Ladies and Gents, I Introduce to you the AFL's Most Underrated Coach of All Time!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Ladies and Gents, I Introduce to you the AFL's Most Underrated Coach of All Time!

Bloods Rule! said:
After playing both teams in the finals, I reckon the Swans will be more nervous facing the Cats next year than facing the Saints. That's because the Cats played with heart until the final siren. The Saints simply gave up - and that was against a team that should have been exhausted.

That can only partially be blamed on Thomas' remarkable record of breaking his players.

The Swans owe the Saints a debt of gratitude for that R10 Dome thrashing. Every team has down games and that was certainly ours for 2005. It was a great wake-up call and the bounce back led to our Premiership. Thinking it indicates what will happen in R11 2006 when the Premiers play the Saints at the SCG is delusional.

I can't quite get over how foolish this post is.

Where do I start?

Firstly, the Cats wilted with 10 minutes to go when their experienced players were missing. Not sure if you happened to catch the game in between watching episodes of Queer as Folk, but if Geelong had have played out the game with heart until the final siren, you wouldn't know who Leo Barry is. He'd still just be one of those guys who plays that game that they watch down south who wears the tight shorts that you Sydney boys like to fantasize about.

I'm not quite sure about the Saints giving up. To the uneducated AFL follower, or even the level below that, or one step lower - Sydney supporters, it may have appeared that way. But to anyone else it was quite obvious we were overrun by a more experienced, healthier team with a full squad.

I'm not sure why Sydney should have been exhausted either?? Although I guess if you rely on the football media for your reference, you have no choice but to believe that sort of rubbish.

I'd say the Swans owe St.Kilda no amount of gratitude. I'd be directing that gratitude towards AFL house.

As for what happens in R11 of next year, I would suggest it would have the same relevance as R10 last year. None.

You deadset idiot. Fair dinkum, I can't believe I still get stupified by the footballing intellect of some people. But I do. Incredible.

Spot on Bloods!

If GT is such an underrated coach, then why is Saintsational in a continuous cycle of grief at the moment?? Why were the faces of the Saints fans at the PF so ashen halfway through that final quarter??

Because they expected St Kilda to win it in 2005! The betting odds agreed with that mood all year long too, as both WC and St Kilda topped the odds to win from the pre-season onwards.

So to rebutt the ridiculous claim of the original poster... GT is not even close to being the most underrated coach in the AFL. In fact, current record has both he and his team ludicrously overrated. The current odds have the Saints as equal favourites to win in 2006 FFS!! Unless they do, GT will be overrated once again, and if they DO win he will have been rated correctly.

Re: Ladies and Gents, I Introduce to you the AFL's Most Underrated Coach of All Time!

Lavender Bushranger said:
I'm not quite sure about the Saints giving up. To the uneducated AFL follower, or even the level below that, or one step lower - Sydney supporters, it may have appeared that way. But to anyone else it was quite obvious we were overrun by a more experienced, healthier team with a full squad.

I'm not sure why Sydney should have been exhausted either?? Although I guess if you rely on the football media for your reference, you have no choice but to believe that sort of rubbish.

The Swans certainly were more experienced - that's because they were slogging their guts out against the Cats the week before while the Saints were relaxing while watching the game over at chez Thomas (gay enough for your preconceptions?). The week off is generally regarded as a major advantage but it wasn't enough to give the Saints some backbone when it counted. Come finals and "we're stars - give us the win" doesn't work any more, does it?

As I said before, I presume you are new to footy. Or you might understand that the Cats ran out of puff because they tried to play Sydney at its own man-on-man game - and it nearly worked for them except they didn't realise how hard it was to maintain for four quarters.

This is a fascinating thread as it's clear that supporters of every other team understand the Saints better than their own supporters do. But I guess if they did there would be a groundswell to get rid of Grant Thomas. Try it - it worked for the Swans. We wanted Paul Roos and got him - and he delivered the flag to us exactly when he promised to. Meanwhile GT can't think past "we have a really talented team - let's go to the movies . . ."

Joffaboy said:
Apparently Doofy the Sydney n00b.

Dont expect sense from this n00b. Only discovered Sydney this year. He will work out what game they play in a year or two.

Dont argue with idiots LB, they will only drag you down to their level, or are you Foxing? ;)
Bwahahahaha

Leo.J said:
By the way I may sound bitter but I'm not, I'm just a little lost. I generally thought the best team won the flag, Adelaide or WC would have been fitting premiers, but it makes me shudder to think that Lewis Roberts-Thompson has a premiership medal, along with some others. It sort of degrades the honour of winning a premiership medal and the flag.
LRT was probably 2nd BOG @ 1/2 time, just behind Wirrapunda.

