Geez, folks can pile on quick around here! Schultz's forward pressure is outstanding and he brings a level of commitment to the team that others would do well to replicate. Yes, he missed a set shot on Friday noght, but he wasn't Robinson Crusoe there! I'd rather have Schoota in our forward line than most others, expecially with Beau as well.
Yep, as Fly said in his presser blaming is a loser behavior and in a notoriously hot and cold playing position Shooter plays well, nothing to see, has a quiet one out they come, it is inevitable. The club loves what he brings to the table, some BF posters not so much.

Mayne cost us nothing but money. And let's not go too far with 'very good'.

Mayne the player redeemed himself. Mayne, as an overpaid example of the systemic problems with out list management that continued to cause us all kinds of problems, never did.

Schultz wasn't the type of player we needed to be trading for, he clearly wasn't worth what we gave up for him, and he has been terrible on top of it. He was a bad call on several levels.

Hopefully Schultz can find some form but the odds of him ever being a 'hit' are extremely low.
Mayne had to reinvent himself, wasn’t playing the role he was intended to do. Well done to him, he got the best out of himself after the first year.

Lachie was a good pick up, we backed ourselves in on doing well again with a possible no.18-20 pick going west. We let ourselves down on the field and some injuries that came at damaging times, couldn’t get it rolling. We were topping up for another tilt. That tilt will be 2025 now

Getting kinda sick of that reference tbh, the only losing behaviour that it important right now is the (cumulative) one that is losing us games we should have won, including Friday night's effort in the last quarter.

Fly and our other game day coaches need to look in the mirror as much as anyone, clearly our system fell apart late in the season and there was literally no plan B. Sometimes you have to scrap, claw, and gouge your way to a win that goes entirely off script, but it was like we couldn't stomach the prospect of dialling things back to something simpler when things weren't going our way.

p.s. belongs in another thread, apologies for the derailment...
Why are you getting sick of something that's accurate? Cast your mind back to last year, sick of this? Very hard to please then and suddenly our coaches don't know what they're doing is the most remarkable claim.

Attachments

• b47ad7e96c2d53e09b8e074053bc7d663bbdbd85-16x9-x0y260w4984h2804.jpg
    b47ad7e96c2d53e09b8e074053bc7d663bbdbd85-16x9-x0y260w4984h2804.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 15
Why are you getting sick of something that's accurate? Cast your mind back to last year, sick of this? Very hard to please then and suddenly our coaches don't know what they're doing is the most remarkable claim.

In 2022/23, Fly went to great lengths week-in /week-out to praise the tactical nous of Leppa (forwards) and Bolts (backs) as his key assistants. Leppa moved the magnets in the coaches box and Fly, on the boundary, focused on man management / motivation. In fact, I can't really recall Fly ever having the headset on communicating with the box during a game.

In 2024, Fly's focus has remained but much around him has changed. Skipworth (senior asst & mids), Selwood (forwards) & Roughead (backs) now support him as senior assistants /line coaches and responsible for making the moves in the coaches box.

It's reasonable to assess the performance of the coaching group over the year ..it's in fact part of Bolton's remit as Director of Coaching, Learning and Leadership.

Last edited:

How about you try and read past the opening handful of words to put it into context, instead of just scrambling your way up onto the anti-hater bandwagon without a second thought.

Once again the only losing behaviours that are relevant here are the ones stopping us winning games and I'm sorry if it offends your sensibilities, but when someone isn't doing their best they should be putting their hand up and accepting responsibility, indeed I think you'll find that Fly has done that in an around-about way on a number of occasions.

There's a difference between honest, valid critique and troll-level shit-canning.

Mayne had to reinvent himself, wasn’t playing the role he was intended to do. Well done to him, he got the best out of himself after the first year.

Lachie was a good pick up, we backed ourselves in on doing well again with a possible no.18-20 pick going west. We let ourselves down on the field and some injuries that came at damaging times, couldn’t get it rolling. We were topping up for another tilt. That tilt will be 2025 now

I can almost understand the misplaced optimism about what the future holds.

But to emphatically declare the current situation already a hindsight victory suggests even the FBI's finest cult deprogrammers would be pushing shit uphill.

I mean, at least the Heaven's Gaters expected to wake up in a space ship, they didn't declare choking on their own vomit a win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has his tackles broken on the regular

I remember when Chris Mayne came over from Freo and everyone wanted him sacked after a year. But he turned out to be a very good pick up in the end.

No he didn't, he played some decent football. Let's not rewrite history, our ball movement significantly improved when he was out of the team. Every time he got the ball he stopped and kicked sideways or backwards.

No he didn't, he played some decent football. Let's not rewrite history, our ball movement significantly improved when he was out of the team. Every time he got the ball he stopped and kicked sideways or backwards.
he wasn't on his own doing that ..wasnt that the bucks mantra..madgen and co played like they were in the 1960s

How about you try and read past the opening handful of words to put it into context, instead of just scrambling your way up onto the anti-hater bandwagon without a second thought.

Once again the only losing behaviours that are relevant here are the ones stopping us winning games and I'm sorry if it offends your sensibilities, but when someone isn't doing their best they should be putting their hand up and accepting responsibility, indeed I think you'll find that Fly has done that in an around-about way on a number of occasions.

There's a difference between honest, valid critique and troll-level shit-canning.
How about you stop acting like you know more about AFL coaching than our actual coaches do. Fly made very it very clear, blaming is loser behaviour, it's an actual quote from his last presser that I and a lot of other people happen to believe so if anyone wants to blame Shooter for the clubs performances that's their choice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Lachie Schultz

Remove this Banner Ad

Back