Lachie Whitfield

Remove this Banner Ad

Well from your logic then Callan ward had attitude problems when he left the dogs. Just because they left for the money doesn't mean they have a poor attitude.

I couldn't care less about Boyd leaving for massive dollars. I'd do the same from my job if I got that kind of offer - good on him and good on the Dogs for getting him. I respect players who leave for the money much more than those that leave because of homesickness.

I'm just curious as to how his character is, such that attitude issues are completely outside it, given the statement made in the post I replied to.

I couldn't care less about Boyd leaving for massive dollars. I'd do the same from my job if I got that kind of offer - good on him and good on the Dogs for getting him. I respect players who leave for the money much more than those that leave because of homesickness.

I'm just curious as to how his character is, such that attitude issues are completely outside it, given the statement made in the post I replied to.

Well tell me how you derived that Boyd had attitude problems. He probably left for money the same way Ward and Scully did.

Boyd is probably earning 600k - 700k more than what he would have got this year at the giants.

Of course GWS would have been annoyed to see Boyd go. He was the number 1 pick the season prior. As we were with Griffen in fact our whole board was mortified that our captain walked out.

Your claim that Boyd had attitude problems at GWS is complete rubbish.

Well tell me how you derived that Boyd had attitude problems. He probably left for money the same way Ward and Scully did.

Boyd is probably earning 600k - 700k more than what he would have got this year at the giants.

Of course GWS would have been annoyed to see Boyd go. He was the number 1 pick the season prior. As we were with Griffen in fact our whole board was mortified that our captain walked out.

Your claim that Boyd had attitude problems at GWS is complete rubbish.
That's nice. Still waiting for your mate to explain Boyd's character though.

So committed that he hasn't signed a new deal yet that no doubt would have been offered to him by now
Might not even have been offered one, or might be waiting until the new CBA is agreed. Can't read much into players putting things on hold with a potential increase in the cap coming up.

That's nice. Still waiting for your mate to explain Boyd's character though.

I'm still waiting for the basis as to why you would claim Boyd had attitude problems. I'm not interested in you attacking someone trying to defend your baseless claims, a claim that came off your own bat.

I'm debating your point and not his.

How is his character exactly?

Seems to be a natural leader. Very mature etc. Luke Beveridge speaks highly of him in that regard.

Christian Petracca credits Boyd with helping him pull his head in a bit as well.

Of course this is just me putting 2+2 together. But it seems a bit more astute than claiming "attitude problems"

Seems to be a natural leader. Very mature etc. Luke Beveridge speaks highly of him in that regard.

Christian Petracca credits Boyd with helping him pull his head in a bit as well.

Of course this is just me putting 2+2 together. But it seems a bit more astute than claiming "attitude problems"

When he was at GWS he was stand-offish, didn't really mix with the guys, and had a bit of a "too good for this" air. It could well have been never buying in because he knew Carlton and other clubs would be putting in the godfather offer once his two years were up and was just biding his time until then (supposition on my behalf, but it makes sense), but that's what is usually meant when people refer to his attitude problems in Sydney. It's also part of why the club and players didn't really miss him. I can see him being satisfied once he had his payday and buying into the new club more but that was ultimately my point - just because he's displaying good character traits now, it doesn't rule out issues elsewhere.

Rumours been on the Hawthorn board since his first season that we were into him. but 16 other clubs are probably into him as well. Is a fine player.
Hawthorn really pushed for trading of future picks, may Whitfield be the reason for it? Maybe. I don't know ahaha

When he was at GWS he was stand-offish, didn't really mix with the guys, and had a bit of a "too good for this" air. It could well have been never buying in because he knew Carlton and other clubs would be putting in the godfather offer once his two years were up and was just biding his time until then .

Could be correct. But then again GWS at that time would be an odd environment to walk into as an 18 year old at that time. Think about it this way: instead of walking in as a junior player and having a lot of senior figures to look up to youve instead essentially joined an under 21 team with a few older heads who are only new to the club themselves.

I do remember that it was the players leadership group that told management to agree to the trade when they werent going to and then Jezza got on twitter giving him a send off.
Kinda showed what our squad thought of him.

Of course that's natural. Boyd didn't want to be there, why would the players want him to be there? Wonder if they did the same for McCarthy?