Bloods Rule! said:
The Swans certainly were more experienced - that's because they were slogging their guts out against the Cats the week before while the Saints were relaxing while watching the game over at chez Thomas (gay enough for your preconceptions?). The week off is generally regarded as a major advantage but it wasn't enough to give the Saints some backbone when it counted. Come finals and "we're stars - give us the win" doesn't work any more, does it?

As I said before, I presume you are new to footy. Or you might understand that the Cats ran out of puff because they tried to play Sydney at its own man-on-man game - and it nearly worked for them except they didn't realise how hard it was to maintain for four quarters.

This is a fascinating thread as it's clear that supporters of every other team understand the Saints better than their own supporters do. But I guess if they did there would be a groundswell to get rid of Grant Thomas. Try it - it worked for the Swans. We wanted Paul Roos and got him - and he delivered the flag to us exactly when he promised to. Meanwhile GT can't think past "we have a really talented team - let's go to the movies . . ."

You're definately kidding.....

Doofy said:
LRT was probably 2nd BOG @ 1/2 time, just behind Wirrapunda.

Leo J, who obviously doesn't watch much footy, queried this. So it's interesting to see that Terry Wallace in the Hun rated LRT as 5th for the Swans (behind Leo, Amon, Nic and Baz). Only Judd and Cousins rated higher than LRT amongst the Eagles and he was rated as level with Wirra. LRT was one of only three Swans (Leo and Tadhg the others) to play the whole game but he had a less spectacular 2nd half and that would have cost him points.

A lot of players fall apart in pressure games (the Saints en masse obviously) but LRT certainly lifted when it counted. So he has a Premiership medallion and Robert Harvey doesn't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When Sydney kept their best 22 on the ground in the final months of the season, it was more down to good management than luck.

Source

Doofy said:

OMG :eek: PWNED.

The n00b has sourced the official swans website using an article with no byline.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Well cant argue with that type of "source" can you :rolleyes:

plough said:
McBain said:
mcFly, what is the stupid part? that you didn't read it in the papers, therefore it didn't happen. I bet you are still wondering why cunningham left.
Perphaps I need to flesh it out a little further for you, figured being a saints fan thought you might have had some idea but here goes:
GT - Aussie, you had a great year last season but this year was pretty crap, you are lazy and we need to work you harder. I am going to flog you on the track and you will have the biggest preseason you have ever had in your years here.
Aussie - no thanks, geez thought I might have earned a little respite to look after these old legs

Perphaps you have an alternate theory on why a player would walk away when the team has a genuine premiership chance. What's he going to do , share a couple of medallions with Milne and Montagna?

I reiterate, the saints are a good side with long suffering and generally likeable supporters, GT is the problem, but then again maybe I'll just be another Alan Scott

well mate, how many other sides are chasing Aussie's signature ?
think that pretty much sums up where his head/heart are at

Joffaboy said:

The n00b has sourced the official swans website using an article with no byline.

As you are so simple that you need everything attributed, I've included the full quotations below. Bylines are now used more often because journalists have become glory seeking. It used to be that serious journals of record would not use bylines because every story is produced by the editor, the journalist, the fact checkers, the sub editors, etc - certainly not just one person. Choice magazine still doesn't run bylines as up to 80 people contribute to every article. Similiarly anything run on any AFL website certainly has been vetted by the club concerned and the AFL.

The article -

When Sydney kept their best 22 on the ground in the final months of the season, it was more down to good management than luck.

Years of data management and analysis by the Club's medical group allowed the Swans to cohere into a damaging outfit capable of taking out the flag.

Club doctor Nathan Gibbs said the players who ran onto the MCG on the final Saturday in September were fit and healthy.

"We didn't have that many soft tissue injuries which was great and that was reflected in the few operations required in the post-season," Gibbs told sydneyswans.com.au.

Gibbs believes the main difference to previous years was more data to alter the individually design programs of each players that starts from pre-season training and continues throughout the year.

"There is a lot of individualism to all the programs for each player now based on what is good or bad for them," he said.

"It's based on injury history and it's based on performance and it is correlated with training modes.

"In other words we look at how hard people train every week of the year, and we correlate it with their performance in games which we get from best and fairest points.

