Player Watch Lachie Schultz

Remove this Banner Ad

excellent.

check two other stats:
  • 1991, 2011, 2024 performances .. why?
  • GF conversion / success rate since 1960 ..why?
i'm not talking transactional, i'm talking through-line / cultural / endemic .. bloated, satiated, complacent, hubris ..why?

collingwood always kills collingwood!

fly's words should resonate ..how can we get better .. we should strive for more
It sounds like supporting the Pies is a real struggle for you..

Last edited:
We've only missed finals 5 of the last 18 seasons, with 2 very different groups of players winning flags in that time. Which also means that we've been given well below average recruiting chips from the AFL. Pretty hard to imagine that that has occured with poor recruiting or list management..

Yep this season was annoying, but considering the following teams didn’t win a flag between 2010 and 2023:

• Adelaide
  • Brisbane
  • Carlton
  • Essendon
  • Fremantle
  • Gold Coast
  • GWS
  • North Melbourne
  • Port Adelaide
  • St Kilda

we’re not too bad.

People want to complain that one premiership is not enough whilst criticising the club for trading for ready made players to deliver another premiership. 🤷‍♂️
Except he hasn't even helped us make the finals this year. A small forward was clearly not a position of need and gave us very marginal improvement.

If he was a midfielder/KPF/KPD then people would have a lot less issue with the trade.

excellent.

check two other stats:
  • 1991, 2011, 2024 performances .. why?
  • GF conversion / success rate since 1960 ..why?
i'm not talking transactional, i'm talking through-line / cultural / endemic .. bloated, satiated, complacent, hubris ..why?

collingwood always kills collingwood!

fly's words should resonate ..how can we get better .. we should strive for

Except he hasn't even helped us make the finals this year. A small forward was clearly not a position of need and gave us very marginal improvement.

If he was a midfielder/KPF/KPD then people would have a lot less issue with the trade.
So what, it's hard to go back to back, Geelong missed out last year and they're back in the mix this year, why not us? Some people just like to bitch and complain about everything and they would just love to pull the club apart so they can take it up a notch! Just relax, the club has a plan, it's better than yours and we'll bounce back in 25.

Unfortunately key position players aren’t readily available and we’d lost one small forward and another is nearing the end with serious injury concerns. It was an area we needed to fill as well.

Small fwd was just as much a position of need as any other with the loss of Ginnivan the impending retirement of ellliott and the probable transition to midfield of mccreery

Doesn’t really change the facts. Ginnivan was on the outer for most of last season anyway . If you think his move to hawthorn was purely his call then you’re a bit naive

Point is he wasn't a need. And given Ginni was still a contracted pie order of events do matter when making your claims to the contrary.

Point is he wasn't a need. And given Ginni was still a contracted pie order of events do matter when making your claims to the contrary.

The club had enough of Ginni rightly or wrongly and targeted Shultz who was a better character off field and played a more aggressive defensive style that fits the game plan. Contract or no contract the club determined that Ginni wasn’t the best fit, hence why he spend a lot of 2023 in the seconds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps the same 5 posters that want to continually and non stop criticise the trade can make a thread to spend years bemoaning it. What fun that would be.

You’d think instead of Pie draft picks the trade was paid for with their money.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Perhaps the same 5 posters that want to continually and non stop criticise the trade can make a thread to spend years bemoaning it. What fun that would be.
Looks like I have to say it again. Schultz has been well worth the pick we traded for him. He's had a good year and I think we'll really see his value next year.

Did not really impress me this year given the build up from his trade. Watched the Melbourne game and noted that he gets the ball enough and tackles etc. but the decision making could be better. Had the ball in hand and kicked to wide open space missing Elliot, then later another opportunity with a poor handball....turn-over and goal for Melbourne. This needs to improve.

I somewhat agree he wasn't a need, but the club wouldn't have anticipated no McStay and then no Mihocek in that forward line for a big part of the season. We have to admit he has looked better with McStay in the side. Also rumours were around that we were after Tom Doedee (i guess no draft pick given) but how would people now feel if we had given him a 4 year deal

Looking at his stats in previous years, the most noticeable drop off was goal assists where he only recorded 0.2 goal assists a game this season. Need to find a way to get him more comfortable in our system. His stats in 2023 and 2022 were very good

Looking at his stats in previous years, the most noticeable drop off was goal assists where he only recorded 0.2 goal assists a game this season. Need to find a way to get him more comfortable in our system. His stats in 2023 and 2022 were very good
Funnily, I don't think it was for a lack of trying. It seemed to me that his biggest butcheries were often when he tried to give the footy to others.

I think he'll be more comfortable next season, hopefully with some KPF health...

Funnily, I don't think it was for a lack of trying. It seemed to me that his biggest butcheries were often when he tried to give the footy to others.

I think he'll be more comfortable next season, hopefully with some KPF health...
I also think team mates were giving him the ball when he probably wasn't in the best position, in their efforts to help him out more. They knew what he was copping from the media & supporters.

Did not really impress me this year given the build up from his trade. Watched the Melbourne game and noted that he gets the ball enough and tackles etc. but the decision making could be better. Had the ball in hand and kicked to wide open space missing Elliot, then later another opportunity with a poor handball....turn-over and goal for Melbourne. This needs to improve.
I agree-but that was not the Schultz I admired at Freo. If there was a 50/50 decision to be made it seemed Shooter would always choose the wrong option. The more time he had to think about it the worse his decision making was for most of the season. The instinctive action was usually okay but even then he was missing targets by hand and foot.

He was still an important contributor in spite of these negatives so with a bit of a reset you can see the scope for huge improvement. I think he will feel more comfortable in his second year and less pressure to prove himself to the army.

Last edited:
That'll happen when we have a couple of big targets more cosistantly up forward for him to feed and feed off. McStay and Checkers going at it will only help the likes of Shooter and Bobby at ground level in our forward line. Next year will be interesting...

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Lachie Schultz

Remove this Banner Ad

Back