That tweet also says a bit about "jezza" to be honest. He's a bit of a sook on field, doesn't mind sniping much smaller blokes and seems like a bit of a ******** off the field with tweets like that. Probably counts Tom Scully and Callan Ward as mates despite the open hypocrisy over his words about Boyd

Of course that's natural. Boyd didn't want to be there, why would the players want him to be there? Wonder if they did the same for McCarthy?

That tweet also says a bit about "jezza" to be honest. He's a bit of a sook on field, doesn't mind sniping much smaller blokes and seems like a bit of a ******** off the field with tweets like that. Probably counts Tom Scully and Callan Ward as mates despite the open hypocrisy over his words about Boyd
Boyd was pretty much a w***er for the entire time he was up here.
Everyone was glad he was gone.

Enjoy. He will probably come good sooner or later.

Edit. Treloar and a few others left for more money and were wished well etc. Only boyd got the send off. Think that says more about boyd than us.

Now back on topic?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Boyd was pretty much a ****** for the entire time he was up here.

Edit. Treloar and a few others left for more money and were wished well etc. Only boyd got the send off. Think that says more about boyd than us.

Now back on topic?

Out of interest, can you direct me to any info or even posts here about Boyd being a bit of a ****** prior to him leaving? Or did it just come out that he had been a bit of a ****** all along when he was traded?

Out of interest, can you direct me to any info or even posts here about Boyd being a bit of a ****** prior to him leaving? Or did it just come out that he had been a bit of a ****** all along when he was traded?
Not going to be your search engine.
Most of us thought he was always going because of his actions when he got drafted.

Its pretty straight forward. The only trade the playing group got involved in and also commented negatively on was Boyds. Not rocket science.

Edit. If you want to discuss Boyd further then do it in a Boyd thread.

Boyd was pretty much a ****** for the entire time he was up here.

Now back on topic?
You guys are STILL filthy he left aren't you?..

Atleast you have judas to soften the blow.

Really?
Lamb
Whiley
Phillips
Bruce
Darley
Edwards
Jaksch
O'Rourke
Hampton
Townsend
Frost
Plus a few I've forgotten
Nearly all left on the back of club brokered deal to pursue opportunity.
The AFL requires teams to reduce their list at the end of the year, it's the rules, we may have liked to keep them all, but a list size of 70 odd would be the outcome.

Not entirely sure what this has to do with Lachie, he will re-sign, as will Ward, the majority of player managers are advising their clients to wait on the new TPP cap to be announced.

What?

Frost left for more opportunity? What a load of tripe. In his last year with GWS he played 16 games as a 20 year old key defender. Don't try to rewrite history, GWS didn't want to lose him but they had no choice

What?

Frost left for more opportunity? What a load of tripe. In his last year with GWS he played 16 games as a 20 year old key defender. Don't try to rewrite history, GWS didn't want to lose him but they had no choice
Correct on frost.

He wanted to be in Melbourne to be closer to his brother who he has a very close relationship with. Of course I was bummed about losing a kid who we have a chance in the afl via rookie list. But these things happen

Taylor Adams for Heath Shaw - GWS win
Boyd for Griffen, pick 6 and Griffen's wage paid by he dogs - well at worst a draw
Treloar for two first rounders and a pick swap was the only trade NOT involving a player wanting to GO TO GSW - prob a loss

I thought you'd be more aware of the list strategy tbh, it involved picking as many first round talent as possible and then trading them out (as is required under list management rules and salary cap restrictions) for equally high draft picks in the next draft.

Of the above, Adams was surplus, Boyd a prick openly disrespected by his team mates, again, Treloar the only real loss.
FWIW Treloar wanted to stay at the club, Gubby decided his staying was less important than others and re-signed them first, what was left wasn't enough to satisfy Treloar (and fair enough too given what pies offered) and so he left, actioning the 2nd paragraph above in the process.

The majority of players traded out of the giants have been moved on to create room for new recruits and to ensure players starved of opportunity get moved on rather than stay and build a growing pool of discontent.

The loss of the Lamberts, SOS & Gubby combined within a few months is a lot more worrying than what's happening with our actual list, which is in pretty decent shape.

I would not Call Adams for Heater a Automatic GWS Win

What?

Pretty sure the line reads "nearly all"

Remove this Banner Ad

Lachie Whitfield

Remove this Banner Ad

Back