Laids: "Carried a few passengers tonight"...

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 29, 2002
Our Native Land.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Shinboners,Rooboys,Kangas
In Laids press conference he thought we had a few passengers in the side,Who do we reckon they were?

Looking at the replay,Watson(serious doubts on the lad now).Stevens,Picioane all had shockers.I know with Well's and Jess back next game and the likelyhood of Eddie getting more time in the middle are these 3 in trouble come seasons end?

Ashley B said:
From what i have heard Watson maybe struggling, which is unfortunate for him.

Perhaps North isn't the club for him or he just isn't ready for the AFL. Not saying that he isn't good enough. Just a late developer. Question is whether North give him one last roll next week or just swing the sharp AXE at the end of the season. SANFL can be his calling. Good Luck to him.

The thing that sucks is did anyone see what Watson did steaming off a HFF at the bounce, got in and under at full pace and dished out an insanley clean hand ball to Grant setting up a late goal.

We know he is has skill. But he just can't seem to get himself into the game.

Stevens and Piciaone are obvious outs for Jess and Wells. Sansbury's last quarter was fantastic, he earnt a recall.

Wasn't sure about Watto until that tackle with a steaming ruckman coming at him. Unlike someone like Grant, he took the tackle head on and made it stick, causing a turnover. His skill is great and I would like to see a little more of him at the level.

I was dissapointed Laidley didn't give Watson a full quarter. It is tough to get into a game running on and off. Maybe we can excuse Piciaone who has been benched 60 times this season. haha.

FFS Woodson, give the kid a chance! Playing against the best midfield in the comp and you've sacked him already.

I'd like Dean to give him to have another two or three games, but might be hard with Jess and possibly Wells back this week.

Passengers would be Rocca, Watson, Stevo and Picioane. They did a few things that were okay but all in all they didn't do a whole lot. It doesn't mean their careers are over, etc. Just didn't do much during that game.

windsock said:
FFS Woodson, give the kid a chance! Playing against the best midfield in the comp and you've sacked him already.

I'd like Dean to give him to have another two or three games, but might be hard with Jess and possibly Wells back this week.

Well Windsock, there have been other players in recent years that haven't stabilised themselves and other folk here have made similar comments. I just don't see him surviving the cut of Kangaroo listed players if he can't get games. Whether North can fit him in with others due to return as you've mentioned I don't think I'm being unreasonable. And for North to pick Ash for the first time this season against one of the best midfields is putting the kid under bigger pressure. **go figure** I just reckon he can do better with other opportunities at a lower level. Never branded him a poor player. Wrong place, wrong time that's all and if my prediction is right, I won't be one to be surprised. If he however comes good and string a few games and proves his worth then alot on BF ought to be laughed at starting with myself. I'll be happy for you to SERVE it up to me in that case. :p

Tas said:
Passengers would be Rocca, Watson, Stevo and Picioane. They did a few things that were okay but all in all they didn't do a whole lot. It doesn't mean their careers are over, etc. Just didn't do much during that game.

Pretty much.

I don't think Dean was bagging blokes, simply stating that we got close to WC with about 4 blokes not given us a whole lot. As you said, all of them did some ok things, just not enough to make the difference I suppose.

Surprised no-one has mentioned Makepeaces' game. With a player like Matera who is quick and can take a grab you can't give him an inch. Yet Troy gave him far too much room.And what about the 2nd quarter when Matera flew and took the mark 20 out. Troy was standing at the back of the pack hoping everyone else would miss it and the ball would magically fall into his lap! Lucky Matera missed the easy shot. He got caught holding the ball not long after that and in the last quarter i think Wiirrapunda was on him when Troy shifted forward and well, who was the Eagles best defender in the last 10 minutes? Wirrapunda. Matera got a few roving goals just because Troy wasn't close enough to put any pressure on him. Hopefully it was just an off night and he'll bounce back. I don't envy his job of playing on the best small forward every week but i thought his efforts last night were ordinary.

daggles said:
Surprised no-one has mentioned Makepeaces' game. With a player like Matera who is quick and can take a grab you can't give him an inch. Yet Troy gave him far too much room.And what about the 2nd quarter when Matera flew and took the mark 20 out. Troy was standing at the back of the pack hoping everyone else would miss it and the ball would magically fall into his lap! Lucky Matera missed the easy shot. He got caught holding the ball not long after that and in the last quarter i think Wiirrapunda was on him when Troy shifted forward and well, who was the Eagles best defender in the last 10 minutes? Wirrapunda. Matera got a few roving goals just because Troy wasn't close enough to put any pressure on him. Hopefully it was just an off night and he'll bounce back. I don't envy his job of playing on the best small forward every week but i thought his efforts last night were ordinary.

Makey is a very poor matchup for Matera, I would have tried Pratt who may get killed on the lead (not that Makey could stop those leads) but he is more accountable. I just think Laidley let it go too long.

Makey has limitations but we need him to rebound out of defense. I think JYD didn't do him a lot of favours leaving him on Matera for so long before changing it.

We really need an accountable small defender.

daggles said:

Makeys game has been discussed in plenty of threads. Cost us the game!

How many times did he jump second and third man intio a contest and leave Matera unguarded. It was just so obvious. Undisciplined, poor footy that was probably the difference between winning and losing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Moti said:
Wasn't sure about Watto until that tackle with a steaming ruckman coming at him. Unlike someone like Grant, he took the tackle head on and made it stick, causing a turnover. His skill is great and I would like to see a little more of him at the level.

Official stats from the AFL website:

Ashley Watson: 1 kick, 2 handballs, 0 tackles

Oops.

Sexiano Ronaldo said:
Official stats from the AFL website:

Ashley Watson: 1 kick, 2 handballs, 0 tackles

Oops.

Who took those stats? Watch the game again, and see the tackle in the middle.

Oops.

Sexiano Ronaldo said:
In AFL website I trust. :eek:

Seriously, I don't recall Watson laying a tackle on anyone. I'll take your word for it over Moti's though.

He did dude. Wasn't a bad one either. I fully expected him to get steamrolled. Standed up to it ok. Couldn't get a kick though. Got one and fluffed it.

Give him the Hawks game. If he looks lost, he gets overtaken.

mav said:
who ever was playing on Wirra wasn't a passenger, they fell overboard on Friday night. Not sure why we just didn't tag him after his first qtr.

Michael Stevens was moved onto him. I would have thought he would have been told to be with Wirra all the time even though Wirra was the backman. He ran around lost, hardly touched the ball and let Wirra play the way he wanted, by himself.

I thought Wirra and Matera were always going to be our problem and it was proved to be true. A very poor game that will probably cost him his spot in the team.

sick_unit said:
Why did they even play Watson? He seems to get scared when the ball comes near him. He is a good VFL player but will never be a good AFL player.

He does look at times to be the bunny caught in the high beams but when you get one game a year and are only really brought in because of an injury to another player then I am sure he has zero confidence and has a lot of pressure on him.

Like all players that get tested, they should be part of a rotation and given a good month of football. But, it is hard when the club is playing for a finals spot.

McIntosh never got that kind of run either. A lot of players don't. Monster does look tired the way he is playing, I doubt he will get that run this year unless people drop like flies.

NorthBhoy said:
Who took those stats? Watch the game again, and see the tackle in the middle.

Oops.
he he. yeah exactly.

the herald sun recorded him as having 1 tackle but for some reason the afl website have neglected to acknowledge it.

probably the best tackle of the game too I'd say he he.

Remove this Banner Ad

Laids: "Carried a few passengers tonight"...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back