Player Watch Lachie Schultz

Remove this Banner Ad

We expected more from him, but he's still a quality player. 6 of on and half dozen of the other.
I rated him a 6.5 but then again I use a bakers dozen as my scale.

If he doesn't kick more goals, have more score involvements and overall more dangerous touches next year then i'll be concerned. The tackles + inside 50 tackles are elite, but i wanna see 30+ goals out of him like his 2023 year. Also hoping for a blessed run with injury, not 1 in 2 out, 2 in 3 out, etc like it was this year.

If he doesn't kick more goals, have more score involvements and overall more dangerous touches next year then i'll be concerned. The tackles + inside 50 tackles are elite, but i wanna see 30+ goals out of him like his 2023 year. Also hoping for a blessed run with injury, not 1 in 2 out, 2 in 3 out, etc like it was this year.
Agree somewhat but injury cannot be controlled.
That goes with any player.

So what’s the risk free approach?
Invest in proper drafting. They either don’t have faith in Hine to pick, and if that’s the case they should have looked to replace him a couple of years ago. If they do have faith in him, then back him in to pick a good player with pick 10-12. That’s just my view.

Invest in proper drafting. They either don’t have faith in Hine to pick, and if that’s the case they should have looked to replace him a couple of years ago. If they do have faith in him, then back him in to pick a good player with pick 10-12. That’s just my view.
If we went all in in this year’s draft. Would you be one of the ones complaining 3 year’s later when they're all struggling to come on. We aren't in a position to hit the draft this year because we don't have the draft picks.

If we went all in in this year’s draft. Would you be one of the ones complaining 3 year’s later when they're all struggling to come on. We aren't in a position to hit the draft this year because we don't have the draft picks.
Don’t trade the pick is my point. We don’t have a decent pick because we wasted it in Schultz.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah true. Who would you take with freos first pick this year though. High picks don't guarantee anything really.
Of course they don’t. I just think you need to get the right people there to pick. We saw Ed Allan in the last game really show something and give us some excitement going into next year with him and Nick in the middle. We have to remember that all players come through the draft. We can’t keep relying on other teams to draft them and develop them for us.

Of course they don’t. I just think you need to get the right people there to pick. We saw Ed Allan in the last game really show something and give us some excitement going into next year with him and Nick in the middle. We have to remember that all players come through the draft. We can’t keep relying on other teams to draft them and develop them for us.
It's going to be like this for the next 2 years. We are going all in for a flag over the next 2 years. It's why we decided to keep our veterans. People need to get used to the idea for the next 2 years. I'll take another flag over the next 2 years rather than being bog average.

I'll take another flag over the next 2 years rather than being bog average.
If those are the only two choices…
giphy.gif

It's going to be like this for the next 2 years. We are going all in for a flag over the next 2 years. It's why we decided to keep our veterans. People need to get used to the idea for the next 2 years. I'll take another flag over the next 2 years rather than being bog average.
100%, me too. You just don’t give away firsts for average players. You do it for stars. We’d just won a flag and had Ginnivan there and Harrison and Richards capable of playing that small forward role. He wasn’t a need. He was a “nice to have.”

100%, me too. You just don’t give away firsts for average players. You do it for stars. We’d just won a flag and had Ginnivan there and Harrison and Richards capable of playing that small forward role. He wasn’t a need. He was a “nice to have.”
I'm old and greedy bro. I've seen so many losses that I just want to witness as many flags as possible before I hit the manic asylum in the sky

When are you guys going to realize we were never going to win a flag this year, and highly unlikely to win a flag next year. Just look at the profile of the Brisbane team that beat Geelong last night - mostly young players in their early 20's drafted in the national draft at draft picks between one and twenty. Zorko and Neale are great players in their veteran years, but they need a layer of young players beneath them in the midfield who can run all day. Geelong have been carried by Selwood and Dangerfield; now they only have Dangerfield who will be 35 next year. Once Max Holmes got injured last night the rest of the team were history. Brisbane have not only drafted high, they have half of Queensland to choose to groom in their academies. Please explain to me how we're going to beat Brisbane, GWS or Sydney next year with a 37 year old Pendlebury and 34 year old Sidebottom with only Nick Daicos and maybe Allan coming through the midfield? Schultz is a defensive forward. Good as he is, he isn't the answer to a premiership in the next couple of years. However, drafting well with your high draft picks, particularly midfielders who can run all day, is the way forward to nabbing another premiership. Giving away a number nine draft pick in the national draft for a player like Shultz was plain folly.

When are you guys going to realize we were never going to win a flag this year, and highly unlikely to win a flag next year. Just look at the profile of the Brisbane team that beat Geelong last night - mostly young players in their early 20's drafted in the national draft at draft picks between one and twenty. Zorko and Neale are great players in their veteran years, but they need a layer of young players beneath them in the midfield who can run all day. Geelong have been carried by Selwood and Dangerfield; now they only have Dangerfield who will be 35 next year. Once Max Holmes got injured last night the rest of the team were history. Brisbane have not only drafted high, they have half of Queensland to choose to groom in their academies. Please explain to me how we're going to beat Brisbane, GWS or Sydney next year with a 37 year old Pendlebury and 34 year old Sidebottom with only Nick Daicos and maybe Allan coming through the midfield? Schultz is a defensive forward. Good as he is, he isn't the answer to a premiership in the next couple of years. However, drafting well with your high draft picks, particularly midfielders who can run all day, is the way forward to nabbing another premiership. Giving away a number nine draft pick in the national draft for a player like Shultz was plain folly.
We'll win next year

Fair enough though the draft is just a different gamble than trading. FWIW I feel that Hine has been in the role too long and would like a refresh in his department. Hopefully Leppa shakes things up and it sounds like he will take a fresh look at our approach which I welcome.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Lachie Schultz

Remove this Banner Ad

Back