"We also correlate all that information with when people get injured and we then correlate it with a training load subjective, how hard they are training and muscle soreness they feel and these sorts of things.

"(Physiotherapist) Matty Cameron, (Elite Performance Manager) David Misson and myself have been monitoring all those variables for three seasons and the main difference this year was that the more information you culminate about an individual the more you can fine tune their program because you know more about them.

"Sometimes the only way you know how hard to push someone is when they breakdown so a lot of the expertise in running this type of program is based on hindsight which is obviously very inexact.

"For example when someone hurt their hamstring last year we look at all the variables that led up to it happening and try to change it so it doesn't happen again.

Gibbs feels that despite being extremely time consuming to collect all the daily data; it was validated with the "great last three month performance record we had of a virtually full list, a healthy team that played the Grand Final and ten weeks prior."

I wonder if Grant Thomas will pay attention. Does it fit his management model?

Bloods Rule! said:
As you are so simple that you need everything attributed, I've included the full quotations below. Bylines are now used more often because journalists have become glory seeking. It used to be that serious journals of record would not use bylines because every story is produced by the editor, the journalist, the fact checkers, the sub editors, etc - certainly not just one person. Choice magazine still doesn't run bylines as up to 80 people contribute to every article. Similiarly anything run on any AFL website certainly has been vetted by the club concerned and the AFL.

The article -

Years of data management and analysis by the Club's medical group allowed the Swans to cohere into a damaging outfit capable of taking out the flag.

Club doctor Nathan Gibbs said the players who ran onto the MCG on the final Saturday in September were fit and healthy.

"We didn't have that many soft tissue injuries which was great and that was reflected in the few operations required in the post-season," Gibbs told sydneyswans.com.au.

Gibbs believes the main difference to previous years was more data to alter the individually design programs of each players that starts from pre-season training and continues throughout the year.

"There is a lot of individualism to all the programs for each player now based on what is good or bad for them," he said.

"It's based on injury history and it's based on performance and it is correlated with training modes.

"In other words we look at how hard people train every week of the year, and we correlate it with their performance in games which we get from best and fairest points.

"We also correlate all that information with when people get injured and we then correlate it with a training load subjective, how hard they are training and muscle soreness they feel and these sorts of things.

"(Physiotherapist) Matty Cameron, (Elite Performance Manager) David Misson and myself have been monitoring all those variables for three seasons and the main difference this year was that the more information you culminate about an individual the more you can fine tune their program because you know more about them.

"Sometimes the only way you know how hard to push someone is when they breakdown so a lot of the expertise in running this type of program is based on hindsight which is obviously very inexact.

"For example when someone hurt their hamstring last year we look at all the variables that led up to it happening and try to change it so it doesn't happen again.

Gibbs feels that despite being extremely time consuming to collect all the daily data; it was validated with the "great last three month performance record we had of a virtually full list, a healthy team that played the Grand Final and ten weeks prior."

I wonder if Grant Thomas will pay attention. Does it fit his management model?

When Malcolm Blight was coach, we had a terrible run with injuries. Mick Malthouse has had a bad run for 2 years also. Add Leigh Matthews this year also, and Kevin Sheedy often complains about soft tissue injuries.

Interesting that Thomas seems to be the only coach held accountable for his players injuries, and Paul Roos some sort of hero for preventing them.

The doctors and fitness staff are putting their hands up as the ones who magically prevented soft tissue injuries for Sydney - yet when GT suggests that Training Services are the ones in charge of our fitness, it is him passing the buck??

Odd.

You left out this bit "We didn't have that many soft tissue injuries which was great and that was reflected in the few operations required in the post-season," Gibbs told sydneyswans.com.au.

David Parkin has said that injuries for the season generally can be predicted by the preseason injury rate, the above comment to me would support this, management may play a part in this, but luck would also. As how Paul Roos can take credit for this I don't know.

Leo.J said:
You left out this bit "We didn't have that many soft tissue injuries which was great and that was reflected in the few operations required in the post-season," Gibbs told sydneyswans.com.au.

I'm not sure who the "you" is as that is certainly in the text I posted?

Joffaboy said:

The best part of you really is runnig down your fathers leg, isn't it.

Doofy said:
The best part of you really is runnig down your fathers leg, isn't it.

The best part of you was flushed off to Werribee this morning (or where ever Sydney's sh#t goes).

Remove this Banner Ad

Ladies and Gents, I Introduce to you the AFL's Most Underrated Coach of All Time!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back